These forums

Sorry for making two quick posts, but I forgot to mention my other idea, regional moderators.

I understand the majority of members are located in the UK/Europe region, so if a user from my part of the world (Australia) says something that belongs in a Rugby Union scrum and not a forum it could be reported and acted upon in a fair more timely manner if there was a moderator logged on.

Just a thought, thanks.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High iv only just sskimmed through this thread but i would like to put forward an idea that ive seen put into practice by another other (non Fm)forum

I dont know if this is feasible or even would require a serious overhaul of forum software but i thought i might mention it as it seemed to work

The way it worked was as folllows

where the current karma structure is used and a post count would be then they had a system that was a bit like a golf score

People would get points added to this if they post somthing against the rules various amounts of points were used depending on the offence

if the person got to a certain level then they were banned , also other user had a idea who would talk sense so could keep clear of

the score would automatically decrease over time and also could cme doen if they posted good sense or a useful link (it was a tech forum)

THerfore the most respected people were them with the lowest score

Originally posted by sydfc4ever:

Sorry for making two quick posts, but I forgot to mention my other idea, regional moderators.

I understand the majority of members are located in the UK/Europe region, so if a user from my part of the world (Australia) says something that belongs in a Rugby Union scrum and not a forum it could be reported and acted upon in a fair more timely manner if there was a moderator logged on.

Just a thought, thanks.

Whilst I accept you opinion that we are open to free speech etc, there has to be rules to maintain the peace. We have it in our everyday lives, we can't speed, we can't kill etc. In everyday life the Law keeps the peace and those that break the law are punished. Now I also agree educating people is a great move forward and I think it is an important change that needs to be made on these forums. However, saying that I do think that some of the worst offenders may actually have to be removed to restore calm and reasoned debate once more to the forums.

I do agree with Dane0 that more action is needed against bad posts etc but I do think that the age of the members is a crucial factor in the problem. Society has changed nad young people are more outspoken than ever before and the internet is a perfect place to be outspoken without consequence.

I do urge reasoned debate on how to get back to a forum that is both friendly and informative.

Originally posted by sydfc4ever:

I guess the main rebuttal to this thread is that you are interloping on peoples given right to free speech, by stating what is and is not acceptable in your eyes; you are limiting the spread of insights into a narrow field.

Having said that I must admit that I do not post on a regular basis due to this very issue, I understand people may see this as a contradiction to what I said above, but I do not believe banning or punishment a solution to any issue. Education is, as always, the way forward.

If a member makes an inappropriate comment enforce a ruling that states they can only view for a short period, and also must take a short quiz on the rules and regulations prior to being given posting rights again.

I think the issue regarding our ‘karma’ is also an area to be discussed. ‘Karma’ points should be a reward for intelligent and productive posting, receiving a bonus because you type WHS in 10 different threads is, in my opinion, idiotic. Personally, if I receive a reply to my post from a user with a rating of ‘Star Player’ or similar I pay far more attention than people on my own level, ‘Amateur’.

People like Jimbo, Ackter, etc may occasionally post something that could be taken as offensive or derogatory but I believe that is simply due to frustration.

So I return to my main point here, if we can educate the people, we can better the world.

That’s me done, I’ll take my ‘karma’ points now thank you kind sir!

WHS icon_wink.gif

No in all seriousness I agree with everything you have said. I echo a lot of the sentiments that we need stricter rule enforcement.

I remember when this place felt much more like a community. Back when Dave C etc were active in discussions in this forum. Now its all Demo's/AI cheats icon_frown.gif

I agree that FAQs, Sticks with up to date announcements that you do not reply to would all ease the strain on those members who try their best to point everyone in the right direction.

I agree with you completely Gazzaroon there are times at which education is not an answer and expulsion is the only option (promoting CD crack, extensive coarse language, personal abuse, racist/sexist/religious abuse)

Truth be told I often disagree with the Human Rights movement and the complete and unadulterated Free Speech that is demanded by every moron with a bigotry belief, I was simply stating that there is an argument for the against.

I believe these forums need to be cleaned in order for it to continue being a constructive environment. The question is who decides who needs to be removed? I’d assume that responsibility can fall only with Miles and his team at SI. Tough call to make.

Keep up the great work Miles and I don’t envy you in making the final call re the forums.

