Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Possibly. He's prone to those sort of 'swing' decisions and splash moves aimed at trying to get the fans back onside, and that would be pretty much the ultimate one if he were to do so. If it's gonna happen, I expect it'd be as a result of Mourinho manipulating the situation to force his hand, so to speak, rather than RA going out and chasing him like he did Guardiola. If Mourinho puts him in that position and he's torn as to whether it's the right thing to do or not I'd expect him to err on the side of yes and give the usual confidence boost, then go from there.

Trying to second guess this man is mental though. I wrote this at the weekend trying to get an idea of who he'll look at but it's just as likely to be spectacularly wrong.

Cheers Phil, I saw that piece, well written and made a lot of sense, but as you said, who really knows what Roman is thinking? Looking at the candidates you posted, none of them jumps out as a Chelsea-style manager to me. The only candidate out there right now who looks to me that he'd suit the club (Other than Jose of course) is Laudrup. I know he hasn't achieved too much, but there's just something about him that I think would fit in well here.

Can anyone else see Mancini getting the boot from City, Roman going after him while Jose takes over up there and turns them into the best side in Europe? Hopefully that's just me being overly pessimistic though

Sadly that's exactly what I expect to happen, he'll stay there for 5+ years and turn them into a ridiculous force, before going on to manage Portugal to a world title, while we'll be stuck with bloody Benitez. I hope I'm wrong so much.

Edit: I didn't see Robo thinking we'd get Mancini, I just think Jose will go to City, I don't think we'll get Mancini, I think we're more likely to be stuck with Benitez in the longer term (or as long term as we go, so 1 season)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cech; Azpi, Cahill (v. lucky not to get sent off) Ivanovic, Bertrand; Lampard, Ramires; Marin (Benayoun), Mata, (Oscar), Hazard; Torres.

Oscar scored a great goal straight after coming on but otherwise it was absolute ****. Very open at the back too, so glad Mikel is back now, he and Lamps in the middle should keep it much more solid now.

When you throw in that the likes of Stoch, Cummings, Sinclair, Di Santo and Mancienne (plus Bridcutt, Mellis etc in the second tier) have all done that as well in the last few years and we're in a position where the manager is crying about a small squad, I struggle to have any sympathy.

Cummings has only proven capable at the second tier, and even then he hasn't been amazing- he would never have played for Chelsea for more than a one-off and I think you said as much when he signed for Reading. But I do generally agree with your point, you would probably have been better served by keeping Cork, Kakuta, Borini, etc. around the squad than spending fairly large sums on players who are roughly their equals. Whether the likes of Cork and particularly Sinclair would have reached their current levels without regular football and an arm around their shoulder is up for debate.

We have to play Sparta Prague again 2 days before away at City don't we? Hopefully we can beat Brentford and them relatively comfortably and be in good form to go to the Etihad. Would be happy with a draw but if we actually stay tight at the back (and play Demba Ba) I reckon we could sneak a win.

I was listening to something yesterday from the 2010 WC and one of the things they were talking about was how bad Torres was becoming. So of course we let him get even worse for another half season then spent £50m on him :applause: I saw another Benayoun quote where he blamed the influence of Drogba still, ****ing unbelievable.

Complete overkill of a team. All respect to Brentford, but if we can't beat a League One side with our backup XI we should be ashamed. Turnbull, Benayoun, Mikel, Marin and Bertrand should be out there, we've been on a tight schedule recently and it'll only cost us at year's end if our key players are exhausted. That said, if it helps get Benitez out I won't be complaining.

• Administrators
Just read we've made an inquired about Pellegrini. Obviously Jose's everyone's #1 pick but if nothing materialises from there, Pellegrini's probably one of the few managers I'd like at the club

It's obvious to me he's being lined up as the fall-back plan should none of the preferred younger candidates (or Mourinho...) materialise. I'd be happy with him in that capacity.

Complete overkill of a team. All respect to Brentford, but if we can't beat a League One side with our backup XI we should be ashamed. Turnbull, Benayoun, Mikel, Marin and Bertrand should be out there, we've been on a tight schedule recently and it'll only cost us at year's end if our key players are exhausted. That said, if it helps get Benitez out I won't be complaining.

Yeah.. no overkill in the first half.

One step closer!

Lampard breaking this record has taken precedence over our performance in any competition for me this season.

Yeah basically this. Think him breaking the record is the best we can realistically hope for anyway. Nice goals, Mata is just insanely good, need to sign up Frank etc. etc. same old same old really

Aside from the ridiculous foul, I thought Luiz had a decent game today, some lovely passes and one of the few players who tried to move the ball quickly from back to front in the first half. He also tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to pick out Ba's runs a few times which the other players seemed to ignore.

Does it worry everyone else that we cannot seem to create chances for strikers?

Wasn't the greatest performance but we won again so that's all good. A good win against Sparta and then a draw/win against City would be great. It will be a hard game but if we play like I know we can then we can beat them.

Thought Oscar and Mata were great today as well. Mata so :cool:

Archived