The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Rumour that Clayton was asking for 15k. Transfer listing may simply be a matter of Warnock playing hard ball. And if he goes, it will raise funds for other areas of the squad. Out of our key players, he's probably the most dispensable as well. I still don't want him to leave but I'll trust Warnock and won't act like it's the end of the world like some fans are on Twitter.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way we're getting £8million for Jay Rod. I'd guess five at the absolute maximum. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing him at Everton if he does have to leave.
Yeah, I can't see anyone offering £8million for a championship player (as good as he may be,) let alone Everton

Oh yeah, without a doubt we won't get anywhere near £8 million for him. That's the Sun for you...

I reckon we will get around £3.5 million for him, I'd be chuffed if we could get £4 mil (going into his final year, and unproven at Premier League level).

We got £6.5 million pluss add ons for Fletcher, who was proven at the Premier League from the season before.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him off to Celtic and we get Hooper. Can't see Everton splashing out another 5 million on a striker again anytime soon.

I'd like to think he wants to further his career.. not play in the SPL. ;)

Although, he would get a chance of getting knocked out early on in Europe, still a bit of playing in Europe experience for him.

I can't see anyone offering £8million for a championship player

- Bale £10m

- Walcott £12m

- Oxlade-Chamberlain £15m (and he hadn't even played a Championship game when he was sold)

btw that doesn't mean I think Jay Rodriguez will go for £8m, especially with only a year left on his contract.

It is still the potential value of the transfer, few are done completely upfront these days. Any deal for Rodriguez is also unlikely to be all upfront. If anyone did offer £8m for Rodriguez it would likely be broken down like the Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain deals were.

yeah i realised that - but how old is jay-rod?

22, which of course is older than the three I mentioned when they were sold and would have an impact on price. Still young though and scored a lot of league goals this year for a mid table side, England under 21 international and in the Championship PFA team of the year, he has done very well. Main main point was there is no reason why a Championship player couldn't go for over £8m, it has happened before.

I thought Rodriguez was about 24 for some reason as well

Nah, he never broke into the first team untill last season. (2010-11)

He was used very rarely as a sub during our promotion season (2008-09) although he was more known for his goals in the Carling Cup that season, coming of the bench and scoring vital goals that saw us go all the way to the semi finals and lose to Spurs after extra time (despite leading on away goals at full time :mad::thdn:)

Premier League season (2009-10) he never got a game, and spent a short loan spell at Barnsley. :D

Back in the Championship (2010-11), he was not in the team for the first few games of the season.. he was on the bench, untill he scored a last minute winner in a 4-3 win against Preston. Then Laws had him in the team ever since (mainly on the left wing though) and we've never looked back.

Eddie Howe brought even more out of him, scored some wonderful goals since Howe has been here.

Yeah, I think our promotion sort of came at the wrong time for Jay Rod. He was just starting to break into the team that season, and I think he would have played a lot in the following season had we been in the Championship rather than the Premier League.

Yeah, I think our promotion sort of came at the wrong time for Jay Rod. He was just starting to break into the team that season, and I think he would have played a lot in the following season had we been in the Championship rather than the Premier League.

Yeah, couldn't agree more with that.

That goal in our 5-0 win over Nott'm Forest towards the end of our promotion season, is still my favourite Rodriguez goal.

Totally does the right back (Chris Gunter I think) with a step over then another step over while cutting it back, then curls it past the keeper into the top corner from outside the box. :cool:

Is Church any good?

I think so, bit of a scapegoat amongst the fans here though. Was our top scorer for most of the season but a lot of his goals were tap ins (except one brilliant finish against Leeds). We signed him as a 15 year old and released Charlie Austin so that could be... interesting.

Still a bit pointless coming out with it now. Maybe I'm just a little cynical having had Peter Storrie give us 1001 reasons to renew our season tickets and then we do' date=' and then the promises never happen.[/quote']

I'm inclined to agree with you tbh. All a load of tosh that owners always come out with to sell tickets.

west ham fans confident?

Not sure about confident, but definitely calm. We dominated you away in March so I'd fancy us to do the same really, 0-2 my prediction. I couldnt go to the last game so it's my first return to Wales since the Gerrard final :(

Apparently Fulham are set to start the bidding off with an offer higher than £5 million offer for Rodriguez.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley_fc/news/9685674.Fulham_set_to_raise_the_stakes_with_second_bid_for_Cla/

It says they have already had an offer rejected, I must have missed that. (unless they are getting Fulham confused with Southampton?)

Although it says "But Fulham have been the most proactive in terms of offers at the moment, although the situation is changing daily" so it could have happened this week.

JAY Rodriguez is set to be at the centre of a Premier League bidding war – with Fulham ready to raise the stakes.

The Cottagers have already had a £5million offer turned down by Burnley, who have set a minimum £8m pricetag on their sought-after striker.

Fulham, managed by Martin Jol, are not yet expected to meet the Clarets’ demands. But I under-stand the London club is gearing up to make a fresh bid, as compe-tition for Rodriguez’s signature intensifies.