• SI Staff
We then find ourselves in a tough spot - I don't doubt that many of the users in that thread (myself, Andy Jordan and Purvis immediately come to mind) would like to give constructive feedback to the SI team, but no-one ever really ventures into the thread to respond. Well, apart from Ackter - and I don't want to go into that.

Any time I've looked in that thread a lot of the feedback when experiencing any issues with the game is far from constructive!

Originally posted by Schit Onzermancs:

Personally, I would like to see the back of the 'gloating' threads (as I call them) where people post successes and tactics in a story-telling manner. It's awful that I have to say this, but there is no way to know if the person posting has cheated or not so the thread holds no value at all. I've posted successful tactics to this forum before only to be told they are useless. Why does it work for me and not others? I honestly don't know? I feel that tactical threads, or experiments, should be carried out in a collaborative manner by a number of people until consistent success is achieved by all (whatever success may be since it's relative). This will stop people responding in a 'theoretical sense', meaning, people will often post what their thoughts are on the real-life game without actually having any proof as to whether this applies in FM. This is, after all, just a game.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this in the slightest. Many of the 'theories' that have been posted in the tactics forum have massively helped myself and many other members.

Excellent, well constructed posts by people such as wwwfan, Cleon, Rashidi, Dayle Wood and many others have helped so many people improve their fortunes on the game and to understand a lot better how things work. Only a small number of people come back and complain that they didn't get the success they expected from using the theories, you just notice these people more as they tend to be the more vocal. The people who are happy with what they've learned get on with playing the game and don't make endless posts about it.

But many people just can't accept that fact that these are just theories, they'll help you understand how to improve your own game but there is no one-size-fits all solution, and that's the beauty of this game. What we be the point of having it as you suggest? Where everything is explained to the letter and there is a specific formula for success. 'Do exactly this and you'll win with no effort whatsoever'. That's exactly what most members of this forum feel was wrong with previous FM games, after a few months a framework could be developed that meant the game could be beaten every time.

I agree that SOME transparancy is needed to help people understand how to do things for themselves a little more but in my opinion the threads on this forum go a long way towards doing that already, thank to a big effort from some people who work hard to understand the game and then happily share their findings with other members. I only hope the growing number of people saying things like 'I did exactly what you said and it didn't work for me' or 'you can have success and I can't, therefor you must cheat' don't dissuade the aforementioned people from continuing to provide excellent posts that help a lot of people. There's no specific winning formula, and long may it continue.

I personally feel that the moderators should moderate more than post, or at least have a separate log-in name when they want to contribute. Often they will use their position of 'power' in their postings. Being a moderator does not make one an authority or a master tactician. Unfortunately, certain moderators feel that this is the case it seems and to disagree with moderator's opinion will often leave one held in contempt. This is supposedly a democracy yet does not always feel so. If a certain section of the fan-base feel the game has tactical flaws or inadequacies, it should not be held as a 'complaint' or be deemed worthy enough of a crime to have the thread closed if communicated constructively enough. Many threads have been closed because the topic contradicted the moderator's perception of the game. Pride and sentiment is at an all time high currently.

Again I have to disagree. The T&T forum is, as has been mentioned in this thread many time, one of the better forums on these boards in terms of post quality and friendliness. This is because the rules are enforced. Posts being closed or people being warned by the moderators has nothing to do with them disagreeing with the moderators gaming beliefs, it's because they continue to just cry the game cheats without anything constructive to back it up. If you spend some time in there you'll see that anyone who provides PKM's and therefore proper evidence of this so-called 'cheating' will be given proper attention and as much help as they want. The same goes for people who are willing to listen to the help and advice that is given to them. It's only the people who seem unable to grasp the fact that plenty of us do have success on the game so it therefor their problems must be down to something they're doing that get treated less kindly by a certain number of members. And this is only because so many people make a big effort to offer help but some just don't want to hear it. All they want is to be fed the exact formula for whay something works.

If these people were just allowed to carry on this way that forum would have degenerated a lot more than it has. There are plenty of people who have issues with the game but don't get 'shouted down' because they turn it into a constructive discussion where both sides of the argument are put forward and listened to.

At the minute, the AI has evolved to such an extent that it is extremely effective, and a lot of human users simply don't know how to combat it with the tools at our disposal. This is why many cheat threads have reared their ugly heads. I think it's time we had a feedback system that allows us to know how and why we are being exposed. At the minute is seems the AI scores from 1 shot all game on the counter attack (or with a swift change to the dreaded 4-2-4) although the human has 25 shots on goal. I can assure you that if we knew why this was a regular occurrence, there would be a much more harmonious forum.

