[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

I am doing a journeyman game on FM10 at the minute. I am with Preston after starting off unemployed and getting the Charlton job.

In FM09 a journeyman career was my most enjoyable game ever. I started off unemployed and then took over at Russian first division strugglers Zvezda Irkutsk. I spent a season rebuilding and bringing in Russian under 16 players that i could develop. It went better than expected and the following season i won promotion to the Russian Premier division. Despite the increase in sponsorship and the like, the board decided to give me no transfer budget and sold all my top youngsters so i resigned. After a few months with the Bolivian national team which was pretty successful, I opted for Liga Adelente side Deportivo who were mid-table with 10 games to go. I made an instant impact winning promotion via the play-offs.

I again opted for youth as secured a mid table spot in la liga. The following season the youngsters were developing well and we gained a UEFA cup place. The following 8 seasons saw total domination of the world winning 8 La Liga titles, 6 spanish cups, 6 Champions League and World Club championships. I also won the world cup and European Championships with Spain.

I was pretty bored of winning all the time so i decided to head back to Russia where it all started. This time with CSKA, they had lots of cash and it was very easy as i won the league at a canter. I resigned from CSKA and headed back to England with Aston Villa. In the space of a season i had turned them from relegation candidates into champions league challengers but i soon left when i was offered the chance to join Inter Milan with the promise of £150m transfer budget. I won the italian cup and finished 2nd in the league but the game ended when FM10 came out.

I plan on winning the league in all major countries on FM10

Good luck everyone

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see plenty of people coming over to the way of the journeyman.

For me, it's either playing with my favourite club or having a journeyman game. They are my two favourite ways to play and I intend to do both on FM10 and hopefully make them both long-term saves.

I finally got around to starting my journeyman save. As my computer doesn't appear to be rated very highly by the game, I have been very cautious with my league selection. In the end, I decided to focus my efforts on Italy, as I've often promised myself an Italian save.

I've started off as an unproven (Sunday League reputation) English manager who is unemployed (so I'm basically playing as myself). I've loaded all of Italy and the top two of Spain and England for my 'Calcio Journeyman' save. The idea is for me to serve my apprenticeship in the Italian lower leagues and see where I end up! I've also loaded all European international teams as playable so hopefully that will add some extra interest.

I'm really hoping that I can get into this Calcio Journeyman save. If I do, you can be sure that I will be posting details up on the careers forum at some point. :cool:

So, it's now time for this Englishman to serve his apprenticeship in calcio. I'll be drinking Chianti and smoking cigars this evening, if you need me. :D

Regards,

C.

P.S. "Dopo la letteratura e lleros, il calcio e uno dei grandi piaceri." - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

(After literature and sex, football is one of the great pleasures.)

I started with Alta a semi-pro team in Norwegian div 1. Took over when they were 5th with 10 games to go and won the league. All the time the chairman said he couldn't wait to leave. Now am 5 games into Prem and sitting 10ths out of 15 but Simon Jordan has just headed up a consortium that has bought the chairman out and apparently he has a strong history of buiness links with Norway!! I presume it is the same Simon Jordan that was at Palace!!

do like the idea of this so will end up doing one eventually, problem being what leagues to do, how many etc lol. thinking England, Spain, Italy plus 3 others from likes of ROI, Sweden, Holland, France, Portuglal maybe.....hmmm lol

Doing Gundo's challenge at the moment but once I get sacked in that save I will start a journeyman challenge. I will see how my computer runs with all leagues from Spain and the top divisions from each European country that has qualified for the 2010 World Cup.

Started a journeyman game with leagues loaded from Brazil, England, Spain, Germany, Italy and America. But i started off with professional footballer reputation which is not enough to get a job in any of the top european divisions, so instead i got the Gremio job in Brazils national first division. With 18 games left i took them to 3rd from 7th qualifying for the Copa Libertadores in the process. Currently doing well at start of my first full season with signings like Rivaldo(250k) and the amazing Adriano(2.5M) formerly of inter milan. Brazilian league is quite a strange place but alot of matches to keep interested in. I recommend it.

