The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didnt play that bad today, cant see Brighton being in the top 6 come the end but had some great individual performances - Noone and Bridcutt in particular.

The problem with our team is that we have an inept Manager who has absolutely no plan B, and our plan A is massively flawed. Our subs were totally wrong, we took off our 2 best players and brought on Stead and chucked him in at left wing and Pitman who was stuck in midfield. I have no idea what this man is doing to my team.

Absolutely hideous reporting by the BBC:

Martyn Waghorn and Ryan Bennett had Peterborough's best chances but neither could make them count.

On-loan Leicester striker Waghorn had an opportunity to give Peterborough the lead, but his effort was palmed onto the bar by goalkeeper Paul Jones

We didnt play that bad today, cant see Brighton being in the top 6 come the end but had some great individual performances - Noone and Bridcutt in particular.

The problem with our team is that we have an inept Manager who has absolutely no plan B, and our plan A is massively flawed. Our subs were totally wrong, we took off our 2 best players and brought on Stead and chucked him in at left wing and Pitman who was stuck in midfield. I have no idea what this man is doing to my team.

I couldn't go, but as soon as the nice man on Soccer Saturday said that we were pushing for a goal I knew what was going to happen.

We are now the only side who haven't scored a home goal yet this season. Which is almost certainly down to Millen's negativity.

Fair enough, you are right about that game last season. We were the top scorers in the division over the second half of last season though, just couldn't defend to save our lives. Same problem so far this season as well, I never doubt our ability to be able score goals under SGE, it's stopping the other team scoring that worries me.

The problem is we have some great strikers, why not play to your strengths and play 2 up. Maynard cant do the job on his own and everyone can see that.

I thought that was what we bought Stead and Taylor for.

We also clearly have a surplus of wingers, and playing them all at once leads to teams getting around the back of us too easily. From what I heard Adomah was poor and Campbell-Ryce had his moments. But the fact remains that neither of them can defend worth sh*t.

I'd go for a 433 at home and a 451 away, but not playing Maynard. Because surely Millen must realise that lumping the ball in the direction of a guy like that who lacks energy and ability in the air is a bad policy and just leads to isolation, closely followed by humiliation...

Feeling thoroughly despondent after a dismal performance from the clarets today. Keep playing like that and we'll be closer to the relegation places than the play-offs. Not to take anything away from Boro, though. I thought they were excellent. An absolute textbook away performance. Hopefully we can strengthen our squad in the coming loan window, otherwise we might be in trouble.

Yeah, the less said about yesterdays performance the better.

Shocking performance, our youthful team is lacking a couple of expeirenced heads!

Well done to Boro though, what an outfit they have turned into under Mowbray.

Our problem is that we're monumentally pants. It's now 6 months and 9 days (or 18 games) since we last won. I'm finding football pretty miserable at the minute, bring on League One where we might be half decent.

Looking at your location and winless run, I assume you support Doncaster?

You've had awfull luck with injuries though, maybe if you can get all your players back and regulary playing you'll shoot up the table. :thup:

Is Billy Sharp still injured?

I'm finding football pretty miserable at the minute

Are you no longer trying to play the Barcelona passing style football no more? I remember it wasn't that long ago, that you were being dubbed the 'Arsenal' of the Championship and passing teams of the pitch. (Back when Arsenal were doing well and challenging for the Premier League :D)

Looking at your location and winless run, I assume you support Doncaster?

You've had awfull luck with injuries though, maybe if you can get all your players back and regulary playing you'll shoot up the table. :thup:

Is Billy Sharp still injured?

Are you no longer trying to play the Barcelona passing style football no more? I remember it wasn't that long ago, that you were being dubbed the 'Arsenal' of the Championship and passing teams of the pitch. (Back when Arsenal were doing well and challenging for the Premier League :D)

True. We have had an almost ridiculous amount of injuries since around late January last year which have hit us pretty hard, especially as a club our size will always struggle to compete at the best of times, nevermind having 14 players out injured like last season. We also rely heavily on Sharp to provide goal threat, without him we really do struggle to score goals. He's our main man and is key to the way we play, which is why we rejected some big money bids for him in the summer.