At least five top flight teams, plus Scottish Premier League champions Celtic, were chasing the Turf Moor top scorer at the start of the week.

Since then the list of serious suitors has grown, with Championship title winners Reading keen to add him to their ranks as they prepare for a return to the top flight.

Championship play-off semi-finalists Cardiff have also joined Newcastle, Norwich, Bolton and newly promoted Southampton in the hunt for the 22-year-old.

Rodriguez is reported to be wanted by Everton too.

But Fulham have been the most proactive in terms of offers at the moment, although the situation is changing daily.

Newcastle made a tentative enquiry in January, while Southampton had a bid of at least £5million knocked back last summer, just months after manager Eddie Howe succeeded in securing the England Under 21 cap on a new two-year deal.

With a year left to run on that contract, the Clarets are refusing to be rushed into doing business with any team at this stage.

Similarly, Rodriguez will be advised to take his time over any decision he makes.

The Burnley-born striker seemingly has his pick of clubs, and is unlikely to make his mind up until later in the summer.

Also says at the bottom, that Brighton have been put off Marney because of his wages.

Meanwhile, Brighton have been priced out of a move for Dean Marney.

The midfielder was being tracked by the south coast club.

But the Seagulls are understood to have been put off by the former Hull City player’s wages.

I wonder what wages Laws gave Iwelumo, Grant, Cort aswell. (the club couldn't wait to get Fox of the wagebill either)

Can't wait for tonight, love watching the Championship playoffs. :cool:

Alot of people I've talked to, fancy Blackpool to go up through them.

Not sure though, over 2 games, it will be tough against Chris Hougton's Birmingham. I think whoever wins in the Blackpool Brum game, will go up.

Mon Cardiff :cool:

Sammy Clingan has rejected a new contract so he'll be off, whilst Danny Ireland and Freddy Eastwood will be released. Clive Platt and Martin Cranie have been offered new contracts, I don't expect Cranie to sign but apparently he's considering it. Whilst there is no new on the Herminator.

Whoever signs Clingan will go down. Just look at his history :D

Seeing a load of Cov fans angry at us giving Platt a 1 year deal as potentially a backup/on cheap wages, they do realise that if we don't re-sign him then the club will have only 1 striker and no funds to sign a new one (not to mention we're still in a transfer embargo)? The guy is a handful in the air and whilst he wont score any goals we can hardly be picky at the moment and we need to keep as many experienced players as we can.

Didn't he do well in League One a few seasons ago? I know that was when he could move, but he could be decent for you next season. It all went downhill for Clingan when he left us. It doesn't mean I want him back though. I wouldn't mind us trying to sin Cranie though if the funds were there and the wages were right. How old is he? He's quite young isn't he? So would any club wanting to sign him have to pay compensation?

Any Leeds fans heard anything about Brian Easton?

A friend told me that he's heard he's been on trial with Leeds.. very average player, but I guess Leeds could match the sort of wages he was getting with us. (signed in the Premier League)

Didn't he do well in League One a few seasons ago? I know that was when he could move, but he could be decent for you next season. It all went downhill for Clingan when he left us. It doesn't mean I want him back though. I wouldn't mind us trying to sin Cranie though if the funds were there and the wages were right. How old is he? He's quite young isn't he? So would any club wanting to sign him have to pay compensation?

Clive Platt is now 35 tbf. He's certainly got going to be playing every game but I see no reason he can't do what Steve Howard did for Leicester a few years back and we just need some depth anyway. Giving him a contract makes total sense apart from to the idiot cov fans it seems who're talking about forming a new club (FC United style) :rolleyes:.

Clingan is a perfectly good player at this level and showed it for us in past seasons but he was woeful this season after being given the captains armband and when the chips are down he just doesn't perform. Didn't seem to give much of a rats ass if we stayed up or not either.

Cranie is 25 now so he'd just be on a free transfer, is a very good championship defender so would be excellent in League 1 if we do keep him.

25, I thought he was 23. I wouldn't mind us attempting to sign him. However, I don't think we will and should we keep Chambers, Lynch and Lascelles, they'll probably be our first team centre backs next season. Has anyone got any club release lists yet?

Yeah we signed him 3 years ago when he was 22. Play him alongside a physical/dominant type CB and he's very good at this level, also very useful as a backup at LB/RB. Much more suited to a team that wants to play football than a long ball team, he only ever really played LB under Boothroyd and Coleman.

Also surely you need more than 3 CB's, especially as one is just a youngster. We had 6 this season and still had only Cranie fit to play against Southampton :D

A friend told me that he's heard he's been on trial with Leeds.. very average player, but I guess Leeds could match the sort of wages he was getting with us. (signed in the Premier League)

That's gotta be BS. Can't imagine any Championship team being daft enough to sign Sheena given how poorly he's performed this season. A League One player at best.

Haven't heard anything about that at all, not even on Twitter where all sorts of BS gets spouted. And if you signed him on PL wages we won't be able to match that. We've transfer listed Clayton (one of our best players) because he was looking for 15k.

Archived