OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a couple cosmetic things: the windows 95 blue is simply disgusting. The attributes graphic is too saturated and it is difficult to see the polygon within it. I thought the 2010 skin was perfect. Why change it?

edit: my god, I thought those things were bad, but the transfer offer screen is just ridiculous. It looks like someone took a screen shot of the original Mac OS X and combined it with a black-colored window frame from windows xp.

IMHO, the 2010 skin was the probably best looking interface design I've seen. I've been wishing there was a complete windows skin with the same feel. This year everything looks thrown together at the last minute.

Just to add another couple of things:

- The speech bubbles are annoying and look like something out of a game for under 10's - really highlights the "dumbing down" of everything

- There is no option to mark a news item as "unread"

It's reminding me more and more of FM09. Bloated with stuff that isn't needed, I still can't see how everyone's getting so excited over it to be honest. If only they'd taken FM10 and fixed what was wrong with that instead of adding and changing everything, would've been perfect otherwise. Uninstalled now.

Right having had a little go with both Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke last night here are my impressions based purely on the demo.

1) Love the new layout, and even the skin that's attracted some criticsm for brigthness (hey, turn the lights in your house up and the brightness of your screen down!)

2) There are some fantastic touches I saw like the individual player training screen accessible from their profiles. With percentages of workload etc. Excellent touch.

3) The match engine is just drop dead gorgeous. I spent some time with it on elevated and main stand view, and then flipped to TV mode. Boy, I'm never taking it off that for the main highlights now. Love all the new animations, players with hands on hips, sulking, and even aeroplanes after scoring.

4) Agents - great addition, loving how everything is in real time - it's like a mini game in its own right.

5) Manager interactions - far greater improved - fantastic that you can now comment on the teams strengths and weaknesses, and comment on the managers style. I had Hitzfield compliment my Sheffield Wednesday team's passing after a 0-1 Friendly defeat. What a nice man!

Only negative - I'm not fond of the tactics screen this year. It's difficult to keep track of whos on the pitch and who isn't when you have 12 subs. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time though.

To sum up. Some great little touches that add so much to last years incarnation. Can't wait for 5th November now.

I'm having a slight issue with the demo. I use five different match info boxes (or what do you call them) during matches. I also use windowed mode, and it seems that every time I leave fm11 in the background and click it back again, those boxes are all over the place in the next match. Seems like those had lined up for a different resolution while I was browsing other windows.

I'm having a slight issue with the demo. I use five different match info boxes (or what do you call them) during matches. I also use windowed mode, and it seems that every time I leave fm11 in the background and click it back again, those boxes are all over the place in the next match. Seems like those had lined up for a different resolution while I was browsing other windows.

I have the same, when I minimize one of the match stats menus the whole section moves to where the header was. I also had this in the FM2010 demo too which was then fixed on the main release so I have every confidence this will be rectified.

someone was saying they upset their players by moving them to the reserves, so they could play in an inter club friendly. he said he had to move them, cos making them 'elligible for the reserves' didn't work

i thought i'd test this and he's absolutely right.

i set half my first team as 'elligible for reserves' from the team selection screen and then i set the rest of my team. then i click continue and my assman has only selected his team from the rest of the reserves squad and ignored those players i made elligible...

*edit* i started again and this time made them elligible for the reserves the day before the match. same problem.

my guess is the only way to do it is to what the original guy did and move them to the reserves, but then they get upset...

seems daft that you cant get them to play each other

massively im actually able to sign players at what i call a fair price, ...over the odds if not listed but not to high & low if listed or needed ...this for me is great and what the games needed for the last 4 years...altough it may be the same as last years engine lol

im not keen on match day prep or agents (because they rip me off) and i really dot get how to work the set piece creator but i agree there all very realistic additions to the game enhancing your manager experiance

someone was saying they upset their players by moving them to the reserves, so they could play in an inter club friendly. he said he had to move them, cos making them 'elligible for the reserves' didn't work

i thought i'd test this and he's absolutely right.

i set half my first team as 'elligible for reserves' from the team selection screen and then i set the rest of my team. then i click continue and my assman has only selected his team from the rest of the reserves squad and ignored those players i made elligible...

*edit* i started again and this time made them elligible for the reserves the day before the match. same problem.

my guess is the only way to do it is to what the original guy did and move them to the reserves, but then they get upset...

seems daft that you cant get them to play each other

ok, i'm just going round in circle with this. now i've taken control of the reserves to see if i can manually select them, and all the players i have selected as 'elligle for reserves' are on the squad list in the reserves tab, but have 'Ine' in red, and the tooltip says they are 'in opposition squad'.

then i select U18 players for my bench of the senior squad, and they have the same 'Ine', which i get round by moving them to the first team squad.

then it goes to the match, and i done get to select the reserves team at all!!!

Only negative - I'm not fond of the tactics screen this year. It's difficult to keep track of whos on the pitch and who isn't when you have 12 subs. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time though.

If you go to Preferences, then Display and Sound, there is a tick box in the Display Settings called 'Sort team lists in TV view'. It only does the widgets and not the tactics screen, but it's better than nothing.

