The MLS - Where Stars Go To End Their Career

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm Philadelphia Union on Razer82's FM12 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge (So a season in)

Current transfers in are.

Max Tonetto

Marco Materazzi

Lucuas Pusineri

Graham Zusi

Ike Opra - Trade worth 300k

Looking for a ST and can be a DP.

Ile Opra is a great signing. getting a dp striker can be harder then the rest of the positions because there are alot of good strikers who will nto come to the MLS right now untill the leagues rep go's up.

Just finished my second season with the Portland Timbers. Here is my advice for those not used to the MLS rules and implementation on FM:

1. Don't buy anybody

2. The first round of the Superdraft is a good way to pick up players, subsequent rounds not so much

3. The supplemental draft is not worth much...trade these picks for established fringe players

4. The waivers draft of players released from their clubs is the greatest thing ever. Always keep two roster spots available for this.

5. Don't overpay for players. I only have one player over $3k per week.

6. If you search/scout for unattached American players over the age of 22, you can sign 6 per year (discovery)

7. If you search/scout for American players below the age of 22, you can't buy or sign them. You have to hope they enter the draft and most probably will not. Don't get mad.

8. You will get graduates from your own academy each winter, but they will not be good enough

9. There is no risk to player contracts in the MLS (because the league actually owns all players). Renew contracts of fringe players without a second thought. You can release them just before the season at no cost if you find a better replacement. These are the players that make up the waivers draft.

10. If you sell a player to a foreign club, the league takes most of the money. All of my foreign transfers net only 33% for my club and 67% for the league. Don't be mad. I find it better offer players to other MLS clubs in exchange for Superdraft picks.

My team:

-----------Cooper-----Nagbe------------

Zakuani----------------------------Nyassi (i have both twins on my team)

--------Jewsburry------Alexander------------

Wallace------Brunner--------John------Palmer

------------------Seitz----------------------

I'd like to offer some tips for managing in the MLS, as well.

1. The 6 discovery players limit is pretty restrictive. I suggest you look inward to other MLS clubs for most players and save your discovery player slots for key players.

2. Try to load your team with players with contracts that don't count towards the salary cap. This will allow you to sign more of those $300K per year guys.

3. Offer your least important, lowest PA players to other MLS clubs. You may get a good offer and have nothing to lose.

4. Constantly scout MLS players. There are multiple reasons for this:

a. Players may get cut and you will not have enough time to scout them before making a decision to pick them up or not.

b. You may get into situations where you need an emergency player, have only $50K per year in salary cap space, have reached your discovery player limit, and can only sign Americans. Who are you going to try to trade for? I hope you already scouted.

5. Avoid European players. You pay a premium for their EU citizenship and have to compete for them against much richer clubs, in case you haven't already noticed, and MLS budgets are too tight to afford them. There are exceptions of course, such as players in their mid-30s and those from certain central and eastern European countries.

6. Instead of Europe, look for players in South America. They offer the best value for MLS clubs and there are many players there who would be a star for MLS clubs. Mexico is more expensive but you can find some good deals there too. I haven't had much success finding good players for low prices in the Caribbean or Central America.

7. Sack your staff. They are probably all crap anyway and you won't have to pay them off to leave. Hire a mix of foreign coaches to improve your scouting network.

8. Assume that you will not draft anyone useful with your post-2nd round Superdraft picks and all of your Supplemental draft picks. I suggest trading all of those picks away during the season. Don't be afraid to offer them liberally when you negotiate rejected trades.

9. After your clubs season ends and before December 31, try to re-sign your remaining players with expiring contracts. Some of them, especially younger guys and guys who filled in for injured players will demand too much money and you will not want to re-sign them. The two best ways to get rid of them are:

a. Offer them to other MLS clubs, I guarantee you will receive some offers. Even $24K in allocation funds or an international slot are better than letting a player leave for nothing.

b. Offer them all together in a trade with another MLS club for one good player. If you choose this option, start as early as possible in November. See suggestion #2 above.

10. Unnattached Americans can usually be signed at good values. Unfortunately, there are tons of them and 99% are lower division rejects, especially if your database loads all Americans. In other words, it's difficult to find unattached Americans who are both good enough to make your starting XI and worth a discovery player signing. For that reason, I suggest continually scouting all Americans based outside of the U.S. and then occasionally searching for unattached Americans and sorting by scouts' stars.

11. I find that MLS clubs overvalue youth. In other words, it is prohibitively expense to acquire many young players from other MLS clubs, especially those under 21 and those with high potentials. AVOID THEM. It is not worth it when you can spend the same amount and get an MLS star in his prime.

doing my first mls save, been offered philadelphia and dallas jobs after around 12 games. Which one should i take?

My take is that they each have a one or two younger players that have good potential ( Brek Shea for Dallas & Danny Mwanga for Philly. ) You can sell Shea for more money but as stated above you only net 33% and perhaps you wouldn't want to sell him. In real life I think Philadelphia have stronger fan support currently not sure if that plays out on FM economics. I know the Portland fan support /economics aren't accurately portrayed in terms of Season Ticket sales.

