Italy: The greatest European footballing nation and the current world champions

gaga_4_parma

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, yeh let's just take one little bit of the quote. You know Iaquinta says more than that, and he hasn't actually said Lippi is "doing things wrong".

Now you change your tune...hilarious....:D

Oh and ofcourse he is saying it...why else would he say he would be dropped for speaking out? It's certainly not for his non-adopting to plans...

That quote btw is what the media is running with so I have no idea what other quote your talking about...it silly to say anything other then he is not happy, he is struggling to understand why Lippi wants him to play like Eto'o at Inter...when he can't physically do it.

Now you change your tune...hilarious....:D

Oh and ofcourse he is saying it...why else would he say he would be dropped for speaking out? It's certainly not for his non-adopting to plans...

That quote btw is what the media is running with so I have no idea what other quote your talking about...it silly to say anything other then he is not happy, he is struggling to understand why Lippi wants him to play like Eto'o at Inter...when he can't physically do it.

Change my tune? I am actually not going to waste any more time.

Does anyone get annoyed with Lippi's comments after games? Every game I read stuff and he's making excuses. Mexico was because they were tired, Cameroon, you had a few debutants, and the Domenech-esque it's ok we did rubbish in Confederation Cup because whoever wins it never goes on to win the WC.

Am I just reading selected quotes? Is he just trying to keeps spirits high because he knows this squad is not the strongest. Just strikes me as if he's in massive denial at times.

Montolivo isn't that bad...

It's just that he's completely devoid of personality, always looking for the easy and not-risky solution. Not ballsy enough and, I suspect, not classy enough to be a regular for Italy.

He's 25 but he still plays as if he was 20, and he's also treated as such... Almost 200 caps in Serie A, but all his national team caps are friendly matches [and the equally useless Conf Cup]

Maybe it's just me, but if after six seasons of Top Flight football and three years of call-ups you're still in some sort of limbo, that probably means you're simply not good enough and you should be dropped.

Unless of course, in Italian fashion, they're waiting for him to turn 30 and suddenly become world class :)

always looking for the easy and not-risky solution. Not ballsy enough and, I suspect, not classy enough to be a regular for Italy.

I think this is pretty accurate. Our problem is that he's the only replacement for Pirlo, same with Camoranesi and whoever is going on the right side. Two of our best technical players are out.

I thought as much, just the mere fact that it was mentioned in the foreign press was kinda odd. I remember that a mate of mine (a Napoli fan) always grumbled about the 'welcome to Italy' banners he saw when Napoli played AC or the likes.

What's the general feeling among Italy fans? Do any of you think you might be able to go all the way again with a bit of luck etc.? If not, where do you think Italy will get to in the tournament?

Seems to be a lot of negativity around the Italian national team this time around.

Why are you not happy with that out of interest? Where does he play - Right back?

LB or RB...

What's the general feeling among Italy fans? Do any of you think you might be able to go all the way again with a bit of luck etc.? If not, where do you think Italy will get to in the tournament?

Seems to be a lot of negativity around the Italian national team this time around.

There is always negativity surrounding the team...this Italy team though in particular are pretty bad...I think this is the first time I have seen and heard the national team get boo'ed at in home games or have special chants made and targeted for particular individuals. People buy tickets so they can turn up and take a dump on the team.

I personally think Italy will not go any further then the group stages.:)

I just don't know where the goals will be coming from...most optimists are expecting someone to step up out of nowhere ala Rossi/Schillaci/Baggio...:rolleyes: that or trying to bring some superstition into the equation to try and justify the teams chances.

itapar.png

itapar2.png

Possible formations?

I don't know why they think Italy might play 4-4-2...It's going to be hilarious though if that is the formation...:D

I hope Lippi has gotten over his advanaced Marchisio experiment...I think De Rossi or Montolivo would be better in that position with Marchisio/Palombo/Gattuso controlling the midfield.

I don't know how I feel about Di Natale possibly being dropped. Or even Pepe being a starter...:eek:

itapar.png

itapar1.png

I like Maggio...that formation is not bad I guess...I hope Montolivo gets forward...that deep lying position just doesn't suit him (what does right? :() if he can get forward to ping a few balls around and be at the centre of alot of the active attacks I think he could have a good game...

