No highlight speed slider?

Having played the Demo I don't think there is a need for the second slider as the first does the job

Well it certainly does not for me! I do not and never will understand why it's necessary to remove fully working features from the game so that a potential 'new user' wouldn't have to spend two seconds figuring out what a certain option was there for.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's incredibly frustrating not being able to have match speed on fast and highlights on normal - i want to be able to get through yellow and red cards, substitutions and quiet periods of play as quickly as possible while still seeing highlights at a realistic pace. i have no idea why they were switched to one slider, unless there was some kind of problem with the 3d highlights that prevented this. i certainly can't see why the two sliders were merged, and i doubt anyone has ever requested this

if there was any confusion amongst new players as to what the two sliders did, it was solveable by messing about with them for a minute or two, at which point it would become obvious what they each controlled. merging them was pointless, and hopefully will be undone in a future patch

No comment from SI? Why remove a good feature? If you remove the speed sliders because of new users why not also remove the tactics sliders? They can be very confusing to someone who's new to FM. Just put a big button saying PRESS HERE TO WIN ALL MATCHES.

Also in 3D mode why do we have to stare to a freezed image of the game? At least when there aren't highlights show the genereal view like in 2D.

• SI Staff

Hopefully the missing paragraph from the quote posted by Äktsjon Männ should help clear up some of the reason for this change, particularly the last sentence:

"Our approach to the UI design has changed over the last year or so, with us undertaking usability studies and allocating a small group of us from different departments to lead the UI design, which will help to make sure the UI is consistent and intuitive - our belief is that you should be spending all your time playing FM, not working out how interface elements work."

This is just one of the changes that we have implemented on the back of the usability testing we performed on FM2008. Having two match speed settings turned out to be one of the most confusing areas of the interface in the whole game. New users (and even a decent percentage of experienced users) are uncertain of their exect purpose and what effect they actually had on the match. Now, we have a single control that "does what it says on the tin": it controls the speed of the match. It's much clearer what it does, and helps to make the interface more intuitive to use.

I would never rule out the possibility that in the future we may allow the ability to have an "advanced" interface, with a dual speed control, but only if we can implement it in a way that is clear and intuitive, for both new users and "power users" such as some of you guys.

Forcing people to play around with objects to try and figure out what they do is completely wrong in an interface - if you can't figure out instantly what something does from looking at it, then it's badly designed and needs to be improved, which is what we've done here.

@ Martin Smith - That is a little strange. You're taking from one group (experience players who know what the sliders used to do and how they could set them for their own preference) to provide a cleaner interface (marginally cleaner at best) for new players? I still think the interface is massively confusing for new players, especially location of continue button (which isnt highlighted when available/active).

You could have just buried it in the options menu (additional sliders on/off or just the settings for the slider(s) that are removed).

How does a person who can't work out what the two speed sliders do even play this game? I mean, you are expected to mess with tons of sliders in order to play, be it individual or team instructions and yet it's those two sliders that control the match and highlights speed that confuse people the most :confused: Very, very strange decision.

Hopefully the missing paragraph from the quote posted by Äktsjon Männ should help clear up some of the reason for this change, particularly the last sentence:

"Our approach to the UI design has changed over the last year or so, with us undertaking usability studies and allocating a small group of us from different departments to lead the UI design, which will help to make sure the UI is consistent and intuitive - our belief is that you should be spending all your time playing FM, not working out how interface elements work."

This is just one of the changes that we have implemented on the back of the usability testing we performed on FM2008. Having two match speed settings turned out to be one of the most confusing areas of the interface in the whole game. New users (and even a decent percentage of experienced users) are uncertain of their exect purpose and what effect they actually had on the match. Now, we have a single control that "does what it says on the tin": it controls the speed of the match. It's much clearer what it does, and helps to make the interface more intuitive to use.

I would never rule out the possibility that in the future we may allow the ability to have an "advanced" interface, with a dual speed control, but only if we can implement it in a way that is clear and intuitive, for both new users and "power users" such as some of you guys.

