FM2011 : Patching plans

OK, so i pre loaded through Steam, but I was wondering will the game be patched the same time as it unlocks. If it will I'll probably wait for midnight to play a bit, but if not I'm not going to bother until tomorow..so, SI, please tell me, don't let me be awake through midnight for nothing please!! :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point, has it been announced what time the patch will be available to download for the retail box version of the game as I thougt it is better to start a new game once patches have been installed to realise the full effect of them?

• 2 months later...
Nope. The patch is normally available some time in the last two weeks of February. It certainly won't be any earlier than that this year.

When there's news, we will announce it.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for good customer service with the hasty reply.

BR

yugular

Did you need to wait for the transfer window to close to fix all the other stuff?

Programming & bug-fixing on FM is a lot like laying dominoes randomly in a large cloud-like area on the floor. Accidentally Knock over one, and it will knock 2 or three over within reach. So you have to put them back, and in doing so, you might knock another one over in a different area. This could knock down 10 or 20. No matter how careful you are, you have to keep doing the same thing over and over until all the dominoes are standing, and everything is as good as can be.

With the team that SI has, it WILL take 2 or 3 months to sort things out, transfer window or not. And because of the transfer window, there's added data fixes, attribute tweaking and so on. With FM, think of the area of dominoes being on the floor of a aircraft hangar, that's the size of what they have to deal with due to all the permutations.

Programming & bug-fixing on FM is a lot like laying dominoes randomly in a large cloud-like area on the floor. Accidentally Knock over one, and it will knock 2 or three over within reach. So you have to put them back, and in doing so, you might knock another one over in a different area. This could knock down 10 or 20. No matter how careful you are, you have to keep doing the same thing over and over until all the dominoes are standing, and everything is as good as can be.

With the team that SI has, it WILL take 2 or 3 months to sort things out, transfer window or not. And because of the transfer window, there's added data fixes, attribute tweaking and so on. With FM, think of the area of dominoes being on the floor of a aircraft hangar, that's the size of what they have to deal with due to all the permutations.

I want to play dominoes now! I need to get some..

Did you need to wait for the transfer window to close to fix all the other stuff?

Are you aware of the triangle of quality?

There's cheap, there's good, and there's fast

You can pick two out of three at most.

So while FM is a cheap product, as far as computer programs go, and it's obviously quite good, then you can't definetly expect fast.

That's pretty much all.

Fast? I paid for the game four months ago and it's still a work in progress. You can enable this sort of service all you want, you're not going to convince me this is anything other than a complete embarrassment.

I'll also challenge your assertion that the game is cheap. If you look at other developers, they build a game from scratch and take £30-£40 off you every two or three years. FM is £20 per year for the same game with a few new features. I'm not saying it's not worth the price, because otherwise I wouldn't be buying it, but to say it's cheap is a huge overstatement.

Fast? I paid for the game four months ago and it's still a work in progress. You can enable this sort of service all you want, you're not going to convince me this is anything other than a complete embarrassment.

I'll also challenge your assertion that the game is cheap. If you look at other developers, they build a game from scratch and take £30-£40 off you every two or three years. FM is £20 per year for the same game with a few new features. I'm not saying it's not worth the price, because otherwise I wouldn't be buying it, but to say it's cheap is a huge overstatement.

A game the size of FM and the amount of detail involved is a constant work in progress from version to version, patch to patch.

In terms of service find me another developer that gives the service SI does while in terms of cost, at least for me, the amount per hour it costs me is far, far less than any other piece of software, infact any other hobby I've ever taken part in.

What you've demonstrated in these two posts is your complete lack of understanding of what goes into making FM and how much there actually is to the game.

I'm the customer, I'm not obliged to know or care what goes into making the game. If you bought a car and it turned out the it couldn't get above 30mph and the doors wouldn't lock, but it'd be fixed a third of the way through it's lifespan, you would not accept the excuse of "it's complex". They're paid to do a job. If they can't handle it, something has to change. I don't owe them my patience.

I'm the customer, I'm not obliged to know or care what goes into making the game. If you bought a car and it turned out the it couldn't get above 30mph and the doors wouldn't lock, but it'd be fixed a third of the way through it's lifespan, you would not accept the excuse of "it's complex". They're paid to do a job. If they can't handle it, something has to change. I don't owe them my patience.

Cars are a lot different to software, in fact software seems to be quite unique when it comes to product sales.

As it stands the game is playable as it is, yes its not perfect but it never will be. The 3rd patch will improve it again in the next few weeks.

Yes your the customer and you have options - Buy the game with the knowledge there will be three patches as SI stated on release, don't buy the game until the 3rd patch is out or don't the game at all.

At the end of the day I'm sure this isn't your first CM/FM and its hardly rocket science - SI follow the same schedule every year/release more or less.

Cars are a lot different to software, in fact software seems to be quite unique when it comes to product sales.

The concept of service is the same. You pay for something, you expect the product to be finished.

As it stands the game is playable as it is, yes its not perfect but it never will be. The 3rd patch will improve it again in the next few weeks.

In my analogy the car was drivable. That doesn't make it an acceptable product.

Yes your the customer and you have options - Buy the game with the knowledge there will be three patches as SI stated on release, don't buy the game until the 3rd patch is out or don't the game at all.

That I agree with. I have to take some responsibility for falling for the same crap every single year.

At the end of the day I'm sure this isn't your first CM/FM and its hardly rocket science - SI follow the same schedule every year/release more or less.

The schedule is what I have a problem with. It doesn't matter when the issues get fixed, they only release a patch according to the schedule. I bet we could have had a substantially better game a month ago. Speculation obviously, but I'm sure a lot of the big issues people have had were cleaned up a while ago.

The concept of service is the same. You pay for something, you expect the product to be finished.

In my analogy the car was drivable. That doesn't make it an acceptable product.

That I agree with. I have to take some responsibility for falling for the same crap every single year.

The schedule is what I have a problem with. It doesn't matter when the issues get fixed, they only release a patch according to the schedule. I bet we could have had a substantially better game a month ago. Speculation obviously, but I'm sure a lot of the big issues people have had were cleaned up a while ago.

how do you know what they had fixed or not fixed a month ago? How do you know that with changes they have made a month ago the game was completely broken and they have had to strip it apart to find the problem? Dont speculate about these things because it does no one any good, SI have stated their intentions with this game from day one, its never changed, we all made the choice to buy the game when we did thats our problem.

Err, I'll speculate about it if I like. Did you think that nothing was fixed until the 30 seconds before they uploaded the patch to the server?

When we made the choice to buy the game, we had no way of knowing what sort of state it would be in for four months. It's not the most informed choice you can make. When you say it's our problem, you're technically right, but I didn't forego my right to bitch about it.

no but they will not sit on the patch for weeks for no reason, they will release the patch as soon as it is ready, not before.

Which hopefully is soon. Ive no idea how the patching process works but would it be safe to say data is locked by now and possibly testing has begun/finished?

no but they will not sit on the patch for weeks for no reason, they will release the patch as soon as it is ready, not before.

How do you explain the patches being released at roughly the same time every year then? Coincidence that they were all completed at the same time?

• Administrators

This thread is descending nowhere fast. We had a set plan on when we were releasing the patches and any update when the game was released. This has not changed. When the data update is available you'll find out about it first on these forums.

Thanks.

Archived