The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as we get at least £20m for nani I wouldn't be sad to see him go. Yes he's good on his day but I don't think he's consistent enough. Part of that was probably being played out of position but I think it's still partly down to his poor decision making/selfishness. Equally I wouldn't complain if he stays as on his day he will destroy teams.

I know he's a very love/hate player and there probably aren't many better wingers out there. But there are probably more consistent/reliable wingers and I'd prefer those.

He is undeniably a top class player, but I'd be happy rto see him go for £20m plus. Can't think the last time he had a good match and I think it's at the stage now where he won't ever consistently produce his best form for us and he needs to move on. Similar with Rooney. He is one of the best players in the world on his day but last 18 months has been well below par, would not be disgusted if he was sold for £40m or more.

Of course both situations require us using the money on replacing them with someone better not using the money on a dozen cheap youngsters with potential.

2012/2013 - 11(4 as a sub) games. 4 goals, 1 assist.

2011/2012 - 29(5 as a sub) games. 5 goals, 8 assists.

2010/2011 - 33(2 as a sub) games. 9 goals, 14 assists.

He probably needs to play games to be consistent...

2010/2011 - 31 games 9 goals 14 assists

2011/2012 - 24 games 5 goals 8 assists

2012/2013 - 7 games 4 goals 1 assist

He probably needs to play games to be consistent...

Andrew basically shooting down those who criticise him. Nani must not be sold and if he is, £20m is too low as we can't get a player half as good for that amount.

Not really shot anyone down.

He has been poor for a while, even last season when he played regularly enough to find consistency. He's just totally lost his edge and he don't think he'll find it again with us. Nani is more than good enough for us, but he hasn't shown that for far too long. Young just isn't good enough for us and never was, that was a poor buy on SAF's part.

Nani needs to stay - Moyes can put an arm around him, play him at RW and watch the assists/goals flow. Tony can go - he's not versatile enough (our only winger who can only play one side) with one trick which doesn't work, then all he's got is the breaking shin cross. Hopefully a purchase of a RB means that we're not desperate enough to play him there either.

That is my only hope for Nani, the fact that Moyes is coming in so he gets a fresh start, so to speak. I'd honestly love to see him get game time and start the opening games of the season, and show the form he is really capable of, but it would really be his very last chance to show he deserves to stay as he just hasn't produced over the past 18 months.

Agree with you on Valencia. I could happily see any of Nani, Young and Valencia go, as I've said before as long as they are replaced with better players. If we can't replace them with improvements then keep them, but I feel there is something wrong if we can't bring in players of better quality than Young and Valencia.

Oh absolutely, if Nani wants to leave then Moyes should just say fine you can go. I've considered it, because his performances on the pitch haven't been those of someone who wants to stay that badly. Either way if he wants to leave, I'm not fussed.

I'd much prefer us to keep Nani (and use him on the right). He only has a year left on the contract, though, and I don't want him to leave for nothing. The quoted prices are outrageous (12m euros ffs? :mad: ), but I guess 20m-ish is better than nothing. The main issue is what Nani wants though. If we put ourselves in his shoes, it's not unreasonable to want to leave. He can play week in week out on the right wing for other top clubs, so it must be very frustrating for him to not do that here, and by now be relegated to a bit-part role. The hope is that Moyes will change that, but it may be too late. Moving to for example a club like Galatasaray is quite the step down, but perhaps he just wants more regular playing time at this stage in his career.

There is a very efficient player in Valencia, so the hope is that player comes out again. It's only a year ago he tore the PL apart on a regular basis and took home all our end of season awards. The issue has been on the left really, at least mainly so. Young isn't good enough, and Nani isn't as good there as on the left. Zaha will get his games on the left, but he is unproven in the PL and will probably take time to settle in. He'll get his chances, especially if Nani leaves, but I'm not expecting any miracles. He is still a rough player we will need to mould.

I'd much prefer us to keep Nani (and use him on the right). He only has a year left on the contract, though, and I don't want him to leave for nothing. The quoted prices are outrageous (12m euros ffs? :mad: ), but I guess 20m-ish is better than nothing. The main issue is what Nani wants though. If we put ourselves in his shoes, it's not unreasonable to want to leave. He can play week in week out on the right wing for other top clubs, so it must be very frustrating for him to not do that here, and by now be relegated to a bit-part role. The hope is that Moyes will change that, but it may be too late. Moving to for example a club like Galatasaray is quite the step down, but perhaps he just wants more regular playing time at this stage in his career.

