You know you are addicted to football manager when............

you no ur addicted to fm when you're in the middle of a snooker match and see a formation you think would work with your current team so you get a camera photo it and jot it down and run home

Haha, this actually made me burst out laughing!

When you hear about a player from some obscure team coming to the prem that you have had on FM you smile to yourself and tell everyone how good he is.

I do that all the time :D.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you've just realised you told your girlfriend she could come over tomorrow night because she's feeling a bit neglected, forgetting of course that tomorrow night is September 3rd!

This is the same girlfriend who's made it through me swearing down the phone at my Shamrock Rovers' failure's and thinking I was swearing at her.

Who's made it through my bebo quiz' claim that the only thing better than sex is Football Manager.

Who's made it through countless cancellations of night out etc due to FM.

Who's made it through me being in a bitch of a mood on more than one occasion due to losing.

Who's made it through me telling her I was too tired and needed to go to bed, only for her to find me an hour later celebrating a 2-1 victory.

I think I face a difficult conversation...

you tell your gf to take the cd with her, because if she doesn't you might not do any schoolwork today (or go to classes, as I only went to one yesterday because I wanted to finish my 2nd season with PSV)

also, the ONLY thing keeping me from staying in tonight is the fact that I'm playing a real game of football tonight

When you've just realised you told your girlfriend she could come over tomorrow night because she's feeling a bit neglected, forgetting of course that tomorrow night is September 3rd!

This is the same girlfriend who's made it through me swearing down the phone at my Shamrock Rovers' failure's and thinking I was swearing at her.

Who's made it through my bebo quiz' claim that the only thing better than sex is Football Manager.

Who's made it through countless cancellations of night out etc due to FM.

Who's made it through me being in a bitch of a mood on more than one occasion due to losing.

Who's made it through me telling her I was too tired and needed to go to bed, only for her to find me an hour later celebrating a 2-1 victory.

I think I face a difficult conversation...

i feel your pain!....ruuuuuuun! but take a laptop with you ;)

you tell your gf to take the cd with her, because if she doesn't you might not do any schoolwork today

hahaha I've done that! had a big bit of uni coursework due so when i visited home i left the cd there

my one, and I need to warn you it shows how sick a person i am:

you know you're addicted to football manager when:

you get impatient during a wake because you've just thought of some brilliant tactics for the upcoming champions league final, so you leave early

please don't judge me

This really made me laugh!

......you call in sick for work because you were up until 5am playing even though you don't get sick pay because you're a temp.

lol it could be worse.. been talkin about it recently.. there was a guy that almost died cos of fm....

Also when you annoy your friends and family by constantly talking to them about your latest results and your dealings in the transfer market even though you know full well they have no interest whatsoever.

Spot on. My old man gets the hump when i talk about who i have signed for my team on FM, hes threatened to snap my disk because i play it too much and he gets annoyed with me shouting at the screen when a goal is disallowed ect.

Luckily some om my mates also play FM so i don't annoy them that much, i just can't believe how addictive this game actually is.

been playing since championship manager 97/98 and i think the best times you think bout football manager is when you a lower team doing really well, being a kopite going liverpool is always great but after 3 seasons youve usually won either the league once, champs league or get to a domestic final each season. but i did find going watford an getting promoted i basically set up a table in front of the very comfy chair i own, a day or twos worth of food, bottle of coke, and a perhaps 6 pack in the fridge for success. longest i can remember playing was with tranmere think i went through the entire night til bout 8 something am, tranfers seem to be major being a lower team.

but ive read through what others said and i agree with "when you get confused with results on FM an real life" "when losing in the first leg of a tie, alls you think bout is the 2nd leg, yes i have the away goal, its at home, hes back from suspension, might play 5 in midfield etc.."

didnt check them all but one is, when you get seriously angry that your star striker says he wants to leave to a bigger club an hes got a year left on contract.

When entering a fantasy football competition you sit down infront of FM and compare all of the players you are interested in and end up picking your entire team based on how they performed in the first season in FM.

*EDIT* As a few others have said, buying the team you are managing and getting a random player on the back. I did this with Bristol City (who I hate) and got Rodríguez on the back, despite James Rodríguez being a regen that appeared in the second season on my game.

when you've played every single fm/cm since 95/96! in the last football manager i played one game for over 140 days worth of gametime! my first set of regens were retiring and i was getting new ones which were getting on! thats dedication :) altho i was unemployed and had nothing else to do :) ive only played 5 seasons on 08 with Chelsea and won every season.... but ive got some catching up to do get to the fm 07 one!

oh, and ive read alot of people losing girlfriends over fm...... the last two girlfrieds ive had, ive got them both addicted to it :) so theres your answer ;)

Dom

After spending 40 years at the same club and spending over 30 days (720+ hours) of game playing time on it, you think its time to start again with the same club as you feel the current game is lacking something. And i have done this too many times over the years. :(

When are annoyed with Sir Alex Ferguson for selling Tim Howard and Guiseppe Rossi IRL because they were the nuts for you on the last FM.