I would take Philly ( and I lived in Dallas for several years. Sorry Texas friends)

I'd like to offer some tips for managing in the MLS, as well.

6. Instead of Europe, look for players in South America. They offer the best value for MLS clubs and there are many players there who would be a star for MLS clubs. Mexico is more expensive but you can find some good deals there too. I haven't had much success finding good players for low prices in the Caribbean or Central America.

11. I find that MLS clubs overvalue youth. In other words, it is prohibitively expense to acquire many young players from other MLS clubs, especially those under 21 and those with high potentials. AVOID THEM. It is not worth it when you can spend the same amount and get an MLS star in his prime.

#6 I agree my scouts found good targets in Honduras especially but they are all wanting $2 Million +

#11 They might overvalue the youth if they are on Academy Apprentice contracts or Generation Adidas contracts because those salaries don't count towards the salary cap.

Just finished my second season with the Portland Timbers. Here is my advice for those not used to the MLS rules and implementation on FM:

5. Don't overpay for players. I only have one player over $3k per week.

-----------Cooper-----Nagbe------------

Zakuani----------------------------Nyassi (i have both twins on my team)

--------Jewsburry------Alexander------------

Wallace------Brunner--------John------Palmer

------------------Seitz----------------------

#5 Both Cooper and Nagbe are on higher wages than that for me and I picked up Geoff Cameron in the waiver draft for about $4k per week wages. I think his quality & versatility are worth it though. Zakuani must be close to that number too. What did he cost you?

What did you get for Perkins? Perlazza? Chara?

I have been stockpiling 2nd round picks and a couple of 1st rounders - Perlazza and Zizzo got me 1st rounders. Danso, Alhassan and Brown got me 2nd rounders and Horst a 3rd rounder. I plan to Package the 2nd roun picks for a decent player or two and maybe turn them into more 1st rounders.

As im sure everyone has heard LA Galaxy snatched victory in a very entertaining MLS Cup Final this weekend.

193344.jpg

Hoping this result will boost the amount of MLS Saves, another top MLS player ive just snagged for Sporting KC, Tom Overtoom left winger or CAM and even a CM top quality and versatile which all players in the MLS need

As im sure everyone has heard LA Galaxy snatched victory in a very entertaining MLS Cup Final this weekend.

193344.jpg

Hoping this result will boost the amount of MLS Saves, another top MLS player ive just snagged for Sporting KC, Tom Overtoom left winger or CAM and even a CM top quality and versatile which all players in the MLS need

ARGH! My boys just couldn't win it :(

Still, I am glad to see Beckham win a title and, being a Spurs supporter I like Robbie Keane. Also, being American, Landon Donovan is on that team so.... yeah. I will also say that, given their star power, the Galaxy's win is probably good to increase the profile of MLS.

Will definitely give the Dynamo a go to see if I can change things- probably won't until the game is fully patched though.

I've just started a game as FC Dallas but I am wondering what the best way to sneak some draft picks out of clubs is? I am trying to get some second round picks out of some sides. I got a heap of supp picks already but I need superdraft picks.

I've just started a game as FC Dallas but I am wondering what the best way to sneak some draft picks out of clubs is? I am trying to get some second round picks out of some sides. I got a heap of supp picks already but I need superdraft picks.

Here are a few suggestions for you:

1. Bundle up your supplemental picks and trade them for someone decent. You'll end up with a worthless group of players if you use the picks to draft players.

2. Don't try to get anything later than a second round Superdraft pick (it looks like you already know that)

3. If you can't get the picks you want before the draft, you might have success trading for the players you want right after the draft at a value lower than what their draft pick was valued at before the draft. Unless they are a Generation Adidas player under 21 years old, then forget about it.

4. If you still missed out on the player you really wanted, wait until the next off-season. If they didn't play much and didn't improve, their value may have dropped significantly and the AI will be more willing to trade you that backup/not needed that looked like a must-have last year.

One trick (and this may be a glitch in the game) is to wait until after the Waiver Draft, then sign up a few younger, good-potential players that were released. Some will immediately be worth $200k-$300k, and you can then offer them (after a couple of weeks) to other MLS clubs; the clubs will normally trade you their first-round picks in exchange.

This worked for me in two test saves that I had done: in both saves the youngsters Eric Avila (FC Dallas) and Francisco Navas-Cobo (Houston) were waived; I picked them up, found they were worth about $250k, then offered them out a couple of weeks later. Wound up getting the future 1st Round Superdraft picks of Colorado and DC United in exchange. Also got Bryan Leyva, Sainey Nyassi, and Luke Sassano, but will hold onto them for awhile.

This also works with foreign players if you have the patience and slots. Search for free agents; sign up a couple of high-value youth, then either keep them (if they work out) or just offer them out to other MLS clubs if they don't.

Speaking of foreign free agents, I picked up this Brazilian playmaker, Pinga, on my Earthquakes save. Comes in as a DP, but not a high-priced one, and his Flair/Creativity/Passing/Technique/etc are fabulous for the otherwise talent-lacking MLS. Wound up signing of the season! Can't recommend him highly enough.

