FM2011 : Patching plans

Will this day 1 patch fix the "failed to run due to graphics issue" that i and many people are having by any chance...? frustrating not being able to rum the demo and not sure if i shud get the game if it may not work, i have a good game on fm10 so happy with that still but shame new one seems tricky to run....

Depends on what's causing the issue. If you're under minimum graphics spec, no. If you're having a driver issue then you can solve it yourself. We'd need to know more detail about your PC and your graphics card before answering for certain.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have any evidence that this will be a proper patch that will fix some of the major problems?

From what I can tell it will only be a small patch, with minor fixes, while the proper one will be released some months later.

For me, there needs to be two things changed, one in the ME, and one out.

ME: Players need to stop waltzing through defences before blazing the ball miles wide/high. It makes the stats ridiculous having so many Clear Cut Opportunities and so few goals.

Player interaction: There needs to be an option to say sorry to a player, or at least to avoid him from going loopy at you. THIS is a game breaker for me.

Those are the only two major problems.

All that i do know, and realize. Not taking that away from you. You deserve all the credit in the world for all that.

Then again. For me, all that is the basic minimum of standards.

You must be let down often then Roykela.

Until people understand the SDLC (google will help) and the processes that accompany it; this forum will continue to be bombarded with posts despairing at why various bugs (big and small, and some of the small ones are not even bugs when you have an editor provided) aren't being fixed, and demanding answers and patches.

Bugs are ranked in order of business priority, if it doesn't break the game, it won't be patched until time & resources allow it to be fixed.

Try and understand the complexity of the code (google this too if necessary) and then understand that it is rarely a quick turn-around for a solution.

To the people who are posting things like "have you even tested this?"...as if they have just released this straight from Dev giving the thumbs up.

I read these forums daily and the amount of constructive feedback (for which these forums were opened in the first place) is only a fraction of the total posts.

It could be worse, it could be Championship Manager.

You must be let down often then Roykela.

Not at all. Happens very seldom, to be honest.

I''m very used to that (or the equivalent in other business and products) being a minimum standard. I haven't experienced much that is less.

Even at my own job, that would be a bare minimum.

About bugs and stuff not being fixed. It just tells me that they are victims of their own success. Which is a good thing on one side, because it simply works. It's popular. Success.

On the other side, they can't keep up with the success. Not to be confused with, aren't making the game better. Because as we've seen, and know, they definitely make the game better all the time.

I just mean, it doesn't seem like they have enough resources and/or time to fix a lot of the bugs. And some of them aren't prioritized because there are other big issues.

Then they will be stuck with a few annoying bugs that'll always be there, because of the lack of time, resources, the size of the problem. Combine those, and you'll struggle.

Hope you get where i'm getting at here. If not, just give it a shout and i'll try to explain a bit better :D

that's convinced me to wait untill after christmas to buy fm11.

I also want to point out that i am pretty disappointed by this "patch schedule" at si. Scheduling patches prior to release basically means you have no intention of reacting in real time to any major bugs that may exist within the game, which essentially means that if the game is broken at release it will remain broken until it suits your schedule to fix it.

I'm not going to fork out £50 on release knowing you don't intend to resolve any issues in the game until the christmas gift rush. And i don't like that kind of support for games period. It smacks of quality being low down on the priority list.

fifty quid?!

Is it possible for you to release two data updates in January? This might sound like a stupid suggestion, but I want the benefits of any data fixes, but I would prefer not to have the transfers from the real life transfer window. I'm sure that a decent proportion of players prefer not to have transfers from mid-season in a game they're starting from the first season. I'm just thinking that it could be possible to add all transfer window changes into a second XML, so we'd have the option of playing with or without it. I don't know if this is feasible, as I don't know how the data editing actually works, but if it's at all possible, hopefully you could put on the table for the future.

Is it possible for you to release two data updates in January? This might sound like a stupid suggestion, but I want the benefits of any data fixes, but I would prefer not to have the transfers from the real life transfer window. I'm sure that a decent proportion of players prefer not to have transfers from mid-season in a game they're starting from the first season. I'm just thinking that it could be possible to add all transfer window changes into a second XML, so we'd have the option of playing with or without it. I don't know if this is feasible, as I don't know how the data editing actually works, but if it's at all possible, hopefully you could put on the table for the future.

