How far will England get through the tournament?

Rhino

How far will England get through the tournament?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. How far will England get through the tournament?

• Last 16
    • Quarter-Finals
    • Semi-Finals
    • Final
    • Winners

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm confused. You think we'd beat them in the 3rd place play off but lose against them in the last 16?

Yes, before the tournament started, I thought England would win their group and make it to the semi-final. But now that I have seen England in the group stage, I think it is more likely that Germany will proceed to the quarter-final.

I still think we can deal with Germany. With a team like that you have to stop them playing their game and I think we can do that. Overall our defence is better (Lahm better than Johnson, Cole better than insert german lb). The only thing for me that stands out in their midfield compared to ours is a creative player like Ozil. Podolski is better than some of the wingers we have and Muller can be hit and miss. Klose shouldn't be given any chances up front as we know he can finish them but if we get Rooney on fire he does what Klose can and more (although not quite as good a finisher).

I still think we can deal with Germany. With a team like that you have to stop them playing their game and I think we can do that. Overall our defence is better (Lahm better than Johnson, Cole better than insert german lb). The only thing for me that stands out in their midfield compared to ours is a creative player like Ozil. Podolski is better than some of the wingers we have and Muller can be hit and miss. Klose shouldn't be given any chances up front as we know he can finish them but if we get Rooney on fire he does what Klose can and more (although not quite as good a finisher).

I don't quite get the point of such man-to-man comparison...

Eventually you can make the "who faces who" kind of comparison, and in such case I think Germany are clearly favourites...

Both defensive pairings are on the slow side, but Germany fullbacks are slightly better at covering.

Midfield goes to Germany's advantage despite England having better "starpower" (which counts for nothing when the Stars are in poor conditions).

Germany have much more offensive solutions, while England are still waiting for Rooney to wake up, while the rest is plain mediocre.

I see Germany as clearly favourites... for a change, penalties are England's best chance ;)

I don't quite get the point of such man-to-man comparison...

Eventually you can make the "who faces who" kind of comparison, and in such case I think Germany are clearly favourites...

Both defensive pairings are on the slow side, but Germany fullbacks are slightly better at covering.

Midfield goes to Germany's advantage despite England having better "starpower" (which counts for nothing when the Stars are in poor conditions).

Germany have much more offensive solutions, while England are still waiting for Rooney to wake up, while the rest is plain mediocre.

I see Germany as clearly favourites... for a change, penalties are England's best chance ;)

Because obviously face to face comparisons are all you can do at the moment, seeing as both teams have played well and also played pretty awfully, England playing the worse out the two. If you compared them as a team then Germany are playing better together.

Germany aren't clear favourites at all imo, they might be favourites, but clear favourites I don't think so. I think we have a better defence than them overall as Ghana seemed to open them up quite easily at times. Already said that on paper our midfield is better they just need to start performing. Germany look strong up front but tbh Cacau didn't do much last night and only tapped in against Australia, haven't seen Gomez yet and Klose needs to be kept an eye on.

Do the media and press go on about England as much as people from the other home nations go on about us, this is the question ;)

Top trolling for the non-English Brits :D

fwiw nobody gives a **** what England does here, or in France for that matter. Everyone's concerned about his own team I guess.

We will get knocked out by ze Germans.

Word. Unless the Germans get two men sent off or something very odd happens. Like England playing well. :D

I normally don't like Germany cause they have historically played an obnoxious style of football. But since Klinsmann they are a totally different team and are now playing gorgeous football. I'd much prefer them over England for this reason alone. I'm close to a neutral fan now (would love Argentina to win) so I just want to look at good offensive football. Germany bring that in heaps and bounds. England do not.

I did a guess the scores thing at work for the knockout round (and remaining 4 group games). Fiver in. I just couldn't bring myself to have Egnland lose to Germany :D England win 1-0 and then beat suprised quarter finalists Mexico on penalties only to get squashed by Spain :cool:

Depends, if Spain win their group then we'll probably play them in the Semi. Brazil will be the final. If Spain finish 2nd, probably be Portugal/Paraguay in the Semi.

Do you seriously believe that Engeland has the quality to win from Germany and Argentina? Did you already forgot their matches against Algeria and the VS?

haha, Engeland world champions, you gotta be kidding...

I mean, players like Johnson, Barry, Upson and Heskey are not even mediocre. Out against ze Germans.

Barry and Johnson not even mediocre:D

I don't think we will win it.

There's one small thing bugging me... our route. Germany, Argentina, Portugal, the final. That's too perfect. We'd defeat all our footballing adversaries (except Scotland), and then have a final. That's too genuinely epic to be a coincidence.

