I did not realise how good FM07 was

d d

Near post on corners and your best header usually works....

The good thing about it is pretty much any formation will work if you set it up right. I have had success with 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and a couple more, and believe me I usually stick with 4-4-2 but 07 is very flexible. You can actually see your tactics working on screen! It's amazing, really! You make changes, and.......you can see the changes! Unlike the random stuff produced for the last 3 versions unless you find 'a way around the flaws in the ME'....

Good luck, hope you enjoy it. I bet you will be surprised at the speed of the ME to start with...

Can you explain that bolded part to me in more detail? Things haven't changed massively since 07 in terms of what the sliders do in general so I don't really understand what you mean by not being able to see the effect of tactics. Just to clarify so things don't kick off as they tend to on here, that is not meant in a snidey/antagonistic manner, just an honest question :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He basically accused us of purposely breaking the game and not fixing it so it forces you to buy the next version. Personally I think that's a pretty ridiculous comment whichever way you look at it - it's not really as much as a comment or constructive criticism as an attack on both our integrity and our morals.

I dont think he said you purposely broke the game did he. Merely that you did not bother fixing it because you focus on making a new version to satisfy your wallets. Look the corner routine of fm2009. It was an absurd flaw in the ME. Rather than fixing it you swept it under the carpet saying it will be fixed in FM2010. Not good enough im afraid when the issue was ingame from release and you knew and acknowledged it.

Im just using this as an example of many things you left in FM2009 because they were goin be fixed in FM2010. Did you ever stop and think of supporting FM2009 a little longer at least to fixing to a point where stupid errors like that were not left in?

Nope you made a new version with the fixes in because you felt that was the moral and integral thing to do ?

He basically accused us of purposely breaking the game and not fixing it so it forces you to buy the next version. Personally I think that's a pretty ridiculous comment whichever way you look at it - it's not really as much as a comment or constructive criticism as an attack on both our integrity and our morals.

Yeah ideally the game would be perfect on release and that'd be it, but for a game as complex as Football Manager that's far easier said than done. We strive to improve with every version of the game, obviously some people feel that hasn't happened, personally I'd disagree. But that's why we try to be active in the community and listen to what our users have to say. We play the game as well so there's absolutely no way we'd want the game to get worse, we want to enjoy it as much as the people that buy it.

Lots of companies have been accused of doing things like this, either by choice or simply through poor planning (shortcuts, fix this tomorrow, etc.). Nokia too for example, where it sometimes goes through barren periods of sheer rubbishness but analysts sometimes think they're holding an ace up their sleeve (still waiting personally).

For some consumers, for example, I'm sure they would have preferred FM 09 to not have come out and instead focussed solely on a two-year release for FM 10. Perhaps just data updates over 2008-2009 to make up for it.

The FM 07 match engine wasn't that great. Like a lot of the older versions, physical attributes were the most important. I used to get strikers that had 15+ in most physical attributes, but say 10 for finishing, composure, first touch, off the ball etc and they'd create their own chances and score loads.

FM is very complex (for a game), so many areas can effect each other and it all has to be balanced.

Oh and all these conspiracy theories are off the mark. Not even Microsoft can get away with releasing stupid software (see Vista) - Vista really hurt Microsoft's image, although it does enjoy a monopoly much stronger than SI's position in the football management simulation market.

Yeah ideally the game would be perfect on release and that'd be it, but for a game as complex as Football Manager that's far easier said than done. We strive to improve with every version of the game, obviously some people feel that hasn't happened, personally I'd disagree. But that's why we try to be active in the community and listen to what our users have to say. We play the game as well so there's absolutely no way we'd want the game to get worse, we want to enjoy it as much as the people that buy it.

Sure that people here might be minority and all that, but I'm stating things like lack of fun and too much complexity with little bet on graphical side and flaws in the ME since FM08. There where a lot of people stating that Press Conferences in FM09 is too boring, the only ones that seem to enjoy it is the people that work at SI. Sorry but it seems that I have perception of things when you state things and insisting on that feature. I agree that I could be wrong say this.

You seem only to listen to costumers that like the game, instead trying to understand why do this minority don't like these last three installments (in this case of the people state that like FM07 more, then FM10). I think this minority can easily go for the competition and it is you all at Si that loose.

