Worst Signing Ever...

Ribery for £22m on FM07 to complete my new look Liverpool side (and to stop me having to play Gerrard out wide).

He was monumentally cack.

I was all Arsene Wengery over him and bought a Franck sized ball of cotton wool to stick him in between games. Trained him properly; sang his praises to packed press conferences; built my tactics around him (even the ball boys were throwin him the ball); i even considered taking french lessons so i could console him after his latest 6.00 rating.

At first i thought 'Pires took 6 months to settle in, so let him sulk for a bit'....1 year and zero goals or assists later i gave up and tried to flog him for about £15m. Not one single professional club on earth wanted him.

So he rotted until i became so disillusioned with it all committed FM suicide.

Disaster.

It has taken me a long time to rate him in real life since that experience. oh how the lines of reality blurr...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not my worst signing was Thierry Henry for Southampton! Bought him after 2 seasons once I got promoted and got a very respectable 9th in my 1st season, he was by far and away my best player yet he just couldn't produce anything! His flair and skill from his Arsenal days had completely deserted him and he was nothing more than a money grabbing...... well, I'll let you decide on the words there lol

Stefan Kiessling from Leverkusen... took me forever to get a fee agreed with em, finally got him for £10m and went straight into the team because of an injury crisis. scored on his debut, and i thought "oh, maybe we'll be ok after all"... sadly that was the only goal he scored. signed 1st January for £10m, now its the following Jan, and he's rotting in the reserves, as he was so bad in the appearances he made from jan to may he scored once, got booked every other game, and didnt make any assists and now nobody wants him, not even for half what i paid!! :mad:

My fave. Kiebling is an monster for me always...

Worst had been a regen I bought for my AFC Wimbledon. He was at Newcastle for few years. And was usually competing with my striker for top goalscorer. I bought him for 30M Euros and he scored 5 goals in about 40 games. Sold him next year to Arsenal for 22M Euros. One of the few signings I lost money on and my worst signing of FM08

Believe it or not my worst signing was Thierry Henry for Southampton! Bought him after 2 seasons once I got promoted and got a very respectable 9th in my 1st season, he was by far and away my best player yet he just couldn't produce anything! His flair and skill from his Arsenal days had completely deserted him and he was nothing more than a money grabbing...... well, I'll let you decide on the words there lol

What, are you kidding? This must be a fluke! Look how he's lighting it up at Barca! /sarcasm and poking fun at TH14.

Toni Kroos- bought him first season for £6m. I didn't buy him for instant impact and was well aware he was more one for the future. However, each season his performances got worse until I sold him at the age of 24 for £4.5m

Blimey, he's immense on my save and all the top teams are after him, i'm just waiting for the right bid to make some cash.

I almost snagged Toni Kroos on a free transfer for Werder Bremen, but he chose to go to Milan instead. I didn't want him especially, but he was at Bayern, available on a Bosman and seemed willing to agree terms with us rather than stay at the odious team from Munich :p

I wish Ciprian Marica would fail at Roma in my game, then I might be able to take him back to Werder Bremen having made the biggest mistake of my managerial career in selling him! (Well, possibly the 2nd biggest mistake after paying £17.5 million for Gomez, but had I not sold Marica I wouldn't have signed Gomez!)

What, are you kidding? This must be a fluke! Look how he's lighting it up at Barca! /sarcasm and poking fun at TH14.

lol To be fair although he was getting on a bit I thought he may be a quality signing for Southampton but how wrong was I to be, maybe should have guessed at the £900k price tag or something along those lines! Sold him on 6 months later for £1m (I know that much) which considering how poor he had done I was very pleased with

John Heitinga or Juan Fernando Arango on fm 07:@:@

John Heitinga cost me 8.5m started well average rating of about 7 and a half up to january first season now in 4th season and his average rating over the past 4 years has been about 6 or less despite me sticking with him because he does have some good games but only about 3 a season also concedes so many penaltys and scores so many OG's:@:@

Arango i got for 11.25 million because he was a good uick ide player who could finish and cross well which is what i was missing so went for him to bolster my team so after 70 odd games he had 2 assists and no goals with an average rating off 5.67 :@:@ but i did feel better when after 5 other games every club who have signed him hes done awful for

Worst player though: Jermaine easter brought for 1.7 mill which i had to seel a couple of players to afford as i was swansea and he didnt score all season total waste:@

Bought Ricardo Oliviera and Lukas Podolski for my Palermo side to bolster my attack. Ricky scored a hat trick on his debut but hurt his leg and was out for two months. Came back and was never the same. Lets not even talk about Podolski. Also Ezequiel Carboni from Napoli who looked so promising playing along side Dessena and Juan Manuel Torres but never got it going. I could also add Mirko Vucinic and Reginaldo (who I predicted to flop but he did anyways).

