[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

Well the MLS was much easier this year, there were a few dodgy results along the way but I never looked like not winning it. Also won the US Cup for the first time but tbh I had an easy route to the final not that I wouldn't mind the same happening again. The club is looking a lot stronger this season and am in the North American Champions League Q-finals, which whilst winnable, I'd need someone else to knock out Atlas as they are simply too strong for me right now.

Mexico is still fun, with World Cup qualification on course, although I should have thrashed a couple teams so far and failed to do so, but a win is a win so can't complain too much there. Will quit after the next World Cup which is in 1.5 years but along the way I could still win the Confederations Cup and Gold Cup so plenty chances for trophies before travelling the world.

Season   Country    Club              Division                                 Finish       Other
2009/10  Wales      Aberystwyth       Principality Welsh Premier               1st          League Cup Winner
2010/11  Wales      Aberystwyth       Principality Welsh Premier               1st          FA Cup Winner
2011/12  Wales      Aberystwyth       Principality Welsh Premier                            Resigned in January
2011/12  England    Plymouth          League One                               7th          Resigned in May
2012/13  S.Africa   Free State Stars  Premier Soccer League                    10th
2013/14  S.Africa   Free State Stars  Premier Soccer League                    3rd          
2014/15  S.Africa   Free State Stars  Premier Soccer League                    1st          FA Cup Winners, Charity Cup Winners
2015/16  S.Africa   Free State Stars  Premier Soccer League                    1st          African Confederations Cup Winners, Super Cup Winners, Knockout Cup Winners
2016/17  S.Africa   Free State Stars  Premier Soccer League                                 African Champions League Winners, Charity Cup Winners, Super 8 Cup Winners
2016/17  Argentina  Boca Juniors      Premier Division                         1st          Copa Liberatadores Winners
2017/18  Argentina  Boca Juniors      Premier Division                         1st          Copa Sudamericana
2018/19  America    Columbus Crew     MLS                                      2nd
2019/20  America    Columbus Crew     MLS                                      1st
2020/21  America    Columbus Crew     MLS                                      1st          USA Cup Winners, Pan-Pacific Championship Winners

Season   Country       Competition                              Finish
2009/10  Cook Islands  OCE Nations Cup                          3rd in Premlim Table
2010/11  Cook Islands  None                                     None
2011/12  Cook Islands  OCE Nations Cup                          3rd in Prelim Table
2011/12  Togo          World Cup Quals - Stage 2 (Afr)          1st in Qual Group - Stage 2
2012/13  Togo          World Cup Quals - Stage 3 (Afr)          1st in Qual Group - Stage 3
2013/14  Togo          World Cup / African Nations		Group Stage / Q-Finals
2014/15  Togo          African Nations Qual                     Resigned in March
2015/16
2016/17  Tunisia       World Cup Quals                          2nd
2017/18  Tunisia       African Nations
2018/19  Mexico
2019/20  Mexico        Gold Cup / Copa America                  Winners / Runners-Up
2020/21  Mexico        World Cup Quals - Stage 2 (NAM)          1st

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mexico will ruin my plans of every Champions League title, their teams are so much stronger than the USA sides as I've not seen a USA team in the finals since I moved to that country and even though I have a half decent team we just cannot compete against them. Maybe in ten seasons time but I'm not known for having much patience in this game so might give up on that side of the challenge and move to a new country. Not playing today due to lack of time, doubt I will tomorrow so got plenty of time to decide to move to stay.

I think Mexico will ruin my plans of every Champions League title, their teams are so much stronger than the USA sides as I've not seen a USA team in the finals since I moved to that country and even though I have a half decent team we just cannot compete against them. Maybe in ten seasons time but I'm not known for having much patience in this game so might give up on that side of the challenge and move to a new country. Not playing today due to lack of time, doubt I will tomorrow so got plenty of time to decide to move to stay.

Mexico loaded ?

Guest Rafe Kage
Nope :( MLS seemed too appealed at the beginning so picked them as my North American league.

Am absolutely loving your career and am inspired to start my own over the weekend.

I had some good success in FM 08 but skipped 09 and will install FM 10 tomorrow.