You get a choice of databases after a patch, original and updated. (At least, that was true last year.)

Yeah. We do have a choice, but if we choose not to use the transfer update, we don't get any of the database fixes. Like fixed data errors, new players, updated attributes. Obviously it's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have a different option.

Steam updated my demo. What's that? Can you explain it to me? Is this going to change anything?

The demo update was intended for Mac users only, but due to appparently an SI oversight, it's downloading for everyone. I stopped the download as I have a pay-as-you-go dongle. Now the game won't load at all - steam won't do it until, presumably, I download the rest of a huge and unneccesary update. Can I find an option to abort the download on steam? Can I eckerslike.

Steam has been uninstalled and never will it darken my door again.

The demo update was intended for Mac users only, but due to appparently an SI oversight, it's downloading for everyone. I stopped the download as I have a pay-as-you-go dongle. Now the game won't load at all - steam won't do it until, presumably, I download the rest of a huge and unneccesary update. Can I find an option to abort the download on steam? Can I eckerslike.

Steam has been uninstalled and never will it darken my door again.

My sympathies, I have two games on Steam (no choice) I uninstalled one months ago but it still tried to d/l a huge update to it, of course you can disable auto updates but it should be opt in not out.

The other game I had to play offline for 3 weeks to ensure avoiding getting an update which had been proved likely to do more harm than good to my particular set up.

On the other hand I support anything developers can do to secure the product, so Steam is a love hate thing for me.

Not at all. Happens very seldom, to be honest.

I''m very used to that (or the equivalent in other business and products) being a minimum standard. I haven't experienced much that is less.

Even at my own job, that would be a bare minimum.

About bugs and stuff not being fixed. It just tells me that they are victims of their own success. Which is a good thing on one side, because it simply works. It's popular. Success.

On the other side, they can't keep up with the success. Not to be confused with, aren't making the game better. Because as we've seen, and know, they definitely make the game better all the time.

I just mean, it doesn't seem like they have enough resources and/or time to fix a lot of the bugs. And some of them aren't prioritized because there are other big issues.

Then they will be stuck with a few annoying bugs that'll always be there, because of the lack of time, resources, the size of the problem. Combine those, and you'll struggle.

Hope you get where i'm getting at here. If not, just give it a shout and i'll try to explain a bit better :D

No I get it fella.

I do think that SI's forums are the exception to the rule; no other forums I visit for other games I own provide this much feedback from the likes of SI/Sega; and this is often taken advantage of.

If Apple can release a phone that breaks for left handers, and Microsoft can release versions of Windows with major security breaches in them......then SI (and others) can release games with (comparatively minor)bugs in them. Exhaustive testing is not a realistic business model due to those limitations we've mentioned, nobody has enough time or resources to do this.

That said, I agree, this game is slowly being built into something special and I'm bloody excited for Friday :) I've already downloaded all the graphics and have spent hours debating what players to bring in; staff to sack and formations to try out. Hello weekend, goodbye weekend. :)

My sympathies, I have two games on Steam (no choice) I uninstalled one months ago but it still tried to d/l a huge update to it, of course you can disable auto updates but it should be opt in not out.

The other game I had to play offline for 3 weeks to ensure avoiding getting an update which had been proved likely to do more harm than good to my particular set up.

On the other hand I support anything developers can do to secure the product, so Steam is a love hate thing for me.

Agreed on the Opt In - rather than Opt Out.

Other than that, Steam is a very welcome addition to the PC I think.

Although sometimes their pricing structure goes a little mental. (£6.74 for Batman Arkham Asylum, next to £34.99 for CoD4, insane)

No I get it fella.

I do think that SI's forums are the exception to the rule; no other forums I visit for other games I own provide this much feedback from the likes of SI/Sega; and this is often taken advantage of.

