[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

Yea i was trying to decide between sunday league and automatic. Think I'll go with automatic as it seems to give more realistic job offers in the game I'm currently playing

Sunday league is lowest.. Automatic means Random. (But decided with also leagues you open)

Usually I'm doing with my journeyman careers with all available leagues open. Because of this I given the editor thing to priority. And I want to play in the real game world... I didn't started yet to this years journeyman game but I know some aspects like where am I start to this career.

It must be in unemployed but starting point 27.11.2008 @ malaysia (of course if new created leagues not give better time in November I think I saw a 24 November but not remember where)

I'm applying every club and every National Team that currently need a manager. Usually I'm getting same day some job offers (Specially this year most of the clubs lacking manager in newly created leagues) I'm selecting earliest start. Last year most malaysian clubs had a manager already and I started in a brazilian serie c club.... But this year probably malaysia will be more open. And also This year we have more November and December starting leagues... Like vietnam and some oceanian leagues... After few years and with some national teams I have chance for new jobs in europe and also I'm %100 making 1 year contracts...

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up going with a bunch of european nations and have ended up the the Swedish 2nd division. Enjoying it actually as they are halfway through the season which gives me a chance to go with a squad already together then make my own changes ahead of the next season. I usually find the hardest part of getting into a new game having to go through the initial pre-season.

i just seem to buy the same players every new game, or at least try to and it gets boring. With a journeyman game those players are at other clubs and usually not available so you need to cast your eyes elsewhere. Gets you finding players you normally wouldnt, eg i guy at litex, 18yo amc who looks awesome and i had never heard of him nor seen anyone post about him, i doubt id ever send a scout to bulgaria to find youth so its already working!!

i find its best to apply and declare interest in all jobs and then choose who oyu want, for me a journeyman game is better when you start unemployed.

I loaded all leagues from, england, spain, italy, scotland, wales, sweden, bulgaria, argentina, brazil, denmark, czech, ukrain.

Took the job at litex in Bulgaria, only played 4 friendlies but 4 wins, 18 for 0 against, im sure it wont last long...

yeah i started unemployed mate and did that and ended up with the met police job :p

Always keep one of these saves going along with standard clubs i like to play with. Just started up with England, Holland, Germany, Russia, Spain and Italy loaded between 2-4 leagues each. Got a job at Vityaz Podlosk in the Russian First Division. It's very cold thus far.

nice, will be a stuggle getting success with them!! Ithink you will probably get them up into the leagues then the over seas jobs start coming in, remember to check job securities and declare interest in insecure roles

is what i plan to do mate. wana get them up a few leagues get a few league titles then go off to another club.

I just this min won my first game 4-1. i have signed alot of players on free and they are fantastic signings and had good debuts so i reckon i could win promotion back to back as i checked out the league above me and i dont see much of a gulf in class.

I'd like to thank the OP, I sort of lost interest in the game til I read this thread. I've played games like this before, but I usually end up sticking with the first team that hires me. I've decided that it'll change now. Probably stick with a team for 2 years and move on til I reach the team I support.

After reading this I have decided to start a journeyman career. I have set up all of England, all of Scotland, All of Italy and Wales.

I am a sunday league player and got a shock with who approached me to be manager Dunfirmline in the Scottish First Division. They have just been taken over by Simon Jordan and he got rid of the last manager as he wanted his own guy and approached me!!!! I had been at no other club and it was just November. I am glad that I have decided to do this so I think this is going to be a really enjoyable game.

After reading this thread yesterday, I started one last night and within a few days I got a job offer from Aberystwyth Town in the Wales Premier League, I took it and its been really interesting so far, Ive played 20 games and I'm sitting in 3rd which is quite a success and i've managed to bring in a few decent free transfers. Enjoying this one more than my usual Man Utd saves.

Here was where I read it. We switched to sunday league footballer for my challenge a while ago when we realised that automatic didn't always give you the lowest starting reputation.

Thanks Dafuge. :thup:

Well automatic adjusts depending on the leagues you load, though some of the options aren't available if you don't load enough lower divisions anyway. So not really sure why automatic is needed.

I've checked the bugs forum regarding what automatic is actually supposed to do and someone from SI has replied with the following:

- When you start on 'automatic' you start with around the lowest WR of the teams in your league.

- When you start unemployed, it's around the lowest of leagues loaded in the game.

So it obviously isn't an intentional change to the way that automatic reputation works and therefore must be a 'bug'.

Regards,

C.

I too have jumped on the bandwagon and started a game like this.

Loaded all leagues from England and Denmark, and the top 2 leagues from Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Finland, Greece, Bulgaria, Poland, Germany and Russia.

Started holiday and applying for all jobs, but have rejected the 3 offers I have gotten so far - I want to start at a club with a cool name, nice colours or something like that ;)

I left it holidaying away last night, so let's see what's on offer when I get home from work today. I'm hoping to start in Hungary, Finland or Iceland!

I set up a game on 'automatic' rep the other day, with BSS/BSN levels loaded up. After holidaying for a year, in order to take over at a newly promoted team, I got offered the Oldham job in League One. So if automatic is meant to do what it says, it seems there's something wrong with it.