Since the summer though I think that the injury excuse is starting to get a bit boring, we've brought in supposedly good players who add depth to the squad and also have some key players back yet we are still performing badly and lack quality in too many positions. In short we are non-existant going forward and don't look like scoring, nor do we look like keeping a clean sheet as shown with many instances of laughable defending this season.

Confidence also seems to be pretty low too, no doubt due to the poor run of form. Maybe if we get all our key players back, scrape a few wins and build up confidence then we could go on a good run that we should be capable of considering we were only 3 points off the playoffs last January before the injuries. However as each game goes by and games keep panning out exactly the same way I fear it may be too late to recover from if we are too far adrift.

As for the style of football I think it's a bit of a myth that we try to play an amazing Arsenal style or at least very exaggerated by the media (and the chairman trying to drum up support). Don't get me wrong we do try to pass the ball around more than your average team but I would describe the football as 'neat', passing football but not overly attack minded. It's great to watch though when confidence is high and we win games, probably the best football I'll see. However when things are going badly it's so frustrating to watch, afterall if you lose most games and don't create chances then it isn't entertaining no matter what style of football is being played.

You're a Burnley fan right? How's another ex-Bournemouth manager doing for you? Big things were expected of him given his record at Bournemouth so I'm fairly surprised that you're seemingly not doing too well.

True. We have had an almost ridiculous amount of injuries since around late January last year which have hit us pretty hard, especially as a club our size will always struggle to compete at the best of times, nevermind having 14 players out injured like last season. We also rely heavily on Sharp to provide goal threat, without him we really do struggle to score goals. He's our main man and is key to the way we play, which is why we rejected some big money bids for him in the summer.

Since the summer though I think that the injury excuse is starting to get a bit boring, we've brought in supposedly good players who add depth to the squad and also have some key players back yet we are still performing badly and lack quality in too many positions. In short we are non-existant going forward and don't look like scoring, nor do we look like keeping a clean sheet as shown with many instances of laughable defending this season.

Confidence also seems to be pretty low too, no doubt due to the poor run of form. Maybe if we get all our key players back, scrape a few wins and build up confidence then we could go on a good run that we should be capable of considering we were only 3 points off the playoffs last January before the injuries. However as each game goes by and games keep panning out exactly the same way I fear it may be too late to recover from if we are too far adrift.

As for the style of football I think it's a bit of a myth that we try to play an amazing Arsenal style or at least very exaggerated by the media (and the chairman trying to drum up support). Don't get me wrong we do try to pass the ball around more than your average team but I would describe the football as 'neat', passing football but not overly attack minded. It's great to watch though when confidence is high and we win games, probably the best football I'll see. However when things are going badly it's so frustrating to watch, afterall if you lose most games and don't create chances then it isn't entertaining no matter what style of football is being played.

You're a Burnley fan right? How's another ex-Bournemouth manager doing for you? Big things were expected of him given his record at Bournemouth so I'm fairly surprised that you're seemingly not doing too well.

I can't claim to know everything about Doncaster Rovers, but I've spoken to a few people when I've been around the Keepmoat over the past few months, and they're all of the opinion that John Ryan and Sean O'Driscoll have barely spoken since Sheffield United were denied the opportunity to talk to O'Driscoll last season. I don't know how true it is, but there is definitely something else other than the injuries that is causing a lack of confidence and cohesion.

I thought that was what we bought Stead and Taylor for.

We also clearly have a surplus of wingers, and playing them all at once leads to teams getting around the back of us too easily. From what I heard Adomah was poor and Campbell-Ryce had his moments. But the fact remains that neither of them can defend worth sh*t.

