Do you have a keeper on the bench??

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A GK is always my sub #1, whether there's 3, 5 or 7 subs to be named!

Rarely use him though.. but you don't gain that much of an advantage by not naming him really..

I sometimes name two in a friendly when you can name 12 subs

I always 100% have a keeper on the bench. Esp now there's 7 slots. I know a lot of people will not put a keeper on there though.

I tend to have GK, CB, FB, CM, MRL, AM/F, ST as my bench set up.

This is all exactly the same as me :thup:

Although in leagues where you are ony allowed 3 subs, I have a CB, a player who can cover at least two attacking midfield positions and a striker. If it is a cup game though I always use a sub GK too.

I always 100% have a keeper on the bench. Esp now there's 7 slots. I know a lot of people will not put a keeper on there though.

I tend to have GK, CB, FB, CM, MRL, AM/F, ST as my bench set up.

same here too except for goalkeeper, i never use a GK on the bench except for friendlies.

• 2 months later...

More interestingly, do people keep a 3rd keeper in the active squad? One of my top 2 keepers is away every 2 years for the Africa Cup of Nations, and I've been bitten by having to start a youth guy... I now even burn one of my 25 slots in the Premiership to register a 3rd keeper!

More interestingly, do people keep a 3rd keeper in the active squad? One of my top 2 keepers is away every 2 years for the Africa Cup of Nations, and I've been bitten by having to start a youth guy... I now even burn one of my 25 slots in the Premiership to register a 3rd keeper!

Seeing as I don't even bother with a sub keeper, no! I do normally look for talented youth keepers to put in the reserves or youth team though just in case of emergency.

Since I started this thread my habit of no sub keeper very nearly bit me on the ass! As Spurs my superstar regen keeper got crocked after 37 mins when I was 2-0 up at the scums stadium in a proper 6 pointer. Up stepped a regen defender from the bench to go in nets. I quickly realised that the only way I was going to prevent a mauling was by not letting them have the ball and playing as far from my goal as possible. A very high line, some retain possession and pass to feet shouts later, I saw out the remaining 53 minutes with them only managing one shot on target and my boys adding a 3rd on the stroke of full time.

Who needs sub keepers!

Ideally I'll have a 3/9/9/4 squad, although sometimes you just have to get "that player", so it almost never happens and I almost never have more than two keepers in the squad.

I always have a keeper on the bench, just in case.. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of seeing my keeper sent off in FM, but it happened a lot in CM.. so it's basically an "instinct" now, I don't think about it too much.

Unless the spare keepers are injured I allways have a keeper on the bench. Outfield players can often cover multiple roles efficiently, even if they aren't rated as being able to play there they can normally do the job well enough to finish off the match. But only keepers can play as keepers and having anything other than a keeper inbetween the sticks is playing russian roulette with your chances.

i agree always have a gk on the bench ! better safe than sorry is how i look at it. suppose its up to each person if they wanna or not but its not nice havin to put an outfielder in goals and itd just be likely to happen when yer playing a big match ! :p

It's only hurt me once in more then 10 years of CM/FM per release more or less. The games I can change with a wider range of attacking players wins we more titles then having a keeper on the bench has, but each person has their own history and how bad its hurt them.

im in the season 2036 and don't use a keeper on the bench only once has my keeper been injured and i had already won the league, i use the spare spot for a young player im unsure of that can have a run out if we are winning well

even then the chances you will need him are so small I don't even think about it any more. Be positive, that and I have a 16 y old as my CB sub, a 17 y/old striker and a 18 y/old mid in the prem. So I need extra out field players who are a little older. Still feels I get more from it then having some one I will use less then once a season of the bench.

Having a GK on the bench depends on which team I play as. Take my current game as Bristol Rovers. I have two good goalkeepers (for League One level) in Mikel Andersen and Rhys Evans. However, I have extra loanees in as well (6 in total), which means I have to leave a loanee out. Considering Rovers have their faults, I keep Andersen out (as he's the loanee) and have 7 outfield subs.

It's a risk, but considering they are both pretty fit, healthy and relatively sensible goalkeepers I don't foresee them being sent off any time soon. thus, I keep going with this. Plus, it does benefit my squad system better having the seven options as opposed to six. We lack depth in quality after my loanees go out of the game, so I need to adapt the team if I have to take one of them off.

Always.

Subs: GK, DRL, DC/DM, MRC, AMRLC, AMC/FC, ST. Every time.

Have bout the same configuration. This way you cover whole field twice.

But this just struck me! Spend 7 seasons with my team, played more than 300 matches but never was forced to make a GK change! Whenever I did it was just my own desire.

Weird.

More likely to see a striker go down injured when you're chasing a game than to see a keeper go down injured at all. Two strikers on the bench is worth it, sub one in for the injured player and then you still have an extra man if you need a late formation change. Also go for the classic 4-2-4 when you need a goal desperately

Never had one. Over 10 seasons I've needed one once, when I was at Chelsea. I had Phil Jagielka in my team, who had a rating of 2 or 3 for keeping, plus his rating in the position of keeper was only "Awkward". He had already scored the opener in that game from 30 yards, he went on to make a great save leading up to the second goal. Brilliant performance.

When I was at Wednesday, I had my two keepers out for a Europa league match away against AC Milan, I turned to Jagielka (who I'd signed from Chelsea) ahead of my youth keepers to start in goal.

Never had one. Over 10 seasons I've needed one once, when I was at Chelsea. I had Phil Jagielka in my team, who had a rating of 2 or 3 for keeping, plus his rating in the position of keeper was only "Awkward". He had already scored the opener in that game from 30 yards, he went on to make a great save leading up to the second goal. Brilliant performance.

When I was at Wednesday, I had my two keepers out for a Europa league match away against AC Milan, I turned to Jagielka (who I'd signed from Chelsea) ahead of my youth keepers to start in goal.

...and?! How'd he do?

...and?! How'd he do?

I was hoping no-one asked me that bit. I lost 4-3. But I did win the return match 1-0 to progress (with my 2nd choice keeper back, at about 80% fitness).

Still reckon my youth keepers woulda been worse. They're useless.

TBH this is exactly why I always have 1. Just in case.

You can only use 3 subs anyway so why is there a need for 7 outfield players if you can provide cover for your entire team in 6?

BINGO!

It is, IMO, lazy thinking that you need 7 outfield subs on the bench when you can only use 3. Get more versatile players, and don't be afraid to change formation in a crisis.

How many RL professional managers don't keep a sub keeper on the bench? I remember Warnock doing it for Sheff. Utd., but that was because their second best goalkeeper was, in fact, Jagielka, the starting CB.

I always have a keeper on the bench. Nearly every season I've ever played I've had a keeper injured or, less often, sent off. It is aggravating to go 30+ matches and find now and then you wished you had so-and-so on the bench instead of the keeper who has only kept fit by being available for the reserves for the last 7 months, but when the infrequent occasions arrive, I always pat myself on the back for sticking to my guns ;)

I ALWAYS have a keeper on the bench. Ever since I have started playing although I can't remeber once when my keepers been sent off (maybe once) but I still stick on on the bench. Also if your keepers having a stinker, you can substitute them, I conceded 3 in the 1st half once so I substituted my keeper and although I didn't pull any goals back, I didn't concede anymore!

Archived