finneys13

wc2010logo.png

Slovakia -v- Paraguay

Slovakia%20Flag%20cr.gif

800px-Flag_of_Paraguay.svg.png

Venue: Bloemfontein

Referee: Eddy Maillet (Seychelles) Yeah, really

Team News

Both these sides let a lead slip in their opening game, although of the two teams Slovakia will be the most disappointed, having led against Group F outsiders New Zealand until the third minute of injury time. While the Slovaks claimed their first-ever World Cup point in Rustenburg, coach Vladimir Weiss described the draw as a "small sporting tragedy".

Slovakia enjoyed plenty of possession against the All Whites but they struggled to break down Ricki Herbert's men, who defended in numbers and looked to mount occasional attacks from long balls and set pieces. It was a frustrating experience for the Slovaks, but they should at least be well prepared for the Paraguayans, who were similarly unambitious against Italy.

The South Americans could have beaten the world champions had it not been for a goalkeeping error, but they offered little going forward. Paraguay's goal, a header from Wigan-bound defender Antolin Alcaraz, was their only effort on target in 90 minutes against the Azzurri.

Don't expect coach Gerardo Martin to go for broke against Slovakia: "I don't think we need to win our next two games - draws may be sufficient to progress," he says.

'Mon Slovakia this time, had my fun last time watching your distressed faces :D

Kiwi result was a killer, Slovakia really are not a bad team, they could easily get the result here the badily need. 2-1 I think to Slovakia.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paraguay playing with 3 strikers hopefully somebody will be able to feed them

The girl in that photo looks like she could feed the entire 23 man squad, but why do I have the lingering suspicion her Jubulani's are prone to some artificial movement?

• Administrators

Teams:

Slovakia: Mucha, Pekarik, Sktrel, Strba, Weiss, Kozak, Sestak, Vittek, Durica, Hamsik ©, Salata

Paraguay: Villar ©, Morel, Bonet, Santa Cruz, Vera, Da Silva, V.Caceres, Riveros, Haedo-Valdez, Barrios, Alcaraz

Exactly. Baffling, considering their 2nd goal was better.

The goal it self was better, but the whole play of the Bendtners goal (long pass, good control, good pass to Bendtner) was fabulous as well imo.

Paraguay look well dangerous so far. Didn't think it would be so one sided.

Something else: is it me or do several of these Slovaks look like horrible thugs with their shaven heads?

Archived