From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

The problem is that my tactics are really basic and I rely heavily on bringing in better players than my opposition. I just don't think I'd stand a chance in a youth only scenario form the start.

There's nothing wrong with basic tactics though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's nothing wrong with basic tactics though.

True, but I've always stuck to one tactic and then brought in players who suit it. Starting with youth only would mean I would really need to tailor my tactics to fit the players at my disposal, which is something I've never been able to do.

My main strengths in FM are squad building and transfers, I'm not quite sure if I could survive without those from the start.

True, but I've always stuck to one tactic and then brought in players who suit it. Starting with youth only would mean I would really need to tailor my tactics to fit the players at my disposal, which is something I've never been able to do.

My main strengths in FM are squad building and transfers, I'm not quite sure if I could survive without those from the start.

You can only not do what you limit yourself not to do. I'll give you a tip compact formations work the best followed by balanced and rigid tactics are good in the lower leagues.

Have you thought about managing one of the russian teams based in asia?

I think i'm going to try that in 2013.

Luch Energia Vladivostok are a team I've always wanted to manage. Imagine winning the Champions League with a team that can see Japan on a clear day... In fact, just imagine the news reports that mention the 'x mile round trip' for away games... :eek:

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2079/80

Last season we won the Champions League, so we were hoping to start another run of consecutive wins.

League Table

We threw a few silly games away, but we still dominated the league.

Domestic Cups - just the one loss, which was due to players missing on international duty.

UEFA Super Cup - no problems in a one sided match.

FIFA Club World Cup - another trophy with another one sided match.

UEFA Champions League - we flew through the group stage but stuttered in the knockout rounds. A bad defeat in the San Siro ended our run.

Glentoran in Europe - it was a great season for Glentoran with a few superb wins.

Tobermore in Europe - an amazing first result, but it all went downhill from there.

Linfield in Europe - a reasonable season, but the home defeat to Leverkusen was poor.

Ballymena in Europe - much like Tobermore, they started well but fell apart.

Squad - the squad rebuild is complete now, which means the team should be good enough for the next few years.

Transfers - a few players were replaced for big profits.

Premiership Transfers - Glentoran continue to spend.

Key Player Profiles:

Ferreirinha - top scorer again, but not an amazing total for this league.

Abdallah Nahimana - a stunning season from the midfielder.

Josh Cunnington - had a great season as the supporting striker.

Ignacio Castaño - a decent season for the winger.

Laurent David - solid as ever.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2028/29   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2030/31   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2031/32   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2032/33   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2033/34   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2034/35   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2035/36   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2036/37   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Europa League winners
2037/38   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2038/39   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2039/40   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2040/41   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2041/42   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2043/44   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, CWC and Champions League winners
2044/45   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2045/46   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, and Champions League winners
2046/47   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and CWC winners
2047/48   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2048/49   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2049/50   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2050/51   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2051/52   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster,  League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2052/53   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster,  League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2053/54   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster,  League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2054/55   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster,  League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2055/56   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, NextGen, Mid-Ulster,  Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2056/57   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2057/58   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2058/59   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership,  Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2059/60   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership,  Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2060/61   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership,  Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2061/62   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2062/63   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2063/64   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2064/65   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2065/66   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2066/67   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2067/68   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners
2068/69   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Irish Cup winners, Champions League finalists
2069/70   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League Cup and Champions League winners
2070/71   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2071/72   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2072/73   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2073/74   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2074/75   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup, CWC and Champions League winners
2075/76   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners, Champions League finalists
2076/77   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish Cup winners, Champions League finalists
2077/78   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2078/79   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and Champions League winners
2079/80   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, League, Irish, Setanta Cup and CWC winners

Next Season

With the lack of competition from the other Northern Irish clubs, we've left ourselves with just the Champions League to aim for. Being cut to two spots is going to be terrible for the country with Glentoran missing out.

Reputation and Coefficients

Carling Premiership - 9th in European competitions (3.5 stars) - down 3

Northern Ireland - 7th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Northern Ireland - 69th in FIFA rankings - up 1

Bourneview - 1st in UEFA coefficients - no change

Glentoran - 16th in UEFA coefficients - down 5

Linfield - 46th in UEFA coefficients - no change

Newry - 69th in UEFA coefficients - up 3

Tobermore United - 41st in UEFA coefficients - up 12

Ballymena United - 56th in UEFA coefficients - up 2

What's your formation, if it's not a problem for you to share? I'm not asking on details, just is it 4-4-2, 4-5-1, etc... also, did you play with one formation throughout the whole career?

