Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Luiz is such a clown. I don't mind Mikel not featuring in the last two games as I'm assuming it's to do with the ACoN but I'd like to think he'll be back in the side from now on.

It's obvious to me he's being lined up as the fall-back plan should none of the preferred younger candidates (or Mourinho...) materialise. I'd be happy with him in that capacity.
Who are the preferred younger candidates? Klopp and Guardiola aren't feasible and there aren't that many great young managers out there. Mourninho aside, I'd rather get someone like Pellegrini/Mazzarri/Spaletti than gambling on managers like Strama/ De Boer assuming Roman does his usual thing and look outside of the Prem for his next manager

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Klopp is feasible enough, writing himself out of it right now is not news, every manager we've previously hired under Roman did the same. Add Simeone and Conte to the other younger names you mentioned there.

On Luiz, I don't care that he did that. We're too soft at the best of times, need to be a bit more *******.

I dunno, obviously he'll say to the media that he doesn't want to join but he strikes me like he actually means it. I think I read somewhere that he stayed at Mainz for that long out of loyalty (ie. to stay for the full length of his contract) and turned down quite a few job offers from better clubs. IMO, I think he'll stay at Dortmund till Löw steps aside from the German setup and then Klopp will take over there but you never know I guess.I'd like to see what Simeone can do over a longer period of time before commenting on how adequate he is for the position at Chelsea

Decent-ish game today from what I saw. What bugs me is FSW's way of thinking regarding 'tactical' substitutions. Bringing on Benayoun and Bertrand where they could easily have started and played more of these games is baffling.

On a side note my 21st is coming up at the end of April and from what I've seen going to the home game at Tottenham looks like the best choice, anyone have any info on when tickets go on general sale per chance?

I take that as a definite no then Phil?

Home game to Sunderland takes place when I'm in Spain for that long weekend and would've loved to have done an away trip to Anfield but I've got to be back in Essex that weekend.

What's the likelihood of Swansea tickets making it to general sale, probably a lot easier to get tickets for that surely?

Most people are happy with the contract extension of Cole but next season I really think we would be better with a new LB. Cole is still a brilliant LB yes but he has lost all his pace, quite weak, rarely gets forward as much and gets caught out a lot in defence. His movement and last ditch tackles/clearances are still there but for instance in the game against Brentford today, I expected a lot more from someone considered the best LB in the world. Had we had Baines for instance, we would have been much more of a threat going forward.

I would not swap Cole with anyone right now. He is great in forward runs and his play with left wingers specially Hazard is so good. Yeah his defending is just not as good as 2 years before but no-one is better either. He is probably one of the few players who always gives his 100% on the field.

Excellent how? Because he spends a lot of time doing overlaps and a lot of time in the opposition half? For someone who's a supposedly amazing attacking fullback, his input in attacking terms is unspectacular

He does create a fair few chances tbf. He is very good but not as good as most people think as the Everton system allows him to create so much. In any other team he wouldn't perform so well.

I have no idea who we are going to bring in as manager. As long as it's not Benitez then I will be happy (with obvious exceptions we could bring in). We just need to concentrate on coming at least 4th in the league. A trophy or two would be nice as well.

Also seen some rumours that Atletico would be interested in Torres. Hopefully this is true and if so getting Falcao in p/x would be amazing.

• Administrators

I don't want Falcao. Same age now as when we signed Torres, has probably peaked looking at his ridiculous feats already, too much capacity for it to all go tits up again. Sounds a bit churlish but that's how I see it right now. Find a younger option with that same upside but for it all to come cheaper (hard) and at Chelsea (less hard, new Drogba please).

• Administrators

Like **** are we.

Striker is really the only position we need a decent addition in because the club have (staggeringly) done a great job of positioning themselves with very good to exceptional talent for the long term everywhere else. Courtois, Azpilicueta, Wallace, Kalas, Omeruo, Luiz, Bertrand, Van Aanholt, De Bruyne, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Moses, Kakuta, Lukaku. Not one of those players is over the age of 25 and they're all capable of serving a purpose now, let alone down the road. That's only including guys who are doing it in top divisions as well, because obviously we like McEachran and Chalobah, and whilst Piazon and Thorgan Hazard are also in top divisons I need to see a bit more yet (Thorgan is better than I ever gave him credit for, admittedly).

It's a shame the club is a cluster**** on so many fronts because lining up players like they have isn't easy but they've accomplished it ridiculously well so far.