Can you explain that bolded part to me in more detail? Things haven't changed massively since 07 in terms of what the sliders do in general so I don't really understand what you mean by not being able to see the effect of tactics. Just to clarify so things don't kick off as they tend to on here, that is not meant in a snidey/antagonistic manner, just an honest question :)

Basically I mean in newer versions the tactics you create don't necessarily appear when you press 'play' IMO.

I could define several different types of tactic in 07, long ball, possession play, attacking play but not crazy, wing play etc etc and it would look exactly like I would say.

In later versions, including 10, this isn't the case or it isn't as consistent as 07. For example on FM10 I could play a very poor team who have the ability of myself IRL and on paper. Yet you just watch them play like Brazil when scoring a goal. In 07 I could accept being beaten by a poor team because you could see the luck - punt up field, striker latches on and goal. Goal line scrambles to defend the lead which were realistic etc etc....

FM08, 09 and 10 didn't produce scenes which I would associate with RL football. When that happens I can't play the game. I remember 08 with the shots looking like they were going in to space the ball looked so high, then they would go in!

The biggest bug bear for me though is SI's insistance of 'new features' every year. There has been none apart from 3D, whoopy doo.

The FM 07 match engine wasn't that great. Like a lot of the older versions, physical attributes were the most important. I used to get strikers that had 15+ in most physical attributes, but say 10 for finishing, composure, first touch, off the ball etc and they'd create their own chances and score loads.

FM is very complex (for a game), so many areas can effect each other and it all has to be balanced.

I think the ME was very accurate. In the PL you needed to buy pacy players, strong pyshically etc like IRL - where is Robinho now? 3 stone wet through and can't handle the PL.

In foreign leagues such as Italy pace wasn't needed anywhere near as much and this showed in the ME.

Physical ability is incredibly important when it comes to technique. I used to have kickabouts with friends when I was younger, preferring to stay on the right and make crosses into the box, Beckham style. I used to be pretty fit, being able to stay out all day and if I do say so myself, I was pretty decent (I could curl in crosses with the outside of my boot and ping it in off the far post, repeatedly).

Then, I became addicted to chocolate and rubbish food. My fitness went down, and with it, my ability to even strike a ball properly because I was so unfit. When you're in peak physical condition, it's amazing the things you can do.

Blimey, if this thread was about last week I doubt I'd have needed a poll to determine which version of FM to edit! :D

The FM07 ME always seemed a bit 'easier' for me (though I've been playing it mostly with an updated Man City team using my update to be fair :D), but that made it more fun; I think it probably is more 'predictable' with tactics.

I always use the Minimal FuSS V4 (however he does the capital letters.. :D) tactic, as it's a realistic formation that's not a diablo-type, but works well still and is similiar to how I'd like to play (4-4-2 with big target man up front).

While I always find I concede a shedload in FM08 no matter what tactic or team I use.

Basically I mean in newer versions the tactics you create don't necessarily appear when you press 'play' IMO.

I could define several different types of tactic in 07, long ball, possession play, attacking play but not crazy, wing play etc etc and it would look exactly like I would say.

In later versions, including 10, this isn't the case or it isn't as consistent as 07. For example on FM10 I could play a very poor team who have the ability of myself IRL and on paper. Yet you just watch them play like Brazil when scoring a goal. In 07 I could accept being beaten by a poor team because you could see the luck - punt up field, striker latches on and goal. Goal line scrambles to defend the lead which were realistic etc etc....

Fair enough :thup:

FM08, 09 and 10 didn't produce scenes which I would associate with RL football. When that happens I can't play the game. I remember 08 with the shots looking like they were going in to space the ball looked so high, then they would go in!

Again, I agree with that. Especially on 09, all tactics appeared the same or similar. 07 feels like you're in control, and if you make a mistake, you'll be punished for that mistake directly. Slow defenders, high line? If a midfielder gets a chance to play a pass behind your defence, then you're punished. In later versions, it's more like "magic punishment"- if there's a mistake in your tactics, it isn't as obvious what that mistake is, necessarily.

Speaking of talking about older games, in the past few weeks/months I've seen several of the same thread type opened (i.e. "Who Still Plays FM07", "Why Do People Like FM07" and so on), wouldn't it be better if we had stickified single threads, such as an "Official FM07 Appreciation Thread", one for FM08, one for FM09 and so on. Not including 10, because that's the current game out, but when 11 comes out, a thread for 10 could be made.

As there is such a need for closing repeated threads on certain things, doing this might clean things up a bit more and at the same time, give people a central place to discuss a past game?