In all fairness after the Algeria game I put a cheeky fiver on England to win the Cup considering the odds had doubled and I was confident we'd get through the group.

But If I'm being optimistic the semi's is probably the very best we'll get, but quarters is more realistic. I think we'll beat Germany tbh.....

Being Dutch you certainly know what you're talking about :D

That's rich coming from a person from the most laughable football nation on earth at the moment.

Would you point me at some Dutch press articles declaring us world champs and pointing out 'easy' groups and the likes?

Yes, we know we're good enough to become world champs, no we don't go bleating it all over the place. Cos we're not English :D

Cheap shot Frog takes cheap shot and fails :D

While that may be true I am always sceptical of people who massively play down their chances of winning and expect losing. Especially when they are such big nations. Just seems like people do it so people can't take the mick out of them when there team fails.

While that may be true I am always sceptical of people who massively play down their chances of winning and expect losing. Especially when they are such big nations. Just seems like people do it so people can't take the mick out of them when there team fails.

There is 5 pages of me ridiculing the side...

With Germany`s wide players,especially down the right hand side(left of England) causing Gerrard to stop wandering inside,which will kill our main foward driving force,I see Germany winning.

If we concede early,and have to chase the game,with Cole and Johnson bombing foward,we are very weak against quick counter attacks ,in my opinion.

Looks like I got it about spot on!!

Word. Unless the Germans get two men sent off or something very odd happens. Like England playing well. :D

I normally don't like Germany cause they have historically played an obnoxious style of football. But since Klinsmann they are a totally different team and are now playing gorgeous football. I'd much prefer them over England for this reason alone. I'm close to a neutral fan now (would love Argentina to win) so I just want to look at good offensive football. Germany bring that in heaps and bounds. England do not.

Hmm, look at this. I was right. As was every clear-thinking individual.

People who seriously voted for England as winners - hang your head in shame.

That's rich coming from a person from the most laughable football nation on earth at the moment.

Would you point me at some Dutch press articles declaring us world champs and pointing out 'easy' groups and the likes?

Yes, we know we're good enough to become world champs, no we don't go bleating it all over the place. Cos we're not English :D

Cheap shot Frog takes cheap shot and fails :D

I haven't supported the French national team for over a decade now so not sure what being born there has to do with anything. Spain's my team if you want to mock it btw.

And... you are aware that the players on the field didn't write those articles you mention, aren't you? ;)

:o .

I haven't supported the French national team for over a decade now so not sure what being born there has to do with anything. Spain's my team if you want to mock it btw.

What connection do you have to Spain? :confused:

Surely you support the country you were born in or have lived in for most of your life? The one you have a real connection with. Perhaps even both!

Apologies if you are actually Spanish, but I'm pretty sure you are French living in the USA, right? In that case, I don't get it.

:o .

Not really embarassed tbh. I highlighted exactly what they were better than us at and tbh if we played a lot better, like I know we can then we would have won. At the end of the day all 4 goals were easily defendable.

What connection do you have to Spain? :confused:

Surely you support the country you were born in or have lived in for most of your life? The one you have a real connection with. Perhaps even both!

Apologies if you are actually Spanish, but I'm pretty sure you are French living in the USA, right? In that case, I don't get it.

My best friend is Spanish and since I never liked my nation I decided to support his when I was around 18.

I did also support the USA during this WC but had there been a Spain vs USA match I'd have supported Spain.

My best friend is Spanish and since I never liked my nation I decided to support his when I was around 18.

I did also support the USA during this WC but had there been a Spain vs USA match I'd have supported Spain.

Oh dear...

Did you also take someone elses mother as your own? I bet if you have brothers and sisters you treat them worse then your own friends...:D

No problems with being critical of the country you're born in. Actually, you should be more critical of that than anybody else, as you can actually impact things (more likely anyway). Strange to simply not support them, but then again the French tend to do things a bit strangely.

Not really embarassed tbh. I highlighted exactly what they were better than us at and tbh if we played a lot better, like I know we can then we would have won. At the end of the day all 4 goals were easily defendable.

Very small chance of England winning that match. Germany were better than England in every department. England would have had to play out of their skin to even stand a chance, and even then it would have been difficult. Just as when any underdog meets a big team, England could have won if everything went their way. Norway beat Brazil in the World Cup. That can happen if everything goes the right way. Germany v England was much the same, though clearly less one-sided than Norway v Brazil. We shouldn't forget England were lucky to get out of the group stage. It's nice to be able to taunt the French and Italians, but England could easily have been in the same situation.

Archived