Vincent Kompany. Got him for 28 million US for Spurs in my second season and he hasn't shown up for the amount that I paid for him. Although I have Samba, King, Woody, and Dervite in there too I mean its not a huge deal but I'm pretty ****ed. Tried to get him games in the Dmid spot and he has been absolutely terrible. Altough 8.0.1 isn't excatly known for its dmids.

I had Andy Booth in my Rushden side. Well not really in the side. In his 18 month spell at Nene Park he never made an appearance, and only made it onto the bench on one occasion.

What a waste of 400 pound a week :(

What changed between after you signed him to make you decide to never play him? That makes no sense?

Bought a disgruntled Vagner Love for 5.5 quid. Gave him about 2 starts, with 7 or 8 subs appearances. He got one goal, I think. Anyways became angry yet again I wasn't starting him so after half a season I sold for 8.5.

you must have done something cause he is pure quality in the game

Bought Ricardo Oliviera and Lukas Podolski for my Palermo side to bolster my attack. Ricky scored a hat trick on his debut but hurt his leg and was out for two months. Came back and was never the same. Lets not even talk about Podolski. Also Ezequiel Carboni from Napoli who looked so promising playing along side Dessena and Juan Manuel Torres but never got it going. I could also add Mirko Vucinic and Reginaldo (who I predicted to flop but he did anyways).

yeah both oliviera and podcast have always been terrible for me, after once each i havent bought them since and both were from 05

I did a double!

Middle of season two with Pompey. Finished 6th previous season and this season I was 3rd in the Prem and in the League Cup Final. However I had a few suspensions and injuries without a big squad and was really missing (major goalscorer) Defoe and my Russian right winger who was awesome (Tej-something-or-other). I had been given money (£20m!!!) from the board who were loving my work ( :) ), so looked on the transfer list to get some immediate joy.

Found two 'pearlers' (so I thought). Landan Donovan at Villareal was listed by request at £5.5m and Aaron Lennon at Spurs was also listed by request...worth £8m but listed at £11. they woudl be on big wages but...what the hey...they seemed to be similar players to those I had lost, buy them I thought!!!

So I put in the bids, it all goes smoothly and in my boys go in for the game against second bottom Norwich, who were shipping goals for fun. Both got a 6 (in a 1-0 win) but I dismissed it. Kept faith with them, continued to play them. Both utter garbage. Donovan had (I think) 5 goals and 1 assist in 20 or so matches, Lennon scored ONE goal with ONE assist...but to be fair his goal was class - took the ball on the wing and weaved around three people before slamming it far corner.

Pair of muppets! :(

their attributes are average at best so why would you expect much from them? look at real life

agree that makes no sense and is your own fault
Bought a disgruntled Vagner Love for 5.5 quid. Gave him about 2 starts, with 7 or 8 subs appearances. He got one goal, I think. Anyways became angry yet again I wasn't starting him so after half a season I sold for 8.5.

This doesn't make sense... how can you sign somebody for £5.5 and then only play him 2 times yet your still able to sell him for £8.5? Why would a team pay that for somebody who hasn't played?! makes no sense and just is another flaw in transfer system. As if i tried to sell someone worth £5.5 who was playing every game and had good form i would either get no interest or a measly £3mil maybe if i'm lucky!

Thiago Motta.

Decent stats, pathetic performances.

Got him on a free though so just sold him for like £50k

Same...I loved him on 07 and when 08 came out I tried over n over to give him a chance to replicate his 07 performances but hes ALWAYS getting carded and doesn't play all that well anyhow.

I bought a young Argentinian Striker (regen) for my Rosenborg team in FM07 for about 5 or 6 mil. I played him 10 games and he scored once, at which point I got sick of him and bought someone else. This kid had awesome stats, but it seemed like no matter how awesome they were, he could never translate that into goals. I stuck him in the reserves and played him only 2 or 3 games a year for the first team. In his entire 8 year career with the team, he scored maybe 8 goals for the first team.

I gave him to my rivals, and he almost beat the league topscorer record for a single season.