Alright I've loaded up these leagues and holidayed applying for all jobs and also dipping in and out declaring interest in jobs for a month now and still haven't got a job :thdn:

-Croatia (ALL)

-England (ALL)

-France (LIGUE 2)

-Italy (Serie C2)

-Scotland (2nd DIV)

-Spain (ADALENTE)

-Turkey (2nd DIV)

I've set my rep to Automatic. Also I'd quite fancy taking a job in Turkey's 2nd Division which has 4 groups because the structure looks very interesting:thup:

Is it usual to not find a job.

I've started a save as Wester Super Mare boss. We're predicted to finish 21st so the challenge is acute.

Currently 14th in October but through the 3rd round of the Conference League Cup.

I've only put the English leagues on though because I'm worried about game speed a few seasons down the line.

I've started a save as Wester Super Mare boss. We're predicted to finish 21st so the challenge is acute.

Currently 14th in October but through the 3rd round of the Conference League Cup.

I've only put the English leagues on though because I'm worried about game speed a few seasons down the line.

I'm running some tests on game speed in the future to see how much it generally slows down. In my first tests, I have found the game slows down by up to 25% over the course of a season when 30 years in. That's not actually too bad at all when spread over a season.

C.

Took me until around October or November to get a job in Italy's Serie C2 Hursty. Hang on in there.

Yeah I was offered a job at Stirling Albion in Scotland after there manager was sacked(even though they were 1st:confused:) I turned it down though:D

I really fancy a job in Turkey's lowest division the structure is :cool:

Just been offered a job at 16th place Canavese in Serie C2/A.

Is there no reserves league in Italy because there are only 3 players in the reserves and about 30 players in the first team.

Would you be able to shed some light on Italy for me Crouchaldinho?

I don't think it matters ozzymanborn. You can be a journeyman in just one country. Obviously it helps if you have a few countries loaded.

My 'Calcio Journeyman' save has just Italy, Spain and England loaded. But there are plenty of clubs for me to move around to and I will most likely spend most of my career in Italy as that is my interest in this save.

When you think about it, most journeyman managers will only manage in a handful of leagues. Take Roy Hodgson, who managed in six countries. Not many managers will go to more countries than him, I wouldn't have thought.

Between 2 and 6 countries is probably ideal actually. That should give lots of potential teams to manage and also should run well on most systems well into the future. If you have a great PC then you can load more but always err on the side of caution because if it is slow to begin with, it might become even slower to the point of it becoming unplayable in the future.

Being a journeyman is more about the philosophy of the save. The idea is to play as a real manager would, starting at the bottom, playing for yourself, moving to different clubs and managing in various places. Being a journeyman is about having the story of your career unfolding in front of you.

Regards,

C.

It's been a while since I've done a decent one of these where I've had any success - not since CM01/02 in fact!

That still remains my favourite save of all time, so good in fact that I was still playing it until FM05, totally skipping the whole CM4 period.

Started out as Leek Town in the Conference until I'd done well enough to catch the eye of Blackpool in Division 3. Stayed on there for a few years, getting promoted to Division 2 before Division 1's Northampton came calling after they had already clinched relegation, so I knew I would be in the same division the following year, but selfishly thought that this wouldn't matter too much because I had a much better chance of promotion. And get promoted I did, when high-flying Preston, safe in Division 1, came calling.

After making (and losing in) the play-offs for a few years, the Liverpool job came available. Without much hope of success I applied, and was promptly offered the job. They were in some trouble, in 14th place and looked to be heading down. I steadied the ship the first few years, with top 10 finishes turning into top 5, before embarking on an amazing 11 year run as champions, at the same time winning 8 league cups, 6 FA Cups and, most satisfyingly of all, 9 Champions leagues.

Sometime during my run, I applied for the job of my native Australia and also managed to take them to World Cup glory.

Absolutely brilliant save, and one that I have tried countless times since to replicate with absolutely no success. Best way to play the game though, in my humble opinion.

OK I'll kick mine off with my first career game (and first real game) on FM2010

Should be a fun challenge...

Activated & Loaded up all former Yugoslavain nations leagues.

Started unemployed and the aim of this save is to hopefully be offered

the illustrious job of managing Red Star Belgrade in the Serbian SuperLeague.

My Career will come to an end when I have gained a worldwide reputation &

have won the UEFA Champions League with Red Star.

