The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathetic is pushing it, but it's not great - far from it. Have more trust in RVP atm, as he is such a lethal finisher - Panenka muckup aside. It's tougher than it looks ofc, but I never feel comfortable when Rooney steps up, and that's not a great position to be in. When Ruud or Cantona stepped up, the goal had already been counted.

Very difficult to find penalty statistics for specific players, but the following Premiership team stats since 2009 show:

Man Utd: 19 from 27 (70%)

Chelsea: 24 from 28 (86%)

Man City: 20 from 23 (87%)

Liverpool: 11 from 17 (65%)

Arsenal: 9 from 14 (64%)

The whole premiership: 255 from 333 (77%)

Rooney's problem is the way he takes them. He swivels his hips when he tries to strike it in the bottom left side (almost like Beckham/Ronaldo) but it can really screw up the accuracy. If he takes them to the right/Gks left then he can use his power much more effectively. It's basically really poor technique.

Calling it really poor technique is absolute nonsense. Being able to hit the ball to the keepers right like he does with his body so open is tremendously difficult technique that few can pull off anywhere near as good as he does.

What it is, is a very risky technique but also very effective if he gets it right.

For me he should just adopt the Alan Shearer approach of a high blast. Easy to do, almost impossible to save.

The technique itself has a high risk factor when he is going for the inside shot. So fair enough, it might not actually be poor but the end result is too unpredictable. This isn't a free kick where the team can afford a 50-75% success rate. A penalty is a rare chance that needs the best chance of success as possible and his in-swing shot doesn't give that.

For me there are two ways to go about it. Ruud it up and just smash the ball into the side netting. If you are a top level striker that should really not be even the tiniest bit of problem 99% of the time. If that's not good enough just place it high to the side. More likely to be saved but top level footballers should not have trouble locating the top corner.

Always gets me angry when I see pathetic penalties passed at the goal, a couple of yards to the side and a few inches of the ground. Should fine players for those, inexcusable crap

I would rather have RVP taking them tbh. When we first signed him there was a video of all his Arsenal goals including lots of pens and he basically leathers all his pens (bar Southampton for us), even when he keeper goes the right way it's very difficult to keep out as Pepe Reina proved.

65% is poor.

Carrick didn't play well and I think that was a big influence on us not being particularly good today. Cleverley too. Made me feel very frustrated with Anderson's lack of fitness because he was excellent in midweek, taken off early, and really should have started today.

Thought Cleverley was much improved from last week personally, fizzing about the place and keeping moves ticking along nicely. His partnership with Carrick was much closer to how I'd envisaged it working, though Carrick was a little off at times. Think part of the Ando thing is that he hasn't played much this season.

Funny game today, pretty much 7s all round as everyone was either quiet and unspectacular or bright for the most part but with spells of sloppiness, aided and abetted by Arsenal being so insipid. In addition to Cleverley I thought RvP and Valencia had good games, and Anderson was very good again when he came on; but Evra was MotM for me. Didn't put a foot wrong all game at both ends of the pitch, scored(!), and won a header against Mertesacker.

Meant to say that I thought Ando was a tad unlucky not to come away with a goal - both van Persie and him seemed level. Thought the penner was legit too - was Santi suggesting that it shouldn't have been because he was only covering his face? Has he any grasp of the laws of the game?

Always fun to think what must be going through Aaron Ramsey's head on days like today too.

For me there are two ways to go about it. Ruud it up and just smash the ball into the side netting. If you are a top level striker that should really not be even the tiniest bit of problem 99% of the time. If that's not good enough just place it high to the side. More likely to be saved but top level footballers should not have trouble locating the top corner.

Always gets me angry when I see pathetic penalties passed at the goal, a couple of yards to the side and a few inches of the ground. Should fine players for those, inexcusable crap

For me, reasonably hard and low, just inside the post. If you pick your spot and hit it there it's very difficult for a keeper to get to it even if they guess the right way. It shouldn't be much of a problem hitting the ball just inside the post.

If a player of mine even hit a pen down the middle I'd fine the bugger. I hate pens down the middle.

The other option is to hit the pen so hard that it's basically past the keeper before he reacts. Beckham used to do that (before he started missing) but it's not reliable enough for me. What is wrong with picking a corner? No 'out-foxing the keeper' just bloody pick a corner! Pens aren't a time to be 'clever' it's a great chance to score.

Missing the target completely is unforgiveable

His record recently has been great, he's up closer to 80% than 70%. People just overreact.

