FM16: Aston Villa F.C. - Rear garde action and scoring goals. Nothing major then...

How in earth do you finish 3rd and have the 3rd best defence with this squad? I finished 9th in my beta save and i conceded like 60 goals in the end i think.

I finished 4th, and the answer realistically is that I simply shut up shop. Counter with flexible. Get stuck in, and run with ball. The only two Tis then a 1 or 2 attacking mentalities. Sit deep, 2 banks of a four. It's the most effective defending tactic I've found. Also Guzan had a blinder of a year.

I alternated with a 4141 that was essentially 2X FB (d), 2x CB (d) DM (d) Dlp (s), B2B (s), 2 x WM (1 S 1 A).

It wasn't pretty, we barely scored (especially if Ayew was injured) but we were good enough to nick points off of people. Second season I've done OK in Europe but languishing in 14th in the league (early doors) because the goals have dried up. The limitations of my approach are being made very apparent.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im using 433 variation of it , same principal though, strong bank of 4 with an anchor man ahead of them and 2 hard working mids ahead of him, 2 wingers at the aml and amr position and a DLF.. simple, defensively sound and the attacking is great.. pair it with two pacey wingers (something villa have in spades in theory) and it's killer.

Im using 433 variation of it , same principal though, strong bank of 4 with an anchor man ahead of them and 2 hard working mids ahead of him, 2 wingers at the aml and amr position and a DLF.. simple, defensively sound and the attacking is great.. pair it with two pacey wingers (something villa have in spades in theory) and it's killer.

Do you have your wingers on Attack welshface I wondered if they'd be caught out of position too often to defend effectively?

I was 3rd in december playing a narrow 433 with 3 team instructions keeping it simple but it the wheels fell off and i ended up 9th. But i still thought that was a good finish for that squad.

Spent season 1 getting constantly turned over. Not sure why. I even cheated once and made all the players morale Superb. Finding this years game really tough.

Anyway no more cheats. I survived on the last day of the season, on goal difference. Here are my transfers for the first season.

2015/2016

IN

Charlie Austin - 10m

Andrija Zivkovic - 2m

Thiago Maia - 8m

Gino Peruzzi - 3m

Cristian Pavon 3.4m

Juan Cazares - 1m (Cant get permit)

Emerson - 4.5m (No permit)

Balanta - 3m

Bolstered by Kouyate, Andreas Pereira, Cahill and Lacina Traore on loan in January.

OUTS

Ayew, Gestede, N'Zog, Sanchez, Senderos, Kozak, Bacuna, Clark, Gabby, Hutton and a few others

So this first season was a write off, complete dross, numerous tactics failed me. Totally inept.

-------------------------------

Going into the new season I will be having a reshuffle of the squad and a tactical reform.

2016/2017

IN

Schmeichel - 3m

Gabriel Jesus - 3m

Malcom - 13m

Mandi - 7m

Reinartz - 3m

Tielemans - 13m

Vida - 6m

Arango - 20k

OUTS

Richards, Lescott, Sinclair, Gil, Veretout, Westwood + More

I am quite happy with the squad, unsure about the defence but it should see me over for the time being. I have a good midfield and forward set up with plenty of potential. I will be bolstering the squad with loans when they become available

--------------------------

The Tactics

Ive tried sitting deep, pressing high, playing direct, controlling the game. Nothing has worked yet for me. I am setting myself some philosophy related targets going forward, in order of importance.

1. Devastating Goals - I have a relatively quick squad who offer fairly decent movement off the ball. My AM strata consists of very good dribblers.

2. Solid Defence - Peruzzi, Balanta & Okore all blow hot & cold, Amauri is more consistent but not setting the world alight.

3. Possession Football - A long term target. The midfield are not yet mentally or technically strong enough to play this way, nor are the full backs.

My main go-to tactic will be a 4-3-2-1. Both wide men play best as inside forwards & I want to compliment them as much as possible, switching between target men & false nine up front depending on situation.

The midfield trio consist of a BMW, B2B and an advanced playmaker who can take advantage of the space in front.

The defence is a basic line up with Amauri as a WB role to offer more support going forward.

I have gone for a standard mentality with higher tempo, more closing down, exploit the flanks, hit early crosses & more expressive.