Having a 4 HOUR phone conversation with my mate discussing our respective Spurs saves and whenever i mentioned Mbulelo Mabizela, singing his first name down the phone but being careful not to wake my parents.

Shouting "if i get the sack, i'm taking you with me" to Alan Wiley after he cost me a match i had to win- this was before the Respect agenda came in may i add!

Going to bed talking to myself about my plans for when i next play FM and working out pros and cons of potential signings.

Being dissapointed when Billy Jones signed for Preston from Crewe as he was a fabulous goalscoring CB in the Premier League and later England captain- you felt he could do better

Guest Tru Lyfe

slamming your first against the table after conceding a last minute goal....

cursing your board for the lack of investment...

being genuinely ****ed off after a bad result...

when the line between football manager and reality becomes blurred.

You realise that 90% of your real footballing knowledge has in fact come from FM. I put Bojinov in my dream team this year based on his FM07 ability.

Agreed. I know ages, nationalities, how good players are, positions etc, from well-known down to Championship players. My friends have often said they're amazed at how much about football I know. And it's all from FM!

• 3 weeks later...

When you dislike players IRL, including those who play for your supported team, because they were disloyal, awful or rejected your contract offer!

Feeling sorry for wash-ups because you remember them from the "good-old-days" of Football....ah, Les Ferdinand

Finally, not wanting to get rid of Linvoy Primus (insert appropriate player), when he's still playing at 46 (well, hobbling), his stats are at 5 a piece, he's sapping wages....but he's a club legend

It brings a smile to your face when you read these and remember the 20 odd similar posts over the last dozen years or so.....always so close to the bone which makes them perpetually funny

It must bring a smile to the faces of the Collyer's and Si at least for developing and maintaining such an addiction

When you sign Titus Bramble, make him your captain, and after his first start the media criticizes his start and you say "I am sure that he will get used to our system" then you use an editor to max out his stats and sell him to your rival for 120M then you reset them once he has left. I wonder if you could copy him and make an entire squad of Titus Brambles....Bramble FC is the future!

When you spend 3 hours of valueble playing time cleaning everything off your computer bar FM including music which you enjoy listening to while playing FM in the hope you computer will return to its promised speed and FM runs smooth again.

When i say this my computer is of fairly good spec and had too much crap on it slowing the whole bugger down.

I was travelling round Europe this summer, and travelled to Siena pretty much just to see their stadium, in which I claimed 3 Serie A Titles, 1 UEFA Cup and 2 Italian Cups. I was quite upset when no-one recognised their greatest manager of all time :D

....turned out the city was beautiful too, which was a bonus.

Am considering going to Almere when I do the lowlands next year to celebrate my Omniworld success, but am not sure their stadium has the resourses and demand for tours!

You know your addicted to FM when you go to the Renzo Barbera (Palermo stadium) everyday with the team track suit and a clipboard and you wonder why nobody recognizes you or talks to you. You then walk up to the ass man of the club, Renzo Gobbo, and ask him "How are the lads looking today? We have the international break which means they should get some good training time in. By the way where the hell is Adriano (my star player on FM), fine him two weeks wages for missing this session!. Then security guards carry you off the field before throwing you in the street. At least you look good in your pink training suit. Of course you did win the Scudetto three years in a row, Champions League and UEFA Cup along with the Italian and European Super Cup and Club World Cup and you question their intelligence and remind them of who you are. Once the police show up its a different story.

I dreamed last night that I lost a game with 4 players sent off in the 90th minute. I got up and thought about posting a screen of it in the bugs section, before I realized it was a dream.

Meanwhile, a test tomorrow to wich I have not studied one bit. Year 2028 in my save game, though.

• 4 weeks later...

haha awesome stuff! you guys rule!!!!

when you plug you FM into your 40" HDTV, have your mates over and play until the sun shines. when you were actually invited for a free night out

also when I used to hear unrealistic remarks like 'you will fail the year' actually comes true.................. :'(

...your real-life favourite team managed to win a very difficult match away from home, then you realise in your dreams and to your horror that the real-life match needs to be replayed because something happened and the game hadn't been saved yet.

Archived