This is the only part I agree with, more is needed in the way of transparicy in the game to help people figure things out for themselves. But at the same time we don't want to go backwards and make the game too easy and boring again.

Sorry, this has gone a bit off the topic of this thread, but it's the people who just want to download a tactic and win everything that cause a lot of arguments on here imo.

Like spot and Don said, there are plenty of ‘good’ users who are alienated by GQ because of the format of it. I’ve asked for a separate forum for suggestions for ages now but still don’t see it happening.

Miles mentioned the low number of people contributing, but I’d rather have a small forum of people posting constructive suggestions rather than a large forum of users asking every single question that pops into their head.

Taking a look at GQ now on the front page there’s only a few threads I’d be interested in reading. It’s also worth noting that there’s about a dozen closed threads and the majority of threads fail to get 10 replies before they drop off onto page 2.

Maybe you could do a bit market research to find out why users are being driven away?

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We then find ourselves in a tough spot - I don't doubt that many of the users in that thread (myself, Andy Jordan and Purvis immediately come to mind) would like to give constructive feedback to the SI team, but no-one ever really ventures into the thread to respond. Well, apart from Ackter - and I don't want to go into that.

Any time I've looked in that thread a lot of the feedback when experiencing any issues with the game is far from constructive! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a vicious circle, though - if those people don't feel like their opinions will be taken on board, then there will be hostility.

I appreciate that it's a difficult position to be in, but perhaps extending the olive branch once in a while (an invitation to give some constructive feedback, for example) could be a good thing. And there's only so many times you can put with with Ackter acting as though he is some kind of mouthpiece for you guys.

I think there are maybe two things other than more moderators etc that you could think of.

1. Educate the people. I am guessing that some people do not know that they are being bad sometimes. I am not here to demonise people but I have at times (and I only make a few posts) caused problems without meaning to. The trouble for some is that what they write can be taken the wrong way and that causes problems after. So educate how people should lay out their responses.

Once people learn they can have no excuses so if people then carry on you have tried to help you can card them but its not worth your hassel. I read a post from Kris that bans cause admin overheads so just Ban them full stop.

IF the forums are losing many decent people cause of the few then isnt it in everyones best interest to just lose their custom and keep the others who make it contructive.

I know we all want it to be a place for everyone but if you have tried to teach and they are not listening then it is surely not worth anyones time to ban them and card them and ban them...so just get stop them from coming back. Its not worth it.

Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Like spot and Don said, there are plenty of ‘good’ users who are alienated by GQ because of the format of it. I’ve asked for a separate forum for suggestions for ages now but still don’t see it happening.

Miles mentioned the low number of people contributing, but I’d rather have a small forum of people posting constructive suggestions rather than a large forum of users asking every single question that pops into their head.

Taking a look at GQ now on the front page there’s only a few threads I’d be interested in reading. It’s also worth noting that there’s about a dozen closed threads and the majority of threads fail to get 10 replies before they drop off onto page 2.

Maybe you could do a bit market research to find out why users are being driven away?

Personally I think that the suggestions need to be within GQ, rather than a separate forum. It would take good users away from GQ, not to mention GQ supplies much of the inspiration(?) for ideas.

Originally posted by playmaker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Personally I think that the suggestions need to be within GQ, rather than a separate forum. It would take good users away from GQ, not to mention GQ supplies much of the inspiration(?) for ideas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you Playmaker. I understand the argument for a suggestions forum but don't really think it is needed. Like you see to of noticed, I have also seen lots of ideas develop from a question being asked about the game. I honestly can't see splitting the forum a solution to anything.

I would much rather this one forum was improved so that good and lengthy debates can happen.

• SI Staff

I would like to see one as well. One thing I enjoy about these forums is reading other people's ideas on how to improve the game and what new stuff they would like added.

The thing about a suggestions forum is that people might want and expect 'official' responses to their ideas, which I can understand, but we can't turn round and say 'yes that will be in the game' which often puts us in an awkward position if we reply to some of these topics. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Like spot and Don said, there are plenty of ‘good’ users who are alienated by GQ because of the format of it. I’ve asked for a separate forum for suggestions for ages now but still don’t see it happening.