That is asking alot of him I know...:(

I'm guessing Pepe will be having to do ALOT of running and covering the most distances. I expect the usual 4-3-3 that turns into 4-2-3-1 once we decide to look for that goal and have settled in...transforming into a 4-4-2 once we nick a goal so we defend...

Buffon injured his back again. Hmmm, Marchetti will do well, I think.

He may do, but he'll have to put in some of the best performances of his career to fill the gap.

Nobody commenting on the last game then? I think we need more mobility in attacking areas, Gilardino is left useless unless we're creating chances and in the final part of the game it was more lively when he was taken off.

With Spain losing today,we have a ray of hope for this WC.If we finish 1st and Spain finish 2nd in her group then we will avoid all the big teams until the semifinals....and then,everything can happen. :) Lippi's legendary luck strikes again,maybe its time for us italian to start living the dream again!

With Spain losing today,we have a ray of hope for this WC.If we finish 1st and Spain finish 2nd in her group then we will avoid all the big teams until the semifinals....and then,everything can happen. :) Lippi's legendary luck strikes again,maybe its time for us italian to start living the dream again!

Your thinking too far ahead...:D

Buffon has had problems with his back for the last 2 years.Im reading the press right now and apparently the injury was caused by some movement in the warm-up before the match.Apparently high humidity and cold temperature helped getting his back injured again.

Now he cant train for 10 days and there is a 99% chance that his world cup is over :(

Pepe:

Simone Pepe has revealed some tension with Marcello Lippi after his half-time substitution. “I prefer to keep these matters in the locker room.”

The Udinese winger, who has just signed for Juventus, was replaced at the break and Lippi said in his post-match Press conference it was because of a poor performance.

“Pepe did different things from what I had requested of him, so I changed. It wasn't a punishment, though, but rather trying to use different characteristics against a side that never left its own half.”

This was relayed to Pepe, who seemed visibly irritated at the public revelation after the 1-1 draw with New Zealand.

“We will talk it over with the Coach tomorrow and in front of the team, as I feel these are things that should remain in the locker room.

“I felt good and tried to do my part, the if the Coach decided to change characteristics at half-time, then that's fine. The important thing is the good of the team.

“Obviously everyone wants to play all the time, but that's not possible.

“We will talk it over with the Coach tomorrow, but I would prefer to talk it over with him in the locker room, not through the media.

“The Coach makes the decisions and chooses what to say in public. I want to watch the game again and evaluate, then talk it over.

“I didn't think I was playing badly, but perhaps you can see different things on the field.

“It's not a disaster. Italy go out to win the games, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.”

Gilardino:

Alberto Gilardino has complained he can’t score with his back to the goal. “My position penalises my performance.”

The Fiorentina striker hasn’t scored for three months and was substituted at half-time in the 1-1 draw with New Zealand.

“All too often I find myself playing with my back to the goal and my position penalises my performance,” he moaned.

“I end up having to give the side greater depth. We’ve got to be better at our finishing, too.”

Italy now need to beat Slovakia to be sure of qualifying, although even with that result are likely to be in second place behind Paraguay.

That sets up a dangerous second round clash with Wesley Sneijder’s Holland.

“It will be tough against Slovakia, but we have got to do it. We need to win and it’s a result that is well within our reach.”

Marchisio:

Claudio Marchisio has blamed Marcello Lippi’s tactical experiments for “creating confusion” in the Italy squad.

The Juventus midfielder has played as a trequartista and out wide on the left so far in this tournament.

“At the World Cup many of our players are not in their usual positions because the Coach is performing many experiments,” he told RAI.

“Changing so much has also prompted us to make mistakes and is creating confusion among us, but the Coach has the right experience to take us forward in this situation.”

Lippi fielded the same players for the 1-1 draw with Paraguay and the identical result against New Zealand, but in a 4-2-3-1 and then a 4-4-2 system.

“We are a little downbeat, because we thought that we would get through this group a lot easier,” continued Marchisio.

“Admittedly it was a mistake to put in so many crosses against a New Zealand side that is strong in the air.”

Andrea Pirlo could be back from his calf strain for the final group game against Slovakia.

“If I was to give up my place in the side, I’d be safe in the knowledge that a world class player would be replacing me. It wouldn’t be a problem.”

France version 2? This will be followed by a clash in the training camp, sending Pepe home, leaking the story to the press, and a clash between Cannavaro and the mole. Italy don't have going strike in their blood. So, I don't know what will then happen.

Archived