The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small interview with Solskjær. Can't bother to translate it all, but the gist of it is that he still follows what happens in the club quite closely, which is natural given two of his coaches are from Man Utd. Keeps tabs on results if their matches clash and such, and was more than a little giddy when Arsenal were trounced 8-2.

Doesn't really mean all that much, but still :cool:

Asked whether he's more of a fan now when he's not there as a coach.

- I always have an idea about what I would have done.

- I'm young and want to learn, and when you follow football it's rarely only entertainment. You try to envision different scenarios - what would I have done in this situation and so forth. Because you never know...

Pretty sure he wants to come back. Still a massive fan of the club, and I'll be surprised if his ultimate goal isn't to become the manager of Manchester United.

"Blaming" is media/blog spin. All he says is that all the team needed to do was see the game out but Nani tried to beat a man and lost possession which cost a counter-attack and goal.
I think it was a general comment about the team needing to know when to take those risks and when not (89th minute, 3-2 up, take the ball to the corner perhaps?) but then that type of time wasting hasn't really been United's style. Like I said, "blaming" is the spin being put on it.

It's rare he publicly pinpoints a player for fault.

A normal statement would be "All WE (the Team) needed doing is see the game out and not lose possession like we did which cost us the game"

So we must learn from Away v Liverpool followed by Home v Spurs.

We got a welcome fortuitous 3 points and need to kick on with 3 points tomorrow. Hope we play the 11 and shape we used against Chelsea. Crosses into the box will give this Arsenal defence Kittens.

Not really. Since then we've reached the Champions League final, won the league once and had better records against the other 18 teams in the division than the Champions the other two seasons, all while playing a nominally four man midfield for the most part. We can control the midfield with a pair against most sides, but against the better teams we could invariably use an extra pair of legs.

As long as we don't encourage them with stupid mistakes at the back or giving the ball away from defence/midfield(might need Scholes in the middle) then we should win this. I'm not as optimistic as last year where some of us got laughed at for thinking it would be a big win (:brock:), but we should win it.

Vidic out for another month, to Xmas. I wonder if he'll ever be the player he was :(

Unfortunately I don't think so. He'll be great when fit but he's already getting old and with these injuries he won't be the best defender in the world anymore.

Pleased with that half, and think we have had very good control so far. Damn shame Rooney missed that penalty, which was correct btw. 2-0 to HT would be great, although perhaps well paid for a fairly even match, though United have created the only real chances so far.

Don't turn off the gas in the second half now. I'd like to see a whole good game by us for once, not this one half BS.

Carrick didn't play well and I think that was a big influence on us not being particularly good today. Cleverley too. Made me feel very frustrated with Anderson's lack of fitness because he was excellent in midweek, taken off early, and really should have started today.

He looked absolutely shattered when he was taken off Wednesday. Subbed on the 81st minute so hardly early. Was never going to start today.

Not being particularly good? Did I watch a different game? Okay, so we only won 2-1, but Arsenal created F all until overtime, and we could have scored about 3 more goals. We played well. Even defence looked sturdy today, which surprised me. Thought Rooney did a stellar job on Arteta too, while also creating plenty going forward. Good games by both RVP and Rooney in particular (and Rio was great too), but MOM was RVP in my opinion. Just about everything he did going forward was dangerous, and he could have had a hattrick today with slightly different timing of run and/or pass (and the great fingertip save)

Are we the worst team against 10 men? If Arsenal had scored earlier, I wouldn't have had any faith in this team actually holding out, even though we should have scored way more. But that's sort of the point - we should have scored way more. Instead, we sit back and relax.

Not being particularly good? Did I watch a different game? Okay, so we only won 2-1, but Arsenal created F all until overtime, and we could have scored about 3 more goals. We played well. Even defence looked sturdy today, which surprised me. Thought Rooney did a stellar job on Arteta too, while also creating plenty going forward. Good games by both RVP and Rooney in particular (and Rio was great too), but MOM was RVP in my opinion. Just about everything he did going forward was dangerous, and he could have had a hattrick today with slightly different timing of run and/or pass (and the great fingertip save)

This - we bossed this game and could and should have had 4 or 5. What annoys me is the lack of killer instict when 2-0 up and Arsenal down to 10. Didn't we learn that goal difference might matter from last year? Very apathetic second gear performance and yet we bossed it - what does that say about Arsenal? Thought back 4 were superb today such a shame we conceded at the death - they deserved a clean sheet.

Carrick's long range passing was poor today - he looks tired to me. Thought SAF would've rested more once the game was ours after 70 mins.

We bossed the game because Arsenal were impotent. I think we weren't terrible but we weren't great, especially before the second goal. Loads of sloppy play and very poor finishing. We were significantly better than Arsenal but I don't think we were near our best.

In a sense thats not a bad thing I guess.

Absolutely. I can't believe people can't see how good that game was for us from start to finish. Ended 2-1 and could easily have been a 5/6-1 if there was a sharper cutting edge and Rooney hadn't swivelled those damn hips of his on the penalty.

Bossed the game, midfield didn't get punished and at no time did United look like losing the game or even drawing it. By far the best performance of the season.

Archived