I never managed to do it on either FM08 or FM09 so hopefully

by the time I get the job offered to me, I'll be ready to go for success.

An added extra was that I can only manage Internationals if I'm unemployed

& the nation is none of which have a league loaded.

Game Date: 27/12/2009

Club: FK Sutjeska Foca

Competition: BiH Second League (First League of Republika Srpska)

Nation: Bosnia & Herzegovina

Leagues Loaded:

• *Bosnia & Herzegovina (First League & Above)
  • Croatia (Second League & Above)
  • *Macedonia (Second League & Above)
  • *Montenegro (Second League & Above)
  • Serbia (First League & Above)
  • Slovenia (Second League & Above)
    (* - edited data)

Board Expecation: Respectable League Finish

Your Expectation: Mid-Table

Additional Info:

Just been offered the job, currently sitting in 12th (Out of 15).

17 pts from 15 games. 12pts out of relegation and 16 points behind leaders.

I started a new save with ac wimbledon. My aim was to take them as far as i can. 3 months in and I was 3rd in the blue square premier league. Couldnt really sign any good players so I decided to join vasco of brazil when they approached me. I went there and they were 7th in the brazil second division. I had only about 9 games left of the season and won all the games and took them to 1st place and got promoted.

After this I got approached by athletico madrid in december!! They are 19th in the spanish league and I accepted their offer. So now Im managing atheltico. And its still only january in my first season. Aim is to manage manutd or barcelona in 3-4 years

Started my journeyman save and am enjoying it immensely so far. Loaded leagues from Brazil (ND1), England (L2), Italy (Serie B), Spain (BBVA), Germany (Bundesliga) and Scotland (Premier). Set my rep to Professional as i didnt run many lower leagues and realised that for most top european leagues that national rep is not enough to land a decent job. Eventually by November i was offered the Gremio job in the Brazilian 1st division in 7th place with 18 games to go, so not in too bad a shape. Finished off the season in 3rd place qualifying for Copa Libertadores in the process, so next season will be the real challenge especially considering the league structures in Brazil were there is a match almost every 3 days. I would recommend journeyman career in Brazil.

SEASON UPDATE

My first full season in charge of Gremio in Brazilian first division starts very well. In Brazil there is 2 championships throughout the season and for Gremio i was in the regional state championship called the Gaucho State Championship which has a closing and opening stage which runs from january to march. I managed to finish top of the opening and closing stages. The top four teams from the 2 groups go to quarter finals in both stages and i managed to reach the finals in both stages eventually winning the closing stage final and the Gaucho state championship overall. The system is a bit complicated but very interesting. I am now in july doing reasonably well in the second more important championship "National First Division". Also i managed to win the Copa Libertadores beating Boca in the final 4 -0 agg. Adriano has been key to this success scoring so far 26 goals in 30 games.

Will update again at end of season when hopefully i can win the national championship.

Currently in my 2nd season with Aberystwyth in Wales with ALL the leagues in Europe loaded (Started unemployed with automatic rep). First season I finished 4th and won the cup. This season I'm 1st in January 12 points ahead of nr2 on W:14 D:6 L:0. Hopefully we can keep this up...

One question. If my reputation in Wales is national, how can I know what my reputation (and likeliness to get a job) is in another country?

Currently in my 2nd season with Aberystwyth in Wales with ALL the leagues in Europe loaded (Started unemployed with automatic rep). First season I finished 4th and won the cup. This season I'm 1st in January 12 points ahead of nr2 on W:14 D:6 L:0. Hopefully we can keep this up...

One question. If my reputation in Wales is national, how can I know what my reputation (and likeliness to get a job) is in another country?

Unless you win something, I would say quite low tbh. The Welsh Prem is one of the lowest standards in European football.

Unless you win something, I would say quite low tbh. The Welsh Prem is one of the lowest standards in European football.

Equivalent to Conference National in the game.

So you are looking at non-League and possibly basement division of English football, that is if you win the title or have success in Wales. Otherwise, you're looking at non-League jobs.

A good idea is to compare the league reputations in the game. That way, you can make a comparison regarding your current manager reputation compared to other leagues.

Regards,

C.

