clear cut chances? haha..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive created 20 clear cut chances in 4 games but scored only one. my stikers always hit it straight at the keeper (and they subsequently get a rating of 9+). it cant be a problem with my tactics if im creating such opportunites, but merely my strikers cant finish for ****. any ideas how to fix this??

p.s. im united, so im not sure you can blame the pedigree of striker

Have you the latest patch?

to the OP, if you want to score more goals in ccc, the strikers you'd want to buy are those with high composure, finishing, and maybe even technique and concentration. also, try to teach your strikers to "place shots in corners". My striker started to score much more after learning this, even though he's not a very good striker in my conference team.

and with regards to the argument of the ratio of the ccc's scored, i think that the current ME is doing well enough, as i have a ratio of 1 goal / 1.46 ccc. dunno if it applies to others as well

Hi, just out of curiosity calculated my whole last season's ccc's

I had superior team in 2023 winning almost every competition so opposition played most of the times very defensively.

My CCC 325 - goals 160 so ~ 50%

Opposition CCC 77 - goals 56 ~ 70%

Frustrating to see my world class strikers missing break aways and open nets and hitting posts all over again. Just to see opposition conter attack score scorcher through traffic.

Story of most of my games (4 or 5 of these things occur almost every time).

- POST or crossbar!!! (or 5 posts...)

- injury

- computer dominating me after i got lead (tried every countermeasure available.. not bothering anymore, just take it as it is..).

- last 5 mins of the game are in highlight mode if computer is down by 1-2 goals, never the opposite.

- computer scoring on OVER OVER time like when 90+4 and the time is 96.46.. IRL it is relative rare of ref to give extra time on extra time.

- halftime slump. 4-0 up halftime 4-4 fulltime. (even when changing to counter attack)

I recall that on EURO 2008 betwin gave 10-1 if the match had a post hit :D In this game could have made a fortune.

So the problem is the ME cus with some tatcics it creates too much cc chances that are mised so results can be realistic.So Si fix the match engine!!!The ME of Fm08 after the second patch was more realitic than this match engine.

ive created 20 clear cut chances in 4 games but scored only one. my stikers always hit it straight at the keeper (and they subsequently get a rating of 9+). it cant be a problem with my tactics if im creating such opportunites, but merely my strikers cant finish for ****. any ideas how to fix this??

I'm also playing as United and in all seriousness i have yet to see Ronaldo , Rooney , Tevez and berbatov score with a 1v1 with the keeper. I'm creating around 4 or 5 a game and everytime they shoot the ball seem's to hit the keeper

It's doin my head in!

People posting stats over goals and CCs ratio should take in mind that many of the goals they score are from "normal" shots, not CC ones.

So, CC scoring rate is by far lower than showed on those stats.

Of course, but those stats quoted were just comparative stats, to show that there are differences in people's games with the number of CCCs scored.

dafuge - 2 things im noticing which are really getting on my t!ts are DR/DL not blocking crosses effectively enough and players aimlessly running the ball out of play when under no pressure at all. Is it worth me posting PKM's of this? Im noticing it quite a lot and im conceding a fair amount of goals due to the DR/DL issue.

If its something tactical, do you have any advice?

dafuge - 2 things im noticing which are really getting on my t!ts are DR/DL not blocking crosses effectively enough and players aimlessly running the ball out of play when under no pressure at all. Is it worth me posting PKM's of this? Im noticing it quite a lot and im conceding a fair amount of goals due to the DR/DL issue.

If its something tactical, do you have any advice?

I'm no tactical expert but the people in the tactics forum are. It might be worth posting in there to see if it anything tactical that is causing it. It could also be something to do with particular attributes of the players that is causing them to act like that.

If they tell you to go to the bugs forum then you know there's a problem.

I love this: Well, they are making us miss chances to keep it realistic because there are too many chances. Why can't they just make the match engine so there are a realistic number of chances?

Well, they are closer than anyone else, and if it was easy to make an absolutely realistic ME then everyone would have done it. Play FIFA for 90 minutes and the score is 23-22 - I tried. It's not easy.

Well, actually no: the thrust of the replies in this thread are "we miss chances because otherwise the scorelines would be unrealistic, why can't you just make a realistic number of chances in the ME?" That's my point: it's not easy and it is unrealistic (there's that word again) to expect that it is, or that it will just happen.

