The MLS - Where Stars Go To End Their Career

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So cool to see so many people into the MLS! As a Spaniard living in Chicago, I just started one save in the Windy City.

I brought Eddie Johnson (on a free) and a couple more players, hoping to get into the playoffs easily and go from there.

Question---anybody know why I would have ZERO money in allocation in the beginning of the game? I thought all teams started with some?

Another question--this will be the first season that I make it to the Superdraft--are the young players really quality?

I know about MLS rules, but not about FM MLS rules. Anybody care to explain what the criteria for players that don't count against the cap are?

Thanks guys, you rock!

Just started again with the new patch with the union, started part way throught season as started with the english start date, played 3 and won 3 so far Adu is still the player I remember from the past and will do all I can to get him to be the best player in the world. Will keep updating even tho the boards pretty much dead.

I recently finished a season with Philadelphia where we won the Supporters Shield and Open Cup but lost in the playoffs to dallas after a 0-0 fist leg, getting 2 red cards in the 2nd leg, scoring in ET but giving up a PK in the 119' and losing in penalties.

My top eleven were:

--------Mondragon

Alston Califf Materazzi Pearce

--------Carroll

Le Toux---------Banner

----------Adu

Mwanga------Pontius

top right off your overview page, or may be inbox - says assistant advice. Where you'd go to request a loan overview for european clubs and it says buy designated slot. If you cant find it there go into your club overview and its once again in the top right and simply says pick extra designated player slot

End of the first window and my transfers are!

http://imageshack.us/f/685/philadelphiatransfershi.png/

Awesome someone else using Philly!

I got a little transfer happy and this what my roster looks like at the end of my first season

screenshot20120324at710.png

Mwanga, McInerney, and Hoffman aren't showing on the screen shot.

Cordoba won defender of the year

Le Toux won MVP

and Johnson won Goalkeeper of the year

Awesome someone else using Philly!

I got a little transfer happy and this what my roster looks like at the end of my first season

screenshot20120324at710.png

Mwanga, McInerney, and Hoffman aren't showing on the screen shot.

Cordoba won defender of the year

Le Toux won MVP

and Johnson won Goalkeeper of the year

I have made Adu captain, want to bring through young homegrown talent, so now I have brought in the players time to use drafts from now on and free transfers if decent players get released.

Brilliant that there are a lot of people now playing the MLS :)

If anyone wants an alternative MLS style, more european with a total structure take a look at this I now have this setup constantly in all my saves. Although i miss the salary cap/draft the draft system is floored in FM anyways:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/301080-MikeMagnum-s-Alternate-MLS-North-America-2.0-Level-8

Thought i would give the MLS a shot, so picked Portland Timbers kind of at random. Trying to use a WM formation, 3 at teh back, 1 DC 2 FB's. Still getting head round the transfer stuff here :p Trying to get some good players. Picked up Rivaldo on a free :D so I at least have someone who can take a corner or freekick :p First challenge is to try and get a good DC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started a MLS save, and started unemployed and got the New England job straight away. I don't some decent transfer business

Bobby Boswell - £95k

Brad Davis £60k

Gaudette - free

Desmarets - free

Jaqua - free

Arthuro - free

Boswell and Davis have been absolutely superb.

I was expected a mid table finish, after 33 games I think I have 68 points, so will finish with the highest points total. I also got a very good run in the US cup and we won that.

Hopefully have a decent crack at the playoffs and see how far I can get. Hopefully get New England's first MLS cup! Overall I'm really enjoying this save.

In addition to the Senior Contracts where it states: "They are hard capped by the league at how much you may offer a player p/wk at $5,750 [£3,580 or €4,214]", does any MLS club have a wage budget, or can you just offer as many contracts as you want, as long as it doesn't go past the £3,580?

• 1 month later...

I'm going to start one I think but I think seeing as this will be my first time in a MLS season (That I am actually going to sit down and play) I will have to go for L.A. Galaxy

I always enjoy an MLS save just not had one this year because of some of the bugs I've read about are they fixed now? Hope SI have the league running smoothly would be nice to have a long term save and see what stars you could tempt over after building up your clubs rep

I always enjoy an MLS save just not had one this year because of some of the bugs I've read about are they fixed now? Hope SI have the league running smoothly would be nice to have a long term save and see what stars you could tempt over after building up your clubs rep

