The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're better off just watching the keeper as you run in and making your mind up that way, thats all Cantona/Le Tisser/Balotelli ever does. Watch the keeper, if he doesn't move early stick it in the corner because it's too late and if he does roll it to the other side.

Saying that putting it anything above waist height to either side is a guaranteed goal anyway, I get the feeling lots of players just don't practice penalties much.

Being very picky here. Agree with Cantona/Balotelli. Pretty sure Le Tissier said he always chose his corner beforehand and just powered it with a strong side foot shot. iirc the one time he missed was when he changed his mind.

Being very picky here. Agree with Cantona/Balotelli. Pretty sure Le Tissier said he always chose his corner beforehand and just powered it with a strong side foot shot. iirc the one time he missed was when he changed his mind.

I was going off the video here:

where he says he favoured the left corner but he always watched the goalkeeper and if he saw him going early towards his corner he'd stick it in the other direction. Seems like the best way of doing things especially if you can sidefoot the ball as hard as Le Tis could.

The video does scientifically prove one thing though, a massive gut and old age do blunt your effectiveness from the spot, still better than Rooney's percentage though :D

I was going off the video here:
where he says he favoured the left corner but he always watched the goalkeeper and if he saw him going early towards his corner he'd stick it in the other direction. Seems like the best way of doing things especially if you can sidefoot the ball as hard as Le Tis could.

The video does scientifically prove one thing though, a massive gut and old age do blunt your effectiveness from the spot, still better than Rooney's percentage though :D

yes you are right, my memory failed me.

Another good move. Seems like they are opening the space for Januzaj who starts tonight, he hasn't been involved at u18 level despite still being eligible. So maybe they are trying to fast track him a bit.

He still doesn't look near ready for me. Maybe around this time next year but I'll be very surprised if he's pushed through before then, especially with Powell, Lingard, Cole and Brady around.

Think you're right about that, and he has also looked a level above in some of the U18 matches I've seen, so maybe they want to test him at a higher level to see how he responds. Plus, many reserve players have been loaned out which opens up more opportunities for players like Januzaj and Dæhlie.

1-1 was disappointing though, against a team that only had 3 points in 8 matches this season. Should have won. They've learnt too much from the first team and went 0-1 within 5 minutes :D Cracking goal by Powell though.

On another note, no Scholes or Fletcher in squad for Braga - playing at weekend?

Could be a good partnership for Villa that. Reckon Giggs starts tomorrow. Smalling to be involved somehow according to SAF; sounds like Buttner will start too.

Michael Keane and Lingard played for Leicester, so that's a good sign. Neither played the whole match (Keane started and Lingard came on at the end), but from what I read they did well enough. Hopefully they get plenty of minutes.

Would be great if we secured qualification tomorrow. Sounds like a reserve-ish side, but hopefully we can pull it off nevertheless. Hope Smalling will play at DC, though I suppose Rafael could really need a rest now.

Seen lots of posts and thought there must be a great debate going on.

Is it Nani? DDG? Rio lost pace? Ando lost weight?

No, Iceman and Leppard being gay together ;)

Good to see Smalling back for tonight, also surprised Keane went on loan. he might be needed for the after xmas defence injury scare.

Seen lots of posts and thought there must be a great debate going on.

Is it Nani? DDG? Rio lost pace? Ando lost weight?

No, Iceman and Leppard being gay together ;)

Good to see Smalling back for tonight, also surprised Keane went on loan. he might be needed for the after xmas defence injury scare.

We did talk about Nani and Carrick and Fletcher!

Archived