How come so many teams don't have a transfer budget or have a very small one?

Started a game with AC Milan and surprised to see they have no money to spend in the transfer market, is that right? - then checked out a host of others and was shocked to see they too were being offered £0 to spend in the transfer market.

massively im actually able to sign players at what i call a fair price, ...over the odds if not listed but not to high & low if listed or needed ...this for me is great and what the games needed for the last 4 years...altough it may be the same as last years engine lol

im not keen on match day prep or agents (because they rip me off) and i really dot get how to work the set piece creator but i agree there all very realistic additions to the game enhancing your manager experiance

Can anyone else confirm that it is now easier to buy players and sell players. This was one of my biggest problems with FM for many years that you would need to pay well over the odds for players and yet when you tried to sell your own players nobody would be interested.

Same thing every year - I've preordered the game as soon as it was available, and promised myself I wouldn't download the demo...then yesterday I do it, I say to myself I have to tweak around with tactics, get familiar with training, scouting etc. to have a foundation for the time when FM is released, so I can dig into first season as soon as possible...now 6 months have finished and all I can do is wait looooong two weeks for the game, I've suddenly lost interest in FM2010...

The good side is I love the new game and can't wait to play it, but this demo has ruined my next two weeks...

Strange. I spent all day yesterday watching the clock and trying to make it go faster, then when I got home I only played for 2 hours. The Demo certainly didn't grab me the way I had hoped/expected.

The new training & set pieces creator (which is nothing of the sort) will be more useful for noobs than veterans.

I've never been interested in transfers and contracts, so agents don't really affect my style.

Player interactions & pre-match training are medium term things, so I didn't really see them in action. Obviously, DLR & better newgens are long term things that the demo won't touch.

On the plus side: the match engine looks great and seems to handle wide-play much better. I was getting goals from crosses in my friendlies.

I do love the way you can skip quickly through press conferences. Makes me much more likely to attend. Haven't seen any sign of all those new questions, though.

Hopefully, playing properly over the weekend will get me into the total immersion stuff.

Initial impressions: no big difference from FM 2010.

Not a fan YET!

Light skin a big put off!!!

Too many long shots even though low creativity, no long shots and work into box.

Played as Chelsea for couple of games and players couldnt hit a barn door even in 6 yard box.

Back to FM10 for abit i think.

So far so good...

Just one complaint/suggestion regarding 3D views. It would have been nice to improve the 3D camera angles with this years game (TV view is ok) but a slightly more zoomed in and 'flatter' look to Touchline and Sideline views would have been perfect - or at least the option for us to tweak them ourselves.

I've seen a very good addition regarding mutual termination of contract...Kaka has about 11 mil € yearly wage, when I tried to sell him he accepted an offer but wanted me to pay 6,25 mil. yearly untill end of his contract (untill 2015), then I tried to mutually terminate his contract and his response was that he was so confident to find another club that he agreed to terminate his contract without any compensation. A very good deal for me, considering about 30 milions payment if I sold him for 10 mil.

I like the demo it's really good imo. However I have a question. When offering a player a new contract(my own player). I have found that I can't click confirm offer until he agrees. Then my player still has to accept. Is that right or am I missing something. Sorry if it has been covered before and sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I'm very, very early on in my first impressions here, but there is one thing that stood out as something I very much don't like regarding the new negotiation system. On the first day of the game, I offered Robert Pires a contract. At this stage, lots of other teams were interested, but they were only "minor" interests, so I offered quite a low figure. A bit of negotiation was done, and we eventually reached a figure. The agent said they'd consider it and come back to me. It was still quite low in my opinion compared to what I WOULD be willing to pay, if there were more offers. I pressed continue, and sure enough, I got news that Celtic, West Ham, and Everton had offered him contracts.

I'm managing West Brom, so at this point I know I needed to offer more. In past Football Manager games, when I get competition from clubs higher up for a player I really want, I would cancel my existing contract offer, and go back in and offer a higher one. So I cancelled the existing contract offer, and went onto "Approach to Sign" again.

"My client isn't currently prepared to restart these discussions following the previous breakdown in talks".

Oh. Well that's that then.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with the whole "not willing to talk" thing after previous recent talks went badly. But surely, if the objective is greater realism, then while they are still considering an offer you should be able to go back and say "actually, we'd like to offer you more"? As it is, you can only do the old-style cancelling of the contract, except you can no longer go and offer them a better contract, as now talks have supposedly "broken down". I keep pressing continue to see if he's willing to talk again yet, but it keeps saying the same thing. It's a bit annoying, to be honest.

Yes, what we could do with is a Re-negotiate contract action in cases like this. The reason for the "Not willing to talk" is to stop people cheating by offering an initial contract and after seeing what other clubs have offered, withdrawing and offering something lower. But really what you want to do here is quite valid. Thanks for your post we'll take it onboard.

