The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

Reached that point in the save my players are being targeted.

Why is it the clubs making offers don’t want to postpone the transfer but then come back with a loan back offer. Don’t they know the rules of the save? :lol:

So I sold Roos to PSG after Inter met the minimum fee release clause of £6.25m, I negotiated for £5.5m, 500k after 1 international appearance and 40% of profit from next sale.

He will be missed that’s for sure, here’s the last look at him as a Chiasso player:

image.thumb.png.465de94f550eab2df1e8ff52e7eb797c.png

Always annoying to miss a player on a minimum release clause. In the future, to try avoiding it, you can set a price tag for the player that is just below the release clause. The AI will usually not make any bids above your asking price. They do sometimes, but it isually works. 

what sort of stats should we be looking at for what will make youth players good to keep etc? I have never really done a youth challenge before, so not sure on development properly. Here are my personalities and determination stat in the squad. The best player is Anthony Connor, low determination personality and 5 as a stat. but he was born to score goals.

image.thumb.png.421b08009802128fa446786a52115108.pngimage.thumb.png.8aa5dc0ad8bece255249ad88dbe92084.png

@Barnsley personalities (and media-handling) are really important but I always give a player a shot if they have high potential.  My top striker started at Casual and still managed to develop a bit, but far less than the players from his intake that had good personalities.

As for what to look for, I would say a positive personality, then media-handling (Unflappable seems to be a good one, for example) then Determination.  Determination can be boosted a bit by fining for poor performances.

I would always sign youth with good personality etc. as this will improve the squad personality, which filters through the whole squad.  Its mostly impacted by team leaders, so captains and regulars.  I only pick captains and vice captains with good personality etc.

image.png.e1c0ba63f7fc02ae89231fd31517e428.png image.png.17f1a397a82f4474fa3597b93f8658aa.png

7 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Damn it, I am torn.  I am playing the San Marino challenge which is great fun and the Global challenge.  I have just noticed the phenomenal database by Mozza, the Scottish database down to tier ten, is now out...I have also found kits for all divisions.

Grrrrr.

I was considering Scotland recently after watching the BBC documentary on Fort William FC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001bgt9

8 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Damn it, I am torn.  I am playing the San Marino challenge which is great fun and the Global challenge.  I have just noticed the phenomenal database by Mozza, the Scottish database down to tier ten, is now out...I have also found kits for all divisions.

Grrrrr.

Does this database get around all the bugs with the Scottish U18 teams in the vanilla database people have been reporting? I haven't played Scotland in a few years so I wouldn't know.

45 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Grrrrr.

Too many save types too little time :lol:

I miss playing champ man in my teens where I didn’t have a full time job and responsibilities :onmehead:

43 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Does this database get around all the bugs with the Scottish U18 teams in the vanilla database people have been reporting? I haven't played Scotland in a few years so I wouldn't know.

I can move players into the youth side and I can also recruit staff for the youth side.

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

Always annoying to miss a player on a minimum release clause. In the future, to try avoiding it, you can set a price tag for the player that is just below the release clause. The AI will usually not make any bids above your asking price. They do sometimes, but it isually works. 

I had negotiated with PSG and Juventus to the point where they would not speak anymore, so I negotiated rather than suggested. Inter then came in for him meeting the minimum fee so when PSG came back I wanted to try and get a percentage built in the the deal so if he has really high potential then I’d not feel like I was shortchanged.

Time will tell, in my Katwijk save most players that left to the big guns didn’t get played that often and only Sezer, my Turkish centre back wonderkid, got an additional move from Bayern to Juve (he left for minimum fee so that’s why I’m now scarred by it :lol:)

19 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Mozza's database is here and it fixes the Under 18 bug in Scotland.  The database can be found here.  So, tier ten here we come.  St. Peters finished bottom of the tenth tier so they are my new club.

Club Introduction

St. Peters

WavAwtE.png

The Manager

This is me.