4-4-2, with the central midfielders moved to DM and AMC. A 4-4-2 wide diamond I think it is called.

I actually created this tactic on the FM11 demo and I've been using it since.

I've abandoned killymoon in my NI save. They won the champions league a good number of times but the board annoyed me so much i said i'd resign if they didn't do what i wanted. They didn't so off i go!

As probably the highest rated manager in the game at the moment, Colwyn Bay are very happy that i'm going to take them back to the Championship at the first time of asking! :D

Have you had to resort to demanding stuff or has your board been quite accommodating dafuge?

I only scout players who are under 22 and worth more than £500k, which narrows down my scouting to around 3000 potential players. I'm obviously missing out on the older players, but by narrowing down my searches it seems to be a lot more effective.

I also have 26 scouts which helps :D

So how many players do you ask each scout to report on at any one time (using the little arrows on the left i think), there is a limit isn’t there?

If you have 3000 players and 10 scouts (as opposed to your 26) that would be 300 reports each!

So how many players do you ask each scout to report on at any one time (using the little arrows on the left i think), there is a limit isn’t there?

If you have 3000 players and 10 scouts (as opposed to your 26) that would be 300 reports each!

I keep them busy and scout players regularly, so usually there's just a few hundred to split between them each time. I'd never need to scout everyone at once.

I keep them busy and scout players regularly, so usually there's just a few hundred to split between them each time. I'd never need to scout everyone at once.

how do you narrow it down on the first day of the season or when starting at a new club? Ive just started in League 2 and have 3 scouts and there are thousands of u21s. The only way i can think to narrow it down is by position, i.e if looking for a striker i set a minimum of 10 for off the ball. obviously this will miss some players but i just dont have the scouts to trawl through every player. it also means you have to do different searches for different positions.

how do you narrow it down on the first day of the season or when starting at a new club? Ive just started in League 2 and have 3 scouts and there are thousands of u21s. The only way i can think to narrow it down is by position, i.e if looking for a striker i set a minimum of 10 for off the ball. obviously this will miss some players but i just dont have the scouts to trawl through every player. it also means you have to do different searches for different positions.

At smaller clubs I usually look for unattached under 21s, scouting the ones I can and giving trials to any foreign players that turn up in my player search.

The very first season is always tough as I don't have the time to get my scouts working, so there's always a few dodgy signings and players missed out on.

Bravo mate. I always seem to get less attached when all of the real players dissapear from the game, including most of the real managers.

Does this affect you at all or not reallY?

I actually prefer the fake players, as I know that no one else will be managing them meaning there is no way for me to find out how good they could really be.

I like it when the managers you are competing with are regens that you managed as players :cool:

At smaller clubs I usually look for unattached under 21s, scouting the ones I can and giving trials to any foreign players that turn up in my player search.

The very first season is always tough as I don't have the time to get my scouts working, so there's always a few dodgy signings and players missed out on.

Ok, you don’t filter by attribute then, just as many U21 players who are realistic targets as possible?

And as for scouting at lower levels, there is no magic other than sending scouts to look at U21 players in scoutable nations if i remember correctly?

Ok, you don’t filter by attribute then, just as many U21 players who are realistic targets as possible?

And as for scouting at lower levels, there is no magic other than sending scouts to look at U21 players in scoutable nations if i remember correctly?

I don't tend to filter them by attribute, unless I'm really desperate to sign a player quickly.

Trialling players is worth doing in the lower leagues, you can usually get the odd foreign player in on trial to have a look at him.

I think there are factors that can hold a country back. For NI it seemed to be money. With no TV money there wasn't much room for improvement in the amount of income that the smaller clubs could get their hands on.

I think we could have got to number one if we had TV money like the Premier League.

Just caught up with this over the last few days, utterly amazing thread. Well done dayfuge, this has clearly taken an immense commitment on your part, great achievement to get the other NI clubs winning European trophies, just a shame they are now tailing off.

How many hours a day are you investing in this?

Archived