Small, otherwise insignificant things which annoy you

I'm getting more and more annoyed with the life I'm wasting watching players and refs stroll towards each other before a card is issued. It takes so flaming long!

If they at least both strolled towards each other maybe it'd take less time. But no, apparently the refs feel way too important to move. In fact they can't even be arsed turning towards the player, the player has to walk around them. How come I have to watch this as a part of the key highlights package is a question only the SI coders can answer, I guess they have some sadistic tendencies.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three more to add to this ever-growing list -

Passes aimed at a guy with his back to the action that bounce off his heels like he's a goalpost.

The way the team you manage is the only one that ever, ever takes a throw-in straight to an opposition player.

The way my players, when defending a throw-in, will just ignore the guy stood in acres of space by the touchline. He'll receive the ball, cross it, goal.

Defence splitting pass leads to a perfectly good goal, defender rushes the linesman complaining that the player was offside, happens almost every time.

The way, in a press conference, if you suggest your next match will be tough, you always get the same follow up question: "Your response suggests you have concerns about your team", or words to that effect.

No, I don't have concerns. I think I have a great squad. It's just that I'm managing a Greek team and going away to Chelsea for a Europa League second leg tie after losing 1-0 at home in the first leg isn't exactly easy. Like any normal manager, I'm going to pitch us as the underdogs we are. Oh, I can't point out the obvious gulf in class between the English Premier League and the Greek Superleague? Fine, no comment then.

I'd rather the keeper learned how to use his weaker foot. Mistakes are a part of the learning process. Besides, when a keeper is closed down on his stronger side he's just as likely to c*ck up trying to play himself out of trouble.

It's ridiculous that you can't train players to become stronger with their weaker foot in FM. In FM you tell a coach to teach players how to avoid going to their weaker side. In reality you tell the coach to introduce a training drill where the player will get

kicked in the nuts every time he touches the ball with his preferred foot.

if your manerging spurs i'll do the nut kicking for free- might even pay you for the pleasure

When signing a player who was released from a top level club, media will ask: "[Player X] was released by AC Milan failing to get a breakthrough there. Do you think you've seen something in him that others didn't" (actual wording may differ)

Me: "Well, I'm in Serie C so I don't know why you'd find it shocking that a Milan reject is good enough for me. Stupid question!"

My favorite one of all time is the way that any time an opposition forward counterattacking from the wing, when my full backs are now where to be seen, I love the fact that every single time he strolls straight to goal unopposed as my center backs just basically jog back in the middle of the pitch almost like they are on a string. They never ever go wide and close down the counterattacking player. But the AI manages to do it every time.

1. Player thinks team is underperforming, but finished above expectation later on when the season ended. Next season, media ask me what i think of player X's concern of team underperforming.

2. Player X fouls player Y. Player X falls onto the ground. Needs treatment. Physio bring him to sideline. Wait for him to be treated. Then wait for him to walk to the referee to penalise him, before game continues

True, but the assistant will say it about almost everyone. It's not like every youngster goes out on loan all the time. I just think it's quite funny how dramatic he makes it sound. Like I'm abusing their human rights or something.

And some youth players are rubbish anyway, so it's not like it matters to you.

"Look, seriously, this winger is going to get worse if he doesn't get game time"

"I don't care. He's a winger with 2 for dribbling, 1 for strength and 1 for pace. He won't become a top player. How could he possibly get any worse?"

"He's not getting game time. The game.. with the runs and.. lack of.. ...offside..."

"Get the F out of my office you cretin! Oh, and tell Coach McNish to stop commenting on our match preparation. I know we're doing alright, because I'm the one who instructed it. I don't need an update every single week!"

True, but the assistant will say it about almost everyone. It's not like every youngster goes out on loan all the time. I just think it's quite funny how dramatic he makes it sound. Like I'm abusing their human rights or something.

Yeah, definitely. Similarly, I always feel a little amused about my coahces DEMANDING focus on match preparation.

"I want first team football"

"Okay I'll let you go at the end of the season"

"I can't wait that long"

"Okay I'll let you go now"

"Thanks, I'm glad you've seen it from my point of view"

-----

*Offers mutual termination, player is on £15 per week*

-----

pageunwilling.jpg

I am left more and more amused on a daily basis by how illogically awful the player interaction is.

"Get the F out of my office you cretin! Oh, and tell Coach McNish to stop commenting on our match preparation. I know we're doing alright, because I'm the one who instructed it. I don't need an update every single week!"

I'm getting quite annoyed by those mails regarding match preparation from my assistant coach too.

I'm actually really annoyed at one I've just seen. A player gets treatment on the pitch, but then physio trots off and the player stays on the pitch. Isn't it a Fifa rule that players have to go off and come back on again if they receive treatment?

I'm actually really annoyed at one I've just seen. A player gets treatment on the pitch, but then physio trots off and the player stays on the pitch. Isn't it a Fifa rule that players have to go off and come back on again if they receive treatment?

That's been a problem for a few years know, for me the whole injury in play scenarios are knackered & most do not work as they do irl.

Sometimes I do wonder if anyone at SI actually watches what is happening on the screen or just looks at the lines of code & assumes the visual representation matches what is in their head.