I bought Adriano(WBL) cost me in the region of 32mill, got sent off his in first match, then the following day got injured in training, and was out for 10months!. When he finally came back, he played 3/4 games, became unhappy at team talks on matchdays, and requested a transfer. Promptly sold him in the transfer window for, wait for it: 10mill. Swine.

season 2008/09,

aguero to liverpool costing 18mil + add ons. played 28 scored 5 assist 2 (all comp) :( ..

same season brought nemeth in from reserves 31 scored 16 assist 2 (all comp)

and obviously torres played 34, scored 28 and assisted 6 (premierleague goals)

jo signed in january played 17 scored 4 assist 2 costing 5mil (all comp)

That just shows how bad aguero was compared to rest of the team.

sold aguero the next season 17mil + add ons + 50% + buy back £25.5

Back in FM05 I signed a really talented Central African guy for my Häcken team. The guy never really settled, went twice on leave for personal reasons, and then decided to call it quits at the ripe old age of 22. :mad:

On the 6 or how many games he played, he was quality.

well he was not your worst sighing if he played great.

In FM07 I spent £3.5m on Joey Didulica from AZ for my team that had just been promoted to Premiership. Ignorant of the fact that pace and acceleration are among the most important attributes for keepers in FM I thought that with his impressive technical and mental stats he would be a really solid addition, one that would excel while his experience would be a good thing to have with a team quite young and new to such a high level.

Well he only got on about 4 or 5 times, conceding more than 3 goals on average and was outplayed by a keeper that I'd had in my team since we were in L2. Only good thing about this farce was that after I sold him on to Wigan he continued his outstanding form whenever I played them, thus I was guaranteed a big score win every time they were daft enough to play him against me :)

why would a kepper need acceleration.

Toni Kroos- bought him first season for £6m. I didn't buy him for instant impact and was well aware he was more one for the future. However, each season his performances got worse until I sold him at the age of 24 for £4.5m

Toni Kroos is awesome in my game. Signed him on a bosman free in the first season, and haven't regretted it. Despite the fact he has played a massive 0 games for Portsmouth in 3 years, everyone wants him, value $7 million pound. He's now out on loan at Bayern Munich :p

My worst signing? I've generally been pretty good with my signings, but my worst must be Mathieu Flamini. Paid $7.75 million for him (Have no idea why, i wanted a few players on deadline day), biggest mistake i've made. He's now rotting in my reserves, not playing, and no-one wants him :(

hmmm, there has been a few. 2 that spring to mind are Vagner Love on 08 and albert bloody luque on 07.

Vagner Love came to my spurs team for a big chunk o money, and left 12 months later for peanuts. he started only 4 or 5 times, made numerous sub appearances, didn't score or assist, had a shocking ave rating, went to lazio, scored for fun.

Albert bloody luque came to my 'Gers side for £3.5m. a bargain i thought. I'll give him the confidence he needed after such a miserable time on tyneside. I'll get him back to his best. and i did. He was really good for me. trouble was, he was such a twat and dressing room spoiler that half my team hated him, no-one wanted to join us and he caused no end of problems for me. I ended up selling him after 1 and a half seasons i think, for about £7m, just to restore order to ibrox. that is why he is albert bloody luque

Manager of Liverpool, signed Steven Taylor from Newcastle as a good young defender, I failed to discipline him after a sending off and Torres fell out with him, I decided to keep him in the reserves and offload him in the Jan window. My own fault, but very dissapointing.

Manager of Liverpool, signed Steven Taylor from Newcastle as a good young defender, I failed to discipline him after a sending off and Torres fell out with him, I decided to keep him in the reserves and offload him in the Jan window. My own fault, but very dissapointing.

you would be a great manager not no way would you ever be a good manager.putting a player in the reserves as another player had a problem with him you would lose the dressing room buy siding with players if you were a manager in real life.if anything it looks like torres is the bad apple falling out with a player because he did not get fined.

On 07 I played as Bolton and after a couple of successful seasons having broken into Europe and reached the UEFA Cup final two years in a row (lost to Bayern on pens, beat CSKA in normal time) I spent the bonus money and TV revenue on german keeper Weidenfeller (£11m) and striker Nelson Valdez (£18m). Valdez was ok, scored about 8 in 20 in an injury plagued first season and was never the same again, sold him 3 seasons later for £6m to Everton after 29 in 88 appearances- ok but wanted more from him for £18m. Weidenfeller meanwhile was utter grot, made key mistakes in my first season in the CL which cost me when I got knocked out in the group stages, then got arsey when I dropped him after three 6 and two 5 performances and demanded a transfer shortly after. Sold him to Lyon for £8m six months later, after just 9 appearances, purely to get him out of my hair, and never forgave...