I think the ME was very accurate. In the PL you needed to buy pacy players, strong pyshically etc like IRL - where is Robinho now? 3 stone wet through and can't handle the PL.

In foreign leagues such as Italy pace wasn't needed anywhere near as much and this showed in the ME.

No it didn't, in fact I was talking about my save in Italy with San Marino (the club, not country).

In FM 07 a physical team with average technical and mental ability was far better than a balanced team with some physical and some technical players. That's not realistic.

Again, I agree with that. Especially on 09, all tactics appeared the same or similar. 07 feels like you're in control, and if you make a mistake, you'll be punished for that mistake directly. Slow defenders, high line? If a midfielder gets a chance to play a pass behind your defence, then you're punished. In later versions, it's more like "magic punishment"- if there's a mistake in your tactics, it isn't as obvious what that mistake is, necessarily.

Spot on, I can control my defence perfectly well in 07 and my general tactics too. I can see the errors and correct them if I need to.

Like you said if there are defenders who are slow they get punished which happens IRL but you can combat it, you can shape your team by having a speedy and a slow defender at CB positions. If you want attacking full backs they need to be very good otherwise you will notice the opposition wingers getting in behind them all the time, to combat this you simply tell them to not get forward - hey presto it works!

Other versions after 07 are way too random. I can watch my team and think, who the hell are they? I didn't tell them to play like that! Such a shame.

Speaking of talking about older games, in the past few weeks/months I've seen several of the same thread type opened (i.e. "Who Still Plays FM07", "Why Do People Like FM07" and so on), wouldn't it be better if we had stickified single threads, such as an "Official FM07 Appreciation Thread", one for FM08, one for FM09 and so on. Not including 10, because that's the current game out, but when 11 comes out, a thread for 10 could be made.

As there is such a need for closing repeated threads on certain things, doing this might clean things up a bit more and at the same time, give people a central place to discuss a past game?

Good idea. Maybe it could even be a case for a seperate forum, 'Classic FM's' or something.

I’m surprised that 08 was not the pinnacle of the 2d only match engine games because 01/02 was the best of the text only games and the CM4 was a mess at release. And CM97/98 was the best of the CM2 series.

FM07 is still an excellent game now. The match engine consistently produces believable passages of play and allows tactical flexibility.

It’s a little biased in favour of players with speed and strength which has a knock on effect on the regens who suffer from having Pace almost directly linked to PA so any youngster with pace of fifteen or higher is a good buy, the regen process also has a few other issues.

Also AI teams were too unwilling to make bids for players who were not playing that season.

Overall three years later and in many ways the series has moved backwards or stagnated. The match engine while it may be technically more advanced carrying out many more calculations routinely creates unbelievable situations that break the illusion of watching a match. The game is more frequently interrupted with multiple choice questions, the answers from which you’re asked to pick often not corresponding to the effects that they seem to suggest. And the regen process still has glaring flaws with attributes that are considered the most important to a position being given no weighting when a new player is created resulting in them frequently being so low players are unsuited to their position.

AI transfer activity has now tipped too far in the other direction.

No it didn't, in fact I was talking about my save in Italy with San Marino (the club, not country).

In FM 07 a physical team with average technical and mental ability was far better than a balanced team with some physical and some technical players. That's not realistic.

It depends on what level you played at and what league. That was the thing with 07, it was diverse.

I remember playing as Worksop in the Conference North. I took them to League one on a budget of about ZERO! I played a 4-4-2 and it worked great, picking up released players all over Europe who suited my tactics and who I thought who do well against the general opposition in that league.

Then I went to Italy to manage Ragusa in the Serie C2C. I took them to Serie B but the tactic had to be changed as the successful one with Worksop wouldn't work in Italy and the style of players wouldn't work either.

All I can go on is experience. In my experience this has always been the case in 07, very realistic. In 08 onwards no matter who I choose/pick it doesn't matter, very random.

Tempted to install FM2007 again. I think that was last FM I truly played the hell out of. Since then its been a on and off love affair. I did not like FM2008 but I really got into fm2008 when they released the final patch. FM2010 I despise so far.

I think a problem for me is that with each release you have to micro manage more and they seem to add more time sinks in the game. Not a problem for most maybe but I play with 2 other people on 1 pc so its kinda to long winded now which is a shame really as its the way we have played since Champo Italia.

Wow how long do you intend to live with these people?

