dafuge's FM10 challenge

Just signed Malcolm Christie:cool: Got a good feeling about the mighty Toots.

Likewise! A bargain at 275 a week! Assuming he doesn't break something though. I've got him up front with Marvin Williams with a regen striker and Pavol Suhaj as back up so hopefully scoring won't be a problem.

I've got Kris Taylor, Gary Holt and Philip Appiah in midfield as well so I'm feeling pretty good. That said I'm sure this season is going to be tough.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strikers/Att Mids? Any Ideas Chaps?

I've found Celtic and Rangers tend to release a few quality youngsters who are happy to sign for you (provided they don't get an offer from someone else - lost a couple of quality ones, they came on trial to me but then signed for Football league clubs :() - I got Strikers Fitzharris and Keatings from Celtic, plus a midfield and a defender from both Celtic and Rangers, yet I cannot even sign Oldham, Crewe, Stockport or Rochdale rejects :(

I've found Celtic and Rangers tend to release a few quality youngsters who are happy to sign for you (provided they don't get an offer from someone else - lost a couple of quality ones, they came on trial to me but then signed for Football league clubs :() - I got Strikers Fitzharris and Keatings from Celtic, plus a midfield and a defender from both Celtic and Rangers, yet I cannot even sign Oldham, Crewe, Stockport or Rochdale rejects :(

I bet half our squad is the same :D

This is probably due to the 'players from top clubs' retaining.

I've had a decent first day of the challenge with King's Lynn. Just got to the new year and we're sitting 8th in the league, not many points off the playoff places. Our form is a bit inconsistent but it has been steadily improving with 4-1 and 5-1 wins recently. The main boosts to the squad have been freebies released from the Scottish sides. Particularly a regen striker called Craig Rodger who has 12 goals so far this season. He's only got 5 for finishing, but 17 for acceleration, 16 for pace, agility and flair, 12 for heading and a few other stats around 9 and 10 make him a very dangerous player at this level. My only problem is that i'm struggling for a good keeper and centre-backs. We're pretty solid, but I think we're dropping points due to a lack of quality at the back.

Hopefully i'll be able to finish my first season tomorrow.

Cambridge City 10/11 BSN

Stayed near the top of the table all season, had some bad luck in the Cups but it ended up helping me have rested players when other teams started to pick up the injuries, took ages to get back into first because Southport would not stop winning games.

The finances are a complete mess, we could not get anyone to come to the games, all I can do is hope for a take over I guess.

Table

Graph

Transfers

Finances

----

Looking forward to picking up some defenders in route to a good season in the BSP.

I bet half our squad is the same :D

This is probably due to the 'players from top clubs' retaining.

I managed to get Gallacher (DR), Millar (AMC) from Celtic as well as the two previously mentioned strikers and Hunter (DRC - who at 17 is averging 7.37 in 7 games at DC so far) and Miller (MC) from Rangers, so my dressing room should be a fun place to be :D

I forgot when suggesting retaining more players, the other teams will have 60 odd players generated into their first teams.

As long as they keep on generating players it should make things more interesting - in FM09 it got a little too easy to spot promising players because the game would only generate a couple of players per team each year if that.

I'm disappointed NIreland doesn't have a single player in my game :(

this is almost imposible! not meaning to moan and stuff but....how does anyone find good enough players that will come to the club....its just impossible!

I can't quit though or i will have failed!

just get your scout to scout players in England/UK & Ireland, alternatively in the player search you can put on 'rule out unrealistic targets'.

this is almost imposible! not meaning to moan and stuff but....how does anyone find good enough players that will come to the club....its just impossible!

By getting RSI from trialing and scouting hundreds of players :(

The first thing I do is sign an ass. manager with the highest Judging CA I can (Jimmy Hunter with JCA15, JPA12 is the best I could this time around), you can then filter out the players who aren't interested.

I then use player search to search for released players who are interested in the weakest position I have, I then attempt to scout and trial as many as I can, signing up the ones I can who are good enough.

After the first of july I scan through the released players from various clubs - teams local to you will be the best option, also Rangers and Celtic are good hunting grounds in this version.

It's daunting and time consuming at first but eventually you'll start to build up a good team, it's then just a case of not going crazy and bankrupting yourself.

Has anyone had any luck loaning Premiership youngsters this year? League Two Port Vale and my parent team Stoke (who are now in the Championship) are the one who's players are willing to play for me :(

I have found players just through my scouts and ass manager. I have set my scoutr to look through UK and Ireland and have found some BSP to leading BSN players. My Assistant has got some good players in the team report screen.

They seem to be doing ok so far.

Last year I looked through every League team in England for the players they released at the end of their contract. You can build up a very very good team from that.

• SI Staff

The first thing I do is sign an ass. manager with the highest Judging CA I can (Jimmy Hunter with JCA15, JPA12 is the best I could this time around), you can then filter out the players who aren't interested.

I can't even do that... my assistant is a player/assistant. And he happens to be one of my best players despite being 36!

In addition to techniques already mentioned... It's also pretty useful for poor sides to search for players with a value of £0. This will cover all players out of contract and players still at clubs who are available for free. It's also worth bidding nothing on low valued players, teams often sell them just to save their wage budget.

I'm sure all us regular Dafuge's challengers have so many systems for rooting out obscure players that we don't even realise!

Archived