Not sure about the bugs, but I am guessing they would've been done via the patch. Well I am doing one and seeing if I can get my head around all the rules with MLS lol!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the only one I noticed to play with Columbus Crew. One of the most underrated teams in the league. When you start you have Mendoza (ST) in his early 30's, he is good, but not worth anything in transfer market. I picked up Alex Rafael for $85k and still have him in 5 seasons. The draft aspect is very fun, but not always beneficial to the team lol. I beat Barcelona once in competition(ok so Messi was out with a broken jaw, but still impressive) I could go toe to toe with just about any team. Most people hark on the MLS as a bad league, but if you manage it right, you will be impressed with the talented youth you can pick up(Gale Agbossoumonde is a must in MLS, if you have $250k to spend, do it he is a beast in the air, and not much gets by him) try to avoid international youth unless you look for national under-19,20, 21,or 23's as they will sometimes be brilliant and not have the looming transfer in the millions. If you want an exciting league, with multiple competitions, look no farther.

I'm interested what you all think :)

Drafts are fun, usually don't find too many 3+ star players, but with the right training and enough match experience, they will turn out to be decent players. Occasionally you find a gem, I found one on the first year draft who had 4.5 stars, I didn't get to draft him but I traded a lot of cash(my entire budget) 3 picks and a shotty player to get him. He now has 127 goals in 5 years. Not usual findings, but they are there sometimes. Also trade players you don't need, maybe you have 5 Strikers, to get draft picks. I usually sigh a foreign player that has 3 stars, play him about 6 months then trade for picks. Another suggestion is to look at the American Second Division teams(Michigan Bucks, Cincinnati Kings, etc.) during the year an scout players you might think you need or might become stars on your team.

Hope it helps :)

Can someone explain to me the draft system rules please?I won the league in my first season(by 20 points btw) and im seeded 13 in the draft,what the hell?Why am i not first?And if a player is drafted by a team,can i draft him also somehow?And let the player choose who to pick?

The draft order is the reverse of the standings from the previous year. So the team that comes bottom will get first pick. This ensures that team's have as equal chance at succeeding as possible.

The draft order is the reverse of the standings from the previous year. So the team that comes bottom will get first pick. This ensures that team's have as equal chance at succeeding as possible.

Thank you.What happens when a player is drafted and refuses to join the team?I wanted to draft a player,another team drafted him,but he refuse them.How can i get him?

Thank you.What happens when a player is drafted and refuses to join the team?I wanted to draft a player,another team drafted him,but he refuse them.How can i get him?

You should be able to sign him after the draft is over.

Im pretty sure that the club own his rights and if you want to sign him then you will have to make a deal with the club for his rights and then you can offer him a contract. I think!

Just ventured into the MLS for the first time on any FM and haven't a clue what's happening with the draft's and what not! So confusing it's unbelievable.

Is there any way to fast track to the title and the champions league? As in i'm playing a career game and I have just gone into the first two drafts and the player's in there were to say the least "rubbish" so should I swap those drafts for established player's? I want a team for now as i'm trying to win the Champions League and then on to a different continent.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any sort of help.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading ollies very helpful thread a month or two ago I was inspired to start an MLS save.

Im a Norwich City Fan (yes we have computers in East Anglia), and a few FM's ago two of our players left in real life for Toronto FC and I started a save with them but after an hour I immediately deleted that save as I didnt have a clue what was going on and had never experienced rules like it.

Fast track a few years and I stumbled upon this thread and following a few minutes reading up on the rules I felt confident to go for another MLS save.

I can honestly say its the most fun ive had on Football Manager in years. Really refreshed my love for the game I constantly buy year after year. Why?

Because its a totally different experience in the MLS to anything ive ever tried.

I started my save as Seattle and since have found out there most likely one of the better £ supported clubs outside Red Bulls & Galaxy so that was a pretty good lucky dip choice at who to start with.

Im about 5 games away from finishing the regular season and leading the MLS by a country mile and also qualified 1st in my group of the champions league! Won the US Open cup fairly easy but thats prob most likely because until the final I didnt face anyone of true quality and even in the final I whooped Galaxy 4-1 even though over 50% of the 1st choice line up was injured.

In short ive found it quite easy to achieve success quickly. Although I obviously have not played over a season yet so whether it gets harder I cannot say. Ive also not experienced a real draft yet (only the waste of time waiver draft that not one team made a pick in).

I seem to have got together a top team while also gaining LOADS of 1st and 2nd round draft picks which is something I didnt expect as with the rules how ive read them I expected it to be one or the other.

The rules can be tricky but are easy to manage if you know what your doing.

I firstly drafted all my dead wood or players I simply didnt need or were on more than there ability was worth. I managed to get Brad Davis from Houston for some allocation money, an awful reserve player and a few supplementary picks (which from what ive read here are not worth much anyway). He has been amazing and is a must for anyone taking over an MLS team. Cultured left foot! Signed him to play Attacking left wing in my tried and tested formation. But due to injuries hes covered in the centre and even right wing for me and his performances have never dropped.