If Apple can release a phone that breaks for left handers, and Microsoft can release versions of Windows with major security breaches in them......then SI (and others) can release games with (comparatively minor)bugs in them. Exhaustive testing is not a realistic business model due to those limitations we've mentioned, nobody has enough time or resources to do this.

That said, I agree, this game is slowly being built into something special and I'm bloody excited for Friday :) I've already downloaded all the graphics and have spent hours debating what players to bring in; staff to sack and formations to try out. Hello weekend, goodbye weekend. :)

Yeah. That part with Apple, Microsoft and SI....it's that mentality i probably will never accept, But i, as a user of their products, don't really give them any problem with keeping that mentality.

As i happily buy the product release after release. So the biggest criticism about that really goes to myself.

I'm not as excited this year as i was last year, but i, sure as heck, am looking forward for friday. Will be straight from work and to the store :p

Oh, and i almost forgot about your first line. There's a lot of feedback on these forums, which is great.

Not everything so constructive, but that's, unfortunately, just a part of everything.

I'm also impressed with how much SI/SEGA really comes to these forums to comment/read a lot of stuff.

Have the impression that they're a bit better than most companies. Which is great.

Some things i'll never agree with, how they're doing stuff, but they're still doing a great job.

I really can't say otherwise.

Bring on friday, and let the gaming begin :D

So there is to be a dark skin through steam. What about the thousands of people who just go along to the store and buy the game, why could there not have been a choice in preferences like last year

SI have made some fantastic improvements to the game over the last couple of years and all credit to them, however I cannot see the logic of removeing an improvement such as the dark skin from the boxed game.

Perhaps someone from SI can comment on this

So there is to be a dark skin through steam. What about the thousands of people who just go along to the store and buy the game, why could there not have been a choice in preferences like last year

SI have made some fantastic improvements to the game over the last couple of years and all credit to them, however I cannot see the logic of removeing an improvement such as the dark skin from the boxed game.

Perhaps someone from SI can comment on this

Chiiiil winstaaan, everyone will get the dark skin from the DoR patch :)

Taken from http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Exclusive-Football-Manager-2011-blog-with-Miles-Jacobson-day-18-Upcoming-patches-revealed-and-check-out-our-anti-racism-podcast-article610699.html

"But with the situation much changed at Liverpool since the game mastered, we’ve decided to do a patch on the day of release.

This patch will ensure that Liverpool now have the correct owners.

It will also provide an extra “skin” for the game, a dark version of the main skin."

Chiiiil winstaaan, everyone will get the dark skin from the DoR patch :)

Taken from http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Exclusive-Football-Manager-2011-blog-with-Miles-Jacobson-day-18-Upcoming-patches-revealed-and-check-out-our-anti-racism-podcast-article610699.html

"But with the situation much changed at Liverpool since the game mastered, we’ve decided to do a patch on the day of release.

This patch will ensure that Liverpool now have the correct owners.

It will also provide an extra “skin” for the game, a dark version of the main skin."

I understand that people will be able to get the dark skin from a patch Bren, but what about the people who do not access these forums and buy the game off the shelf.

I just cannot understand the reasoning for removing something that was obviously popular

If the dark skin wasn't in the demo and hasn't been included in the boxed version, might it be something as obvious as it not being ready on time or being harder to make? If it didn't exist to begin with in this version, SI haven't removed an option from the game. OK so I'm looking for excuses there, but they could hardly push the release date back over something like a skin if everything else was ready to go.

I understand that people will be able to get the dark skin from a patch Bren, but what about the people who do not access these forums and buy the game off the shelf.

I just cannot understand the reasoning for removing something that was obviously popular

Guys, the Dark Skin is not on box or the demo, because it wasn't ready.

Indeed, it'll be a marketing agreement put in place in order for The Mirror to gain more click-throughs and, hopefully, advert take-ups (generating higher income for The Mirror, therefore justifying the agreement)

Content exclusivity is a juicy carrot sometimes. :)

I have had a problem because everytime i attend a match my name does not come up when it say that i am in the stands watching the game and i thought it was a big problem in the demo, because i like to attend matches so that when the news come up and says that mr .................. was at the match but sometimes it does not do it and i find this a big strange about it.

Archived