Football Manager 2011 demo information

ironically i've had more problems buying games from stores than i have on steam

1. i once bought a game and they put the wrong disc inside, had to go all the way back to town to change it!

2. i pre-ordered a game and they ran out of copies so i couldn't even buy the game i'd already payed a £5 deposit on until 3 days later!

the only problem i had with steam was 1 time out of 300 it wouldn't log in to their servers, (i tryed again 15 minutes later and it was back online) compare that though with travelling back and forth to town due to a store error because i can't get there and back within 15 minutes it's more like 40 mins

ofc it's personal preference and i understand that but as someone else stated alot of the reported problems aren't even steams fault

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, so if they released them both at the same time, then there would have been no complaining or moaning.

As Friday will be 2 weeks before release day anyway, which is when SI said the Demo will probably be released.

if for instance on the friday SI would have made them all available at the same time, people would then start moaning about the download speeds

that's fact , probably still will anyway. one thing we know as humans is that we are incredibly impatient

The options seemed to be:

a) Release all versions of the DEMO on Friday, or

b) Release all versions of the DEMO on Friday,only with the STEAM strawberry one out 24 hours before.

Can anyone make a rational argument for going a)?

b) Release all versions of the DEMO on Friday, bar the STEAM strawberry one which comes out 24 hours before.

should steam users also wait until 9am on the 5th november (instead of playing from midnight) just so the people that purchased at a store can play at the same time?

same argument isn't it?

should steam users also wait until 9am on the 5th november (instead of playing from midnight) just so the people that purchased at a store can play at the same time?

same argument isn't it?

Nope. The moment one store opens at midnight (and I can assure you that at least one will in t he entire world), then it is legit for Steam to have it ready at midnight.

b) Release all versions of the DEMO on Friday, bar the STEAM strawberry one which comes out 24 hours before.

nah, i'm just glad its finally there on thursday and for the ones that dont want to use steam.. thats your own choice, dont blame SI for YOU not wanting to use steam, its a take it or leave it thing, but when youre not gonna use steam you have to wait another day, thats the way it is.. and like i said, your own choice and im sure SI are doing all they can to get us all a Demo of FM2011 asap, and still some of you are complaining. show some respect, there doing the best they can. thats all.

cassettes>floppy disks>cartridges>cd's>dvd's>downloads it's ever changing

i reckon in 10 years time all games will be downloads anyway, it's just the way the world moves on

nothing wrong with steam and it certainly doesn't "destroy" computers

Let's hope not! I've had several warnings from 02 about downloading too much, even though I'm on 'unlimited' broadband. I roughly buy about 5 games a month so downloading those at, potentially in a year or two, 10 GB each, my ISP would go nuts!!!!

Aside from that, I have, from day 0, raced down to the shops on the release day morning to get the anticipation of walking in and seeing all of the sellophane wrapped cases on the shelf. Then, buying the game, racing back home and opening the case and breathing in to get the fiiiiiine irreplaceable smell of the brand new manual. The gaming world, in my little world, would collapse if that was ever taken away from me.

Let's hope not! I've had several warnings from 02 about downloading too much, even though I'm on 'unlimited' broadband. I roughly buy about 5 games a month so downloading those at, potentially in a year or two, 10 GB each, my ISP would go nuts!!!!

Aside from that, I have, from day 0, raced down to the shops on the release day morning to get the anticipation of walking in and seeing all of the sellophane wrapped cases on the shelf. Then, buying the game, racing back home and opening the case and breathing in to get the fiiiiiine irreplaceable smell of the brand new manual. The gaming world, in my little world, would collapse if that was ever taken away from me.

we'd also have the problem of more job losses, maybe it won't take off

That's assuming broadband will stay at the same rate over the next two years, plus o2 have a 250gb package coming out

south korea's broadband is incredible compared to ours

infact due to BT not upgrading phone lines we are left in the stone age and japan and korea and many other countries all have ridiculous speeds

i think i read somewhere that the average speed in korea was 45mb

If anyone asks why the Liverpool takeoever is not in the demo they will get a slap!

I just assumed it was their researcher being rubbish and not up to speed. After all its not been well publicised, you'd really need your finger on the pulse to know about it ;)

ironically i've had more problems buying games from stores than i have on steam

1. i once bought a game and they put the wrong disc inside, had to go all the way back to town to change it!

2. i pre-ordered a game and they ran out of copies so i couldn't even buy the game i'd already payed a £5 deposit on until 3 days later!

the only problem i had with steam was 1 time out of 300 it wouldn't log in to their servers, (i tryed again 15 minutes later and it was back online) compare that though with travelling back and forth to town due to a store error because i can't get there and back within 15 minutes it's more like 40 mins

ofc it's personal preference and i understand that but as someone else stated alot of the reported problems aren't even steams fault

Know exactly what you mean mate, i pre-ordered mine from my local asda, however as they usually do not stock PC games they were only buying in the exact quantity that had been pre-ordered for instance if say 10 people had pre-ordered from them then they would bring 10 in so i got mine and it was falty so i had to wait an extra two days ! Long live Steam :p !

Most of the problems with Steam are user based, i.e. they don't know what they're doing... though it's really not complicated. But hey I would say that as I'm a Steam user myself and haven't had a problem with it over the many, many years of using it. Guess I'm just incredibly lucky and should really start playing the lottery.

Great news about the demo, can Steam users get the full game earlier too? I know we get to pre-download it and unlocks at midnight etc...but why not just let us play from pre-download?

So I have until Friday to win the league with Tottenham to feel like I've "completed" FM10? Better get one with it then...