One question (from someone who tends to stay with one team before reading this thread) do you invest time and/or money on backroom staff/faciltiies if you don't intedn on beig there very long?

Thanks, and it's nice to hear some people are reading and liking my career - I almost feel guilty that Dragon Age has arrived and will likely slow down my updates.

I've found it's still worth doing, there is no way of knowing how long your going to be at that club and what you think will be a short stay could turn into 4-5 seasons and you'll regret not setting things up the same as normal in the beginning.

Thanks, and it's nice to hear some people are reading and liking my career - I almost feel guilty that Dragon Age has arrived and will likely slow down my updates.

I've found it's still worth doing, there is no way of knowing how long your going to be at that club and what you think will be a short stay could turn into 4-5 seasons and you'll regret not setting things up the same as normal in the beginning.

why didnt you d]start ypiur pwn thread ?

Because my updates are no where near good enough to warrant their own thread. Generally I write little and have no screenshots because I'd rather play the game than spend too long telling everyone else about it. It's why I've been updating in this one instead. :p

Started another journeyman-career thread. Instead of starting unemployed I started as he worst playable team in my county Shropshire, thats AFC Telford. So far 2 seasons in, and no progress made

1st Season League- 2nd, lost in play-off semit-final

2nd Season League - 10th

All through the 2nd season i was in severe danger of being sacked, despite me knowing this I have rejected job offers from Portadown and Stenhousmuir, but will move should the right team appear.

Larne Technology Old Boys. 2063-64 N.Iron Premier

5 players in for £0

9 released.

5 players sold for £1.1 million and 50% on next transfer.

Europe: Out of the UCL in Quals 3rd against eventual winners Maccabi Haifa. Somehow sneaked into Europa League groups, finishing dead last of a tough group.

Cups: All Ireland cup: semis. Irish Cup lost against Linfield in the Final. 3 Mickey mouse cups won.

League: Linfield gave us a run for our money, but managed to retain the title.

Players watch: 18 yo jewel forward is not developing as he should. His sorry stamina means he stays more time in the infirmary than playing. Seriously pondering on accepting the next £3m + % of next sale.

We turn pro during the off-season \o/

Larne Technology Old Boys. 2064-65 N.Iron Premier

8 players in for £66k

20 released.

10 players sold for £2.5 million and 50% on next transfer.

Europe: Out of the UCL in Quals 2nd against ridiculously talented all greys Cluj.

Cups: All Ireland cup: semis. Domestic Cups won.

League: Linfield and Glenavon gave us a run for our money, but managed to retain the title.

Players watch: 19 yo jewel forward finally developed some stamina and it showed: 55 goals in 32(23) apps and a 7.51 AR.

1st July 2064

It is with great pleasure that I anounce that I'm moving back where it all started for my father. Wee Rovers' manager retired yesterday and the wise chairman saw it fit to ask the son of his legendary manager to take the reigns to try and bring back the glory days for Albion Rovers.

I've been reading the various threads about long term journeyman games all day it seems. I've not played much FM10 as I had a good game going over on FM09.

I started a game on FM10 last night with my beloved Watford, but after reading today I might try to emulate a long career game I had on FM09 where I started in Wales and went onto great things.

My computer is new and a bit of a beast so have picked quite a few leagues; I decided that I would like to start in Wales and eventually end up in England, journeying to various countries on the way.

The leagues I have chosen, bear in mind I am at work, so this list may shorten when I get home, and have checked the game speed indicator!, are as follows:

Wales

South Africa

Australia

Spain

Italy

Scotland

South Korea

China

Mexico

USA

Argentina

Brazil

England

Wales

South Africa

Australia

Spain

Italy

Scotland

South Korea

China

Mexico

USA

Argentina

Brazil

England

I've started the game but have dropped the 4 North/South American teams as it was pushing the game to a 2 star rating. As it stands the leagues plus all players from top clubs loaded sits at 4 stars. I am currently unemployed and will update further in the thread that is dedicated to small updates.

Tbh I would ignore the games star rating. I have a good PC and had a 4.5 (or was it 5) star rating at the beginning and after ten seasons I can still feel the difference in the game speeds over the years.

and I've not played FM10 since Dragon Age arrived, hence the complete lack of updates. I am getting the urge but after this length of break doubt I will re-join my old save. Only time will tell once I finish Dragon Age.