Transfer Craziness

first of all, a quote from miles from his mirror sport blog, day 15:

The transfer system in Football Manager 2011 reflects this current state of the world. It means that in the first season, it’s pretty hard to sell players, as clubs don’t have much money, and their squads are full, so you’ll see even more loan to buy deals than normal in this first season.

ok, so its now August 29th and Chelsea have bought:

Neymar: £17m

Miranda: £7.25m

Moussa Sissoko: £10.5m

Vaclav Kadlec: £1.4m

Hangeland: £13.25m

Atila Turan: £1.6m

Raphael Holzhauser: £1.7m

Ibrahim Afellay: £7.5m

Terence Makengo: £3.1m

Vagner Love: £11.25m

Total Spend: £75m

Seems odd...

And what seems even odder:

Robert Pires [36] to Aston Villa

Pascal Cygan [36] to Everton

Roberto Carlos [37] to Birmingham

i dunno, but this all seems very odd while I'm playing

I know this has been said before but i've got this (almost) exact same transfers. What is also weird is Terry, Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Mikel, Essien and Kalou are either constant subs or not even in the squad. Very un-realistic!

I know this has been said before but i've got this (almost) exact same transfers. What is also weird is Terry, Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Mikel, Essien and Kalou are either constant subs or not even in the squad. Very un-realistic!

Apparently everyone is playing with the same saved game so these transfers will happen in every game!

It's a quick start, so the short lists for every club on everyone's game are identical.

How come so many teams don't have a transfer budget or have a very small one?

Started a game with AC Milan and surprised to see they have no money to spend in the transfer market, is that right? - then checked out a host of others and was shocked to see they too were being offered £0 to spend in the transfer market.

Of course its right. How much did Meelan pay out for Ibra & Robinho? A lot for a club thats broke.

ok, here's a wierd one

when i create a tactic, say a 4-4-2, i get to step 8 and it says, in red for effect:

"A tactic with that name already exists, the tactic will be overwritten"

now my 4-4-2 is available on my dropdown tactics

so, if i then go and set individual tactics and such, and try to save it with the same name i get:

"A tactic with the name '4-4-2' already exists but cannot be overwritten."

hmm

so i save it with the name 4-4-2a, then go onto manage tactics, and delete the 4-4-2 i created, and it still wont let me call this one 4-4-2.

i know in previous FM games you couldn't call your tactic the same name as the default tactics, but not it seems to initially let me do that, but then only when i use the tactics creator, and not subsequently. very odd and vaguely annoying

Torrent links

Strawberry PC - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/tor...0825EE4CF5AC77

Strawberry Mac - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/tor...48CDC254AE0DEB

Vanilla PC - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/tor...3C1C2793D1A00D

Vanilla Mac - coming soon.

Direct download links

Strawberry PC - coming soon (estimated 1pm)

Strawberry Mac - coming soon (estimated 1pm)

Vanilla PC - coming soon (estimated 1pm)

Vanilla Mac - coming soon (estimated 1pm)

Unfortunately not mate. :(

Blah that is so unfair - i think you may need to download again and test it at least that way you can eliminate any issues with the game? Then start to concentrate on your PC apps/drivers/config if necessary - if not already done so!

Fingers crossed for ya.

K

Blah that is so unfair - i think you may need to download again and test it at least that way you can eliminate any issues with the game? Then start to concentrate on your PC apps/drivers/config if necessary - if not already done so!

Fingers crossed for ya.

K

Already updated everything as in Neil sticky mate. Will download now the non-steam way and see what happens. thanks for helping. :)

While I think the game is a great improvement overall, I find there are some defensive issues with the ME. I feel the marking and decision making is awful at times. Especially when on a counter over the flank, my central defenders often close down on the winger leaving the centre wide open. I also find that there are ridiculous amounts of space between the central defenders and the fullbacks/wingbacks. That said, it could all be my tactics.

Will play some more to see if it's me or the ME :)

What would be better is the agent coming back saying "Haw! This team have offered more than you and my client is likely to take that offer. Do you want to make another offer?"

That would be a great addition to this new system. It would be great if that was used for the sort of players who wouldn't mind choosing a lesser club over a bigger club if the money was right (the kind of players who in real life often go to play in countries with poor levels of competition but rich clubs). But then there are those who are interested in playing at the highest level no matter what the offer from smaller clubs. I don't think the agent should come back in cases like this, where obviously the money isn't a factor. Although I think the "Re-negotiate contract offer" option as suggested by David Crammond should be included and available right until the moment when the player has made up his mind.

So far so good generally, some little niggles though:

1. When setting up tactics the right hand screen sometimes randomly changes from formation to player instructions if you click to see a player profile and then go back to the tqactics screen, this is quite annoying as you have to set it back to formation every time you want to look at a player in more detail when you are setting things up.

2. Player unhappiness, I let my Assistant (sammy Lee) handle a few friendlies and all of a sudden 4 or 5 of my senior players are worried by a lack of discipline (which I know comes from not responding players getting sent off), when i go in to talk to have a private chat with some of them such as Poulsen and Cole they dont beleive anything I say (past experience: international footballer so respect should be there) there is no possible way of getting them to come round and the relationship breaks down,they then ask to be transferred. Even Gerrard and Caragher after talks came round but then randomly asked to be transferred,which was ridiculous! This could become a real problem as it seems one small issue spread like wildfire and there was literally no way to deal with it.

New features seem awesome though!

Archived