My second tactic will be about retaining possession. This will be mainly for seeing out results, I don't plan for this to be very effective offensively, yet. If we have the ball they cannot score.

In this set-up the BWM is dropped back to DM to produce a 4-1-2-2-1. Both IF are set to support and told not to give possession away whilst both fullbacks are now WB/S as to make themselves an option as much as possible.

TI include - Low Tempo, slightly higher, more closing, fairly wide, play out defence, exploit flanks, short passing, dribble less, work ball into box

Finally, the counter attack. Again a 4-3-2-1 but with a DLP rather than an AP. This relies on us being tight at the back and as quick as we can on the counter. I expect to use this against the Arsenals but hopefully not to often otherwise.

About to try to everything possible to increase my changes of success this year. Setting up friendly's as we speak.

Posted this in another thread, but was advised to post it here now. My Aston Villa experience so far (not a Villa fan, FYI).

Club: Aston Villa

Completed seasons: 2

Formation: 4-3-3 (1 DM, 2 CMs)

Mentality: Standard

Team shape: Structured

Defensive line: Normal

Width: Normal

Closing down: Sometimes

Tempo: Normal

Team Instructions

- Exploit right flank

- Clear ball to flanks

- Get stuck in

- Look for overlap

- More direct passing

- Low crosses

Current First XI:

GK - Timo Horn (Goalkeeper - defend)

DL - Jordan Amavi (Wing Back - attack)

DR - Martin Kelly (Full back - attack)

DC - Neven Subotic (Central defender - defend)

DC - Angelo Ogbonna (Central defender - defend)

DM - Idrissa Gueye (Anchor - defend)

MC - Tim Sparv (Central Midfielder - defend)

MC - Koo Ja-Cheol (Advanced Playmaker - support)

LW - Jack Grealish (Inside Forward - attack)

RW - Adama Traore (Winger - support)

ST - Cristian Pavon (Poacher - attack)

League Performances (Pos/P/W/D/L/F/A/GD/Pts)

2015/16: 10th/38/13/07/18/39/54/-15/46

2016/17: 07th/38/15/11/12/45/38/+7/58

2017/18: 2nd/07/05/01/01/18/13/+5/16

I'm into my third season with Aston Villa now, and I have very much enjoyed using them as my first team for Football Manager 2016.

First of all, transfers are a right challenge to get right. I tried picking up as many low-wage free agents as I could, to supplement the mass-exodus of slightly better players for transfer fees, so I could try and buy some good players. I hadn't properly set up my scouting system during my first window (shocking, I know), so my player search range wasn't great. Plus I had a lot of dead-weight on high wages that were near impossible to get rid of, even on frees.

One of the players I sold was Gabby Agbonalhor for £8m (cash up-front) to Monaco, and replaced him with a £3.5m Mauro Zarate. This did work out well for me, as Zarate scored 13 goals for me in my first season, where I did struggle for goals at times. I simply did this to raise funds. However, the fans were not happy and got a 1% confidence rating for the transfer. However, this was the biggest sale I could pull off...everybody else sold for £5m or less (I was accepting low offers, as I wanted to sell them as quick as I could to raise more funds).

Some of the free transfers I brought in were Ricky Alvarez, Yoann Gourcuff, Ezequiel Schelotto...I couldn't really recommend any of them and all ended up being bench players before being sold. However, Gourcuff was a strange one in that it did work out for me. I got him around October time, but he kept getting a lot of 2-4 weeks injuries for the whole of the first season. He managed about 10 starts for me in the end, and only had 2 good games, with pretty much all the others getting a maximum of a 6.5 rating. However, he was a financial success. He was only on £14k p/w, yet he fetched a princely £9m transfer the following summer. Perhaps some of you should sign him, simply to make a few easy £m.

A player who I did spend money on was Koo Ja-Cheol. I brought him in from Leverkusen for £17m. He's a two-footed playemaker, and has performed very consistently for me, often completing over 80 passes a game for me. He is normally the one that releases Traore or Amavi down the flanks, which are my two most dangerous weapons using this tactic.