People tend to do that. I can remember a couple relatively recent misses so I can see why.

You guys are top :O

Yes we are :cool:

The problem is the harder you hit it the less control you have. More often than not you pens 'down the middle' actually veer a little left or right, can cannon off the keeper that has just guessed either way. You don't need to think about what the keeper it thinking or out fox him, just put it in the corner, even he guesses if you hit it decent, inside of foot then he won't be saving it and you keep control of the shot

The problem is the harder you hit it the less control you have. More often than not you pens 'down the middle' actually veer a little left or right, can cannon off the keeper that has just guessed either way. You don't need to think about what the keeper it thinking or out fox him, just put it in the corner, even he guesses if you hit it decent, inside of foot then he won't be saving it and you keep control of the shot

You logic is flawed here. You rightly say that the harder you hit it the less control you have. But if you don't hit it with a good power into the corner that penalty can be saved. More so, if the keeper knows that the player never hit them through the middle, but only to the corners. You know, it's partly the reason why keepers do save those penalties, which the players tries to hit through middle. The keepers intentionally don't jump all the way to the corner.

You do need variety. Once per 10 penalties hit it through middle, a few times to top of the net and others to hard and low to the corners. That's the perfect way to do it.

If you hit it reasonably hard right by the post, low, the keeper just can't get there in time. If Rooney's yesterday had been just inside the post instead of outside it, no keeper could have saved that - unless he went wickedly early. That is arguably the best place to put them, and still remain pretty safe. If you start hitting them high the keeper won't save it, but you also run a risk of a slight miskick putting it over the bar. Ask Roberto Baggio and many others. In a pressured situation, taking a penalty isn't as easy as slotting in ten in a row in training.

You can run the same risk with a power-shot, a slight miskick and it goes wide or over, but almost no matter where you put one of those screamers the keeper will find it very hard to save. If he's lucky and it hits in in the midriff or something he can get it, but most times getting a hand on those won't be enough as it's so hard.

Think variation to both bottom corners is the best way. As long as you find those corners it has the goalie guessing which side to go, and they're almost impossible to get to if you shoot them instead of 'pass' them.

Right now I'd feel more safe with RVP taking them though. Rooney have missed too many for my comfort, and RVP seems to always score on them - with the obvious exception for us with the Panenka attempt. He usually glues them to the inside post, and there is usually no saving those. That's where Cantona put them too, and he missed once for us in all those years (might have been zero, but think he missed one).

I think we can all tell the difference between 'good power into a corner' and blasting through the ball in terms of control, side footing it into a corner for starters.

You don't need variety, just put it in the corner. You're in a the prominent position as a kicker, it's a penalty, they are being penalised, it's supposed to be a goal, it's not some equal meeting of minds. It shoud be difficult to save, that's the idea.

When you blast the hell out of it or fanny about giving the keeper the eyes is when you make it complicated. If you want variety put it just inside the post of the other side of the goal.

High and in the corner is also great but once you started hitting it higher you're also losing a bit of control. Pressure comes into it, nerves so you're better off side footing it. Tbh even side footing it you shouldn't be missing if aiming a little higher but you see it.

It's not that easy to hit "reasonably hard right by the post, low", it's really not. You've got about the same chances to hit to the top corner with 1,5m radius. It will be as hard to save.

And yes, if the only variety the player has is to hit it low by one of the posts, the keepers will be able to get to one of those corners by moving early.

Of course, it's just amateur football, but there was one guy who did hit his penalties extremely accurate and with enough power. But the problem was, that he always hit it to the keepers left. And I was able to save them by simply moving to that corner during his last steps in run-up.

That's why you need to vary it by left and right, or the keeper can almost just stand there from the get go :D

Once you start putting them high though, you run the risk of blowing them over. Plus, you need to put them proper high. If they end up a meter off the ground for example, it's keeper food, the perfect height. So overall I think the most secure is to put them just inside the post with reasonable strength. Doesn't mean it's easy to pull off every single time, especially on the level we are talking about here, but it's probably easier than, say, putting them to either top corner-ish every time. So easy to get slightly too much air under it. Even more so in a high-pressure situation.

You're better off just watching the keeper as you run in and making your mind up that way, thats all Cantona/Le Tisser/Balotelli ever does. Watch the keeper, if he doesn't move early stick it in the corner because it's too late and if he does roll it to the other side.

Saying that putting it anything above waist height to either side is a guaranteed goal anyway, I get the feeling lots of players just don't practice penalties much.

Archived