Forcing people to play around with objects to try and figure out what they do is completely wrong in an interface - if you can't figure out instantly what something does from looking at it, then it's badly designed and needs to be improved, which is what we've done here.

So the enjoyment of those people is more important than mine? Just because they can't learn a simple thing or even check the manual? Great decision, I certaintly like SI more now.

If i say i find it confusing to have a text mode, 2D mode and 3D mode will you remove 2 of them to help me? Didn't think so.

Extremely poor decision to remove this feature. Even if somehow some people are too dim to figure out what they do, and they can't be arsed to RTFM or look it up on the web, who cares? It doesn't stop them from playing the game or alter how their team performs, and those of us with triple digit IQs can save time by blowing through the unimportant parts of matches while still seeing the key play at a usable speed.

This is a very poor and surprising decision imo. There are certainly more people who were perfectly happy with and could understand two sliders than there are those confused by it. In fact I have never come accross anyone on the forums or in real life who found the previous system confusing. I would imagine SI will be hard pushed to find many who are happy with this decision.

Saddened by this change to the UI.

Games now either take twice as long to play if I set the single slider to where I used to have one slider pre-09 or go by too quickly if I set it to where I want the other speed to be.

As for the quote about forcing people to play around with objects, you haven't removed this.

People are now still 'forced' to customize the UI by moving one slider instead of two. Removing the second slider did nothing for removing UI issues, but it did remove customization choices, which is a bad thing imo.

Come on SI, this is really quite bizzare. Your GUI is still mentally challenging for newcomers and in this instance you've removed something that worked well (maybe you just need to explain things to people a little better through the manual?). There is no way your GUI is pick up and play, so why fiddle with these sliders?

It ruins my ability to watch the text at one speed and highlights of goals at another, so there must be at least one other person out there who cannot setup the game to his/her liking. It's such a confusing call for me to understand that I'm surprised this 'group from different departments' took the decision to alter it... What do QA think? Mods? If the whole of SI dev and QA think its fine as is I'll eat my hat (and buy one).

You have feedback from a focus group that says two sliders are confusing.

*Ah okay, we'll remove one slider and leave one which alters the speed of both things!

So that now players can no longer balance two seperate events to their liking...

Why didnt you relocate but leave this functionality in? You could have put it in preferences/advanced or something. Please consider allowing for this control again for I feel you've taken a step back on something that should have been improved for newcomers without being detrimental to those who knew what both sliders did, not to mention needed the functionality offered by both.

Merci.

It ruins my ability to watch the text at one speed and highlights of goals at another, so there must be at least one other person out there who cannot setup the game to his/her liking.

Why didnt you relocate but leave this functionality in? You could have put it in preferences/advanced or something. Please consider allowing for this control again for I feel you've taken a step back on something that should have been improved for newcomers without being detrimental to those who knew what both sliders did, not to mention needed the functionality offered by both.

I totally agree. For some matches, pre-seasons and such, I dont want to have to watch the text go slow, but I want to see the goals/highlights. As it is, I have to slow down the speed when the 3d view comes on, which is annoying to say the least.

How could people get confused? One was marked HIGHLIGHT SPEED and the other MATCH SPEED. Pretty easy to understand. More so than then new 'TV VIEW' which I think it much more random.

This change makes no sense at all.

Signed times eleventy billion. Im really a bit peeved this option was removed. Apparently it was done after a 'usability study'

What, so SI asked people and they said 'We want LESS options'?????? Or was it similar to the arrows, where people were confused as to what they did? If thats the case, don't do usability studies on morons :p

But yes, the ability to not have the match in speedy mode and the highlights in a slower format that allows me to, you know, SEE them... is pretty silly. It seems like a step backwards.

Please give us the slider back, at least as an additional option which you activate in the preferences or something! It is really annoying to only have the choice between a very slow match day or too fast highlights...