Adama Traore is the main man in this team, especially as my tactics are focused on exploiting his pace down the right as often as possible. His raw pace and great dribbling, means he is a constant threat down the right, always giving my team an option, an outlet ball if needed, and somehow gets so many chances...even though he misses loads, he gets so many he scores a few too. Here are his league stats below: (Apps/G/A/PoM/Avg)

2015/16: 29/11/5/5/7.08

2016/17: 32/5/12/4/7.41

2017/18: 7/4/5/3/8.11

Jordan Amavi is another one who is very important to the team. As our attacks are focused down the right, and my LW often cuts inside, Amavi just has so much space for me, and he is good at exploiting it. Sometimes he's running into the box to meet a Traore cut-back. Or sometimes he's smashing the ball accros the goal for Traore/Pavon to stick home. He's so good for me. His stats below:

2015/16: 34/3/4/1/6.99

2016/17: 36/8/7/6/7.37

2017/18: 7/2/6/1/7.88

So there you go, that's my Aston Villa experience so far. Just thought I'd share for anyone who's interested in trying out Villa, or simply trying out a similar team and see if any of the things I did interest you. Alternatively, do you have any tips for me? Any criticisms of the tactics or players I've used? Any tips on who'd be good for my team? Let me know!

I got Mario Gotze on a freebie in my third/fourth season! I couldn't believe my luck!

Looking at him at the start of the second. They only want 14m for him and his contracts running down! Hopefully half a good first half of the season and he might be interested in a switch lol!

Well....I was traveling quite nicely in season 3 until I weakened and took the cash for Traore, he has been scoring and assisting like crazy on the right wing and I've been floating between 6th and 7th in the league, then Chelsea came along and the 38 million was too good to resist.

Now I'm 5 games into 2 draws/3 losses on the trot, confidence is now shot, luck has abandoned me , Benteke can't hit the side of barn let alone the back of the net and my wingers can no longer cross.

What makes it even worse is I put aside my personal war of words with Mourinho to take to cash. I feel dirty all over.........

• 1 month later...

It's a great club to start a save with, the board expectations are low (just avoid relegation) and they are pretty easy going.

If you can battle through the first season, turn over a few players, buy some transfer listed unhappy bargains and just gradually keep building up the squad, the cash rolls in pretty easily and your transfer budget really starts to build.

Pre season done and it was horrible, messing about with tactics and what not. First game of the season against Stoke, a measly 1-1 stokes direct play dominated us. Second game against Leicester. 1 0 up since 8th minute until 8th when Vardy knocked in a header from a cross. We dominated in every aspect of this game which I was please of.

Manchester City next at Manchester, this is a match I have no idea how ill be playing. I don't like to invite pressure on to us and know that the attack will be useless against them so it's a mix match as I see it as of yet.

Ok guys, haven't had time to get a FM save going recently due to work commitments, but now I've got a free weekend, I've decided to give it a go with Villa.

Taking the hard route mind, with my experience set to amateur and still in my early 20's with the transfer window turned off, it could prove to be a long hard season.

My sole aim is to avoid relegation. I will give youngsters a chance as I don't think the older players are good enough, with a lot of deadwood floating around the squad which will need to be offloaded at the end of the season.

I'm not planning on playing particularly attractive football as I just don't think we have the quality there to do it, although I don't intend on being as joy-killing as Tony Pulis.

I think this one may really test me, wish me luck :thup:

Started a Villa save a bit back but never continued it, might start one to run alongside my current unemployment save where I got the Southport job, will probably release quite a few of the staff and bring in new ones plus I loaned out all bar about 3 of the U21's for full wages paid last time might do same again plus sell some of the lesser players and try to build a decent young team with them

Struggling to find a tactic that works with the Villa squad. Not made too many changes to the squad and struggling to offload players. Got through pre-season and didn't have any offers so transfer listed players and they got annoyed and kicked up a fuss with the rest of the squad. I have tried 4-3-3 with DM, 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1 but none are really effective.

The first season was a real battle for me as well but basically I started with (and have now been playing the majority) 4-1-4-1. I simplified things (minimal or no instructions), mostly stuck to a defensive mentality and just concentrated on player role tweaking to fill the gaps and stop conceding goals. My aim was for draws with the hope of jagging the odd win.

*EDIT* Oh and bit of an update on my save.

I've just finished my forth Season and it was pretty tough and probably my worst since my battle in the first season.