Well, actually no: the thrust of the replies in this thread are "we miss chances because otherwise the scorelines would be unrealistic, why can't you just make a realistic number of chances in the ME?" That's my point: it's not easy and it is unrealistic (there's that word again) to expect that it is, or that it will just happen.

imo all these moans come from the fact that defensive inteligence and AI's ability to adopt has beem ignored for far too long now. if that was fixed, those chances wouldn't happen in the first place and there would be no need for ME to keep realistic score lines in weird way. add traditional importance of pace in the series and it's not hard to understand why it is happening.

it's not easy but 920 is a big step back not forward.

Copy from the bug forum, as things seems to go faster here:

2:10 goal per CCC ratio, oppositions keepers rating: 8.6

ccc1sz2.jpg

1:6 goal per CCC ratio, oppositions keepers rating: 8.2

ccc2mn1.jpg

0:5 goal per CCC ratio

ccc3ov7.jpg

1:7 goal per CCC ratio, oppositions keepers rating: 8.5

ccc4fn7.jpg

This is the bug that is annoying me the most atm, I feel like crying everytime I run into one of these matches (which I really shouldnt ofc, some times I benefit from it! - its rare though). Want some PKM files, let me know - and I'll upload them ASAP!

Hi Traver. The thing is that the keeper ratings in the screenshots you posted explain the lack of goals in those individual samples: they played blinders and saved the CCCs, rather than the strikers missing them. If it was the other way round then there is a clear problem as there is in the OP's thing.

Hi Traver. The thing is that the keeper ratings in the screenshots you posted explain the lack of goals in those individual samples: they played blinders and saved the CCCs, rather than the strikers missing them. If it was the other way round then there is a clear problem as there is in the OP's thing.

Well, it's debatable whether a shot "passed" into the arms of the keeper is a blinding save. :-)

They do get high ratings for "saving" a few of those.

In my opinion, and as others have mentioned too, this issue is caused by defenders' "stupidity" creating too many 1-on-1's, but the ME rectifies that by making those opportunities result in easy pick ups for the goalies.

The result is that actual match events become less exciting, predictable and more often frustrating * to watch than those in FM 2008, even though 09 has potential to surpass it.

* And not frustrating in a good way. If you saw the keeper make a great save you could *insert favourite expletive here* but at the same time still sort of smile in appreciation. If you just see your world class striker gently chip the ball into the keeper's arms time after time, your defenders crabbing, your players ignoring the ball just beside them (or coming to them) and turning away, then you really start asking yourself what am I doing playing this game, and the magic of FM wanes.

There, I've bolded three big ME issues which if they were solved would make 09 far more enjoyable.

I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but why do you need his pkm? Surely the same happens to your game too, can't you get the pkms from there for this particular problem?

Not everyone has this problem. I'm on the 9.2 patch and have been playing as Man City, primarily to "try out" the patch. Robinho has 11 in 14 games, Trezeget 13 in 16 games, and Jo 12 in 10 games. A LOT of 1 on 1s in there too - in fact MOST of Jo's are 1-on-1s. They miss quite a few, but if I see them missing two or three in a match I change a couple of minor things and they usually score.

Several people here are making the incorrect assumption that ALL goals they scored are from CCCs. For example, 6 CCCs, 3 goals = 50% conversion, right? Wrong. Many of your goals will be from non-CCCs, so the conversion rate is actually a lot lower.

Not everyone has this problem. I'm on the 9.2 patch and have been playing as Man City, primarily to "try out" the patch. Robinho has 11 in 14 games, Trezeget 13 in 16 games, and Jo 12 in 10 games. A LOT of 1 on 1s in there too - in fact MOST of Jo's are 1-on-1s. They miss quite a few, but if I see them missing two or three in a match I change a couple of minor things and they usually score.

The problem is clearly here and it has been for years. Even you say that they miss quite a few. This "quite a few" may in fact be a game breaking unbalance for people who want a realistic game. Then you say that you may see them miss 2 or 3 1 on 1s and you tweak. What exactly do you tweak? If you have to tweak something tactical for your player to score a 1 on 1 this is still idiotic and unrealistic, especially when we are talking about world class strikers.

The point is that you can't have each team with a four, five or six 1 on 1s chances in almost every other game. It is completely and utterly game breaking.

Just take the time needed and fix the ME, for God's sake...!!!

how about writing a completely new match engine for fm 2010? i think the rest of the game is really nice and it's useless to present several new features every year, when the match engine destroys the fun of the game anyway..

so please concentrate on the match engine this year, because the rest of the game is totally alright!

I swear all the people in this thread agreeing with the OP are the OP, as I think most of the trolls on this forum are the same person. Because quite frankly Lyvean, you complaining about this problem and claiming it is completely and utterly game breaking and then refusing to help fix this problem by providing your PKM is just childish. I bet you are one of those people who drops litter on the street because you think it's someone's job to do it. I've got to say act your age, which is hopefully not 33, if it is you've got some serious issues.