Not sure it counts as 'worst signing' but a mate of mine (Spurs fan) bought Bentley on the cheap and then because he hates him as a player (ironic now huh?), put him in the reserves and fined him 2 weeks wages for no reason, every 2 weeks, so he never got a penny in wages. Utterly ruined his career just for the amusement. Made me laugh how he could be so vindictive on a game lol.

Florin Bratu on FM 08 as Recreativo de Huelva

I offered the guy 27k in wages....never came to life on the right and upfront he wasnt that special either getting 10 in 30 full app.

The wages cuzed me to go over budget and had to adjust with losing some transfer fee :(

Playing as Newcastle United i sold Emre for 6mil and managed to get Collonchi for 7.8 mil or so. In his first match he got a 4 and had 2 own goals. he played 10 matches (due to injury problems) and averaged 5.4. Thank god for Given being incredible. (averaging 9)

Worst signing has to be Antonio Cassano from Real Madrid on my current Milan game in 2010/11 season. The biggest sulkiest under-performing git ever. Got him on a free but selling to Seville in Jan transfer window for £3.3mill. :D

Also for sheer over-valueness it's Rafael Sobis from Betis on an old Barcelona game. He was banging them in for Betis; 36 goals in 34 apps. Bought him for £35mill and he did fluff all for me. 6 goals in 40 apps. Sold back to Betis for about £20mill.

In FM08 (there have probably been some worse offences in past games, but I've buried the memories) my worst overall is probably Ricardo Montolivo for £27m at Juventus, but this is another case of never really getting what I wanted for the money. Meant to be the final piece in the jigsaw he unbalanced the team and took a year to become a solid player, but was never exactly awful.

In the same game I signed Podolski for about £7.5m from Bayern to be a back-up striker. Did OK in limited duty off the bench for half a season then gradually dropped off in form and slipped down the pecking order before getting unhappy. This did not stop me from making the exact same mistake when I saw him available for about £2.5m when I moved to Marseille. Gave him a chance to be a genuine first teamer and he did absolutely nothing. Off to another reserve team.

In the same game I signed Podolski for about £7.5m from Bayern to be a back-up striker. Did OK in limited duty off the bench for half a season then gradually dropped off in form and slipped down the pecking order before getting unhappy. This did not stop me from making the exact same mistake when I saw him available for about £2.5m when I moved to Marseille. Gave him a chance to be a genuine first teamer and he did absolutely nothing. Off to another reserve team.

LMAO. I can't believe you re-signed him!! That's classic. :D

I think I must have been ill at the time. :) I was still in the phase of rinsing my old club for players I knew, I needed strikers and got a bit carried away. The logic went something along the lines of 'Ok, he wasn't up to Serie A, but SURELY he can handle Ligue 1...' Wrong, wrong, wrong.

FM08, 1st Season i finished 13th with Birmingham City and got a transfer budget of roughly 16m in my 2nd Season i spent 9m on Gael Etock 17/18 year old from Barcelona hailed as a 'Wonderkid' his stats were already extremely good apart from his pace which was lacking, He was awful i got the sack Birmingham only just stayed up then they sent him off to Fulham for nothing, I am now considering signing him again now he has matured and im back in the premiership with southampton and pushing for champions league.

My mates and I have a name for these players... "Ortega's", or a player can be described as "Ortega bad".

My friend first made the mistake of signing Ariel Ortega for his crystal palace team in his second season of FM05, where he managed to average an incredible 4.5 (no less!) in the championship. despite this rating he stuck with him, testing him out in pretty much every position he could apparently play (this being the version where if you played a player even slightly out of position they received hideous ratings).

However after a few months of failure, he decided enough was enough and transfer listed him. Deciding that his 25k a week (4 year) contract was rather large for his "unibond" standard performances. This turned out to be an even bigger mistake than signing him in the first place. Ortega, being the lovely chap that he is, didn't take kindly to being transfer listed, and began his sulking / media outbursts. Team morale started to plummet and soon enough pretty much his entire squad had Ortega as disliked personnel. He tried his best to sell the sulking Argie, offering him to everybody he could, even at an asking price of £0, Ortega was impossible to shift.

Eventually his terrible performances and team destroying personality turned his promotion challenging side into relegation fodder.

The following season, after humiliatingly being relegated from the championship Ortega was sacked for an astronomical payoff, wiping out any chance of a decent transfer kitty. This was perhaps Ortega's final laugh, as the lack of investment left palace rooted to the foot of league1 after a couple of games and my friend was forced to follow Ortega out of selhurst park.

From that day forth only the most disastrous of signings are described as "Ortega bad".

Note: merely awful performances cannot warrant such a description... Only the single handed destruction of a team and managerial career. Be Warned.

Archived