End please don´t tell us that you knew people would be complaining. By reducing this feature the time to complete a matchday and ultimately a season takes much longer!

I feel I have to add my agreement to this thread. The two sliders facilitated the customisation of the match experience, so that everyone could (potentially) tweak it to their personal preference. The fact that this is no longer possible has removed this appreciated flexibility from the UI.

Ollie C directed users in another thread to add their opinions in this thread, so here goes...

As others have said, I find the decision to combine the two sliders bizarre. I can understand a desire to streamline the GUI (although, again agreeing with others, I don't think the new version is particularly intuitive anyway!), but I can't understand removing a level of flexibility from the GUI. IMO the second slider could be hidden away somewhere (either under advanced options, or even using a tickbox in preferences) so that those that like to use them (of which I suspect there are many more than SI anticipated) have the option. Please SI if it is feasible bring back the old two-slider system. Games currently seem to take an age (running in the middle of the slider), but the highlights are absolutely the right speed.

I noticed this and I thought it was ridiculous, it's a right pain because when your highlights come on you have to quickly change the match speed.

And as for people not knowing what the difference between "match speed" and "highlight speed", it looks pretty obvious me to what they mean.

This is critical SI. I love the games but over the years it has taken longer to play each match. Not a problem when you can whizz through and watch the key highlights. I now have 3 stark choices- 1. either whizz thru and watch the key highlights at warp speed; 2. or take even longer to play each match; 3. or have to fiddle with the slider endlessly during each match. It is really important to be able to have seperate controls for this.

I just want to add my weight behind this, as a user who like to get through matches pretty quick but to see the main highlights in a bit of detail this move has ruined the whole matchday experiece, the excuse that new users inparticular found it confusing is a ridiculous. I was a new user once and it didn't confuse me one bit, even if this was true your basically saying new users are more important than your loyal ones which infuriates me even more! please at least give me the option!

I noticed this and I thought it was ridiculous, it's a right pain because when your highlights come on you have to quickly change the match speed.

And as for people not knowing what the difference between "match speed" and "highlight speed", it looks pretty obvious me to what they mean.

Completley agree. Seems very obvious. I for one will definatley miss this feature.

This change makes no sence at all. All the main reasons why it was wrong have been listed several times so i won't bother to go through all that again, but i have to say that if people don't understand the differences between "match speed" and "highlight speed" they're obviously mentally challenged and shouldn't be playing FM in the first place.

yep, in my opinion the 'usability' has dropped considerably.

to suggest these 2 sliders are the confusing ones, compared to the myriad of sliders in the tactics and training screens, is frankly laughable.

the fact that the match plays at the same speed as the highlights is annoying, and was much better before to have slower highlights. there's not a person i know who played the matches on the same speed as the highlights, and oddly enough no-one seemed confused as to what they did.

even more annoying are the goal replays, which are played at the same ridiculous speed and cut out the instant the ball crosss the line!

my final word on the subject; it has been said that this feature would improve usability for new user of the game. i'd like to know, on average, how many new users the FM games attract each year, compared to repeat buyers who have a shelf full of SI products already? Perhaps SI would be better off spending time keeping those loyal fans happy, rather than taking them for granted...?

You took it away a because some people are too stupid to understand the difference between the speed of highlights and the overall match speed?

That is some incredibly irrational thinking.

Key word highlighted.

I do not agree that this has been improved - you have taken away functionality that I used, without giving me a clear way to accomplish the same goal.

That's not improvement, in my mind.

This is the single most annoying change from FM2008 to FM2009; either matches are too slow and highlights are normal speed, or matches are as fast as they can/should be but highlights are unwatchable. There is an easy way to fix this and still have one slider:

Fix the highlight speed to normal speed (middle of the slider), and make the slider control match speed only.

If you insist on having only one slider, the above is the best way to satisfy both experienced players and new players.

If this bug* isn't fixed in the release day patch, I for one will be extremely disappointed.

