July 2006-August 2006) 
Lowest Elo ranking 21 (November 1959)[/center]

Fixtures:

Italy vs Paraguay [b]June 14th[/b]
Italy vs New Zealand [b]June 20th[/b]
Italy vs Slovakia [b]June 24th[/b]

23 man World Cup squad:

[b]Goalkeepers:[/b] [font=Arial]Buffon, Marchetti, De Sanctis,[/font]

[b]Defenders:[/b] [font=Arial]Bocchetti, Bonucci, F. Cannavaro, Chiellini, Criscito, Maggio, Zambrotta[/font]

[b]Midfield:[/b] [font=Arial]Camoranesi, De Rossi, Gattuso, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Pirlo[/font]

[b]Strikers:[/b] [font=Arial]Di Natale, Gilardino, Iaquinta, Pazzini, Quagliarella[/font]

Kits:

2a60dns.jpg24pb3u8.jpg35in60y.jpg

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think Lippi will pick more than 10 players when he sends the team out.

Oh, and based on "merit and consistency" you've picked Giuseppe Rossi, Santon and Montolivo :D

Abbiati has already said that he will refuse a call-up if it is to be 2nd or 3rd choice 'keeper. And some of those who you've listed as in "contention" for a place are bizarre.

Do you actually watch/follow Italian football?

Unfortunetly...the team is not picked on merit but rather who is who is more reputable in Lippi's mind...

So it will probably look like this;

Di Natale - Gilardino

Pirlo - De Rossi - Camoranesi

Grosso - Chiellini - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Buffon

you cant rate lippi much if you think you will only start with 10 players :D

Well I think Lippi will pick more than 10 players when he sends the team out.

Oh, and based on "merit and consistency" you've picked Giuseppe Rossi, Santon and Montolivo :D

Abbiati has already said that he will refuse a call-up if it is to be 2nd or 3rd choice 'keeper. And some of those who you've listed as in "contention" for a place are bizarre.

Do you actually watch/follow Italian football?

I changed Santon... ;)

I would rather have Montolivo out wide then Pirlo who has been in major decline for 2-3 years. Atleast Montolivo has been visible for Fioretina the same can't be said for Pirlo.

G. Rossi I admit is not in that bracket this season sure. He will get called-up though...Balotelli won't...

I posted contenders to see if it could get discussion going... ;)

Now if the Italian national team had to be picked right now at present and it was all down to actual merit and consistenty this season the team would look like this;

Gilardino

Rossi - Cassano

Montolivo - De Rossi - Marchisio

Criscito - Chiellini - Bonucci - Cassani

Buffon

Di Natale deserves a place 1000x more than Rossi, he's been outstanding.

Montolivo is painfully average, what's awful is that it will probably be a choice between him and Palombo. Or Camoranesi, which will put Marchisio on the left side (where he's better imo).

Rest I'd probably agree with.

Lippi said that the chance was pretty small that he would call new debutants next year. So, this is a list of players whom he has called up since he replaced Donadoni. I hope I don't miss anyone.

Gianluigi Buffon (Austria)

Marco Amelia (Austria)

Morgan de Sanctis (Cyprus)

Federico Marchetti (Northern Ireland)

Daniele Bonera (Austria)

Gianluca Zambrotta (Austria)

Fabio Grosso (Austria)

Andrea Barzagli (Austria)

Nicola Legrottaglie (Austria)

Andrea Dossena (Austria)

Alessandro Gamberini (Cyprus)

Fabio Cannavaro (Cyprus)

Giorgio Chiellini (Bulgaria)

Marco Motta (Montenegro)

Davide Santon (Northern Ireland)

Mattia Cassani (Northern Ireland)

Andrea Esposito (Northern Ireland)

Domenico Criscito (Switzerland)

Salvatore Bocchetti (Switzerland)

Gennaro Gattuso (Austria)

Andrea Pirlo (Austria)

Simone Perrotta (Austria)

Mauro Camoranesi (Austria)

Alberto Aquilani (Austria)

Marco Cassetti (Austria)

Angelo Palombo (Austria)

Daniele de Rossi (Cyprus)

Simone Pepe (Bulgaria)

Riccardo Montolivo (Bulgaria)

Christian Maggio (Greece)

Gaetano d'Agostino (Greece)

Matteo Brighi (Montenegro)

Daniele Galloppa (Northern Ireland)

Marco Biagianti (Northern Ireland)

Pasquale Foggia (Northern Ireland)

Claudio Marchisio (Switzerland)

Marco Marchionni (Georgia)

Antonio Candreva (Netherlands)

Davide Biondini (Netherlands)

Alessandro del Piero (Austria)

Antonio di Natale (Austria)

Alberto Gilardino (Austria)

Giuseppe Rossi (Austria)

Vincenzo Iaquinta (Austria)

Luca Toni (Cyprus)

Fabio Quagliarella (Montenegro)

Giampaolo Pazzini (Montenegro)

Giuseppe Mascara (Northern Ireland)

Sergio Pellissier (Northern Ireland)

Raffaele Palladino (Netherlands)

I predict he'll bring this.

