"World Class" players

Baptista_8

With the biggest tournament on the world stage well underway, who would you say fits into this bracket?

Before the tournament, and now, i'd say the 3 undoubted world class talents are:

Lionel Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo

David Villa

Feel free to add to this and discuss, i'd probably put Xavi in as a fourth

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you mean by "world class". They're all in the World Cup, so in that sense they could all be mentioned. You probably mean the very, very best players, however, and in that case it's hard to argue with your two first choices. Then it will be more usual suspects tbh.

Maicon

Xavi

Rooney

And so forth.

So there are only 3 or 4 world class players in the world? :confused: To me "world class" simply means that a player is capable of perfoming consistently at the absolute very highest level of the game. You could put 100 players in this category, probably more. Whenever this comes up lots of people always say that there can only be 11 world class players i.e. one for each position, which is utter rubbish.

I'm going on quality, not how they have performed thus far. There is no doubt Rooney is a world class player, as in one of the best forwards in the world. He is the one player that will make or break England against Germany.

If just basing on the matches so far, I'd say Forlan up front with Villa. They've both been great.

From Brazil I think only Maicon and perhaps Lúcio have looked world class. Elano was great too in his first two games. The rest has done very little of note so far.

Argentina - Messi, Di Maria, Samuel, Higuain, Mascherano.

Brazil - Lucio, Maicon, Robinho, D.Alves, J.Cesar.

Cote d'Ivoire - Drogba.

England - A.Cole, Gerrard, Terry.

Germany - Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ozil.

Ghana - Essien.

Holland - Robben, Sneijder.

Italy - Chiellini, Buffon.

Portugal - Ronaldo.

Spain - Ramos, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas.

Imo, they're the players that have either been thrust into contention for being called world class or played well enough to confirm their status as world class (or not played/played enough). I've probably missed players I meant to put in, so don't shout at me for it ;)

Obviously there's loads of players that have impressed that aren't up there (like Coentrao, Honda, Meireles, Sanchez, Kjaer etc) but you can't call a player world class based on a few performances in the WC, even if they all had good seasons.

Reputation-wise Kaká is world class too, even if on the pitch he barely is nowadays.

Although Robinho is one of the best Brazilian players, I think few people abroad rate him as world class, probably because of his European career.

Stop copying me PMLF :D

I noticed after I posted that you had posted as well. :D

Anyway, the problem with the world class tag is that it is more about reputation than it is about talent. Nobody (or few people at least) would say Lúcio was world class a couple of years ago even though he was just as good back then too.

I noticed after I posted that you had posted as well. :D

Anyway, the problem with the world class tag is that it is more about reputation than it is about talent. Nobody (or few people at least) would say Lúcio was world class a couple of years ago even though he was just as good back then too.

I always thought Lucio was world class too. Probably can dig up posts of me being amazed at how Lucio was rated lower than Ferdinand in FM from back then.

Argentina - Messi, Di Maria, Samuel, Higuain, Mascherano.

Cote d'Ivoire - Drogba.

England - A.Cole, Gerrard, Terry.

Germany - Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ozil.

Ghana - Essien.

Holland - Robben, Sneijder.

Italy - Chiellini, Buffon.

Portugal - Ronaldo.

Spain - Ramos, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas.

Casillas, Torres, Rooney perhaps? Plus, if you're having Terry you might as well have Rio. Mascherano is certainly not a world class midfielder.

I'd like to see Higuain play against a good international team and see how he copes. Just a tad overrated imo.

The difference between him and Rooney is one of them plays for a club filled with World Class midfielders. The other doesn't. Yet they both scored 29 goals last season.

I'm not sure 3 games of football is an entirely appropriate judge of who is world class and who is not.

I think its a bit of a knock about mate, not to be taken too seriously. Still got a bite for the Mascherano comment though...

Here's one for you then, Veron is still world class. A proper midfield player.

He's certainly still a world class ball player, but a midfield of Verons would get destroyed at the top level, hence why you need a Mascherano in there to balance it out.

A bite. :D

He's certainly still a world class ball player, but a midfield of Verons would get destroyed at the top level, hence why you need a Mascherano in there to balance it out.

A bite. :D

He's no Nicky Butt circa 2002 and you know it :thup:.

Probably depends on what you mean. Some players are world class without actually having shown that much in this tournament (such as Xavi). Some players are not known for being super-great but are having a good world cup.

The players that are world class in this World Cup and also has shown consistently that they are among the best in their position is:

-lionel messi

-david villa

-maicon

-ashley cole

-lucio

Wesley Sneidjer has stamped himself among the World Class category not only this tournament but the entire season.

He's not a World Class player by any stretch, but Brett Holman has had a World Class tournament, he's been brilliant.

Anyone spotted a stand-out keeper yet?

Vincent Enyeama has impressed me, shame he made that dodgy mistake against South Korea but overall has been pretty good. Same goes for Itumeleng Khune of SA, Fernando Muslera of Urgay & Richard Kingson of Ghana. Despite him being cack in the Premiership.

Archived