Hnx19Po.png

Personal Contract

Season     Contract Start Date     Contract Expiry Date     Pre Tax Wage     Post Tax Wage
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At start          25 June 2023              31 May 2024         £150 p/w          £150 p/w

Personal Coaching Data

Season     Reputation            Qualifications     Att   Def   Fit   GkD   GkH   GkS   Tac   Tec   Men   WWY   Ada   Det   PlK   YoK   LoD   MaM   Mot
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At start   Minimal   (0.25*)     None                 1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     1     4     1     1     1     4     1     1     1

Club Facilities

Season     Training Facilities  Youth Facilities  Corporate Facilities  Junior Coaching  Youth Recruitment  Club Reputation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At Start   Poor                 Poor              Adequate              Basic            Limited            Obscure   (0.50*)

Season Record

Season     Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference     Win Percentage
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Career Record

After Season   Played     Won     Drawn     Lost     Goals For     Goals Against     Goal Difference     Win Percentage     Time At Club
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer Sale Record

Date               Player                    Position               Club Sold To                 Country                   Transfer Fee
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trophy Haul

Season     Competition Won
--------------------------

Trophy Cabinet

League Titles
-------------

Cup Competition Victories
-------------------------

Career Overview

Season     Champions League    Europa League    Europa Conference League             League                             Position     Scottish Cup          Premier Sports Cup        Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record Number of Appearances (Players From The Academy Only)

Season     Player                    Cumulative Number of Appearances
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Record Goal Scorer (Players From The Academy Only)

Season     Player                          Cumulative Number of Goals

Record Number of Assists (Players From The Academy Only)

Season     Player                        Cumulative Number of Assists

Record Number of Clean Sheets (Players From The Academy Only)

Season     Player                    Cumulative Number of Clean Sheets
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck ! I found a solution (delete U20/reserve team and appoint a u18 staff member with a contract valid untill you take the job.

But i'm not sure if im going for Scotland.

31 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Mozza's database is here and it fixes the Under 18 bug in Scotland.  The database can be found here.  So, tier ten here we come.  St. Peters finished bottom of the tenth tier so they are my new club.

That's my next port of call sorted should things go pear-shaped in Sweden :D 

So out of curiosity for how the Belgium finances would play out I've loaded the top-flight from the start of my save. 3 years ago in 2023 KV Kortrijk got a Tycoon Takeover. Looking at the spikes he invested maybe 120-130M into the club. With them actually making +5M in transfers they have burned through half of that money already with a staggering -1.4M monthly cashflow. I'll be checking in every few years to see what happens.

image.png.353bf874693afe6ba25bbb7c2d14f0d8.png

Most of the clubs are somewhere between +1M and -5M however Standard, KV Oostende, & OHL are all at -10M with Charleroi not far behind at -9M.

Surprisingly KAA Gent is the most financially stable of the clubs registering 2 2nd place finishes and will get 3rd this year.

Spoiler

image.png.0d552df65f37749125520507948bd365.png

Club Bruge for example has fallen to break-even after missing European Football this season

Spoiler

image.png.badaa294e0ceb6ce8b34bd9094cdd927.png

And the most broke is SV Zulte Waregem at -15.8M and they sold off their youth facilities

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3124ecb30b86aec4b87eff850775b33e.png

I am really struggling to find any kind of consistency. Work so hard to get a win, throw away so many leads when flying in the game, amount of games i am leading at HT and get hammered and concede an obscene amount of goals. I finally feel my team is a top half team now, but genuinely cannot get away from the bottom and relegation zone. I Just can't win a few games on the spin to move anywhere. Very frustrating!

One thing I noticed is that no matter what are the instructions I give both to the team and individually, my center-backs will keep forcing a pass to my lone center striker. I'm not using him as Target Man, set up a 'Play of the defence' approach, and a shorter passing and they keep doing it and losing possession. I'm getting mad hahaha

yep! similar, i have my defensive line so far back but most goals are just long balls and my defenders step out and they are in one on one every time. (i have them set to low line, drop off more, but they still do what they want) frustrating! I am sure it will click, i am sure!

EqXGwdx.png

2025/26 Midseason Review:

kTXOWUa.png

9aACglU.png

We're doing good, but should be doing better. Leaving a lot of points on the table. While I'm happy with where we are it's still frustrating to not be cashing in all the chances we're getting. Hopefully the goals start coming in and maybe get a shot at promotion. 

Intake Preview:

pzO0mzx.png

Another really strong looking preview. Bonus that the bottom two positions are ones we don't play with.

1 hour ago, v1n1akabozo said:

One thing I noticed is that no matter what are the instructions I give both to the team and individually, my center-backs will keep forcing a pass to my lone center striker. I'm not using him as Target Man, set up a 'Play of the defence' approach, and a shorter passing and they keep doing it and losing possession. I'm getting mad hahaha

Yep, same.  Shorter passing, play out of defence and still it is often hoofed up to a lone striker.  And often their attacks start when this invariably means they pick up the loose ball

3 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

Yep, same.  Shorter passing, play out of defence and still it is often hoofed up to a lone striker.  And often their attacks start when this invariably means they pick up the loose ball

Same here.

On 15/11/2022 at 08:52, glennuk said:

So even though the bugs are there in Indonesia League Two, I think they may be more visual and annoying than game breaking.