I'd go for a 433 at home and a 451 away, but not playing Maynard. Because surely Millen must realise that lumping the ball in the direction of a guy like that who lacks energy and ability in the air is a bad policy and just leads to isolation, closely followed by humiliation...

We have to play Stead or Taylor if we are playing 1 up front, your correct there. Maynard looked very pissed off today, he cant hold the ball up and wants the ball in behind the defence - yet we still play the ball to his feet with his back to goal. He walked off down the tunnel straight away yesterday, didnt acknowledge the crowd or any of the players.

well, having seen the extended highlights on the forest site, it doesnt look like davis even touched the ball ( though the angle is not the best ), dunno why davis didnt just kick it away, but it looked to me like derbyshire nicked the ball off him with his first touch, davis went diving for the ball and derbyshire dragged it backwards ( or davies got a hand to it, this bit isnt clear ) then whilst davies was on the floor, he took derbyshire down with his legs, possibly accidentally, whilst derbyshire was going for the ball that he had just dragged back/been knocked away.

the miller one in the first half again the angle was the wrong one to see if fox or miller got the ball, but it looks like fox took miller out to me, connolly looked offside when he got the ball to put in the cross for your second, though lambert wasnt offside, derbyshire looked as if he was bundled over for our second appeal and the free kick that led to the winner was incredibly soft ( and he gave soft free kicks to you around our area a lot )

well, having seen the extended highlights on the forest site, it doesnt look like davis even touched the ball ( though the angle is not the best ), dunno why davis didnt just kick it away, but it looked to me like derbyshire nicked the ball off him with his first touch, davis went diving for the ball and derbyshire dragged it backwards ( or davies got a hand to it, this bit isnt clear ) then whilst davies was on the floor, he took derbyshire down with his legs, possibly accidentally, whilst derbyshire was going for the ball that he had just dragged back/been knocked away.

Good analysis, but the way how Derbyshire went down helped Davis get away with it. There wasn't nearly enough of contact to go down like he did.

connolly looked offside when he got the ball to put in the cross for your second

No he wasn't. The rule isn't "when he got the ball", it is "when the ball is played to him".

When the pass to Connolly was made, Gunter and Morgan in the middle were playing him onside.

Screenshot2011-09-11at172702.png

And for those Forest fans that think Lambert was offside for the second, this is just after Lallana heads it to Lambert...

Screenshot2011-09-11at171654.png

cms186 you are as bad as Steve McLaren for poor excuses and seeing things that didn't happen! ;)

I know the rule thanks, you know exactly what i meant, of the forest players in the middle, chambers ( closest to him ) is definitly not playing him on, Gunter ( furthest from him ) is definitly not playing him on, and Morgan ( middle guy ) is in my opinion, just behind him. I didnt say lambert was offside and i doubt any whove seen replays think he was now either, connlolly looks like he was, but thats par for the course when you get a Homer ref i guess :/

i note you dont take issue with any of my other comments, but then youre as bad as anyone for latching onto one debateable thing and ignoring anything else that you cant argue. its not poor excuses when a good performance has been rendered meaningless by cowardly refereeing

Oh, and its cms186 ;)

I know the rule thanks, you know exactly what i meant, of the forest players in the middle, chambers ( closest to him ) is definitly not playing him on, Gunter ( furthest from him ) is definitly not playing him on, and Morgan ( middle guy ) is in my opinion, just behind him. I didnt say lambert was offside and i doubt any whove seen replays think he was now either, connlolly looks like he was, but thats par for the course when you get a Homer ref i guess :/

The offside call has little to do with the referee, it was the call of the linesman. Connolly looks onside to me.

i note you dont take issue with any of my other comments, but then youre as bad as anyone for latching onto one debateable thing and ignoring anything else that you cant argue. its not poor excuses when a good performance has been rendered meaningless by cowardly refereeing

Your other comments are about the penalty/dive by Derbyshire. Until we see the multi-angle highlights on Saints player later in the week we won't know. Certainly not clear cut as I have seen a number of those connected to Forest call it.

