Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only sacked Moyes once Champions League qualification was mathematically impossible, because a clause in his contract then limited his compensation. If LVG has a similar clause, I can sadly see us hanging on to him. Then again, as he only had a 3 year contract rather than Moyes' 5 year one, it might not cost that much to sack him now.

People are being blinded by their hatred of Moyes if they cannot see LvG has been worse.

True, moyes certainly would have qualified top from the easy CL group we had and would not get played off the park by a very poor Norwich team at home.

True LVG finished top 4 after spending close to a quarter of a billion. But the united points tally of the moyes season would have been enough for top 4 last season.

Hopefully LVG is gone before the next game. Put Giggs in charge for the next 3 matches and then Jose takes over before the FA cup match.

Of course Mata will be gone in Jan, but as long as a winger and striker are brought in I'll be happy.

We only sacked Moyes once Champions League qualification was mathematically impossible, because a clause in his contract then limited his compensation. If LVG has a similar clause, I can sadly see us hanging on to him. Then again, as he only had a 3 year contract rather than Moyes' 5 year one, it might not cost that much to sack him now.

Not a chance you won't have learned your lesson from that, surely? I'd be surprised if there aren't a few clauses to reduce what's owed that don't involve waiting until 4th is impossible.

I'm willing to be proven wrong that LvG has done better than Moyes. If anyone wants to provide me any kind of evidence then I'm open to it. At best they've been equally awful.

Let's not forget the points total Moyes achieved would've been good enough for fourth last year. LvG scraped in last season & the season was only seen as a positive because of this & the results against City & Arsenal. He's received the support if the board & players however we are no better off.

There is no doubt in my mind that had Moyes had this squad we have now, he would be doing a better job than LvG.

As is stands, Van Gaal is failing, 4th was acceptable, just about last season considering he mess of a season before and the squad overhaul but the stats don't lie, our winless run under him is twice as long as under Moyes, nothing in the CPG column really, lower win %, less goals, we should be doing much better than we are overall considering the money that has been spent. It's just not acceptable to be knocked out of LC at home to Middlesborough (they're a good side but we should have progressed) and then to not get out of that CL group was a shambles. His substitutions are strange to say the least most of the time, we play awful, slow and boring football, we don't need to be playing this way, our defence isn't as bad as he seems to think it is, which is why I think he insists on us playing the way we do.

His squad management is not great either, letting so many players go and leaving us so short in numbers in the most intense league in the world is another negative against him imo. Sure, some of the players he allowed to leave was the correct decision, players like Nani and Evans. But we should have kept, RvP for the final year of his deal, Wilson's management has been poor. If he wasn't going to feature much then he should have been sent out on loan in August not November.

He's halfway through his contract and belief in him is dropping, and dropping fast. I can't see him surviving yesterday's result. Certainly not now Mourinho is available and everyone knows the United job is the one he covets most. I reckon he would tone down his ways with the players and the media too if he were to get the job at United. He hasn't looked happy at Chelsea in his second spell (most likely because he was pee'd off as not getting the job at United)

If Mourinho was to take over here, he would need to adapt to the way the club does things though, youth players coming through is a big factor for the club and not something Jose is particularly big on.

Jose lost the players at Chelsea with the way he spoke of them but he is still a top manager and he would most definitely do a much better job at United than LvG has so far.

I'm willing to be proven wrong that LvG has done better than Moyes. If anyone wants to provide me any kind of evidence then I'm open to it. At best they've been equally awful.

Let's not forget the points total Moyes achieved would've been good enough for fourth last year. LvG scraped in last season & the season was only seen as a positive because of this & the results against City & Arsenal. He's received the support if the board & players however we are no better off.

Moyes had 28 points after 17 games. LvG has 29 after 17 games and after spending a further £250m. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say we have a problem. :D
CWqebEQUwAA-2k7.jpg:large

Moyes had a better win percentage, but a higher loss percentage also. He only bought Fellaini in though, LVG has spent over £200m.

History will be kinder to Moyes when we are on our 5th manager post Fergie and his record is still comparable.

Yeah Moyes took the Champions and made them look a complete shambles. Lets not try and rewrite history or the present.

LVG was the right choice at the time to steady the ship, he's just taken us as far as he can. Its just a shame it only lasted 18 months rather than his 3 year contract.

To suggest he is worse than Moyes when he was way out his depth from the start is ludicrous.