I was just thinking about Lewandowski yesterday, seems like someone I could see us getting. Well rounded striker that we seem to preffer (insert Torres joke here). Jovetić seems more like a forward to me, not a typical number 9. Not sure how he would fit even though he's great. Having seen plenty of Rudnevs since they bought Badelj (meaning I watch them more), I can't see how you came up with him :D He can score and is physically good but I'd say he's technically worse than Lukaku which just isn't good enough for me personally.

• Administrators
I was just thinking about Lewandowski yesterday, seems like someone I could see us getting. Well rounded striker that we seem to preffer (insert Torres joke here). Jovetić seems more like a forward to me, not a typical number 9. Not sure how he would fit even though he's great. Having seen plenty of Rudnevs since they bought Badelj (meaning I watch them more), I can't see how you came up with him :D He can score and is physically good but I'd say he's technically worse than Lukaku which just isn't good enough for me personally.

Rudnevs wouldn't necessarily be signed to be the lead guy, but more of an accompaniment to a main guy, like sort of what Kezman was meant to be and never was. Not the most refined but I like his productivity.

I want a new Eidur Gudjohnsen really though. <3

Bring back Kezman.

But yeah, I'm also not so keen on us signing Falcao, would much prefer a younger, cheaper, more raw option, someone we could shape to fit in with how we play.

Would love to see Feruz around the first team squad in the next few years too

Don't see the need to get some bulldozer upfront tbh given we've got Ba who offers something different as he is more of a physical presence.

Jovetić plays upfront for Fiorentina and it's probably his strongest position but can alternatively play in any of the attacking midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1.

Not saying it needs to be a bulldozer, just a bit more strength than Jovetic, someone who's more of a number 9 than a number 10. Ba does offer that, and while I like him a lot I don't see him as being our first choice next season.

It does worry me a bit that we haven't been creating chances for either Torres or Ba, though only one of those has really been making runs for us to find

Apparently Edinson Cavani is good friends with Gianfranco Zola - there's a connection that deserves to be exploited. Don't know why everyone seems to have gone sour on Falcao at the moment, if we're going to sign a new striker I'd see him or the aforementioned Cavani as the ideals and Lewandowski third.

Phil detailed the problem with falcao. I don't really want to spend another £50m+ on a player right now tbh. We have such a great crop of youngsters at the club now, I don't think we need to spend much at all. Would be ****ing scandalous if players like Lukaku, De Brunye, McEachran, Chalobah never get a proper chance (like Sturridge didn't) because we're still blowing crazy money on players, or in the case of Marin, a middling amount of money.

With hindsight, Falcao should have been bought when leaving Porto.

It's the same for all players though; we should be identifying them at a younger age and have them grow into great players with us. It's not a case of necessarily buying unknown players, but people like Mata who can be got at a reasonable (ish) price for their talents. Oscar and Hazard too to an extent. They may not be cheap, but we've bought them before their peak, not at the top of it. Ramires and David Luiz are other recent examples with varying success. Nothing revolutionary there, just some common sense.

Phil detailed the problem with falcao. I don't really want to spend another £50m+ on a player right now tbh. We have such a great crop of youngsters at the club now, I don't think we need to spend much at all. Would be ****ing scandalous if players like Lukaku, De Brunye, McEachran, Chalobah never get a proper chance (like Sturridge didn't) because we're still blowing crazy money on players, or in the case of Marin, a middling amount of money.

I absolutely agree that we should be looking to youngsters instead of splashing out, but equally so we haven't got a striker on the club's books who is of the calibre we need. Torres is awful, Ba is very good but not great, Lukaku is still quite raw and not ready for regular starting football with us. If we could get one world class striker, backed up by Ba and possibly Lukaku if he were willing, that'd be perfect for me.

Klopp is feasible enough, writing himself out of it right now is not news, every manager we've previously hired under Roman did the same. Add Simeone and Conte to the other younger names you mentioned there.

On Luiz, I don't care that he did that. We're too soft at the best of times, need to be a bit more *******.

Looks like he's signed a 4 year contract extension so you can bog off :brock:

Apparently one of his supposed demands for agreeing to sign the contract was the permanent signing of Courtois.

I really hope this is the policy they're pursuing now, it does look like they are but who the hell knows what Roman will decide to do tomorrow, no stability in anything at the club. It wouldn't surprise me for us to sign no strikers at the end of the season, or to ***** £50m on someone not up to it again, whatever Roman's mood that day is will dictate our transfers. Just wish he had better advisers around him, and a manager who knew he had a couple of years at least.

9 month CL winning anniversary gift: thread from a Spurs forum as we won http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/players-lounge/28126-bayern-munich-support-thread-fcuking-do-chelsea-34.html

Seen it on Twitter, absolute phenomenal read :D

Thanks for that, a nice dessert after the arsenal game :thup:

Archived