I would like to see one as well. One thing I enjoy about these forums is reading other people's ideas on how to improve the game and what new stuff they would like added.

The thing about a suggestions forum is that people might want and expect 'official' responses to their ideas, which I can understand, but we can't turn round and say 'yes that will be in the game' which often puts us in an awkward position if we reply to some of these topics. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id like to see a seperate suggestions forum, cant you put something in the banner of that forum saying along the lines of 'Although we do take ideas from these forums, it is not guarenteed that you will always get an official response from SI when posting a future idea for the game, please be assured that we do read your suggestions and your ideas do get discussed'

Something along those lines but less posh?

The one thing I can see happening if the GQ is split into General Questions and a separate Suggestions Forum is that the Suggestions forum will probably end up being the more popular of the two and busier so the GQ users will end up posting their questions in there anyway. Result is you're back to square one.

I think it was right that the Sign Up games ended up with their own forum but perhaps this is something that should happen only for the first three months after the game comes out and after that the popular games moved to the GQ Forum and extra sign up games can be posted thereafter.

This way after release time for a few weeks the threads in the FM Forum that are relevant won't end up dropping off the page due to the inane amount of sign up threads that are posted at this time.

I think better organisation with more friendly words would be the way forward, especially a "Help" forum. For less experienced users who are lost or want some help with a specific item, ofcourse.. it wouldn't be just for less experienced users it would be for everyone. It's just calling it the "Help" forum deters people from the bullying culture.

Actually, to further divide matters, there could be a subforum for Technical Help. Maybe put the Tactics section as a subforum of the Help Forum.

Also, I believe in the Help Forum, alot of new players would name players without thinking, so putting the Good Players Guide as a subforum of the Help Forum would also be a nice idea. Make the rules more lenient and casual friendly, whereas also making them more respectful, hit harder on bad language and insults.

Also, if you were to introduce new mods, the Help Forum (and all subforums) would be the only forum in need of them.

A suggestions subforum would also be good, it would take away abit of clutter in General Discussion.

The only downside would be gutting the General Discussion forum, you'd be taking away a few common topics. Although, there's still a large number of debates. Maybe SI should enable polls so debates could be more evident. Polls would also be nice in the Good Players Guide.

More organisation, clearer questions, clearer answers, less complication.

• SI Staff

FrazT - It's a bit premature for that. Things aren't going to happen instantly and when we've got some decisions in place and are ready to make some changes then we'll make sure you are all aware of them.

Originally posted by birdy123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

Foster that was a very cunning way to ban me from the WeeGie forums, played.

P.S. I think your idea is pretty lame.

Perfect example of why this thread is here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that for me or him?

P.S LSTB - i cant remember banning you but if i did then its probably due to the constant abuse i get from you on here so i probably banned you as i dont want on the WeeGiE forums

We've periodically had FAQ threads, but they always make little difference. A FAQ forum might though (named that way rather than 'Help forum' as people would assume that is technical help).

Most of the newbies gravitate towards whatever forum is at the top of the page, so they will naturally go there if they have questions. It is also easier to organise than a single FAQ thread and new users can quickly find what they want, i.e. a stickied thread entitled 'Release Date' which says "we don't know yet."

That means more of the users coming into General Discussion will arrive without a big divide between them and the more established users, thereby reducing one of the causes of conflict.

The FAQ forum would also be easy to police (ignoring time required). If someone posts a repeat topic it gets closed. It could also encourage 'super-users' to post 'how-to' guides.

I really don't think you can separate discussion and suggestions as one usually leads to the other.

Originally posted by shamule:

i not sure on this but if you don't have to be reg to down load patches , why not make it that you do then if people get banded they cannot get the patches and they may think twice about getting banned

The level of service shouldn't be limited to people that SI like. You can't really run a business that way.

I'm sure there must be some variation on that idea that would work though.

Originally posted by Michael Foster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

Foster that was a very cunning way to ban me from the WeeGie forums, played.

P.S. I think your idea is pretty lame.

Perfect example of why this thread is here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that for me or him?

P.S LSTB - i cant remember banning you but if i did then its probably due to the constant abuse i get from you on here so i probably banned you as i dont want on the WeeGiE forums </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LSTB.

We've periodically had FAQ threads, but they always make little difference. A FAQ forum might though (named that way rather than 'Help forum' as people would assume that is technical help).