I swear all the people in this thread agreeing with the OP are the OP, as I think most of the trolls on this forum are the same person. Because quite frankly Lyvean, you complaining about this problem and claiming it is completely and utterly game breaking and then refusing to help fix this problem by providing your PKM is just childish. I bet you are one of those people who drops litter on the street because you think it's someone's job to do it. I've got to say act your age, which is hopefully not 33, if it is you've got some serious issues.

Typical. Many thanks.

how about writing a completely new match engine for fm 2010? i think the rest of the game is really nice and it's useless to present several new features every year, when the match engine destroys the fun of the game anyway..

so please concentrate on the match engine this year, because the rest of the game is totally alright!

I think the transfer system could do with a little bit more work, but the ME is probably the thing most problems come from. I don't know how hard it would be to make a new match engine, but if they started working on it now, I'd much rather they brought it out for FM11, so it can be tried and tested so it is better than the current one.

Playing on commentary only is great, as the scores at the end of the game tends to be realistic and striker tend to score a decent amount depending on their ability and your tactics. It's the match engines interpretation of chances and goals that doesn't necessarily reflect real life.

I think that you have just highlighted the issue completely CaptainPlanet, I think that most of the issues that people are having with the ME are being caused because now that there is 3D representation of the match, players are seen to 'appear' to do strange things and just chip the ball into a grateful keepers arms, or stand alongside the ball whilst an opposing player comes in and takes the ball off of their toes and whatever other 'stupid' things the ME makes the players (Both AI & Our players) do. The issue here I believe is that at this time there can only be so many different graphical representations of the whole game (see goal celebrations as a prime example!) so therefore when the keeper 'saves' a one-on-one or a striker misses a one-on-one then there are only limited ways that this can be shown in 3D by the game. Without going back and looking at each game the OP played and understanding if the AI manager changed tactics after going 1-0 down and subsequently scored as the OP failed to react to the tactic change then it's very difficult to pass comment on whether this is an issue or not.

We all know that each time we start a new game there are things that change and that the variables will therefore change for each of us resulting in different games & experiences for us all, I believe this is why the PKM's were asked for to try and see if indeed it is a bug or not! Apologies for the long post!

All this is unacceptable!

We are open thread anywhere on this problem and no one deserves to solve it.

play with this bug is a disgusting.

SI must move and release the patch before the end of the transfer market.

now do not play more, just look on the forum to see if SI have resolved this bug!

we need 9.3 to play!

All this is unacceptable!

We are open thread anywhere on this problem and no one deserves to solve it.

play with this bug is a disgusting.

SI must move and release the patch before the end of the transfer market.

now do not play more, just look on the forum to see if SI have resolved this bug!

we need 9.3 to play!

I certainly don't need 9.3 to play.

Read 3 posts up and you will have seen:

As has been mentioned by various people throughout the thread, it is quite clearly a genuine problem for some people but not for others. I would suggest that anyone who is experiencing this as a real problem should raise it in the bugs forum and supply whatever information is needed (probably pkms) so that the testing team can have a look at it.

Come on guys. There's no point moaning about problems in the game if you're not willing to contribute in getting them fixed. Start posting your PKM's in the bugs forum with a thread to highlight your problems and we might actually get somewhere towards improving the game instead of just pointless whinging and moaning. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

calculated my ccc's vs goals this season (13 games)

I had 33 ccc's, scored 15

opponents had 19 ccc's against me, scored 13

just got relegated to lower division, I have clearly better strikers (and players overall), media prediction is 1st, I am performing better, but can't seem to win as often as I should. Currently 6th, after 13 games. I am to disappointed to even load the game. And somehow I doubt 9.3 patch will fix this problem.

calculated my ccc's vs goals this season (13 games)

I had 33 ccc's, scored 15

opponents had 19 ccc's against me, scored 13

just got relegated to lower division, I have clearly better strikers (and players overall), media prediction is 1st, I am performing better, but can't seem to win as often as I should. Currently 6th, after 13 games. I am to disappointed to even load the game. And somehow I doubt 9.3 patch will fix this problem.

Ditto. It's an incredibly frustrating position - my team is much more talented and outperforming every single AI team I play in the league, yet the results simply don't reflect that. I don't need an unbeatable team , just results that reflects the measurable stats from match play. Add in the team talk issue, and this game having any chance of realism is out the door.