From the only view we have seen so far (from a camera on the halfway line) it is impossible to know. Again the man that made the call was the linesman and not the referee. McLaren was miles away from it so wouldn't have seen it well enough, the BBC Nottingham radio position is miles away from the incident and the linesman was very close to it. Derbyshire did go down very theatrically which didn't help him even if he was caught by Davis.

championship was so much better last year when we didnt have people posting ****ing pictures of contentious decisions and all you had to do to get a decent conversation (alright, argument) in here was to mildly insinuate that cardiff weren't exactly whiter than white at some point in the last 10 years.

nowadays we get chrissy boone and his cut and paste tool. yaaaawn.

mind if warnett was still around i guess this thread would explode into some kind of cardiff/southampton nightmare.

The only thing I picked up from these pictures is the emptiness of the ground. Giving the away team lots of tickets and hoping they sell out is not an excuse either.. I guess they'll only turn up when it's certain you're going up' date=' like last season? ;)[/quote']

You realise he'll come back with some attendance figures from around the division/country/world (whichever one makes us look best) now don't you?

The only thing I picked up from these pictures is the emptiness of the ground. Giving the away team lots of tickets and hoping they sell out is not an excuse either.. I guess they'll only turn up when it's certain you're going up' date=' like last season? ;)[/quote']

*bites*

The second picture with lots of empty seats is of the away end. Of course there will be empty seats even in the home end, how many Championship clubs would fill a 32,600 capacity stadium for every match? Let me know the next time Pompey get 24,784 for a 2nd tier game or 25,860 for a game in the 2nd tier live on TV. The last 2nd tier game at Fratton Park had 14,354 and the game before that had just 13,438. Media myth that Pompey have a loyal fanbase. ;)

*tries desperately to wriggle free of the hook, but fails and ends up at the local chippy*

Also wasn't the game on TV against Leeds who always bring massive away followings?

What is your point?

22,763 home fans at that game, with 3,097 Leeds fans. Making 25,860 in total.

Nearly 23k home fans is a huge amount in the 2nd tier, for a game live on TV and during the holiday season. It was a bigger attendance than West Ham vs Cardiff at Upton Park that weekend.

Not that I'm obsessed with attendances... ;):D

Well was just wondering cause Leeds brought 6.5k when we played them last season which made a big difference to the attendance! Believe it was 29k overall.

Really don't think 23k home fans is a huge amount in the 2nd tier tbh. It's a big amount yeah but it's not huge.

How many did Newcastle average in this League?

Edit: it was 44k on a Friday night match, against Cardiff.

They also had 43k on a Tuesday night against Sheff Wed, 47k on a Monday night tv game against Derby, 43k on a match against Doncaster, 45k against Nottm Forest, 48k against Sheff Utd, 52k against Ipswich, 47k against Blackpool.

Now that's impressive. :D

Watch this from 19 minutes and you can see that Derbyshire dives. Davis doesn't touch him at all and does get the ball.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/player/LatestNews/0,,10280,00.html

How many did Newcastle average in this League?

Edit: it was 44k on a Friday night match, against Cardiff.

They also had 43k on a Tuesday night against Sheff Wed, 47k on a Monday night tv game against Derby, 43k on a match against Doncaster, 45k against Nottm Forest, 48k against Sheff Utd, 52k against Ipswich, 47k against Blackpool.

Now that's impressive. :D

45k against us was a monday night on tv as well

Watch this from 19 minutes and you can see that Derbyshire dives. Davis doesn't touch him at all and does get the ball.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/player/LatestNews/0,,10280,00.html

no it doesnt ffs :D its exactly like i said, davis touched the ball away, derbyshire went after the ball and davies legs take him out, not deliberatly, but that doesnt stop it being a penalty

also shows there was very little contact for your free kick that led to your 3rd so i stand by what i said, the ref was utter *****

Archived