I am also doing a Roy Hodgson style career. I started in the lowest league in China with Sunday League experience. I am just about to start my fifth season with my club but I am planning on moving to Iceland next and build my reputation from there.

The goals I have set my self are.

1. Cannot move from a club until I have maxed out the experence in that nation (Anout 1450 days)

2. Win on domestic titile in each active nation.

3. Win a contental title on all contents (Either club or interanational)

Active nations England, Holland, Iceland, Mexico and China.

Really enjoyable game, reccommend palying a Journeyman Career for those who haven't tried on before.

Equivalent to Conference National in the game.

So you are looking at non-League and possibly basement division of English football, that is if you win the title or have success in Wales. Otherwise, you're looking at non-League jobs.

A good idea is to compare the league reputations in the game. That way, you can make a comparison regarding your current manager reputation compared to other leagues.

Regards,

C.

Thanks! I've almost finished my 2nd season in Wales. Been having a bit of a slump towards the end of the season, but I hope I can still manage to win the league. It'll give me the Welsh cup in the previous season and now the league. I guess I'll just resign and see who else will have me. Probably a lowly league in a bigger country so I can shoot for some promotions.

Where can I see the league rep?

I haven't had a true 'career' style save since FM06, when I started at Genclerbirligi in Turkey before taking Fulham to within 60 seconds of the Premier League title (played 1st placed Arsenal on the last day needing a win to go top and was leading 1-0 until an injury time equaliser - the pain of that moment is permanently burned into my brain!). I then took over at Liverpool, predicting the future by signing Torres and enjoying some success before getting sacked for failing to win a thrid consecutive title.

I had a change of direction after that as I headed to Spain to try and rescue Betis after they had been relegated from the top flight (again mirroring the future!). My final club stop was Torino where I did the same, taking them back up from Serie B. I wrapped it all up with a World Cup win for England and felt that was a good place to call it quits.

I haven't attempted the 'Journeyman' start at the bottom career before though so I'm hoping my attempt on FM10 will be successful. :) I have a lot of leagues loaded but, as Crouchaldinho suggested, many of the nations I've loaded have just one or two divisions active with only one or even no cups, which should help game speed. Speaking of which, I'm not sure to what extent the 'star rating' is accurate. My set-up got 1 star for game speed so I tested by holidaying for 10 seasons and it didn't take that long (not sure exactly how long as I wasn't near my computer while it ran) and processing times for fixtures after the holiday period was over didn't seem to take too long either.

I'm not sure to what extent the 'star rating' is accurate. My set-up got 1 star for game speed so I tested by holidaying for 10 seasons and it didn't take that long (not sure exactly how long as I wasn't near my computer while it ran) and processing times for fixtures after the holiday period was over didn't seem to take too long either.

I don't pay too much attention to this. I have about 100 leagues active, and I also got a 1 star rating. Still it seems fast enough for me. I guess it depends on your personal preference. People have different perceptions of speed ;)

I don't pay too much attention to this. I have about 100 leagues active, and I also got a 1 star rating. Still it seems fast enough for me. I guess it depends on your personal preference. People have different perceptions of speed ;)

Agreed. I usually browse the forums when the fixture processing seems slow so I maybe don't notice so much. :p

Came second with Forfar and won the play-offs, so promotion to The Scottish Second Division :)

Congrats Feedolover :) you're moving up!

Not exactly sure if I made a good career move. I just finished my 2nd season in Wales with Aberystwyth and won the league and the Loosemores Cup. This means that I've won all the competitions available in Wales (Welsh Cup in first season). Unfortunately the only offers I got from other teams were of a 2nd division Bulgarian team and AGOVV in the Dutch 2nd division. I didn't want to go to Holland right away in the bottom of the leagues (my nationality is Dutch) and I didn't want to stay in Wales another season, so I went for the beautiful mountain village of Bansko in Bulgaria.

Unfortunately the finances were worse than they had made it seem, so I will have to see how things work out.

What is the best way of setting this sort of game up, lots of leagues from a few countries or top league or two from many countries?

I will be starting unemployed

Personally, I would load all the English leagues and then the top couple from a load of other countries. This way I can aim to build my reputation in England before moving abroad later on in my career once I've established myself as a decent manager.

Archived