I also have issues playing heavy underdogs and how this effects my shots on targets and CCCs. Basically, my percentage of shots on targets and CCCs as a result of shots goes down drastically against weaker teams that try the bunker mentality against me. As a result I get a lot of low scoring wins or draws against teams that I statistically destroyed out on the field. Anyone else notice this?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this problem too. I've been noticing that players often, when they have a one on one chance against the goalkeeper, tend to mess up. I've been playing around 15 or 20 games so far this season with FC Copenhagen, and out of the 10 or so clear cut chances I've had, only one has gone in. For some strange reason my strikers will always just shoot straight at the goalkeeper and thus mess it up, which is really frustrating. I see no reason for this to keep happening, as they have both high composure and finishing and shouldn't be failing at this rate. Time and time again they just run straight at the goal and fire off some weak shot where they could easily aim for, and execute, a shot at one of the corners of the goal. I had this happen 3 or 4 times in one match.

For the record, this is not only happening to me, but also my opponents. I played Manchester City in the Uefa cup qualifications, and being that their team was vastly superior to mine, they had numerious one on ones against my goalie but managed to score none. They did the exact same thing as my strikers tend to, shooting straight at the goalkeeper and making it a very easy save for him. It really sucks.

cleon, do you not think it is an issue that the game limits the amount of goals scored just to make scores realistic? it's surely an indication that the match engine (in terms of defending, of course) is flawed which would explain the increased level of chances as compared to real life.

I think the amount of CCC's is flawed in how many we create. But there has to be something coded into the game to keep scores realistic on some level. However the number of CCC's does need tuning yeah slightly. Especially for top teams, at lower levels and mid table sides its not an issue as the score reflects the CCC's I have. But at top sides its a bigger issue imo.

I think the amount of CCC's is flawed in how many we create. But there has to be something coded into the game to keep scores realistic on some level. However the number of CCC's does need tuning yeah slightly. Especially for top teams, at lower levels and mid table sides its not an issue as the score reflects the CCC's I have. But at top sides its a bigger issue imo.

Spot on Cleon, this is what i think is the problem.

Basically, its too easy to create good chances once you know how to play the game a little and get the best out of the sliders(or d/load a tactic from someone who does? lol)

Based on this, the game is coded to reduce the amount of goals scored when this occurs.

This actually answers both sides of the argument if you think about it?

I overachieve with weaker teams, making lots of chances and CCC's even against the bigger Clubs therefore the coding that was introduced goes to work making sure i dont score to often, this leads to all these funny looking games we keep seeing and all these missed CCC's

Those that DONT see this must be using a tactic that does'nt over create in terms of chances and CCC's, therefore the coding need never(or rarely) be introduced, ergo, they do not see any/so many of the types of games so many people are getting miffed about.

It does make a lot of sense.

In fact when you think about it, this could actually explain away the same problem i and many others have had with the last few versions? i called it cheating back then, but can now see how it can actually work both ways, for and against the Human and AI.

Cleon, i think you have just hit the flipping nail on the flipping head fella!!!

Its obvious that its the match engine's problem. I think out of all striker in OP's Mancity squard,maybe only Ibra have poor 1 on 1 records in real world. Others are all clinical finisher. Most of the time my strikers when 1 on 1 just shoot the ball to the GK and the GK push it away or even catch it. Its like about 4-5 times my striker will score 1, which to be honest quite unrealistic my strikers are all world class.

I agree that its really discourage when you have your striker going 1 on 1 and then you just know he will miss it. I hope 9.30 will fix this issue.

Its obvious that its the match engine's problem. I think out of all striker in OP's Mancity squard,maybe only Ibra have poor 1 on 1 records in real world. Others are all clinical finisher. Most of the time my strikers when 1 on 1 just shoot the ball to the GK and the GK push it away or even catch it. Its like about 4-5 times my striker will score 1, which to be honest quite unrealistic my strikers are all world class.

I agree that its really discourage when you have your striker going 1 on 1 and then you just know he will miss it. I hope 9.30 will fix this issue.

well said indeed :thup:

i'm really curious about the changes of patch 9.30. if they still ignore our complaints (which are proven and comprehensible to anyone who has something like a brain in his (or her) head), the chapter football manager is closed for me and i'll never buy anything from SI.

and to all you SI fanboys (idiots), who support and defend this crappy match engine by telling it would be realistic, that c. ronaldo or torres would score about 1 goal on 5 1on1s in real football:

why are the cpu strikers able to to finish EVERY 1on1 situation when i'm playing against arsenal? why do you have to pay 30 millions for such world class strikers, when any other noname striker will score the same, because my superstars are too weak to score on 1on1 situations?

obviously SI wanted to prevent extremly strong teams to dominate every game. but it's no solution letting their strikers miss any 1on1 while the opponent scores with any lousy chance they get.

Archived