Pinga_Quakes.png

Interesting tactic. I will have to give that a go. If I sign one of these players and put them straight on the transfer list will other MLS clubs start to send offers for them?

Almost. You need to be more direct, and choose the "Offer Player to MLS Clubs" option instead of just placing them on the transfer list. You'll then get offers almost immediately, and can negotiate from there.

MLS, and American sports in general, concentrate far more on the idea of trading players for players, unlike other leagues, which tend to just sell on players for cash. In MLS it's not unheard of for a player to be traded to one team for another player, then immediately traded again for a draft pick, and then to another team after that. Even big-name players aren't immune; this year's MVP, Dwayne de Rosario, started the year with Toronto, was traded to NYRB for Tony Tchani and a Superdraft pick, then about two months after that was traded to DC for Dax McCarthy. In Europe he probably just would have been sold outright.

Yeah, I am not foreign to a draft, growing up with Aussie Rules football. I understand the idea of getting myself into a good draft position. I was a bit surprised that no extra players were introduced into the supplemental draft but lesson learnt. I am now trying to move on a few players for picks now.

I've managed to get myself five first round picks in the next draft and three in the draft after. I'm looking forward to drafting now. I also have a heap of supplemental draft picks in the first round I am using to get a few players to strengthen the team. Seems to be working well at the moment.

I just added the MLS league to my game (wanted a side game in addition to my current Aberdeen save)...chose Seattle as I wanted to manage one of the more recent expansion teams...the regens the game has created to fill up the teams are insane! My keeper is top quality and I've traded and used my allocation fund (was given £1.5m) to aquire two amazing center backs, and a defensive midfielder. Finding problems with my international slots though. It says I have none to trade but I have no internationals in my team. And I can't ask for slots in return for players I offer to MLS clubs... Is this a bug or am I not noticing something obvious?

Just started a MLS save with LA Galaxy. Found this thread very informative but struggling to get my head around trying to bring in players... Currently trying to bring in Brek Shea, but have no allocation funds available at the moment. Could someone give me an example of a transfer deal or two that would represent good value in relation to the draft picks ect.

2 things....a) does anyone have a screenshot of this dungandzic player? b) I couldn't really see an answer to the question about players at american clubs that haven't been drafted yet but cannot be signed....do we have to wait for them to be drafted before we can buy them and when will they be selected to draft? I have entered my 3rd season, march time and they weren't in the january draft?

Just started a MLS save with LA Galaxy. Found this thread very informative but struggling to get my head around trying to bring in players... Currently trying to bring in Brek Shea, but have no allocation funds available at the moment. Could someone give me an example of a transfer deal or two that would represent good value in relation to the draft picks ect.

As The Portland Timbers - I gave up a player with a value of $85K ( darrius Barnes - 3.5 stars potential form my Ass man), 200K in allocatin funds and my 1st round superdarft pick to get Shea at the end of season 1. Not yet sure he is worth it in game. You might be able to make up the differnce with a better player or adding more draft picks in the supplemental draft of a future year "superdraft" pick ( round 2 perhaps)

I'm gonna start an MLS game but I'm going to make an edit first with a load of the current top picks for the 2012 Draft and make their potential fairly good so that the USMNT and MLS improve in quality. Is there any easy and widespread way to improve the quality of the players that come through the draft? My improving the young player development from youth teams/teams outside the MLS?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good thread with lots of helpful information. One thing I've not seen mentioned is the cap being raised. SI said it was going to be increased with inflation (Australian league too, IRC), yearly I think, but does anyone know if that has been implemented?

Good thread with lots of helpful information. One thing I've not seen mentioned is the cap being raised. SI said it was going to be increased with inflation (Australian league too, IRC), yearly I think, but does anyone know if that has been implemented?

Yeah, it happens. The minimum salaries go up too.

I'm in 2016 now and the salary cap is $3,409,786 per year and the minimum salary is $52,000 per year.

Strange league, but loving it myself! Won the double in the first season, both the MLS and the Open Cup with Seattle, really loving it :cool: However once I win the CONCACF Champions League, I will probably be leaving :p still really interesting league

Ok - So I see I can increase,decrease my funds in the boardroom area, but I can't seem to increase it anymore than it already is at. Does it ever go up after receiving a large trasnfer fee?

usually it goes up. However, it does not go up by the 67% that MLS does not take. I have found usually I get about $650K for any transfer over a million. I have not tested that. DId you check your news item on the transfer? You get all the money but not allocations funds.

Just started up a New England save I support Villa being from England but being American aswell had to choose a team from there to support. Have done a New England save a few times and loved it anyone had any success with an Adu and Millan combination? They are destroying the league for me at the moment.

Thanks for this thread, it gives me some much-appreciated (and needed!) insight into how the MLS actually works.

I've been an on-off fan of the NBA for 16+ years now and I still don't thoroughly understand exactly how the NBA Draft works with the order of picks and draftee's being swapped around left, right and center, so the MLS in FM has always therefore been of interest to me but just a bit too daunting. :)

I think I may give it another try, as I like the whole draft system idea of giving youth a definite chance and also under-performing teams a better shot each season as well.

Archived