English Under 18s are grouped into geographical categories. One of those is Wales & West. That's all the welsh teams and the teams from the west. It's unrealistic for Wrexham, a team from north Wales, to be playing youth games against Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers/City and Exeter. It's much more geographically feasable for Wrexham to be grouped into the North West division, with the Liverpudlian, Mancunian and Cheshire sides, as they do in real life.

English Under 18s are grouped into geographical categories. One of those is Wales & West. That's all the welsh teams and the teams from the west. It's unrealistic for Wrexham, a team from north Wales, to be playing youth games against Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers/City and Exeter. It's much more geographically feasable for Wrexham to be grouped into the North West division, with the Liverpudlian, Manchester and Cheshire sides, as they do in real life.

Seems odd that SI wouldn't get this right.

Playing a match. Get 3 players sent off during the match...

Curious, I reload and try the match again telling my players to 'stay on their feet'.

'Only' one player sent off in the first half...

Second half I tell my players to go in hard on the tackles, and no further cards to me....:confused:

huh? What's up with that judge???

To be honest, most fouls are really crappily animated. It's impossible to tell what the appropriate punishment should be. You get fouls where a guy comes up behind another guy, and the guy in front is considered to have committed the foul. Most fouls look like two players randomly bumping into each other. It's really frustrating how hard it is to judge refereeing decisions.

To be honest, most fouls are really crappily animated. It's impossible to tell what the appropriate punishment should be. You get fouls where a guy comes up behind another guy, and the guy in front is considered to have committed the foul. Most fouls look like two players randomly bumping into each other. It's really frustrating how hard it is to judge refereeing decisions.

I slag off the referee after the game regardless. Usually to make up for their awful offside decisions. Yes I know they 'get them wrong sometimes for realism' but it's still frustrating.

I kind of hope SI have had a look through this thread. I've been quite active in it and I wouldn't want to give them the impression I'm not enjoying the game because, after mistakenly slating it on first look, I've really gotten into FM12. I think it's fantastic. Nevertheless, this thread shows that there are a tonne of kinks to iron out, especially in the match engine and the various animations. Would be great if they were paying a little attention.

Column resizing on the squad screen is utterly broken. It's probably broken on other screens too, but I'm bored already of trying to make them fit. Which they definitely can because the Player Status column is THREE TIMES the size it needs to be, but it can't be shrunk any further. Trying just changes the size of various other columns. GNRGH.

FM2012

Agent of PlayerX: PlayerX deserves a new contract

Me: I agree. He has scored tons of goals and I would be happy to give him a raise.

Agent of PlayerX: We want 19000DKK/month or no deal. (Which is around a ~1000% raise and almost half of my BSP wage budget).

Me: .... (<- speechless)

Me: I guess he will have to stay for the remaining 2 years of his contract at same wage instead of doubling his wage...

Agents (and players) need to do a reality check :)

FM2012

Agent of PlayerX: PlayerX deserves a new contract

Me: I agree. He has scored tons of goals and I would be happy to give him a raise.

Agent of PlayerX: We want 19000DKK/month or no deal. (Which is around a ~1000% raise and almost half of my BSP wage budget).

Me: .... (<- speechless)

Me: I guess he will have to stay for the remaining 2 years of his contract at same wage instead of doubling his wage...

Agents (and players) need to do a reality check :)

I get this on FM2011. A player on £9k a week suddenly wants £140k a week and won't accept anything lower. I can't have the private chat to lower the wage demands, greyed out.

Player with 15+ attributes for finishing and composure gets a tonne of clear-cut chances but needs about 20 to score.

Player gets in great position for a shot then lightly chips it into the keeper's mitts.

Player has six or seven options for a pass, turns round, hoofs it back to the keeper.

Player is near to loose ball. Player feels comfy on the patch of grass he's already on, thank you very much. Opposition player can jolly well have it if he wants it.

Goalkeeper nicely positioned to catch easy ball. Goalkeeper teleports from upright position to lying on the ground. Thankfully holds onto the ball.

It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. It's a corner. Aaaand so on..

Opposition player commits foul. Free kick. Same player commits foul. Free kick. Same player commits foul. Free kick. One of your players commits first foul. Free kick. Yellow card.

"He's taking no chances there". Yes he is. Instead of clearing the ball or making the simple pass, he's opted for an opposition throw-in. Fairly big chance to take, if you ask me.

"Nobody considers a move for Player X viable." That would be the player I'm offering for £0 and hasn't played in two years?

"Club X would have to reduce its wage bill before making a move for Player X". So you're telling me that, despite my team being quite a big club and therefore having the odd decent player who isn't needed, there isn't a single club in the football world with the capacity to offer him the modest wages he wants?

"Player X shouldn't be taking throw-ins. A better choice would be Player Y".

Player X is my right back, though. Full-backs always take throw-ins except if you have a long-throw expert, and he only takes them high enough up the pitch for there to be a point.

Two things, histories and positions.

Histories first, not so bad this year but still annoying when it crops up: things in the wrong order especially, also if you release a player a couple of days after the season update day, that player will forever retain history for that new season (with 0 apps and goals).

Secondly, positions. Prime example, my current reserve left-back. He's natural in that position but then awkward at wing-back and completely unable to play centre-back. Add to that being right-footed and his left-foot is shocking - and yes you guessed it, he can't play right-back. Also DM's that can't play MC and AMRL's that can't play MRL annoy me too.

Archived