Small, otherwise insignificant things which annoy you

The backroom advice are mostly random.

I know, as are the assistant manager's comments when you send him to press conferences. He says things like a certain play will be rested due to tiredness even though the player's fitness is 96% and match fitness 100%.

I often get players reacting badly to recent manager comment due to the ass man's comments in press conferences.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superstars (Ronaldo, Messi, Gómez...) in non active leagues play around 10 league matches a season and don't participate in any domestic cup games. And than Messi becomes world footballer of the year despite taking part in grand total of 11 league games (no Barcelona did not win CL and Argentina failed miserably once again during WC)!

Accidently pressing match report or upload highlights and having to wait the engine to generate the data. A confirm button required. unacceptable if not added!!!

Pointless animations on the match engine. Why do I need to see a physio dot (I play in 2d mode) come on for an injury? That one I can live with, but why have the subs warming up randomly?

I wouldn't mind if the sub warming up was about to come on..in fact I'd WELCOME that...

Me: Hey, Assistant, we're coming up against (side with crap defence) soon, can you compile a report?

Assistant: Sure!

3 days later...

"I recommend that we focus on attacking movement to capitalise on the defensive vulnerabilities of the opponent"

The next week...

Me: Hey, we're coming up against (team with the four best defenders in the world) next match, get me a report!

Assistant: Absolutely!

3 days later...

"I recommend that we focus on attacking movement to capitalise on the defensive vulnerabilities of the opponent"

Seeing the same advice time and time again infuriates me. I know that isn't the exact wording, but you guys must know what I mean.

The press: so Nellie who do you think will be (young) player/golden boot/Player of the year.

Me: Well Mr journalist, I've been very impressed with <player> becoming a first team regular at 19 and scoring nearly 50 goals in his debut season must make him a shoe in for play..... Or apparently this 20 year old defender I've never heard of with an average rating of 6.76 across the 5 appearences he made and his several equally anonymous mates. I had them all scouted just in case I missed something obvious but they do indeed all appear to be so bad I wouldn't even loan them to my feeder club out of spite so I guess I'm going to have to go with "no comment"

Me: Hey, Assistant, we're coming up against (side with crap defence) soon, can you compile a report?

Assistant: Sure!

3 days later...

The next week...

Me: Hey, we're coming up against (team with the four best defenders in the world) next match, get me a report!

Assistant: Absolutely!

3 days later...

Seeing the same advice time and time again infuriates me. I know that isn't the exact wording, but you guys must know what I mean.

Exactly the reason why I don't use assistant reports on future opponents. They are useless unless you are a tactic freak, and if you are a tactic freak, then you don't need an assistant report, because it does not help you much anyway - you do the research and scouting yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I am sooooo looking forward to hear from my scout how a certain talented youngster did in the last match for his loan club. Waiting excitedly for the report, which reads

"...had a miserable game mainly due to his inability to win headers"

... which is a strange thing to say considering that he is a 160cm tall creative winger, and that he went into 1 aerial challenge in the match and lost it. Nevermind that he was the best player for his team which played badly because they lost to a better team.

Yep, very helpful indeed.

I've only just stumbled on this thread and I'm at work, I wish I had the time to read through it all now as I'm laughing every other comment.

One annoying thing I've noticed recently is the sheer number of my players who apparently "is having trouble motivating himself to play for you due to your low reputation". (this is on the "match reports" section of the reports tab on the player profile).

It's just unrealistic. I took over Plymouth Argyle, penniless having come out of administration, very few decent pros and all youngsters, massively in debt, expected to bravely struggle in League 2, and I get us promoted in 2nd place. I then steer us to a safe mid table (10th place) in league one, reach the FA Cup quarter finals scraping past 3 lower-Prem teams before losing to Chelsea 1-0, despite being favourites for relegation and with one of the lowest wage budgets. The board are very pleased with me, the fans spokesman says the fans are behind me - yet the majority of my players, hardly any of whom have any reputation themselves, even including those who were integral parts of my promotion season, are having trouble motivating themselves due to my low reputation. Having previously not been paid for months and knowing that a bad manager could ruin the club and their livelihoods, they'd be loving me IRL, thanks to me they're all playing at a higher level and doubling their wages come contract time. But that doesn't count, no, it's my reputation silly. Makes me feel like sacking all the ungrateful gits!

The most annoying thing and the biggest source of wasting time is when you have to propose a player to be sold.

If the player is quite weak you have to " send faxes " every day and only after months someone eventually come offering 3 cents.

It is mandatory IMO, to avoid to waste time, an automated task but just for the players specified by me, a feature that is not covered I guess from the Director of Football.

-Backroom advise that tell me to drop my 4-star keeper due to poor performance, while my only alternative is a half-star younster.

-Backroom advise recommending worthless coaches or scouts (ie PA and PP below 5) who would be excellent additions to the staff.

-news that rolls through while processing concerning totally random, worldspreading, unsignificant results or transfers, like some kid being transferred from one hongkong club to another, or the result of Bahrein-U19's - Oman-U19's.

-having to vote for the world player of the year while I am but a mediocre manager in the danish 3rd tier.

-I've stopped asking my assistant to take the press conference as he only talks total rubbish (although he has reasonable stats).

-hitting the cross-bar 8 times, every once in 4 games.

-having a goalkeeper rush out to easily intercept a (too) long pass, but suddenly stop in his tracks near the box-line to allow the striker to get to the ball and score.

-being a successful manager in a particular country, getting promoted and such, but never getting any interest from other clubs in that country, not even from similar level or even lower level clubs. I've been promoted in Denmark, and pushing for another promotion, all with almost zero budget, but not the slightest interest what so ever. This actually annoys me the most, as I like a nice journeyman career in which I dont have to apply myself but get asked spontanously to manage a club due to my good performances at another club. Since FM10 I havent been asked to take a job without me actively applying for the job. Not really good for this topic I imagine, this is not very insignificant to me.

Archived