Heath Pearce at left back has been superb for me & Ike Opara is a huge prospect at centre back.

One thing that is hard to juggle at times is the salary cap. Ive spent my entire season trying to juggle that and moving players on because ive literally spent the season constantly about £12 ish under budget and then when signing someone or offering a new contract to people I have to re juggle.

You can increase your salary cap slightly by talking to the board and taking money from your allowcation fund. Ive done this many times as ive found if you offer any of your players to non MLS clubs a whole host of scandinavian clubs come in for them. Only down side is the MLS usually take over 50% of any transfer money you make from selling a player overseas so be careful when selling. This has always generated enough money for me to increase my salary cap though.

Only having 3 DP slots is annoying but not a problem though. At Seattle im very happy with 2 of my DP players as they have constently been on there game all season but one of my DP's has been injured on and off all season so im thinking about getting rid of him during pre-season and attempting to find a better DP though im nervous/excited about this prospect as up til now ive not even set my sights high enough to look for players of that stature.

The media is already saying Im set to be offered the LA Galaxy job should Arena leave but I doubt id take it in all honesty as the way I read it Money isnt really a factor in the MLS (other than offering your players contracts etc) and id be worse off at Galaxy because theyve sold Donovan an Beckham isnt getting any younger.

Ill stay at Seattle until I want a new challenge in another country. Dunno where I Fancy heading next. Brazil, Mexico, Europe? The worlds my oyster.

thanx Ollie for your incredibley helpful post!

Im struggling to find any good american youngsters. Any suggestions? I have 9 foreign players

I signed Charles Renken, I googled and he was supposedly linked with a move to Arsenal a few years ago, so he might be ok on the game

Apologies for slow reply but been stupidly busy.

In my team currently ive just finished my first season and won the supporters shield, us cup & MLS. The window has just opened again so all teams are now snapping up players for draft picks, especially as all clubs know what those picks are really worth now.

I hoping there are some good young regens on the horizon ready for draft.

As for youngsters already there from the start gale agbossoumonde is a Boss at centre back. Ive got a deal set up for his transfer and he will sign in 2012. Rules meant he could not join any sooner sadly.

Ike Opara from San Jose has been superb for me. Tall centre back with very high Potential Ability. Didnt cost the world either. Exchanged a player plus a pretty worthless supplemental draft pick.

Im away from my laptop at the minute so cant confirm what ages these players are but I signed AJ DeLaGaza and he has been a great squad player. Can play anywhere along the back line and even though he has mostly been a sub for me hes been vital through his versatile nature.

Mauricco (think thats the right spelling) Alves I got for free and was one of my first signings but he isnt american. Brazilian left wing/striker.

Trying to rack my brain who else Ive got youth wise.

I tried all season to obtain juan agudelo but La Galaxy always knocked me back but finally now at the end of the season they accepted one of my bids. 7 draft picks over the next 3 years. (the picks were mostly supplemntal picks + a few 3rd round picks). Hes currently similar to what I have at the club striker wise but he has greater potential ability so Ive taken a punt on him.

Ive found it hard to get quality youngsters from the non MLS teams in the US but it is possible. Occassionally youll get a lottery for a player that clubs can enter. There are alot of duds offered and you can only win once a season but there are a few ok ones.

Mata! lol How much you fork out for him and what age did you get him.

was it easy to get Michael Bradley back to the MLS? Obviously im only 1 year into my MLS save and not got to the point where any big name U.S players are ready to return and ened there career in the states. Hard to attract anyone of decent quality yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Im struggling to find any good american youngsters. Any suggestions? I have 9 foreign players

I signed Charles Renken, I googled and he was supposedly linked with a move to Arsenal a few years ago, so he might be ok on the game

Robbie Rogers is a good AM, Eddie Gaven is a nice playmaking ML and MC, Chad Marshall is top notch defender. Freddy Montero is a great attacker, Also Gale Agbossoumonde is a very good player for 250k from Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

Mata! lol How much you fork out for him and what age did you get him.

was it easy to get Michael Bradley back to the MLS? Obviously im only 1 year into my MLS save and not got to the point where any big name U.S players are ready to return and ened there career in the states. Hard to attract anyone of decent quality yet.

Mata was a free from Chelsea, got him in 2018 and let him go in 2022.

Took me a while to attract any big name players but the likes of Bradley, Mate, Borini, Nasri, were in the MLS. Borini was a machine.

Archived