Tbh I would ignore the games star rating. I have a good PC and had a 4.5 (or was it 5) star rating at the beginning and after ten seasons I can still feel the difference in the game speeds over the years.

and I've not played FM10 since Dragon Age arrived, hence the complete lack of updates. I am getting the urge but after this length of break doubt I will re-join my old save. Only time will tell once I finish Dragon Age.

Looks like you're having a great career, Azeryk.

I decided to stay on in Brazil in my game, but I'm getting slaughtered in the Second Division. I've gone back to my dafuge save to complete the challenge, but when I do (hopefull sometime this week) I'll post regular update.

Is the jump that BIG to the Second Division? Check out my Career Thread, that began in Brazil. I'm really getting used to and beginning to enjoy the mutli-tier format involving the State Championships.

Is the jump that BIG to the Second Division? Check out my Career Thread, that began in Brazil. I'm really getting used to and beginning to enjoy the mutli-tier format involving the State Championships.

Well since that post I signed a ******** of players and started using my Boston tactic (ie launch it up, score, defend) and it's going better. Lurking around the promotion places after 25ish games. I still haven't quite figured the structure out, the State Championships at the beginning of the season for example, seemed to lead to nothing. Also confused as to why I wasn't in the Brazillian Cup?

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my current game:

Season 2009/2010 Veldwezelt, Belgian 3d division B

After a good start, top after 4 games, my form drops, my team drops to the bottom half of the table. Fortunately our form improves and with 2 games to go the promotion play-off is within reach. A 92th minute goal against our main competitor for that spot in the first of those 2 games sees us finish 5th, one place short of the play-off spot, 9 above our predicted finish.

In the cup we maneged to reach the 5th round after beating a 2nd division team in round 4

Season 2010/2011 Veldwezelt, Belgian 3d division B

We are predicted 14/18, just like last season. We were close to this spot for the entire season.

Relegation never was a threat because the bottom 3 were far behind the rest all season. We finished 14th, exactly as predicted.

In the cup we lost in the 3rd round to a lower league team on penalties.

Season 2011/2012 Veldwezelt, Belgian 3d division B

This season we wer predicted to finish 18/18. Despite this lack of confidence in us by the media, nearly the entire season in the top half of the table. Only after the second-to-last game did we drop out of the top half, finishing 10th.

We had a good cup-run this year, beating a 2nd division side in round 4 and a same division team in round 5. In round 6 we are drawn against the defending Belgian champions AA Gent at home. Despite being outplayed completely, we lose with only 1-2.

Season 2012/2013 Veldwezelt, Belgian 3d division B

Being expected 14th for the 3rd time in 4 seasons, our start is unremarkable. We lose in round 3 of the cup to lower league opposition and are slightly above our expected position when after 12 games...

Season 2012/2013 RKC Waalwijk Dutch Jupiler League

RKC knocked on my door after sacking their manager after 13 games, being 17/18, only goal difference keeping them from bottom, while being expected to finish 5th. Seeing this as a step up, I take the job.

Despite starting with a win, points only come slowly and at the winterbreak I got them just 2 places up.

After the winterbreak we start with 4 consecutive defeats, including a 1-4 and a 1-5. Changing tactics helps us in getting points again, but I couldn't avoid a 17th place finish, 6 points above bottom. Thankfully only the bottom team gets relegated.

RKC had already reached round 3 of the cup when i joined and we were defeated by top league opposition in this round.

Season 2013/2014 RKC Waalwijk Dutch Jupiler League

Predicted 15/18 this season, most of it is spent above this. Still the entire season we were in the bottom half of the table. Nothing interesting at all this season.

In the cup we reach the 3rd round again, finding defeat at top league opposition.

Season 2013/2014 RKC Waalwijk Dutch Jupiler League

I am still in pre-season here but it has become a challenge already.