I tend to do the empire-building thing as well, on the whole. The only journeyman career I ever had was back in FM07, where I went from Newtown (Welsh Premier) to Newport (Blue Square South), to Wrexham (Conference) and then (after a few successive promotions) to Everton (Prem).

I quite fancy trying a 'trip down the Danube', managing teams in Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Ukraine, preferably at clubs based near to the river ;)

I saw this thread yesterday and it got me thinking on trying this type of game. First offer I got was for a Norwegian club - Stejn (or something like that) 4 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses. I've never managed there, but will try it out. Still having trouble getting into a groove in FM10. Maybe this will help me get into it.

My most recent and enjoyable journeyman game was in FM09 where I started managing in the Norwegian second division. Spent about 4 years gaining promotion through the first divsion and finally into the premier league, but before the premeir league season started I jumped ship to the second division in Holland. Stayed there for a season before moving on to Serie B in Italy and finally the Championship with Middlesborough.

It's enjoyable, but pretty tough, and I refuse to move down in salary when jumping clubs in a game like this.

I'll do another one in FM10 as soon as I'm done with my Liverpool save and I have some time on my hands. Maybe after the next or final patch.

Guys, just out of interest - I've loaded about 24 leagues from 8 countries; how long will it be before the game becomes difficult for me in terms of speed?

Because if it'll be two or three seasons, then I'll start a new game right away.

Any answers guys? I'm planning on an all nighter tonight so I need to know if it's worth carrying on or not?

I remember something about that, weren't people who were around 45 or above getting a higher reputation when using automatic? And everyone younger got a low reputation similar/same as Sunday League?

Yes, it seemed that age had an effect on reputation with automatic but not with Sunday league footballer.

Crouch:

Just did a little test on Genie Scout, with various European leagues loaded (lowest rep Slovakian second div, 6/20) and added 5 identical 26yr old unemployed managers. Reps below in spoiler tags, for anyone who doesn't want to know them.

Sunday league: 1500

Semi-pro: 3250

Pro: 6000

International: 8000

Automatic: 6000

(On the other thread linked to, automatic came out with a 7000 rep, so there probably is a bit of variation depending on which leagues you choose)

So yeah, I'd say either automatic rep isn't working properly, or the definition has changed drastically. Incidentally, the automatic rep stayed the same if I was unemployed or chose to manage various low rep teams.

If you're looking to start a career game as an unemployed manager at a lower-level, avoid automatic!

Edit -- changing age to 45+ and 60+ made no difference to automatic rep, nor did changing the manager nationality between high or low rep nations.

Starting this again, but with less leagues loaded and set starting reputation to sunday-league footballer. Have loaded all leagues from France, Sweden, Germany and Scotland. Also loaded England (down to league 2), Italy (Serie B), Spain (liga adelante) and Welsh Premier.

Edit: Have taken the job at Utsikten in Swedish Second Division West Gotaland who are sitting in 6th.

Crouch:

Just did a little test on Genie Scout, with various European leagues loaded (lowest rep Slovakian second div, 6/20) and added 5 identical 26yr old unemployed managers. Reps below in spoiler tags, for anyone who doesn't want to know them.

Sunday league: 1500

Semi-pro: 3250

Pro: 6000

International: 8000

Automatic: 6000

(On the other thread linked to, automatic came out with a 7000 rep, so there probably is a bit of variation depending on which leagues you choose)

So yeah, I'd say either automatic rep isn't working properly, or the definition has changed drastically. Incidentally, the automatic rep stayed the same if I was unemployed or chose to manage various low rep teams.

If you're looking to start a career game as an unemployed manager at a lower-level, avoid automatic!

Edit -- changing age to 45+ and 60+ made no difference to automatic rep, nor did changing the manager nationality between high or low rep nations.

Thanks for posting this RT. Good work. :thup:

Seems totally random to me. I cannot understand why they would change it? :confused:

Thought it always worked very well in the past. Guessing it must be an unintentional change.

Sunday League is definitely the way to go for any journeyman starting at the bottom considering the way it is at the moment.

Regards,

C.

Journeyman career games are the bomb diggy, and thats a fact:thup:

Always had the most fun when I start from the bottom and bounce around from country to country. I've got one set up at the moment with England, Italy, Germany and France. A bit tame country wise but one of the problems I've found with career games in the past is what to do with the smaller nations. In 09 I used to put nations like Australia etc in but once you get to a certain point you don't really want to drop down into them. I kinda wish I'd put Wales and Sweden in as well, they're always quite fun to manage in.

I'm on my second career game of FM10 though as I destroyed the first. I think the tips in the OP's link are worth bearing in mind :) Especially when it comes to leaving a club too soon. I had some initial success which let me jump up leagues, then I had a bad run with a few jobs until I got to the point where I was only being approached by clubs in the lowest league again. I jumped too soon on that one!

This one's going alright though :D Took over Pisa in C2, got them promoted in the second season and now I'm top of the C1. My carefully scouted youngsters are finally coming good! It's great to see your youth team come through.