Buffon, Marchetti, De Sanctis

Zambrotta, Grosso, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Cassani, Criscito, Legrottaglie, Bocchetti

Camoranesi, Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, Palombo, Montolivo

Quagliarella, Di Natale, Gilardino, Rossi, Iaquinta, Pazzini

Maybe Quagliarella out and Pepe in.

Bumping this.

did abbiatti really say that about not going unless he was first choice btw? might as well withdraw himself then, no way hed be getting picked ahead of buffon unless Buffon's hands fell off :D

did abbiatti really say that about not going unless he was first choice btw? might as well withdraw himself then, no way hed be getting picked ahead of buffon unless Buffon's hands fell off :D

Yes he did. Felt it wasn't a good use of time to sit on the bench for weeks. Shame, because he'd be second choice if he went.

I agree with the way Lippi is handling things with the squad. It's all well and good complaining, but there's nobody else to pick. Giovinco isn't playing enough games, Balotelli is not mature enough - as far as I'm concerned Lippi is justified on both accounts.

Throwing Bonucci in isn't the best of ideas either, especially if that defence also contains inexperience at full-back. He had a decent game in a defensive performance against Cameroon - hardly a football powerhouse.

Where I have a problem, and I've said it before, is the tactics and choice of certain players. Di Natale - great in Italy, not good enough for the step up. Just like Borriello. Quagliarella is the same. We play too many average players in a system that suits nobody in the squad.

We can win the World Cup with the squad Lippi picks, but it has to be used correctly. The second team Gaga picked (the one he thinks Lippi will go with) would probably be my exact choice. Possibly Marchisio for Gattuso. That team can win the competition. So can the same players used in 4-3-1-2.

We won't win it if he goes 4-3-3.

I still have a hope that Lippi will call either Del Piero or Cassano however small the chance will be.

Are you Italian or Dutch?

Any chance of Giovinco or Totti going? And that to Del Piero and Cassano, thats a lot of natural attacking talent not going.

Giovinco - none.

Totti - if he wants to go, then he will certainly be picked. He's said he will decide at the end of the season whether he thinks he is fit enough to play in the summer.

Zero chance for Giovinco starting any games until next season when fit. Cassano has no chance because of previous conflicts with Lippi, lost all faith.

Totti is undecided at the moment and is going to discuss it with a few people, since he doesn't know whether to come out of retirement. Del Piero has said a few times that he will always be available for Lippi to call him, depends on what happens in the season but there may be a chance for him, Lippi knows him like the back of his hand.

Quite surprised Miccoli hasn't been called up by Lippi in qualification, would be useful for the squad.

I think De Rossi must have a very good tournament for Italy to show anything. Don't understand how Gattuso can play. He has been woeful. And, it really does look like Lippi will leave Cassano out. :(

Gattuso's been fine when he's played for Milan - the issue is he hasn't played enough. Don't get caught up in all the nonsense people say about him. In any case, I don't think he will start, even though I think his presence will get the best out of De Rossi.

Lippi is counting on good spirit and unity around the team...

He's definately taken a leaf out of the German national team of years gone by...class players of good to WC reputation, though old the fact that it's 6-7 matches until you lift the trophy is being seen as an advantage.

The only problem though is that those German players atleast played for their respective clubs the majority of the time over the period of a season...

The main worry personally is the match fitness of players like Zambrotta, Grosso (did ok lastnight) and Iaquinta who has only recently returned.

So lets note down some ages for players...

Cannavaro (36)

De Sanctis (33)

Zambrotta (33)

Legrottaglie (33)

Camoranesi (33)

Buffon (32)

Grosso (32)

Gattuso (32)

Di Natale (32)

Pirlo (31)

Iaquinta (30)

Maggio (28)

Palombo (28)

Marchetti (27)

Gilardino (27)

Borriello (27)

De Rossi (26)

Pepe (26)

Chiellini (25)

Marchisio (24)

Criscito (23)

Bonucci (23)

Rossi (23)

Average age is 28.8.