Basically:

Contracts: Manager (myself) and player contracts seem to end on Dec 31st even though that is in the middle (2/3rds) of the way through the season. However my contract as manager ran out (the board would not offer another one), but I was not fired. I eventually asked and got a new contract in March, making me think although the contracts say Dec 31st is the expiry, in game the AI is seeing it as 31st June. Going to test more with player contracts to see how that seems, but I have just been renewing contracts early (as in renewing in March 2024 for those who expire in Dec 2024), at this stage (end of season 1) I don't want to let anyone go.

Squad Registration

Summer Transfer Window is: 1st July - 25th August

Summer registration period seems to be: 17th February - 1st June

Winter Registration period seems to be: 15th October - 24th October

This seems to not make sense. You can sign players on the 1st July, but not register them until 15th October. My youth intake was 1st July, but they could not play for around the first 10 games of the season as they couldn't be registered.

However despite these issues (and doing well with Unterhaching), I may make Indonesia my main youth save.

Anyway, anyone else planning to start in Indonesia beware of the above.

I started my youth save in Indonesia, with Badak Lampung F.C. However I only started noticing the bugs when I tried to renew my existing players' contracts. 

The players I signed from youth intake could not be register till the 10th game of the season, which was annoying. The registration rules do not make sense at all. And now I see people reporting the most alarming thing, the contract renewal issue of the manager. 

I feel I have to stop this save for now. These annoying things will not allow me to fully enjoy this long term save.

Is there any chance SI will fix this bug before the January Transfer Update? 

Hmmm, i don't understand this, but i won the promotion final last season, but the team i beat got the the division above. I'm a bit disappointed, but i'll work with what i got and try to get promoted again.

And because of the bad finances, the club got amatuer again :P

ed7143468990114ab66862d73ea0aae6.png

2 minutes ago, Winski said:

Wow @thomas_e, those two youngsters from the last intake are amazing!! :eek:

Yes, they are absolutely brilliant. The intake preview was great, but you never know what you're going to get, so I was absolutely ecstatic when I was the intake in March. 

We also got several other promising players. Not great stats, but great personalities! Really gives me great hope for the future! 

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

Energie Cottbus – Wikipedia

Energie Cottbus

Season Summary 2026 - 2027

A great Bundesliga survival and very promosing youngsters! 

Our first season in the Bundesliga and it was always going to be a fight to survive. Several of the players in the starting eleven were with the team from the start of the save and even though they have developed really well we are extremely weak in several positions. Out of 18 teams we finished in a very impressive 14th place. We struggled massively in many games, but we actually won the season opener and never at one point throughout the season did we sit in a relegation spot. 

After winning the first game our victories came very rarely, but we did manage to win three games in a row before christmas and that run of games (including two draws after this) were really important! We also had quite a few easy games at the end of the season so with 7-8 games left I was quite comfortable in our chances. Not that we ended up winning most of those games anyway, but we got some points here and there. Hamburger SV and 1860 Munchen had shocking seasons, 1860 only won two games all year, so it was good for us that two teams fell so far behind early on. 

I really hope that will be the case next year as well, as we are certainly not in any position to be climbing on the table. Next season will be really tough and avoiding relegation is all that matters! I have probably played closer to 100 seasons on this challenge. This was definitely one of the toughest yet and I'm proud of keeping this team up. 

Mid-March I promoted two defenders from the U19 side and put them straight into the first team. Throwing out a couple of old bad players, and trusting the next generation of quality players!! I have a great U19 side at the moment, as strong as I can remember having at this challenge, and I need to integrate more and more of those players as soon as possible. 

We had another great intake and Noah Dittloff (GK) looks like a potential superstar. He already has a minimum release clause in his first contract, so that is a big worry, this is a player that the big guns will be chasing! 

In classic Football Manager-logic we are now moving out of our 22 000 seat stadium that is always sold out to a new 17 000 seat stadium. Great work SI! 

Goal for next season: Survive and keep bringing in youth players to the starting eleven. 