Yeah, I'm not buying this notion that with the dissenting voices out of the dressing room, Mata with his feet under the table, support from the board and £150m worth of new players Moyes would fail to get pretty much the same results in a weaker league. Granted part of that would be because you'd lose all the upheaval and instability that van Gaal brought, but then that's a good reason to hold fire until there's a clear replacement who will improve you significantly in line; rather than sacking someone for the catharsis of sacking someone and then settling for your third option.

Again, where has this theory that Moyes played attacking football? We were out played by almost everyone, and we were battered in every big game.

Well, we scored 8 goals in the two games prior to the Everton game that did for him. Have to go back to 17th of October to tot up eight league goals for us this season. And we scored more goals against the strongest team in our CL group then than we scored in the whole group this year.

Yeah Moyes took the Champions and made them look a complete shambles. Lets not try and rewrite history or the present.

LVG was the right choice at the time to steady the ship, he's just taken us as far as he can. Its just a shame it only lasted 18 months rather than his 3 year contract.

To suggest he is worse than Moyes when he was way out his depth from the start is ludicrous.

How far has he taken us? He's matching Moyes. All this despite spending £250m.

He's steadied nothing, he's taken us nowhere but I imagine in your world that's all somehow the fault of Moyes too.

Watching Watford v. Liverpool and that second goal by Ighalo was a great example of what we don't do in our offense. Liverpool have ball, Watford press, scramble, turnover and Watford midfielder gets ball. In our case, he would pass it to the nearest, safest spot to get control thereby allowing Liverpool to back up and reset their defense. But, of course, we would have possession! In this case, he immediately puts a ball up and over to an already running Ighalo who muscles his way past Skrtel and scores a strikers goal.

There is simply no reason why we shouldn't be playing this way in the Prem. We have the players to do things like that. Martial? Memphis? Rooney? Valencia (kidding). We don't have to play every one of those balls, but we play none of them and we have been robbed of all creativity and improvisation. We need to get it back.

I'm not sure the comparison matters. At all. What matters is that LVG has seemingly lost the dressing room and has removed the spark from the side. Either he has to change or a change needs to be made. Can't imagine at this point in his career that it will be the former. So...

Its not comparable though is it? Moyes had the champions, LVG had the other ones mess.

And we can look over loads of stats that are favourable to Moyes, but I remember his time here all too well and would rather give LVG until the end of his contract than I would've gave Moyes even one more game.

And having said that I still want LVG replaced, even with Giggs, but Moyes was another beast all together.

Again, where has this theory that Moyes played attacking football? We were out played by almost everyone, and we were battered in every big game.

Well I was only comparing him to LvG. Compared to LvG, San Marino play attacking football. :)

That Moyes was way out of his depth from the start (no doubt that he was) and still did a comparable job to the great van Gaal is more of an indictment of the abilities of the latter than the former.

Exactly, nobody is defending Moyes. Just pointing out we are in exactly the same position under a new manager despite massive cash outlay.

You still get people saying 'at least it's not Moyes' but it might as well be.

Its not comparable though is it? Moyes had the champions, LVG had the other ones mess.

You're aware that 21 of the 25 players that contributed to the 12/13 league campaign were still here when van Gaal started (plus Shaw and Herrera)?

Moyes had to follow SAF with a dressing room full of dissenters. Also LVG had 21 of the 25 title winners.

Moyes played more attacking football than LVG and with more baggage to deal with. A few more managers down the road of which we struggle for fourth and crash in Europe and Moyes reign will look a lot better.

Mourinho took champions down to 16th and he could be our next gaffer :)

:lol:

I'm out :p

Great, well reasoned reply. I can see your point.

Moyes was on a hiding from the start. Players didn't want him there, neither did half the fans. Woodward botched the transfers of Shaw & Herrera whilst not backing him financially after that.

LvG came in, low expectations (for United anyway), financial backing & was allowed to dismantle the squad as he pleased. Be did the bare minimum after we were in a position (albeit unlikely) to win the league by scraping fourth. He then spent even more money this season & we are actually worse off than under Moyes in regard to squad depth & experience.

So yes, LvG had a better starting position.

Your hatred of Moyes is ridiculous.

Moyes' stint looked bad because he had high expectations and failed miserably. The thing with Van Gaal is that with all the low expectations, he's still failing to meet them and those who say he's met the expectations are too optimistic.

Van Gaal needs to go because of his bad squad management. We've been needing a centreback for 2 seasons and he's signed a player for every single position on the field EXCEPT a centrerback (I'd class Blind as a midfielder and Rojo more as a leftback). With all the money he's spent and all the players he's let go, I wouldn't trust him with any more money to spend. Let him go and let the applicants gather in.

Archived