Despite getting rid of all expensive players and a serious reduction of the number of staff positions in the club, we are now in administration. No points deducted in this competition, but with a team of only 13 first team level players and wages more over budget then the budget itself allowes makes me think this will be an interesting and hard season

I have a save going, where I started unemployed with a sunday league rep. I got a job at DPMM in Singapore and managed to keep them mid table for the rest of the season. Start of the second season my chairman decides we can only give small bonuses and this upsets the entire team and after a terrible run of form I resigned. After about a month living in a box somewhere I got hired by Columbian 2nd division side Itagui Diatiares. Got some good players but we'll see.

Things are going well in Columbia. We don't have much cash but there are plenty of quality guys available on the cheap. After playing decent for the first five or so games we went on a three match losing streak, just getting spanked. Then i went for an aggressive 41212 and it has really paid off. We have won our last six and qualified for the second phase group stage.

• 2 months later...

I'm considering doing a French career game, loading L1 through CFA and working my way up from the bottom. I do have a couple of questions:

1.) One thing that I've never seen a full & firm answer to is African player eligibility for French leagues. In some/many/few cases, African national do not count toward the "non-EU maximum" that the French leagues have. Is that former French colonies only? All African countries? Are there any other nations with a similar agreement? I would like to load some additional players from Africa that would be eligible under this rule.

2.) I've read that the CFA is not playable from the begining, but that some teams do become eligible to manage. How does this work?

3.) Are all Ligue 2 teams professional? How about Championat Nacional? I assume CFA is all amateur or reserve teams, right?

4.) Any other suggestions about setting up the player database / game as I'm planning? Other French hints or tips? Anyone else done a French career game?

Thanks!

1) I imagine that this is only players from former French colonies. If I were you, I would load players from the African continent using the 'load player' feature. You could load African players from top clubs in Africa, for instance, which would do the trick.

2) The CFA isn't playable. I presume it has something to do with the reserve teams who play at this level. The league is however viewable. Teams become playable when they are promoted to the National division (third tier).

3) As I understand it, CFA is amateur/semi-pro (a small handful of clubs are semi-pro). I think the third tier, a national division, is mostly semi-pro, but I understand that professional sides who are relegated are able to continue with their professional status for a period of two years after getting relegated. So there will be a mix of semi-pro and pro teams. Read about it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championnat_National

4) No real suggestions, just whatever you find interesting really. Use the load player feature to add some depth but don't go over the top as it'll slow your game down in the long run!

Have fun. :)

When looking through French clubs at all levels, I've been amazed at how many of their key players are African nationals. I think it would be a glaring omission to any French career game if a healthy number of Africans weren't available for scouting and acquisition. With the limited number of non-EU players allowed on French rosters, the African exception will be very useful. I almost always load all international players from all nations, to create a full world of international management options. (Note to all readers: Never take the job in Malta, even as a stepping stone.)

I usually start my career saves as unemployed with an Automatic reputation. My concern is that the game will give me a CFA-caliber automatic reputation, but without the ability to initially take a job at that level. Will test this before getting too deep into a game for sure! Or perhaps just turn off the CFA, who needs Reserve games anyway? Hmm. Amateur and semi-professional clubs are an interesting experience - managing in the Welsh Premier League right now - but anyone would be very eager to grow their reputation and move up into a more professional game.

Crouch: I was inspired by reading your journey up the Calcio ladder and though I'd give a one-nation career game a try. It seemed like a good tour of the entire Italian football landscape, from one end (the bottom) up to the other. I've always bought a lot of French talent, but never played (more than one season) in the league. If I'm feeling ambitious, or am successful enough not to embarass myself, I might add the game as a thread to the Career Forum.

• 6 months later...
I've always liked the thought of a proper journeyman game, starting at the bottom and working my way up. Hopefully will give one a go at somepoint on FM11.

I think that's where my FM11 save will be headed when I get around to it.

I fancy quite a big European journeyman save for a change probably taking in the likes of England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy, Spain and Sweden.

Need to test how well my laptop copes with the leagues though.

I think that's where my FM11 save will be headed when I get around to it.

I fancy quite a big European journeyman save for a change probably taking in the likes of England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy, Spain and Sweden.

Need to test how well my laptop copes with the leagues though.

When I get round to doing mine, I'll probably do something similar. Don't know why, but I just don't like managing out of Europe that much. As you said, a lot depends on how many leagues my laptop can handle

Archived