Italy: The greatest European footballing nation and the current world champions

gaga_4_parma

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the idiot says that italy shouldnt have crossed the ball all the time, yet the idiot picked iaq and gila upfront(two players that dont know anything other than to head the ball). what an idiot. i said before and ill say it again, this idiot doesnt know what he is doing.

The same idiot who won in 2006. :D

So what?

Liz Taylor was hot 40 years ago, would you still do her now?

So Lippi can be called an idiot, despite his past glory, because he's been clearly making poor decisions during his second stint as Italy manager.

Questionable call-ups, confusing tactical decisions, no clear gameplan...

Seriously, Lippi has lost it, plain and simple

Gilardino, Marchisio, Criscito could all be out of the starting lineup for the final group game.

Criscito takes too long to settle...I think he's done alright. Maybe bring Maggio on the right and move Zambrotta left.

Gilardino has had balls lobbed to him in both games...

Marchisio has been played out of position entirely in some fantasy in Lippi's mind...Marchisio = godly player...when he is average at best in reality and definately not Italy best CM.

Plus the defense has been sound...

marking on set pieces...not so much! :D

Di Natale needs to be a starter...and I would play Gattuso.

--------------- Marchetti -----------------

Zambrotta----Cannavaro----Chiellini----Cristicio

------Gattuso---De Rossi---Montolivo-------

--------------Pirlo--------------------

----------Di Natale----Pazzini-----------

Gattuso would be simply because I liked his performance against the Swiss in the friendly (I have been quite down on him all year)...it was like old times though...he was everywhere and his presence alone in what ever area he was in the Swiss just wouldn't dare go by...Marchisio has shown us that the amount of influence one can exert is almost pivotal and he has utterly no influence. De Rossi hasn't played particularly well but his influence on games is there even if it's gamesmanship.

EDIT: Just noticed the media are reporting the midfield I just posted... :D

Why is Marchisio average at best? It's ridiculous to think he's going to be judged on the games at this WC. I cba going into much detail but this fascination certain coaches have with playing him out of position (whether that's on the wing or as a trequartista) is wrong and totally ********.

Montolivo has been the one surprising player of this tournament.

The defense has been "sound" mostly because Paraguay and NZ weren't really pushing that hard...

But despite the little pressure both teams applied, Italy's defense still managed to allow them a couple of semi-dangerous chances...

Not to mention the NZ sub who tricked Cannavaro as if Fabio himself was the amateur from down under...

Why is Marchisio average at best? It's ridiculous to think he's going to be judged on the games at this WC.

It is unfair that he will be judged based off the WC matches yes I agree.

I like Marchisio but he has not in my opinion stepped up to show some character...the same goes for Iaquinta who I'm a fan of too...

Iaquinta in particular needs to spend less time complaining on/off the pitch and just get on with things...his constant grimaces every minute is annoying as hell.

I think Palombo would have done better in the role Marchisio was given atleast Palombo can spread the ball. It also begs the question if Marchisio was going to be used on the left why in the hell was Candreva left behind? Who is atleast naturally is on the that left side.

There is no doubt that Marchisio is average at best...and in the post-WC I'm sure Marchisio will not figure as heavily...:) There are more talented and much younger players around and knowing Juve Marchisio will be pushed out by some foreigner they bring in this summer.

Really bad. But who and wht could Lippi of done different in terms of personel? He picked the best players available (except Cassano).. Was it just a tactical thing? But so many players not good enough. Montolivo, Iaquinta, Marchisio....

Yes, completely tactical issues, I believe. He didn't have the best formation in his mind, and he still did experiments against Paraguay. What the heck? He played Marchisio as a playmaker and then as a winger. He told journalists that they shouldn't have crossed balls against New Zealand, yet he asked the players to do it.

No wonder why Ferrara as his student failed miserably with us.

Total nightmare for Italy, bottom of such an easy group behind New Zealand is truly unacceptable and a disgrace. Lippi must take the most blame, his blind faith in players like Gattuso, Cannavaro and Iaquinta failed spectacularly and Italy never really got going.

I don't think they genuinely ever had the quality (their entire player pool) to rely on to take them far in the competition. Their players, even the over-hyped ones like Chiellini and De Rossi, are just not that good individually.

They could've done well if they played with the same mindset that average sides have in big competitions, plus a tight group, good atmosphere and clever tactics.

Lippi didn't choose the right players to start matches. After the first match it was clear to see that using the penalty area sort of striker was a silly idea, but Iaquinta and Gilardino remained in the squad.

Their players, even the over-hyped ones like Chiellini and De Rossi, are just not that good individually.

Bollocks.

Really bad. But who and wht could Lippi of done different in terms of personel? He picked the best players available (except Cassano).. Was it just a tactical thing? But so many players not good enough. Montolivo, Iaquinta, Marchisio....