Most of the newbies gravitate towards whatever forum is at the top of the page, so they will naturally go there if they have questions. It is also easier to organise than a single FAQ thread and new users can quickly find what they want, i.e. a stickied thread entitled 'Release Date' which says "we don't know yet."

That means more of the users coming into General Discussion will arrive without a big divide between them and the more established users, thereby reducing one of the causes of conflict.

The FAQ forum would also be easy to police (ignoring time required). If someone posts a repeat topic it gets closed. It could also encourage 'super-users' to post 'how-to' guides.

Posted about this idea before, glad to see I'm not the only one.

Not so sure that a FAQ Forum would work myself. People would just click into it, see that there in the wrong place and click out again straight away when they see they are the only one in there.

The FAQ threads did work in the past and did get high view figures because people were able to direct people asking the questions that had been answered in the FAQ to that thread when they replied, so I disagree with anyone saying they didn't work and that's not just because I wrote a couple of them. There's enough people have suggested they worked in this thread aside from me.

Yes, there will always be people that ignore them but that's just a fact of life that some people want everything handed to them immediately and aren't prepared to put their own legwork into things in order to get them.

The FAQs were a great help in those days, it helped me. I think it will help people. Its those kind of things that people take for granted. When it works well no-one notices it.

Sounds like a typical IT tech's life @work

I don't know why we just can't respect each other and remember that at the end of the day the thing we are talking about is a game, it cost about £30 or so and it isn't a lot of money in the great scheme of things. I think to be honest people take pleasure in being abusive and I think people should be denied access to the forums if they are abusive on a regular basis.

As in the use of the forum, people need to be educated how to use them, where to find information and how best to search for the information they want. Gentle reminders are far better than blasting a person for making a mistake, however I don't agree with the free speech argument at all.

Maybe for the more regular users they can be rewarded or something for helping the newbies learn the ropes and so on, guiding them along the way and encouraging the newbies to post in the correct place etc. Punishment isn't always the answer but for some it is.

I personally would like to get back to the time where we all discussed our games, successes and how we think we could improve the game. Surely constant constructive criticism is better than non-constructive criticism that people don't listen to.

FrazT - It's a bit premature for that. Things aren't going to happen instantly and when we've got some decisions in place and are ready to make some changes then we'll make sure you are all aware of them.

Was neither advocating nor suggesting a reply by today but purely that this type of thread deserves some sort of response by SI since they opened it, at some time so that those who have been interested enough to respond feel that the suggestions put forward have at least been considered.

Originally posted by gavnoble:

Not so sure that a FAQ Forum would work myself. People would just click into it, see that there in the wrong place and click out again straight away when they see they are the only one in there.

I think you over-estimate some people's ability to notice they are in the wrong forum! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gazzaroon:

I don't know why we just can't respect each other and remember that at the end of the day the thing we are talking about is a game, it cost about £30 or so and it isn't a lot of money in the great scheme of things. I think to be honest people take pleasure in being abusive and I think people should be denied access to the forums if they are abusive on a regular basis.

As in the use of the forum, people need to be educated how to use them, where to find information and how best to search for the information they want. Gentle reminders are far better than blasting a person for making a mistake, however I don't agree with the free speech argument at all.

Maybe for the more regular users they can be rewarded or something for helping the newbies learn the ropes and so on, guiding them along the way and encouraging the newbies to post in the correct place etc. Punishment isn't always the answer but for some it is.

I personally would like to get back to the time where we all discussed our games, successes and how we think we could improve the game. Surely constant constructive criticism is better than non-constructive criticism that people don't listen to.

Well, after a community has been around for a while you get the veterans, the people who try too hard to be recognised by veterans (often bullying people) and the rest of the population. It's like a class divide, you get it at every community you goto.

A reward for players helping other players would be awesome, that's why I think the forums should be laid out better, ofcourse the best ones would be made mods. Maybe a member of the month award? They'd get a free month on FM Live or something, now that'd give people a real incentive to be helpful.

this may sound crazy or be impossible to implement however bear with me icon_smile.gif

whenever a new user clicks reply or start new thread for thier first 10 posts a screen comes up with frequently asked questions which they have to click through one by one. once the have posted 10 posts without problem this function is removed from their account and they post as normal.

if anyone breaks one of the house rules aswell as cards warnings etc this function is turned back on for their next 10 posts no matter how many posts they have previously made

I don't like the rewards idea at all. All this would do is create unwelcome competition in which people post to win 'Bully's Special Prize.' This forum is competitive enough without adding incentive for more. It's been mentioned already that a lot of the friction here is in part due to people's lack of understanding of how the game functions. As soon as some of the ambiguity has been eliminated and we have an acceptable manual, I am sure you will see the mood here improve since people will no longer have an excuse to complain. I reckon we should wait until 2008 has been released and then go from there. With a bit of luck, it will be a masterpiece and there will barely be reason to complain.