There is a very efficient player in Valencia, so the hope is that player comes out again. It's only a year ago he tore the PL apart on a regular basis and took home all our end of season awards. The issue has been on the left really, at least mainly so. Young isn't good enough, and Nani isn't as good there as on the left. Zaha will get his games on the left, but he is unproven in the PL and will probably take time to settle in. He'll get his chances, especially if Nani leaves, but I'm not expecting any miracles. He is still a rough player we will need to mould.

Agree however, SAF for whatever reasons had Valencia has his number one player on the right form be damned so that affected Nani as well. If it's a straight choice between Nani or Toni, it's got to be Nani as he can do the unpredictable, which is what could win us the tight games against top opposition. Nani can also float inside and switch to the other wing for periods as well which again makes him much more flexible. What we need is another Nani, who can play down the left - is that Zaha?

Suppose it all depends on what formation Moyes wants to play - player purchases and sales for us this summer will be very interesting to watch.

If I recall, the primary issue with Nani is that he expected a vastly better contract, perhaps bringing him close to where the club pays Rooney. I would imagine that Fergie told him bluntly he's not that good (read: consistent enough) and we will not break the wage structure again and it all spiraled from there.

I really don't want to see Nani go, since in reality, all our wingers are on a lower tier than him in terms of raw ability. Hope Moyes when he comes in settles this once and for all.

Sold Ronaldo, brough in some one trick pony from Wigan, didn't miss Ronaldo

We'll sell Rooney/Nani, bring in Wittingham and Odemwingie and won't skip a beat

Odemwingie :D

Don't even joke about that :D

To those defending nani and saying we shouldn't sell for £20m - please don't go in the summer transfer thread as you will probably explode at the talk of people suggesting we bite someone's hand off if they offer 10-12!!

Gala offered us £6m and we said we want £8.5m and they sniffed their nose at it. What a crap thing we are about to do.

Will like to see what quality we "might" buy if we sell Nani because we all know that we will not be replacing him.

Only way I'd consider that anything slightly above criminally insane is if Moyes has plans for some wingless wonders Mk II. Is that £8.5m even reliable?

But yes, the transfer thread is ridiculous.

Add that to Arsenal whateverhisnameis banging on and on about how Bale's not worth £Xm. No **** sherlock, no person is worth an amount of money, but if you're Real, you buy players for stupid money. He's just butthurt that Fabregas and Van Persie went for reasonable money.

Gala offered us £6m and we said we want £8.5m and they sniffed their nose at it. What a crap thing we are about to do.

Will like to see what quality we "might" buy if we sell Nani because we all know that we will not be replacing him.

We rejected 6m and asked for 8.5 according to someone at Galatasaray. Not sure how much credence I'd put in that. No wait, I am sure. Absolutely none

Allright, I nerded out a bit with statistics from transfermarkt on Nani. For all the talk about his inconsistency, at least when it comes to the goals and assists he brings, he looks pretty damn consistent. Even this season it's not half-bad.

NANI    M     G    A    P/M    Min    Min/P

12/13   21    3    6   0,429   1306   145
11/12   40   10   15   0,625   2852   114
10/11   49   10   20   0,612   3667   122
09/10   34    6   15   0,618   2460   117

Not surprisingly, his best seasons are when he has played regularly, with a goal or assist roughly every 1.25 matches. Not as good this season, but even so, 9 goals/assists in 21 matches isn't exactly crap. We know he can be frustrating at times in terms of decision making, but I dare you to find another player with as consistent supply of goals+assists adjusted by matches or minutes. Of course football is more than just goals and assists (though they are rather important parts of it), but if people have doubts about the quality of this player and think we are lucky to get 10 million for him, they need to sit ashamed in a corner for a good while.

Oh yes, there are other players who have similar rates or (much) better, but I was talking about the consistency. 0.612 to 0.625 goals+assists per game across three seasons is pretty damn even.

Anyway... guess there won't be much news on the transfer front until Moyes is back from vacation. Or is Gill still on top of these things? Hopefully we have identified a few players well ahead in time - pretty sure that's how United work on these matters - and some deals are being worked on. Hopefully Martin Ferguson leaving won't upset too much of the scouting knowledge on such matters.

I think you missed the fact that I was in no way being serious? And the fact you said players could have a higher rate but you were talking about consistency could have been read as Ronaldo not being consistent enough.

I'm bored so I played off that for no particular reason

Clearly a horrible player then. We should sell him for a pint and a slice of pizza.

(Hold the Anderson jokes).

In actual news, or rather speculation, Moyes may bring quite a few guys over from Everton, including their chief scout (to replace Martin Ferguson).

I'm still finding it hard to wrap my head around the fact Sir Alex won't be here next season :( Quite worried how it all will go as well. Hope he gets a flying start so there won't be questions asked right away from the usual quarters.

Archived