Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFS. Not far wrong above. Scoring 1 of 4 penalties. Fecking **** :(

Very well played by Boro though. Okay, they should have had at least one penalty against them (which we'd probably miss anyway), so well played.

Some set on that woman in the studio btw. No chance of drowning there.

Absolute shambles of a shootout from us. Knew we'd lose before the first one was taken. Four shootouts lost in a row now. :mad:

Pereira with the best pen and he's the least experienced player but handled the pressure brilliantly.

Rooney was always going to miss, he goes to the left 9/10. Carrick had missed when walking up for the pen, could see he didn't fancy it in his eyes. Young copying Rooney. FFS. :thdn:

Good chance of a trophy with Chelsea and Arsenal going out last night but the longer the game went on you knew we were going out some way or other. No excuses for that result and those pens.

Entirely too soon on the Depay talk. He's come into a team that completely relies on him to do something where as Nani came into a team where people only noticed him when he did something good because we were all too busy fawning (rightly) over Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney. I actually thought for a while in the second half he was getting into the game more, we actually got less threatening when Martial came on and was stuck out wide.

Was going to watch the game in full today, but managed to spoiler it during ET last night, so have just watched the highlights. Looks like we were fairly poor and didn't create anything until the second half. Lingard loves hitting the woodwork whilst we are drawing :(

We went with the exact team I posted I'd like to see, but it was obviously not good enough to win at home to Middlesbrough, sadly. Not that fussed as I've said for years I don't care much for the LC and it is certainly the lowest priority of the 4 competitions, and that's why I like to see the youngsters get a game along with the fringe players, but of course it would have been nice to get the win. Still, no new injuries which is the important thing for me coming out of a LC game, heading in to what will be a very tricky trip to Palace.

1 in 12 then if we take out Brugge. Not quite the feat of his record in Holland.

why would we take out his european goals? :D i'm not saying he's been great, but he has scored and created despite being criticised for doing nothing. he's 21 and still adapting to everything. chill out.

1 in 12 then if we take out Brugge. Not quite the feat of his record in Holland.

If we take out goals scored in the 45th minute and goals v Brugge he has 0 in 11. What a stupid argument to make, just discounting goals when you fancy it. He hasn't been great, but he is a young player who needs to learn, give the lad time.

Not really a problem if we play him in his position and he scores goals.

Play him out wide with Rooney around is the problem.

I totally agree. Rooney either needs to be dropped (preferable) or pushed back to number 10.

I think Rooney is trickier than just drop him.

He is the captain, the highest earner, well liked in the dressing room and I think that a lot of players look up to him on the pitch even though he is producing. Same to Gerrard at the end for Liverpool.

I'd rather him dropped than at #10. Changing frop #9 to #10 isn't going to change his awful first touch and ability to slow everything down on the odd occasion he actually does reel the ball in. He simply does not deserve to start any more. It makes no sense to keep playing him when he has been poor for 2 years. Playing someone back in to form after 3/4/5 bad games makes sense, doing so after 2 years of poorness does not. Our best 11 right now does not include Rooney.

I would genuinely be happy to see him go in the summer, though with his wages and for other reasons I see the chances of that happening to be at 1% at the very best.

I've said before though, he'll no doubt be hankering for a new 350k p/w deal soon enough and somehow justifying it to himself despite being an absolute shadow of his former self for a long time.

It's simple. LVG needs to go.

Rooney has been poor but why is 100% of the hate at him?

I'll give LvG 18 months. If things haven't improved by xmas then I will have to agree with you. Rooney has certainly declined but how much of that is down to LvG's tactics? I think a lot. It's happening to too many players now.

LVG has certainly steadied the ship - we are much more stable defensively. But that has come at the cost of very little risk going forward. Fullbacks rarely overlap, and central midfielders rarely make runs forward. It's almost entirely up to the front 3-4 players to create and score goals (set pieces aside), and against other defensive setups with the organised teams of professional football these days, that often doesn't cut it.

He has said it himself, "you create your own luck", but you don't do that by passing the ball around in central midfield with little risk.

Probably easier for us armchair "experts" though. We don't have the immensely quality at back from years gone by, so it's tougher to get by with throwing the kitchen sink at teams. But right now it feels like the balance is a bit too much on the cautious side, and I'd like to see fullbacks overlapping a bit more frequently. Though in fairness it should also be said that Shaw did this plenty, so his injury has cost us. Really hope he is back to 100% fitness by next season.

He has said it himself, "you create your own luck", but you don't do that by passing the ball around in central midfield with little risk.

Yes, he says that but every single match he does the exact opposite. He just wants to keep the ball in the hope that the opposition team gets so bored and loses concentration and we get a chance to score. This is the most boring football I have ever watched from any top team in the history of football. I'd rather watch us just park the bus every match rather than this garbage possession game.

Archived