Championship manager italia....god that brings back memories, sweet memories. I still remember playing the very first incarnation of championship manager, on the amstrad i believe? Can't remember as it was my mate's computer. Bought every subsequent game and then stopped playing after CM 4. Toying with the idea of playing it again with FM10, but will only buy the game if the 10.3 patch feedback is positive at least.

FM is indeed a complex game, and i appreciate how difficult it is to make. Each aspect of it affects the other, and the AI is still what it is...better, but glitchy(players are way too prissy if the demo is anything to go by), but anyhow, i'd rather buy a great game every 2 yrs than a bug-ridden one every year. It's not entirely fair to buy a game in october and have to wait for a playable version in march. Of course i'm only basing this on alot of feedback i've seen and heard from players. Gonna stop typing now, it's for the best...

Cm96/97 was the best :D I fondly remember in the 2000s how I found a website that was doing database updates for the newest seasons and teams :o I was ****ing myself from happyness even contributed some players and staff.

But I admit to blasphemy... my first ever manager game that I love so deeply was Ultimate Soccer Manager.. or USM.exe as I remember it :D hehehe

How many developers would actually come onto a forum and engage in a discussion with their customers ?!? Well done Neil : )

Its a shame that Neil hasn't entered into the discussion in the thread I've linked to below. When ever there is a debate about things in the game that are blatantly flawed the developers are usually absent ...... or the thread is locked

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=192146

I remember when you used to respond promptly to reports of bugs with patches, these days we have to wait months and are lucky if we get the January data update before Easter.

In FM 2006, 10 Points clear in premier league(yep, I going for my 4th prermier league titles in rows! Woot!), League cup final again for 4th times in rows!

Score 100 goals in 27 games! Whoafff !

I just used 2 Tactics which are 3-1-2-2-2(Either home or away game) or 4-1-2-2-1(sometime i used that against very hard team!)

A game as complex as Football Manager? It's not like we are trying to split the atom now is it?

Creating AI and simulating how it would work in terms of a football match, different transfer systems, different styles of play etc for thousands upon thousand of matches is probably more complex tbh

Creating AI and simulating how it would work in terms of a football match, different transfer systems, different styles of play etc for thousands upon thousand of matches is probably more complex tbh

Thats laughable. EA have done a pretty decent job with the match engine and AI in the Fifa series so maybe we should get them to solve the worlds energy crisis (as that surely would be far easier)

Thats laughable. EA have done a pretty decent job with the match engine and AI in the Fifa series so maybe we should get them to solve the worlds energy crisis (as that surely would be far easier)

FIFA isnt trying to do what FM is trying to do, pretty **** poor comparison tbh

Who said anything about solving the worlds energy crisis?

FIFA isnt trying to do what FM is trying to do, pretty **** poor comparison tbh

Who said anything about solving the worlds energy crisis?

You have a point - Fifa have improved on their match engine over the last 3 editions whilst FM have made theirs worse, so you're right in a way :p

Oh and the last bit - well you said making a computer game is clearly much harder than nuclear physics, so surely these guys would be better off working on something that would aid humanity more than another football 'videogame'

You have a point - Fifa have improved on their match engine over the last 3 editions whilst FM have made theirs worse, so you're right in a way :p

Oh and the last bit - well you said making a computer game is clearly much harder than nuclear physics, so surely these guys would be better off working on something that would aid humanity more than another football 'videogame'

Maybe you should take up computer programming and solve this simple problem.

I didnt say that, I said creating detailed and complex AI is harder, there is no such thing as the perfect AI but there is a known method for splitting atoms since 1932. Next you'll be telling me how easy it is to run a football club. You're a nuclear physics & computer software expert, hold on and I get on my knees!!

07 struck me as more playable than 10

i enjoyed 07 alot

Thats what it boils down to in the end. For me, and a lot of people on here I'm guessing, FM07 was more enjoyable that the installments that have come since. At the minute FM10 feels like another job which I'm not paid to do and gain no enjoyment from :p

I must admit i love playing FM10, it was really a good game. But i dug out FM07,and i forgot how good the game was. The game plays so fast and realistic, and it's so easy to pick up and play. To me in terms of speed and realism, this must rate as one of the best FM. I love playing it at the moment and it has stop me from using FM10 at the moment.

I remember getting FM 2008, and being pretty disappointed. Not because it was bad, but because I was enjoying FM 2007 so much, and really had no reason to move on. And it turned out that 2008 was hardly an improvement - adding to the disappointment.