Vietto, Musa, Lemur and Gnabry all had great seasons up front tho all scoring and assisting. Vietto was leading goal scorer in the PL but I've struggled with a few key injuries and consistency at the back and ended up conceding way to many easy goals and lost matches I probably should have won.

Wilshere was brilliant for me in midfield in last season but suffered a major injury this season and I struggled a bit to fill his spot, I found myself way down the PL table, knocked out really early of the cups by lesser teams but somehow battled through to the semis of the Euro Cup only losing on away goals to ManU after being strong in both legs.

Grealish had a pretty poor season, he just could not consistently perform so he's fallen a little out of favor with me at the moment, ManU are very interested but I think I'll keep him for now. Vietto, Lemur and Gnabry who I picked up when all were out of favor have all sky rocketed in value and now other clubs are obviously sniffing around, I'm hoping I can keep all three.

Ajer was also performing well for me at DM until his injury.

The extra fixtures from Europe ultimately proved to be too much this season, my players seemed to be up for those but the extra games and the injuries killed my domestic performances.

But I ended up finishing the league in 8th with a late season surge and some good form on the back of fewer fixtures, Biteco really stepped up (and is now preferred) for Wilshere in the middle, no Europe next year tho so I guess I'll be able to really go hard in the domestic comps, my transfer budget is $62M so I'll be looking to regig and strengthen at the back.

Started a Villa save last night (Long life suffering fan here as well). Not too bad a start if I do say so myself ;-)

Screenshot%202016-02-19%2014.19.20_zpsjmj1j7ck.png

Transfers In/Out

Screenshot%202016-02-19%2014.20.54_zpsvytj0prh.png

Starting XI and Tactics

Screenshot%202016-02-19%2014.20.47_zpsytsgbnto.png

Really really pleased with how things are going! I honestly thought it would be a huge struggle 1st season. Shifting Gabby, N'Zogia, Senderos, Kozak and Richardson enabled me to bring in some decent young players who were ready for the 1st team. Although to be fair, its the players already there that are shining! Richards, Ayew, Guzan has been performing wonders for me. Backed up by the rest as well.

Fingers crossed we can keep the good run going.

Absolutely gutted........... I just had Vietto go down with his second broken leg in two and a half years. He was leading goal scorer in the league last season, on track to do it again this year and in great form.

He had just told me he was going to do everything he could to get us back into European competition and we had just moved into the top 6 after a shaky start to the season.

Next match carving Derby apart, a heavy challenge and down he goes, I knew it was bad by they way he lay there...........out for 6 to 7 months.

This is a cruel game.

I'm in October approaching November in the 1st season and been taken over by a Russian Tycoon! Managed to survive the take over! He's cleared most of the debt and the club is now worth 300 odd million, taken £85 million one out for something - With ridiculous projected finances over the next few seasons, expanding the ground to 48,000 capacity. I think this is gonna be a long save finally!!!

Not had a takeover like this since '09 how often does this kind of thing happen?

I'm in October approaching November in the 1st season and been taken over by a Russian Tycoon! Managed to survive the take over! He's cleared most of the debt and the club is now worth 300 odd million, taken £85 million one out for something - With ridiculous projected finances over the next few seasons, expanding the ground to 48,000 capacity. I think this is gonna be a long save finally!!!

Not had a takeover like this since '09 how often does this kind of thing happen?

Nice..... I've not had a takeover in this years game but cash has been steadily building since overcoming the tough first season, I'm now 4 and half seasons in and my wage budget is 1.9m and my Transfer Budget for this season started at 62M then jumped to 89M when I sold Tete and Arsenal bought back Gnabry (who hasn't played a game for them and is now transfer listed again).

Sadly my injury crisis has worsened and I've now lost my two senior keepers (Butland and Fraser) for a couple of months and my backup striker for a few weeks and I'm moving on my whiny third best striker. With Vietto gone for basically the season and my youngsters not quite ready it looks like i'll be needing to bring in a quality striker come January.

• 2 weeks later...

I support Villa so can only play as Villa Manager _ have tried others But no good, not interested.

Have just finished first season as Villa manager 7th in League (into Euro cup next season) and lost in FA Cup Final 3-2 to Chelsea having been 2-0 up and conceding a 90th minue penalty for Chelsea to equalise - lost in extra time.