Lippi had some creative choices such as Miccoli, Cassano and Balotteli- but Miccoli is himself an injury question and Balotelli and Cassano apparently don't have appropriate table manners or don't speak Tuscan Italian or something. Regardless, what is left is an old and rather impotent Azzurri squad. Zambrotta and Camoranesi tore up the pitch four years ago, now they would probably have trouble tearing up a bocce lane. Buffon isn't back there to make miracles and Canavarro is no longer the wide-ranging interceptor that he was in Germany. What Italy needs is a Pablito Rossi or even just a Materazzi to emerge spectacularly from the ranks - but Di Natale and Pazzini seem to have more mundane feet (or feats) that those two predecessors. Chiellini is a competent thug, but not a brilliant one like Gentile or Burgnich.

The scary thing is that calcio right now has nothing more to offer than Balotelli, Cassano and Miccoli - there are no rays of hope out there in Serie B or C or on primavera ranks.

Many people criticize Inter for not having any Italians but maybe there's a reason why Branca and Oriali favour foreigners? Look at the Inter and Roma, the two teams that have dominated Serie A for the last five years and observe their starting 11's. How many Italy internationals play? Santon and Balotelli for Inter (both not called up) while there is Cassetti, Tonetto, De Rossi, Perrotta for Roma of whom I believe De Rossi as the only player worthy of a call up.

Football around the world is catching up in terms of training and management techniques - in some places it's isn't past tense anymore - it's caught up, period.

Really bad. But who and wht could Lippi of done different in terms of personel? Was it just a tactical thing?

* Defense

Cannavaro had a terrible season with Juventus, he shouldn't have been a first team regular.

Chiellini himself struggled at Juventus and seemed to have lost a bit of "it".

Zambrotta has been injured or in bad shape for most of the season.

SO, why insisting on playing an has-been who has already signed to play in the Emirates league, basically saying "yes, I'm done at a top-flight level, so I'm going to milk my career for all it's worth"?

Chiellini could provide enough guidance to Bonucci, like Cannavaro did with Barzagli in 06.

* Midfield

Marchisio can't play as "fantasista" nor as left midfield. So having him in the team and out of position is like not having him at all.

Camoranesi is done AND is a liability (should have been sent off against Paraguay)

Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Palombo, Marchisio and Gattuso are central midfielders who just MUST be used for a 4-4-2 diamond, or for any other "through the middle" formation

No advanced playmaker, no "number 10"... so who's goin to create the play?

* Attack

Pepe is woeful... He runs, but he can't get past his man, can't cross, can't shoot...

Gilardino and Pazzini aren't "playing forwards", but need tons of crosses... so a wingless formation (or a formation with impromptu wingers who can't cross) makes them automatically useless.

Di Natale should be player as striker, nothing else. Having him deep on either flank is a waste of potential. Also, he lacks personality.

Iaquinta is a blend of Pepe and Gilardino's weaknesses...

Quagliarella can be dangerous on occasions, but IMO doesn't hold the "level" to play at a World Cup. Great goal though... but that's pretty much his only use... an odd goal out of nothing.

* Formation

As said...

No actual wingers, so let's get rid of the 4-3-3 with two strikers recycled as wingers.

Also no 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) for the same reason... whether you have two strikers to play deeper, or two central midfielders to play wider, it's STILL players out of position and out of their element.

Without actual wingers or crossing skills, the Lone Striker needs to be a playing striker... Iaquinta, Pazzini or Gilardino aren't that type of player...

Basically Italy lacked wide players to trigger their strikers, and/or fast strikers to get advantage of the central midfielders' skills.

* Who wasn't there

Cassani and/or Balzaretti instead of Zambrotta (and Maggio, who can't defend).

Cossu, as unready and unexperienced as he is, instead of Camoranesi... Surely better than Marchisio or Montolivo as advanced playmaker.

Ambrosini instead of Gattuso

Giuseppe Rossi instead of Pepe

Cassano and Balotelli instead of Iaquinta and another striker.

There's an awful lot of 'he's past it, he's past it' in there with 'good but no experience' ... this Italy side didn't look good but I expected them to win today as Slovakia didn't look all that either and then maybe you'd lose to the Dutch or take it to pen and, you know, win as usual :D

I they're balancing on the sticking with the trusted older players vs not quite having 100% faith in the youth point, at some point England will probably reach this as Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, etc all hit 32, 33, etc and we're not convinced about the guys coming up behind them.

You need to get that blend in earlier though and then you have experienced younger players already semi-established as the older players drop out so it's not like you're replacing a whole team, Italy and France seem to have stuck with the older players a little longer than they should

I they're balancing on the sticking with the trusted older players vs not quite having 100% faith in the youth point, at some point England will probably reach this as Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, etc all hit 32, 33, etc and we're not convinced about the guys coming up behind them.

You need to get that blend in earlier though and then you have experienced younger players already semi-established as the older players drop out so it's not like you're replacing a whole team, Italy and France seem to have stuck with the older players a little longer than they should

This.

The other aspect is bringing players who had absolutely terrible seasons. Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Iaquinta, Camoranesi, Gattuso. Notice that all these players play/ed for teams that have fallen on seriously low times; Milan and Juventus.

Archived