The average makes it look not so bad...but the reality is that all the players listed in their 30's will be starters (except for Legrottaglie, Di Natale and De Sanctis).

Buffon

Zambrotta - Cannavaro - Chiellini - Grosso

Camoranesi - Gattuso - Pirlo - De Rossi

Gilardino - Iaquinta

Average age of this first team 30.7...

Definately contenders for oldest team in the competition...

Not so bad going into a competition though tbh, I am sure they'll be a new 'cycle' of players for the next Quals for Euros though. Well, not 100% sure but you know ... :D

:D I have my doubts!

All I will say is that the above team has been spanked hard by Brazil twice (with an older team or there abouts) in the space of a year or so and just about drawed with Spain under Lippi's reign.

Its not even an age thing (see Brazil) it's the fact that these players are not even playing for their respective clubs and they have clearly shown a massive decline but are still considered.

Seems funny, because at Euro2008 you struggled, I thought one of the reasons was, because your midfield was all Milan. Milan had just had a woeful season missing out on the CL. Now you are doing similar but with Juve :D Nearly an all Juve defence.

Yeah... :D

Italy always struggles in competitions (Italy grinds results)...you'll never see an Italy side play any sort of attractive football.

Miccoli and Cassano not getting called up is insanely embarrassing... :( I think Lippi would not even call Messi if he was Italian tbh!

:D I have my doubts!

All I will say is that the above team has been spanked hard by Brazil twice (with an older team or there abouts) in the space of a year or so and just about drawed with Spain under Lippi's reign.

Its not even an age thing (see Brazil) it's the fact that these players are not even playing for their respective clubs and they have clearly shown a massive decline but are still considered.

When have we played Spain under Lippi's second reign?

Gattuso won't start. But most of the others are first-choice for their clubs. Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gilardino, Buffon. Iaquinta still plays a lot of games, as does Camoranesi and Grosso when fit. It's not as if these players have spent the entire season on their asses.

Yeah... :D

Italy always struggles in competitions (Italy grinds results)...you'll never see an Italy side play any sort of attractive football.

Miccoli and Cassano not getting called up is insanely embarrassing... :( I think Lippi would not even call Messi if he was Italian tbh!

Miccoli has missed his chance. Too old, wasn't amazing in the games he has played, and it's debatable whether he's good enough for international football.

When have we played Spain under Lippi's second reign?.

My bad...your right.

Gattuso won't start. But most of the others are first-choice for their clubs. Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gilardino, Buffon. Iaquinta still plays a lot of games, as does Camoranesi and Grosso when fit. It's not as if these players have spent the entire season on their asses.

Zambrotta isn't...we've gone over this already. Abate and Antonini having been making him sit on the bench pretty much all season. Grosso has struggled to play with De Ceglie prefered it's only since the Udinese loss that we've seen change. Iaquinta is recovering. Cannvaro has been making sure Juve leak as many goals as possible. 2nd worst defense in the league btw!

So yes...Zambrotta has been sitting on his ass all season tbh picking up his pay check ala Oddo...Pirlo has become miserable and lazy git...oh and Gattuso will play.

Miccoli has missed his chance. Too old, wasn't amazing in the games he has played, and it's debatable whether he's good enough for international football.

Miccoli is in good form...some would say excellent form...him and Cassano. I don't see any other Italian player except for Di Natale in any vein of decent form.

Zambrotta isn't...we've gone over this already. Abate and Antonini having been making him sit on the bench pretty much all season.

Yes we have, and you were conclusively wrong then, as you are now. Zambrotta has started 21 of our 44 games this season - and that's with an injury that kept him out for a couple of months. That's not the record of someone who's been kept on the bench "all season" by other players. If anything, it shows he's been rested at times, which is to be expected.

I'm also certain we'll see that Grosso has played more than De Ceglie (in fact, I know we will), that Pirlo has been first-choice for Milan all season, and that there won't be many players in Juve's squad that have started more games than Cannavaro.

Yes we have, and you were conclusively wrong then, as you are now. Zambrotta has started 21 of our 44 games this season - and that's with an injury that kept him out for a couple of months. That's not the record of someone who's been kept on the bench "all season" by other players. If anything, it shows he's been rested at times, which is to be expected.

I'm also certain we'll see that Grosso has played more than De Ceglie (in fact, I know we will), that Pirlo has been first-choice for Milan all season, and that there won't be many players in Juve's squad that have started more games than Cannavaro.

http://video.gazzetta.it/?vxChannel=&vxClipId=2570_6958d58c-4191-11df-8e3c-00144f02aabe

Archived