The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

You don't have to buy it ;) Don't think I've bought a shirt since the Treble one, though that has more to do with the dicks in charge than the look. Costs half a car as well these days.

I won't be doing. Haven't had once since 2003 or something like that. The last one when Beckham was still at the club.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"This season’s tailored, button-down collar boasts three buttons at the front and one at the back, a modern twist that’s also intrinsically Mancunian"

a modern twist that's also intrinsically mancunian

Was the same with last year's tablecloth, err, shirt. Goes back to the industrial start of Manchester, when that design apparently was famous. Grew to like last year's too, with time, but think the new one looks much better. Clean and nice design, and proper red. The black collar looks a little 'off' somehow, think I prefer it white, but overall not a bad design. The diagonal stripes on the goalie kit looks a little weird though. Speed stripes for a mid-air DDG? :D

Is Nani in any of the new kit photos?
Don't think he is but is it that relevant? I think Sturridge was in the kit shoots for our new kit(s) last season and he ended up going in January and this season Torres has been on the main ads for the kit but he'll [hopefully] be gone this summer.

Last kit I bought was the V home shirt. And only because I got it for £15 or something the summer it went. Really liked that shirt but wish we could do some countries do and buy the shirt without the sponsor.

Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Where's the fun in that? Saying Nani is United's best winger now is like saying Strachan was United's best winger in 1986. The competition is negligible.

Couldn't really blame him if he wasn't arsed though. I think it's the exact opposite though & he tries too hard when he does get given a chance.

I wouldn't want him lining up against us for Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs. That's how I judge how good our players are.

Not sure he'd fit with Chelsea but Wenger might be able to get the best of him given the chance. He's always played very well against Arsenal, especially that game at the Emirates in 09-10 where he tore Clichy to shreds.

Players like Nani will be missed when we sell, Glazer pockets the dosh and we are left with Valencia, Young, Giggs, Zaha & Kagawa as our wide options. The top clubs in Europe are calling in witchdoctors and priests as we speak because they are so scared.

Couldn't really blame him if he wasn't arsed though. I think it's the exact opposite though & he tries too hard when he does get given a chance.

This. His best time with us has been when he was playing every week and knew that.

When he's in and out of the team, he tries too hard to prove himself.

Nani starting for us will make us better and more of a threat. No idea why some people want him sold.

Nani is our best winger but he has been doing one step forward, two steps back for a while now (injuries, red cards, the odd bad game, etc.). I can't help but think he's not been given as fair a shot as, say, Young or Valencia, though, who could have been dropped several times over.

Part of the reason why I don't want him to go is because I know we will regret it. I'd prefer Moyes to give him another chance with a clean slate. I'm not sure £20m is enough for him in this climate, either, although I guess we don't have much bargaining power.

I really don't want him to go to another Premier League club, like Rooney.

As I see it, the Ronaldo situation is Mendes (Ronaldo's agent) playing hardball with Perez and asking for his client to be the best paid player in La Liga + the world. As for Ronaldo, at this point in his career, he is probably happy either continuing for Madrid or returning to us, so for him, its not a problem that Mendes is doing it.

As for us gathering the finances for it, I would imagine the club does have the people looking into arranging for it, just so that option is always open and available, probably looking to one of our sponsors - probably Nike - to subsidize part of it.

However, incumbency is a huge advantage - if Perez gives Ronaldo what he wants (or what Mendes thinks is best for his client), he will probably stay.

it depends on whether he did actually sell his house, as he is rumoured to have done.

Are you saying that if Ronaldo has sold his house then he is coming to us? Couldn't if just have sold to buy another house in Spain?

Don't know why he's being called Guillermo Varela. His actual name is Jim Varela. His dad named him Jim rather than a traditional south American name because he was a huge Jim Morrison fan. 100% true story.

EDIT: Turns out that Jim is a different player to Guillermo. Both play for Penarol but Jim is a year younger. Both have been called up for Uruguay's U20 squad for the U20 WC later this month.

Apparently, he'd had a trial for us last season so I presume this is a pre-Moyes deal that he's happy with? Not sure what he can offer that Smalling/Jones/Fabio can't offer us as cover for Rafael. Does this mean Jones is a shoe-in for CM? I heard that Fletcher is back in training, can anyone confirm this?

Probably a signing similar to Büttner. Not good enough to play for us regularly, but provides competition and backup for Rafael. Doesn't hurt to have a real rightback in addition to Rafael. I expect Fabio will be playing more on the left.

You dog Cleverley. More benefits to being a good footballer besides great money and doing what you love. Not a bad life they have...

So that's one defender down. Now I'm just waiting for the central defender. Maybe a backup striker too? :D

Cabaye flirting with us via Canal+ it seems. Really like him but not sure if he's too similar to Cleverley, while being two and a half years older. If Ando's off and we don't get fleeced then he could be a decent addition. Still not what we really need though; will be a bit concerned if we go into the season as Jones and whatever's left of Fletcher as our defensive midfield options besides Carrick.

Archived