I don't like the rewards idea at all. All this would do is create unwelcome competition in which people post to win 'Bully's Special Prize.' This forum is competitive enough without adding incentive for more. It's been mentioned already that a lot of the friction here is in part due to people's lack of understanding of how the game functions. As soon as some of the ambiguity has been eliminated and we have an acceptable manual, I am sure you will see the mood here improve since people will no longer have an excuse to complain. I reckon we should wait until 2008 has been released and then go from there. With a bit of luck, it will be a masterpiece and there will barely be reason to complain.

The idea of a reward system was for those that helped those who inappropriately posted in the wrong place rather than bit their heads off. When I first came onto the forums 4 years ago people were kind enough to help each other and politely mention when someone had placed a post in the wrong place - now it is like someone has committed murder!

I don't think rewarding people who post is the idea but rewarding those that support the forums and help make it a better place surely is a welcome idea.

It may have been mentioned already, but I'm not sure, and since this forum is now a 'sanctuary' of patience and virtue, my head is not allowed to be bitten off for my laziness, i.e, not searching. Anyway, how about a forum dedicated to asking questions to SI regarding tactics? I actually received a great email from Marc V. the other day (he responded in less than a day) icon14.gif explaining what he thought was wrong with my tactical set-up. It's no coincidence that since his reply, I have been playing much more consistently and winning most games at home. I can't help feeling that if I had access to this information sooner, my enjoyment of the game would have started sooner rather than later.

I don't like the rewards idea at all.

How about the big stick then? ie The one I'm beating you with for trying to get round being put on post moderation by setting up this alias account. How does that sound?

When I first came onto the forums 4 years ago people were kind enough to help each other and politely mention when someone had placed a post in the wrong place - now it is like someone has committed murder

That's not what I find at all.

When I try and help someone, but say that they might get a better/accurate response in the correct forum, I am often told that they know but they are just posting in here as well as it will get viewed my more people.

Some of you people seem to be trying to suggest that all the people posting new threads in the wrong forum, do so by accident or without knowledge of where the post should be made.

In actual fact, the people making the majority of these posts know exactly what they are doing and simply don't care because their experience has taught them that you don't get punished for abusing the rules.

Good intentions from Miles, hope it's followed through as there are a small number of regular posters who put down other members of the forum, mostly dressed up in condescending formality as a way to try to mask the insults.

I know this has bound to have been suggested in the other 7 pages of the thread but an effective search engine would go some way to reduce the numbers of repeat topics plus an improved archiving solution for dead threads, say 3 months with no new replies.

Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">remember the strategy guides that used to come out after the most recent versions of CM and I personally

found them extremely useful.

They were never made by SI though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true,Ackter.SI allowed someone with unique access to the game to put them together.

And I suppose however useful an in depth guide may be for some it still couldn't cover every conceivable situation

that people find the game throws at them.

I am not sure what the problem is. GQ has always been like this.

There has always been a high volume of users and threads, repeated questions and ideas, threads descending into arguments and not as many regulars.

There are better periods due to the enthusiasm and helpfulness of certain posters.

=----------------------------------=

I think have a "Beginners Questions forum" which is more tolerant of repeated questions. And have a regularly updated FAQ with the most common questions.

And then have a "Suggestions" forum which would have a slower turnover of threads to encourage regulars.

Have an index with links to the best threads of the last month. This means they don't drop off the page too quickly, gets more people involved and gives posters something to aspire to.

Tactics forum is good in that way. Big threads contributed to. They hang around. They are not made and forgotten within a day. There is a community of regulars within those threads.

Also if you get new GQ mods. Only roster them on for a few days a week to prevent burnout.

I remember prodigious GQ posters from the past like Liam Harper, gavnoble, Herman Bloom, Smiley Dan etc. There was a certain point where they seemed to get burnt out.

Archived