*A bug is an unwanted feature, never has this definition fitted as well as it does here.

Well if this is the case then half the things on fm09 would go as i for the life of me can't understand what they do or why they're there. The two independent sliders made perfect sense one was for match speed and one was for guess what highlight speed! I mean how hard is that to work out??

Who exactly did find the supposedly mind boggling 2 sliders overly complicated anyway? come forward please as I have yet to see one person actually say that they prefer the new system because they thought the old one was confusing. Nor, for that matter do I remember anyone ever complaining on the forums about this or calling for the sliders to be combined when a host of other good suggestions never get taken up. It seems like a change for the sake of change to me and judging by it's mass unpopularity, should be returned to its previous state asap.

So SI have decided that "new users" are more important than "power users", you know, the ones who have bought the game for years, played it endlessy, given feedback to help development and most importantly, payed their wages!!! Its as clear as glass how to use the 2 sliders and is one of the things that makes the game enjoyable. Will SI please put there loyal "power users" first for once. Remember WE MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Who exactly did find the supposedly mind boggling 2 sliders overly complicated anyway? come forward please as I have yet to see one person actually say that they prefer the new system because they thought the old one was confusing. Nor, for that matter do I remember anyone ever complaining on the forums about this or calling for the sliders to be combined when a host of other good suggestions never get taken up. It seems like a change for the sake of change to me and judging by it's mass unpopularity, should be returned to its previous state asap.

You should check out the FML forum, i can completely understand how some of them found the two clearly marked, seperate sliders completely confusing :D

Just wanted to join in on the side of the "what's so complicated about 2 sliders anyway?" crew.

Just how dim do SI think their customers are?

I'd also be interested to know how many new users FM gets each year, and how many annual sales are merely established users buying their update.

How many of these new users do SI think will be happy with such a buggy product? Are they likely to be as patient as existing customers who are already familiar with the "wait 6 months for the fix" routine?

First off I'm not one to complain, indeed never have done before when it has come to FM. I also think that this version of FM is very promising and potentially a big step forward. However i really don't understand the thinking behind the removal of the highlight speed slider. By which I mean I understand what SI are saying I just dont see that this was in anyway achieving the supposed goal. New users get one bar that changes the match speed , fair enough simple, straight forward. But and this is a big but it is at the expense of functionality. being able to set different match and highlight speeds was fundemental to the way i play the game and it would appear i'm far from alone. I want to be able to get through games at a reasonable speed but without that meaning that when my over paid new signing finally scores a goal i have to watch it at 100 miles an hour!!

I am struggling with the intuative argument as a slider titled "Match speed" seems to me to be straight forward and i struggle to see how it is less intuative when there is also one titled "highlight speed". they both do to quote "what it says on the tin" Is having one slider easier , well maybe but if you were to take my dvd remote and remove the fast forward buton and just leave the skip chapter button you would make the interface of my dvd simpler but at an unexceptable cost in functionality.

Please can we have this option returned. Of all the many things that can potentially baffle, new or experienced users this has to be the most bizzare one to "simplify"

I will of course still buy the game but I am a little dissapointed in the thought process behind the removal of this feature. One of the keys to SI's success is functionality over form. Here we seem to be have reversed that .

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. If someone can't work out which slider is for what then they must be incredibly stupid.

I bet there will be a high percentage of people who are upset with the removal of this.

It either takes too long to complete a match now or it looks ridiculous as the players move about at rapid speed which is pointless to look at.

SI, maybe you need to keep what people are used to and LIKE instead of making it 'easier' for new users and p*ssing off veterans by removings that are fine just the way they are!!

Poll is turned in our favour though is it not? :)

To be able to vote you have to know what the poll is about, and if you know that you're only going to vote yes. There is no advantage to saying nope. Perhaps if there was another option of 'rather they spent the time on something else'

Then again, if 12 billion (give or take seven) vote YES! SI might get around to fixing this oversight. Vote yes dammit, time is running out!

Archived