Also stroke of luck, my girlfriend's just got a new job and starts Thursday, leaving me with most of the weekend free to get to grips with FM11! Huzzah!

if for instance on the friday SI would have made them all available at the same time, people would then start moaning about the download speeds

that's fact , probably still will anyway. one thing we know as humans is that we are incredibly impatient

So true, but the speeds are still going to be slow whenever they release it.

As people who want to use Steam will all be downloading that on Thursday, and people who want to use the torrents will download on Friday.

So they are still going to be the same speed as if they released them both at the same time on the same day.

As Steam users will be downloading through Steam and the rest will be downloading the torrents.

The forums would be more busier though. :thup:

Most of the problems with Steam are user based, i.e. they don't know what they're doing... though it's really not complicated. But hey I would say that as I'm a Steam user myself and haven't had a problem with it over the many, many years of using it. Guess I'm just incredibly lucky and should really start playing the lottery.

Great news about the demo, can Steam users get the full game earlier too? I know we get to pre-download it and unlocks at midnight etc...but why not just let us play from pre-download?

This must be something that Steam brainwash you all with, its all I ever here from the people who have been fortunate enough to not be stitched up by Steam. Don't believe the hype, Steam can make mistakes and they can get things wrong, its not always about the user.

Guest roberto922

I'm guessing the hope is that steam takes more of a download burden through being released the day before, leaving a lighter load on the others the next day. After all, they're the only ones reliable enough to take a heavy load.

So true, but the speeds are still going to be slow whenever they release it.

As people who want to use Steam will all be downloading that on Thursday, and people who want to use the torrents will download on Friday.

So they are still going to be the same speed as if they released them both at the same time on the same day.

As Steam users will be downloading through Steam and the rest will be downloading the torrents.

The forums would be more busier though. :thup:

This :thup:

Guest roberto922
This must be something that Steam brainwash you all with, its all I ever here from the people who have been fortunate enough to not be stitched up by Steam. Don't believe the hype, Steam can make mistakes and they can get things wrong, its not always about the user.

You mean they're like every other company that's ever existed? :eek: and there I was thinking they were perfect. But no, a few people have had trouble so tens of millions of other people must be brainwashed. What exactly was your problem anyway? All you've said is that you were unable to play fm for months without specifying an actual reason

You mean they're like every other company that's ever existed? :eek: and there I was thinking they were perfect. But no, a few people have had trouble so tens of millions of other people must be brainwashed. What exactly was your problem anyway? All you've said is that you were unable to play fm for months without specifying an actual reason

I realise that no one is perfect Roberto, I mean you are clearly very close but even you're not yet ;)

All I said in that post was that everytime Steam is criticised they trot out that line, much like on here 'its your tactics'. Whilst this is correct a number of times, its not always the case. So when its not it just becomes a bit frustrating.

My problem? Posted this a million times, just not recently, basically: FM09 stopped working in offline mode, which was terribly inconvenient because i was at a time of life where t'internet wasn't hooked up at home. Anyway, much toing and froing between me and Steam over their email 'support' service meant that they didn't actually have a scooby what the problem was or what they were doing. A bit of googling got me an answer eventually but it was only a short term fix and meant that if I wanted to continue playing through Steam I would have to quit the game every couple of hours and go and delete some stuff from the 'Steam' folder. Not very useful or satisfactory.

More than anything it was their lack of support and/or concern that did me in more than anything and poor customer service is the number one reason I will turn my back on a product/brand.

That's assuming broadband will stay at the same rate over the next two years, plus o2 have a 250gb package coming out

250gb ? You mean mb surely. How does o2 have infrastructure for anything better than adsl ? Or do you mean a 250gb download limit?

I know Virgin Media are rolling out 100mb this year and currently trialling 200mb so if you are in a cable area you can get as good as most other companies, its just if you are reliant on phone lines you are restricted which is sadly most of the country.

So you can download the demo from Steam, what about the Football Manager website?

Just read the OP!

The Strawberry version of the demo is available on Steam ONLY on Thursday. The Strawberry and Vanilla version will be available via torrent, direct download and a link to these on this forum on Friday.

Guest roberto922
250gb ? You mean mb surely. How does o2 have infrastructure for anything better than adsl ? Or do you mean a 250gb download limit?

I know Virgin Media are rolling out 100mb this year and currently trialling 200mb so if you are in a cable area you can get as good as most other companies, its just if you are reliant on phone lines you are restricted which is sadly most of the country.

It seems a bit obvious to me that I meant download limit.

Edgar - I had that problem once, just reinstalled FM and it worked again :)

It seems a bit obvious to me that I meant download limit.

Edgar - I had that problem once, just reinstalled FM and it worked again :)

Obviously not obvious or I wouldnt have asked. Not sure what point you were making then as not sure what relevance a download limit got to do with anything relating to downloading FM though ? Unless you wanted to download it 200 times a month, surely most people are interested in speed when talking about connectivity and using steam etc

Only thing against STEAM imo is

If they ban your account, you lose ALL your games.

It takes ages to download.

You can play your games offline though cant you ?

Time to download on steam isnt much slower than p2p. I was downloading at 5mb/s over the weekend and would be lucky to get that on bittorrent.

Maybe he didn't/hasn't. Maybe someone else did on his computer? Or maybe his account was hacked? Maybe Steam made an error?

If your account is hacked then Steam tend to get it back for you relatively quickly. I say 'tend to' as I'm sure you're one of the few who had this happen to them and Steam ignored you and sent you rude responses :rolleyes: but I've got friends who have had their accounts hacked on Steam and got everything back within the week.

Also, if someone else was on his computer then he shouldn't keeped himself logged in on Steam or be more careful who he shares his account info with.

Archived