Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Rooney has certainly declined but how much of that is down to LvG's tactics? I think a lot. It's happening to too many players now.

Eh? 1) A change in methods/tactics does not even slightly account for Rooney's first touch and pace totally deserting him.

2) which players? Van Gaal actually has a really good record of improving players so far. McNair, Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Shaw (pre injury) for example.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LVG has certainly steadied the ship - we are much more stable defensively. But that has come at the cost of very little risk going forward. Fullbacks rarely overlap, and central midfielders rarely make runs forward. It's almost entirely up to the front 3-4 players to create and score goals (set pieces aside), and against other defensive setups with the organised teams of professional football these days, that often doesn't cut it.

He has said it himself, "you create your own luck", but you don't do that by passing the ball around in central midfield with little risk.

Probably easier for us armchair "experts" though. We don't have the immensely quality at back from years gone by, so it's tougher to get by with throwing the kitchen sink at teams. But right now it feels like the balance is a bit too much on the cautious side, and I'd like to see fullbacks overlapping a bit more frequently. Though in fairness it should also be said that Shaw did this plenty, so his injury has cost us. Really hope he is back to 100% fitness by next season.

That's not true really.

I didn't say they never overlap, they do, but it certainly feels much less than in years gone by. Though it should be said (like I did above) that Shaw did this plenty, and clearly had freedom to storm forward.

One of the things I hope to see as this season moves forward is that we take more risk offensively, now when we are more stable defensively.

No problems with LVG what so ever. Arsenal apart we are really hard to beat.

A competent striker would improve our attacking play.

But we have been building a solid base. Defense is much better, midfield is 100% better than when SAF retired. Just a winger and striker away from challenging properly.

I think he's improved lots since last season and clearly feels more confident with the squad he has. The Arsenal result happens, even to SAF so it's a pass on that.

What he really needs to do is to give Martial a chance up front to build a bit of a bond with Mata, Herrera and whoever is on the left. It's not good for the team or Rooney at this point.

If he does that I think we'll do well this year, although if City shape up I can't see us being in the title race come May. If we are either Rooney has somehow turned back time or LvG is a genius.

I don't want to get rid of him. I think he deserves to get the top goal scorer record. But he has to realise he isn't first choice anymore. He can stick around and help the team anyway he is asked.

Silly to sell him to deny him, just as playing him only to allow him to get it is. If he starts playing well and scoring he deserves it if he gets it, nonsense to suggest otherwise. If we took away the goals Bobby Charlton and Denis Law scored towards the end of his career when they were treading water at United Rooney would already be top scorer.

There's no reason he can't contribute in the future, but he needs time off to take him out of the spotlight and figure out where his own game is right now.

If he gets the record, he deserves. Simple really. He has been here for 12 years and done well most of that time. Not as great any more, he has lost some pace/acceleration, but he is still a good player and can contribute. I see he starts today, so I hope not too many fans have slit their wrists :(

First 16 minutes. All over us. Quick tempo, runners behind. Few half chances. DDG save.

Next 14 minutes. All us. Slow passing. Looking for openings. Free kick chance. That's about it.

Christ, I do hope we manage more than 1 shot in 45 this time.

Chance

Crystal Palace 0-0 Man Utd

Posted at 32 mins

Good chance for Wayne Rooney. Anthony Martial threads a superb pass through to him, but he cannot quite catch it and Wayne Hennessey nips in. Poor control from Rooney in the end.

Is the researcher going to put him down as a 5 for first touch in the January update? ;)

Wish this was on the telly so I could watch it. :(

Rooney's movement has been good so far but that ball from Martial was perfect and he screwed it up. If Martial was on the end of his own ball its 1-0. We were lucky not to be down after the first 10 though.

I may be tactically thick, but it seems to be a recurring thing for certain managers to stick good talent out on the wings instead of the middle... I'm not sure I grasp why though...

Archived