Season Summary

1788737194_2022-11-1812_08_03-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.c4332653c2b2eea1374f477f75bacd56.png   1877809395_2022-11-1812_08_10-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.c5075e6cb50c7c42e96d0ca9b9b8342a.png   1991466420_2022-11-1812_08_18-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.440c6d5454eb5c8f1d2f525791bd129d.png

Key Players

1307636970_2022-11-1812_08_30-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.cb6b29147799d6da99c2072c50a5ef01.png   458428125_2022-11-1812_08_40-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.6f09c709b9ae98b40d594fdbe2de8a50.png   2121990105_2022-11-1812_08_51-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.0b62c082098ebf2fd2c9ac99d172765f.png

Youth Intake

890312769_2022-11-1810_57_30-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.a507c126f5b2017b21e735ac815b27b8.png   685016819_2022-11-1810_57_36-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.67b7a45188ecda45c224ff0a583024ef.png   1518089793_2022-11-1810_58_03-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.d38f6b19e4fe7cb683c152ccaaab7572.png

image.png.5586af90e4fe674924c80fed736e3413.png

Great newgens ! 

2 hours ago, thomas_e said:

Energie Cottbus – Wikipedia

Energie Cottbus

Season Summary 2026 - 2027

A great Bundesliga survival and very promosing youngsters! 

Our first season in the Bundesliga and it was always going to be a fight to survive. Several of the players in the starting eleven were with the team from the start of the save and even though they have developed really well we are extremely weak in several positions. Out of 18 teams we finished in a very impressive 14th place. We struggled massively in many games, but we actually won the season opener and never at one point throughout the season did we sit in a relegation spot. 

After winning the first game our victories came very rarely, but we did manage to win three games in a row before christmas and that run of games (including two draws after this) were really important! We also had quite a few easy games at the end of the season so with 7-8 games left I was quite comfortable in our chances. Not that we ended up winning most of those games anyway, but we got some points here and there. Hamburger SV and 1860 Munchen had shocking seasons, 1860 only won two games all year, so it was good for us that two teams fell so far behind early on. 

I really hope that will be the case next year as well, as we are certainly not in any position to be climbing on the table. Next season will be really tough and avoiding relegation is all that matters! I have probably played closer to 100 seasons on this challenge. This was definitely one of the toughest yet and I'm proud of keeping this team up. 

Mid-March I promoted two defenders from the U19 side and put them straight into the first team. Throwing out a couple of old bad players, and trusting the next generation of quality players!! I have a great U19 side at the moment, as strong as I can remember having at this challenge, and I need to integrate more and more of those players as soon as possible. 

We had another great intake and Noah Dittloff (GK) looks like a potential superstar. He already has a minimum release clause in his first contract, so that is a big worry, this is a player that the big guns will be chasing! 

In classic Football Manager-logic we are now moving out of our 22 000 seat stadium that is always sold out to a new 17 000 seat stadium. Great work SI! 

Goal for next season: Survive and keep bringing in youth players to the starting eleven. 

Season Summary

1788737194_2022-11-1812_08_03-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.c4332653c2b2eea1374f477f75bacd56.png   1877809395_2022-11-1812_08_10-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.c5075e6cb50c7c42e96d0ca9b9b8342a.png   1991466420_2022-11-1812_08_18-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.440c6d5454eb5c8f1d2f525791bd129d.png

Key Players

1307636970_2022-11-1812_08_30-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.cb6b29147799d6da99c2072c50a5ef01.png   458428125_2022-11-1812_08_40-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.6f09c709b9ae98b40d594fdbe2de8a50.png   2121990105_2022-11-1812_08_51-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.0b62c082098ebf2fd2c9ac99d172765f.png

Youth Intake

890312769_2022-11-1810_57_30-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.a507c126f5b2017b21e735ac815b27b8.png   685016819_2022-11-1810_57_36-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.67b7a45188ecda45c224ff0a583024ef.png   1518089793_2022-11-1810_58_03-FootballManager2023.thumb.png.d38f6b19e4fe7cb683c152ccaaab7572.png

image.png.5586af90e4fe674924c80fed736e3413.png

Sometimes the best seasons are the ones where you avoid relegation after a struggle of a season.

2 hours ago, jepze said:

Hmmm, i don't understand this, but i won the promotion final last season, but the team i beat got the the division above. I'm a bit disappointed, but i'll work with what i got and try to get promoted again.

And because of the bad finances, the club got amatuer again :P

ed7143468990114ab66862d73ea0aae6.png

That's a bummer the playoffs are bugged, but really with the youth contracts all being set a 30 p/w the amateur status is probably a blessing. I just realized I haven't actually played a playoff in either of my saves so i had no idea it didn't work properly.

Since I dont't think that there will be a fix for the financial problem in belgium, I'll restart the challenge soon. At the moment I am thinking about the country I am doing it in (Poland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Romania, Croatia are on my mind)

One question 

@darren1983 / @XaW

I am thinking about using the great "Increase Realism"-Megapack from Daveincid. Is this a database update which can be used and you just get a note if you complete it (since it's only makes the game harder) or is it forbidden?