What does that mean? :confused:

Sorry, I've been listening to a CD of 90's hits all day and Bomb Diggy by Another Level came on. I should have just stuck with saying awesome :)

The worst bit is when you catch yourself humming Ace of Bass :D

I just got linked to a job for the first time in the career. I don't think I'll be leaving on form, and solvent, Pisa for bottom of the German third division RW Essen though!

I had quite a good journeyman game on FM 07 and in hindsight wish I'd seen it through, took the reigns over at Redditch whose media prediction was bottom of the BSN, was there for years, slowly building up on a team on nothing before getting them promoted to the conference where i was keeping them well clear of relegation. Macclesfield, in the same league at the time, came calling and took the gig with a much better fan base and wage budget. got them out the conference and lead them to mid table comfort in league 2 then i was offered the colchester job who had just been relegated from league one. Their media prediction was 1st and nothing but promotion was expected! had a torrid time and was languishing in the lower half of the league with little chance of even challenging for the play offs and I got fired. Never bothered with the save after that, shame really should have continued.

I'm having such fun with my current save as Cambridge having built them into a team challenging for the championship play offs that I want to see this save through to its natural conclusion. If after this season i have a couple of mid table or battling against relegation seasons then it might be time to let the save go.

My next planned game is not really a proper journeyman one but I'm planning loading in a number of good standard top divisions going in as a former pro and floating from country to country!

But I also quite fancy going right down the league pyramids and starting from there sometime. the possibilities on fm are endless, its no wonder its so addictive!

problem with my current save is I've only got the English leagues loaded from the BSN/BSS and next up I want to manage outwith England! Will keep this save when I've had enough of Cambridge as always getting linked and have been offered Prem jobs so shouldnt be a problem to get a job in top flight or championship!

I have one of these running with that data editor file with all the English leagues down to level 10, and also Scotland and the USA. Right now I'm managing Sawbridgeworth Town, trying to get them up to the Isthmian League. Picked up a qualifying round win against someone two levels up in the FA Cup, but couldn't do it twice in a row, and also qualified for the first round of the FA Vase, so the cups are going well. We're just barely above the drop but it's only five games into the season so I'm not worried yet.

After four games I was already linked with a move to the Austin Aztex, so the USA must have pretty low standards in this game.

Outside of the MLS, the caliber of soccer leagues in the US would be considered very low reputation. The MLS can hold its own against many of the world's top divisions, though. In FM, the MLS reputation is 12... same as Uruguay, Colombia, Denmark, Romania, Switzerland, Serie B and Liga Adelante. Curious, what reputation have the editors/creators of the league given the Aztex's league?

I started playing FM this way in FM08 and had some great saves, despite having little succes and only getting a few years of play.

In FM08 it went: unemployed, Burghausen (8 months, sacked), Luebeck (2 years and 4 months), Aalen (3 years and 7 months, sacked), Rodengo (5 months, relegated out of Serie C2), SW Essen (stopped playing after 3 months because I got FM09

In FM09 I had a great time at Braintree. First season I was within the top 5 for the entire season, finished 2nd and lost in the playoff semi-final. Two seasons later I could not avoid getting them relegated out of BSS. I then took newly promoted Ilkeston to a midtable finish. After that FM10 came out

Now on FM10 I have Belgium, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Scotland and Spain, all leagues loaded, started unemployed and have took Veldwezelt in Belgian 3rd Division B.

Outside of the MLS, the caliber of soccer leagues in the US would be considered very low reputation. The MLS can hold its own against many of the world's top divisions, though. In FM, the MLS reputation is 12... same as Uruguay, Colombia, Denmark, Romania, Switzerland, Serie B and Liga Adelante. Curious, what reputation have the editors/creators of the league given the Aztex's league?

I haven't looked but I'm sure it's poor. USL isn't even playable by default, I had to go into the data editor and set it that way.

I had a good 'journeyman career on 09.

Started unemployed, before getting job at Hannover at Christmas. 14 months later I moved to Parma who had been promoted Serie A but were struggling, after saving them from relegation, I was snapped up by an underperforming Man City, where I finished 3rd in my first season 3rd and FA cup runners up. My second season was a massive success -won thje league and FA Cup and the UEFA cup (finished 3rd in my Champs League group). That summer I moved to a very rich AC Milan and was joined by 3 of my former Man City players and Jari Litmanen (a player of mine at Hannover and a coach at Man City). I also spent my highest ever (in any game) transfer fee (£110m) to sign World player of the year Cesc Fabregas) - mostly funded by the sale of Gourcouff to Man City of all people (£87m). My first full year in Italy (having only spent 6 months at Parma) was a struggle. Fourth in the league and Italian Cup semi-finalists meant I was clinging to my job and I swear only my victory in the Champions League final, against bitter rivals and league winners Inter, was the only thing that saved me from the chop. When I finished that game (to play FM10) I was still at AC (but had had offers from top clubs in England, which I turned down as I wanted to conquer Spain next) but was also managing England.

I intend to have another journey man game on FM10, and hope I can enjoy it as much as I did on 09.

Played ten games at Utsikten to finish off first season and ended up in 7th place. Had glimpses of good performances, so hopefully some decent signings and more consitency next season then I may be able to push for the promotion spot.

Archived