FM 2007 was a great version. I may have to follow in your footsteps and start it up again.

A game as complex as Football Manager? It's not like we are trying to split the atom now is it?

Yeah, or not...

For the most part, computer programming is actually pretty simple.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Ooooooooh SI Games is intentionally breaking the game, haha some of the posts I've read in this thread have come from some proper class W****** I have to say!

If you're going to make such a rediculous comment about the game developers do us all a favour and P*** off.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Ooooooooh SI Games is intentionally breaking the game, haha some of the posts I've read in this thread have come from some proper class W****** I have to say!

If you're going to make such a rediculous comment about the game developers do us all a favour and P*** off.

That would be SI games are, and also, watch your language mate :)

I remember getting FM 2008, and being pretty disappointed. Not because it was bad, but because I was enjoying FM 2007 so much, and really had no reason to move on. And it turned out that 2008 was hardly an improvement - adding to the disappointment.

FM 2007 was a great version. I may have to follow in your footsteps and start it up again.

I was the same way with FM07, my career game went on for so long that I didnt get '08 until the Christmas after its release

If only there was a data update from 2010 for FM07 then I'd play it all the time :(

There was one mentioned earlier in the thread. I've not tried it but if the updates were made along with the start date changed to 2010 then I'd be more than interested in switching back

It was an amazing game! If 10.3 doesn't do it for me I reckon I will end up going back. Had my best 2 saves on FM07 of any game ever; it was light-years ahead of 08 imho, simply no comparison.

Ditto, I haven't played at all since 10.2., am going to wait for 10.3 and if I still feel the same I will probably re-install 07.

Wasn't particularly keen on 08 I think I just downloaded Kimz tactic because I couldn't be bothered with it and it's the same with 2010, the fun element just seems to be dying for me.

In complete contrast I remember taking hours making a 4-5-1 for Portsmouth on 07 (and spending the money they didn't have) trying to get everything perfect.

FM 07 was great, no doubt about it, but it FM06 has to be my favourite. Started at Aston Villa, went to Spurs, then finished at Man United where I won every trophy possible in one season. Can't get into FM10 in the same way, mostly because I'm not very good at it lol

You can buy FM07 on amazon for £5 brand new if you miss it. I have ordered it after stupidly giving away my copy when 08 came out! For me it is just the best FM game and I am genuinly excited to play it again! I wish someone started an official FM2007 thread like suggested previous times by people.

I have to say FM07 is still my favorite (only been playing since FM05) in terms of pure enjoyment, but I have to say FM10 isn't far behind it. I like the new features (especially the shouts) and although it requires a bit more thought than 07 I'm having no problem getting in to career saves (not that said careers are always successful ones!).

I kinda like FM10. Big improvement over 2009, especially in terms of how 'smoothly' the 3d match engine runs. In terms of all the new features...well...i don't really use them that much. Press conferences get so repetitive that I always get the assman to take care of them - so I feel these could be easily removed in FM11 and nobody would miss them much.

Shouts? Meh, I mainly like FM for the fact that you don't have to spend hour glued to the monitor in order to achieve something in this game. The greatest thing about FM is that it does not require your attention all the time, so you can be doing other things while playing FM. At least, this is how it used to be, before shouts were implemented.

I will agree with the statement that the game development has stagnated. Improvements are only token, and apart from the 3D view there hasn't been a single major change over the past 2-3 years.

I will probably draw some nasty comments here but: SI should take a VERY close look at FIFA Manager. Not in terms of gameplay, but innovativeness. There is so much depth in that game that FM looks like something that was put together after hours by a bunch of basement-bound amateur coders. Obviously, not everyone agree but still - I envy FIFA Manager fans, just for the facts that they actually get something new every year. Youth academies, control over club finances - I realise these are not the day to day responsibilities of an average manager, but they do add some playability to a game. Some people will complain by a lack of REALISM that these new features would bring about - but seriously, how can you talk about realism while sitting on your bum in front of a computer looking at 23 large groups of coloured pixels chasing a small group of black and white pixels?

Don't get me wrong - I think the game is great, but there is plenty of room for improvement. The developers however seem to conform to the rule of not fixing something that is good. They seem to ignore the fact it could be better than good though. I personally want more depth. If the functionality of FIFA Manager was to be mixed with the stability, user-friendliness and smooth gameplay of FM we would have a truly excellent management game.

Archived