Rio Ferdinand out of World Cup

ah right, ok :D

Nicky Butt was our best player at the 02 one fwiw :cool:

Nicky Butt was the best player in the tournament.

Looks like Carragher & Terry although I think King is a better defender at club level.

I love the way people are dismissing Rio's worth. This is the WORLD cup, full blooded tackles are not as welcome as they are in the premier league. We needed that calm head that can actually play a ball out of the defence. Fouls in and around our box will be the biggest threat to the team.

I love the way people are dismissing Rio's worth. This is the WORLD cup, full blooded tackles are not as welcome as they are in the premier league. We needed that calm head that can actually play a ball out of the defence. Fouls in and around our box will be the biggest threat to the team.

We have King for a calm head, though I agree that Ferdinand will be missed, especially given King's injury record.

I don't think people are dismissing Rio, they're just trying to look at ways of compensating for his absence. We can't panic about him not being at the World Cup cos that's just pointless.

only a couple. but I'm surprised anyone could post comments like the following:

England have dodged a bullet tbh, he wasn't in the greatest of form and had a pretty poor season by his standards.
there was real danger of him being carried.

I feel sorry for him but I think England will get over this very quickly and may even benefit.

dodged a bullet seriously??? who the hell would be carrying him?

As much as I dislike Ferdinand, he'll definitely be a big loss. I think this leaves England very exposed to a quick or mobile forward (Diego Milito being an example of a mobile, but not quick forward, before the smart arses start) as he was the only defender who had any sort of pace.

I have to say, though, Carragher has done exceptionally well for Liverpool in the big, big games (I'm thinking the first CL final against Milan) so he may well do an unexpected star turn.

I would rather have Terry - King but I have a hunch it'll be Terry - Upson.

This, somehow we've got down to the bare bones at CB despite it always having been one of our strongest positions.

Oh if only Woodgate was still alright.

Terry and King>>>Terry and Dawson~King and Dawson>>Terry and Upson>>>>Terry and Shawcross>>>>>>>>>>>>>any other combination of the above>>>>>>>>Terry and Carragher

Terry and June >>>>> All

was 5 years ago. By that judgement we'd be picking Neville tbf.

Except that Carragher's not a detestable ****. ;)

He's definitely not as good overall as he was 5 years ago, but my point was that he has proven over time that he can be trusted to perform at his highest level in the biggest games, whereas I'm not sure that Upson, Dawson or King (or Cristiano Ronaldo, for that matter ;)) could make the same claim.

In a World Cup, I'd rather go with a steady hand sort of player.

Except that Carragher's not a detestable ****. ;)

He's definitely not as good overall as he was 5 years ago, but my point was that he has proven over time that he can be trusted to perform at his highest level in the biggest games, whereas I'm not sure that Upson, Dawson or King (or Cristiano Ronaldo, for that matter ;)) could make the same claim.

he may have proven it over time, but your evidence was one game 5 years ago in which Liverpool conceded 5 goals. I didn't really watch him last season, but did he perform in the 'big' games last season? because surely they are more relevant than what he did 5 years ago?

I think Upson is awful, I'm not sure about the other two but if King was fit I'd definitely have him ahead of Carragher, plus if Carragher starts then who covers right back?

It's amazing how not long ago we had Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Woodgate, all up there with the best centre backs in the world, plus King and Brown.

I feel more for Rio though than for England, as he probably won't get another world cup, and normally I'd see the silver lining in him being more likely to be fit for next season, however every injury just makes it less and less likely he'll go for any sustained period without being injured in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
As someone else mentioned, there are other players who are more crucial to England.

Capello has always said he picks players on form etc but Ferdinand is probably one of the best examples of a player picked for England on reputation. As one of the first names on the team sheet due to being captain rather than current form (which has been lacklustre due to not being as fit as he used to be), there was real danger of him being carried.

I feel sorry for him but I think England will get over this very quickly and may even benefit.

yeah benefited loads.

England have dodged a bullet tbh, he wasn't in the greatest of form and had a pretty poor season by his standards.

dodged a massive bullet imo.

Archived