Only purchases were Calum Wison, Michael Keane, Lasse Vigen Christensen and Jake Bidwell who all performed very well. Callum Wilson got me 15 goals with 2 assists. Had no Real backup striker, so played Scot Sinclair when necessary and he did well.

Sold some high earners but kept agbonlahor (mistake - most of season injured) .

Stars of my season was Idrissa Gueye (Av 7.64 5 goals but too many Yellow cards) and Scott Sinclair (Av 7.33 19 Goals 5 assts 8 Man of Match)

Joleon Lescott was dreadful - must sell him, if I can

Tried to fit Crespo in but he failed also - must sell him.

Have already bought Sam Johnstone (GK) from Man Utsd.

Tactics were variations on 433 with always at least 1 DM.

Now comes the bit I struggle with. What to do for next season. Who to buy and who to sell if I get bids. How do I keep my better players?

Just about to offer new contracts to Grealish, Traore

Decided to do a new save with my Villa with the new update.

First impressions are.. Well we are getting relegated this season for a reason. We have no money available and I doubt many will be intrested with the dross I have. My aim - to survive and try and rebuild along the way.

Has anyone started a new Villa save yet on the new patch?

If so what are the finances looking like? (ie. bank balance, transfer funds, wage cap left)

Thanks in advance.

Started a new unemployed game last night on the new patch.

Waited a season and Villa got relegated, sacked Remi. So I applied and beat 2 others to the job.

New season - about £12m transfer budget and a negative wage bill.

Now what to do.????

Richards, Gueye, want leave, I cannot pursued them to stay so they have been transfer listed.

Unloading some high earners for whatever I can get for them.

Had a bit of staff turnover.

Now got to concentrate on the squad.

Any suggestions will be investigated.

Has anyone started a new Villa save yet on the new patch?

If so what are the finances looking like? (ie. bank balance, transfer funds, wage cap left)

Thanks in advance.

£0 Transfer budget but about 60k a week wages left. Also easy to sell very average players for biggish money if you want to overhaul squad, and board accept request to make higher % of revenue available.

I sold Hutton, Gabby, Sanchez, N'Zogbia, Clark, Cissokho, Bacuna, Richardson, Kozak for a combined 29.5m and about 300k wages a week (plus few U21 loans out). Then went hard for good young players (British where possible) on instalment deals. Paid for Timo Horn's release clause (6.5m) , got Calum Chambers for about 15m in mostly instalments (less than 6m from budget. Brendan Galloway joined on a long term deal too (again around 6m of current season budget). I signed Tom Caroll on loan too. Eder Balanta, Gino Peruzzi & Marcelo Meli (combined 10.5m and low wages) joined from Argentina too. Then on deadline day I struck gold, with a last minute loan signing of experienced rock John Obi Mikel. Fits perfectly as the DM of my 3 man midfield.

£0 Transfer budget but about 60k a week wages left. Also easy to sell very average players for biggish money if you want to overhaul squad, and board accept request to make higher % of revenue available.

I sold Hutton, Gabby, Sanchez, N'Zogbia, Clark, Cissokho, Bacuna, Richardson, Kozak for a combined 29.5m and about 300k wages a week (plus few U21 loans out). Then went hard for good young players (British where possible) on instalment deals. Paid for Timo Horn's release clause (6.5m) , got Calum Chambers for about 15m in mostly instalments (less than 6m from budget. Brendan Galloway joined on a long term deal too (again around 6m of current season budget). I signed Tom Caroll on loan too. Eder Balanta, Gino Peruzzi & Marcelo Meli (combined 10.5m and low wages) joined from Argentina too. Then on deadline day I struck gold, with a last minute loan signing of experienced rock John Obi Mikel. Fits perfectly as the DM of my 3 man midfield.

Thanks coady :thup:

Sounds promising.

Hey, just started a Villa save with the new patch, I'm struggling to shift the high earners, anyone have any tips minus the usual (offer to clubs) ?

Not really, I'm having the same problem. So far;

Sanchez - £5m

Gabby - £4.5m

Kozak - £1.5m

N'Zogbia - £1.5m

Richardson - £775k

Hutton - Loan (40% wages & £150k future fee)

Lescott - Loan (40% wages

Still trying to offload Bunn

Archived