Semi-Finals Match 2: The Netherlands vs Argentina - Wed July9th, 9pm BST

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two lots of 4-5-1 trying to outcrab each other.
Netherlands playing more of a 541 or 361, depending on whether they have it or not. But yes, it's very tentative atm.

A simple 3-5-2. Kuijt and Blind are holding the sidelines. De Jong with Wijnaldum and Sneijder in front of him. Robben and Van Persie up front, with Robben roaming.

A simple 3-5-2. Kuijt and Blind are holding the sidelines. De Jong with Wijnaldum and Sneijder in front of him. Robben and Van Persie up front, with Robben roaming.

I don't think Robben is playing up front, he's too deep and too wide to be viewed as a striker.

For letting him back on. People just fall over of their own accord with nothing at all wrong all the time iirc.
Their job is to make sure the health of the player is not in danger. Why would they let him back on? They wouldn't be doing their job.

Why would they be unprofessional medics?

Risking a players health and well being is very unprofessional. Their jobs as medical professionals should be to look after the sports person first and foremost, regardless of whether the player feels he can play or not.

A medic in a boxing match, for example, wouldn't let a fight continue if there was a concussion. Neither would the referee. Because both know they have to look out for the boxer before anything else.

• Administrators
Their job is to make sure the health of the player is not in danger. Why would they let him back on? They wouldn't be doing their job.

There's no way they'd have been able to run a standard concussion test (of any quality anyway) in the time it took to get him seen to and back on, therefore they're not doing their job properly, but then nobody is because head injuries are still treated terribly amateurishly in football.

Risking a players health and well being is very unprofessional. Their jobs as medical professionals should be to look after the sports person first and foremost, regardless of whether the player feels he can play or not.

A medic in a boxing match, for example, wouldn't let a fight continue if there was a concussion. Neither would the referee. Because both know they have to look out for the boxer before anything else.

This isn't boxing.

This isn't boxing.

And what relevance is that? I was just using it as an example of what a medical professional should do in the event of head injuries. Mascherano still suffered a heavy knock to the head and a mild brain injury is very common in such events. He should be tested for concussion before being allowed back on the pitch.

There's no way they'd have been able to run a standard concussion test (of any quality anyway) in the time it took to get him seen to and back on, therefore they're not doing their job properly, but then nobody is because head injuries are still treated terribly amateurishly in football.
And yet Boxing referees have a standing ten count (plus a few seconds here and there) to judge someone who's been knocked down and then begins to stand up and then lets it continue?

And yet Boxing referees have a standing ten count (plus a few seconds here and there) to judge someone who's been knocked down and then begins to stand up and then lets it continue?

This isn't boxing. :brock:

That's a measure of a man's energy levels, fitness, determination and will. Not a test of their brain's status. When a man is down, the referee can tell almost immediately under what circumstances it is through.

• Administrators
He should be tested for concussion before being allowed back on the pitch.

And to elaborate on that, nothing short of this standard (obviously tailored to the specific sport) should suffice as a concussion test.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2014/02/20/0ap2000000327062.pdf

Theoretically takes a coupla minutes at most and dramatically reduces the risk of problems developing. Mascherano might feel alright now but could develop symptoms hours, days, months, weeks or years later if it turns out he was allowed to carry on with a brain injury.

The difference in defensive organization between both sides playing today and yesterday's Brazil is staggering.

I've been unable to watch most of the first half properly, but from what I saw it appeared highly interesting despite the total lack of major goalscoring opportunities - if that makes any sense. Two good sides playing at the top of their game and trying to outwit each other. Find it much more interesting than say, most of Holland-Costa Rica the other day, or even the hugely disappointing lunchtime matches of France-Germany and Argentina-Belgium. This one's defensive but evenly matched and intense.

The Netherlands have been like this in every world cup game so far, giving nothing away, doing nothing themselves. Argentina looking slightly better than them, but the Netherlands have always turned it on closer to the end... Wonder whether they can do the same now.

This isn't boxing. :brock:

That's a measure of a man's energy levels, fitness, determination and will. Not a test of their brain's status. When a man is down, the referee can tell almost immediately under what circumstances it is through.

Godamn using my own reverse examples :D I always want the health of the player as paramount to the forefront of the game of course...I just would rather the professionals could be able to judge it and let them continue if necessary...even if that means an 'informal' sub so the player can be 'tested out' if you get what I mean. I'd hate it if a player who maybe could continue wasn't allowed, maybe because the other team just tried to take them out (a long shot of it happening of course).

Hope that makes it clear :D

Godamn using my own reverse examples :D I always want the health of the player as paramount to the forefront of the game of course...I just would rather the professionals could be able to judge it and let them continue if necessary...even if that means an 'informal' sub so the player can be 'tested out' if you get what I mean. I'd hate it if a player who maybe could continue wasn't allowed, maybe because the other team just tried to take them out (a long shot of it happening of course).

Hope that makes it clear :D

I get what you're saying and I agree - I think we're both sort of agreeing with each other here without realising. Mascherano wasn't properly tested for a brain injury and it's worrying that he was allowed back on because he simply went "I'm fine", more or less :thdn:

The difference in defensive organization between both sides playing today and yesterday's Brazil is staggering.

I've been unable to watch most of the first half properly, but from what I saw it appeared highly interesting despite the total lack of major goalscoring opportunities - if that makes any sense. Two good sides playing at the top of their game and trying to outwit each other. Find it much more interesting than say, most of Holland-Costa Rica the other day, or even the hugely disappointing lunchtime matches of France-Germany and Argentina-Belgium. This one's defensive but evenly matched and intense.

Agree,i think an Argentina goal would force the Dutch to play more open and the game would take off!

Archived