The Côte d'Ivoire journey to World Cup glory thread

pouncer

Ivory-Coast_flag.gif

Cote_dIvoire_FA.png

Côte d'Ivoire

Le Voyage a la gloire. Allez les éléphants!

Nickname: Les Éléphants (The Elephants)

Association: Fédération Ivoirienne de Football

Confederation: CAF (Africa)

Manager: Sven-Göran Eriksson (Sweden)

Captain: Didier Drogba

Most Caps: Didier Zokora, 78 caps

Top Scorer: Didier Drogba, 43 goals

World Ranking: 25

Highest Ranking: 16 (November 2009)

~~~~

The Road to the Final

'Les Éléphants' have been drawn in Group G - regarded as one of the toughest groups of all. They join five-times winners Brazil and a quality Portugal team boasting one of the world's best players in Cristiano Ronaldo. Not only that, but they also face a potentially tricky tie against minnows North Korea who (unless Kim says otherwise) have little pressure on them.

69969277.jpg

So where next? Well, it depends if where the Ivory Coast finish in the group. It'll be tough to qualify, and if they do I think they'll scrape through in second place behind either Brazil or Portugal. As runners-up, the Ivory Coast will be liable to play against the winners of Group H - one of Spain, Honduras, Chile or Switzerland. Finishing second makes it likely that Ivory Coast will meet the Group H favourites Spain - a difficult game of course. The group winner will play the runner-up in Group H.

For more information, click here.

------

Ones to watch:

Kolo Toure: The ex-Arsenal defender has a lot to prove after an unremarkable season at Manchester City. The 29 year-old's experience will certainly prove vital to a young which in the Cup of Nations possessed just two players over 30.

Emmanuel Eboue:

That's right. Honourable mentions to our very own Slightly Damp Shrew for this one, fantastic. Thank you PaulHartman as well. He was of course present at the African Nations Cup too, many thanks Suggy. Those videos put into words everything that I could possibly type here.

Didier Zokora: The man has over 80 caps for his country and is their most capped player - despite a spell at Tottenham. He became a firm favourite at White Hart Lane after joining following a strong 2006 World Cup. In 2009, Zokora joined La Liga side Sevilla for £8m and has been solid in his first season in Spain.

Yaya Toure: Arguably the best player in the squad alongside Dider Drogba, Yaya Toure has gone from strength to strength after having joined Barcelona from AS Monaco in 2007. Toure, at just 26, has been a key member of one of Barcelona's strongest teams in their history.

Didier Drogba: What can you say? He's quite good. The controversial captain will no doubt be key in the Ivorians' bid for glory - with a wonderful 43 goals in 66 appearances for the Ivory Coast making him their most successful player ever. Thanks Wikipedia.

Honorable mentions go to the following:

- Solomon Kalou, Chelsea's 24 year-old winger.

- Arthur Boka, Stuttgart's 27 year-old left full back.

- Gervinho, at 22 the forward is one of Lille's latest hot prospects.

=====

The Final 23:

[font=Times New Roman]1. [b]BARRY BOUBACAR[/b] (KSC LOKEREN OV - BELGIQUE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2. [b]YEBOAH DANIEL TECHI [/b](ASEC MIMOSAS – CÔTE D’IVOIRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3. [b]ZOGBO ARISTIDE BENOIT[/b] (MACCABI NETANYA FC - ISRAËL)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]4. [b]BAMBA SOULEMAN[/b] (HIBERNIAN FC - ECOSSE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5. [b]BOKA ETIENNE ARTHUR[/b] (VfB STUTTGART - ALLEMAGNE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6. [b]EBOUE EMMANUEL[/b] (ARSENAL FC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]7. [b]TIENE SIAKA[/b] (VALENCIENNES FC - FRANCE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]8. [b]TOURE KOLO ABIB[/b] (MANCHESTER CITY FC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]9. [b]DEMEL GUY-ROLAND[/b] (HAMBOURG SV - ALLEMAGNE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10. [b]GOHOURI STEVE [/b](WIGAN ATHLETIC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]11. [b]ANGOUA BROU BENJAMIN[/b] (VALENCIENNES FC - FRANCE)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]12. [b]ZOKORA DIDIER [/b](FC SEVILLE - ESPAGNE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]13. [b]N’DRI KOFFI ROMARIC [/b](FC SEVILLE - ESPAGNE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]14. [b]TIOTE CHEIK ISMAËL[/b] (FC TWENTE – PAYS-BAS)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15. [b]TOURE YAYA GNEGNERI[/b] (FC BARCELONE - ESPAGNE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]16. [b]GOSSO GOSSO JEAN-JACQUES[/b] (AS MONACO – FRANCE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]17. [b]KONE KOUAMATIEN EMMANUEL[/b] (FC CURTEA ARGES - ROUMANIE)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]18. [b]ARUNA DINDANE[/b] (PORTSMOUTH FC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]19. [b]KEITA ABDUL KADER[/b] (GALATASARAY SK - TURQUIE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20. [b]DOUMBIA SEYDOU [/b](YOUNG BOYS - SUISSE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]21. [b]DROGBA DIDIER[/b] (CHELSEA FC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]22. [b]KALOU SALOMON[/b] (CHELSEA FC - ANGLETERRE)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]23. [b]YAO KOUASSI GERVAIS[/b] (LOSC LILLE METROPOLE - FRANCE)[/font]

=====

Pheeeew. There we go then. Did that off the cusp but now I feel ready to support the Ivory Coast!

They'll bring a fantastic support and a viabrant atmosphere to the stadia this summer I'm sure - and on the pitch will be one of the best teams to watch with an interesting combination of players: ranging from ASEC Misomas' Vincent Angban to Chelsea's Didier Drogba.

"Allez les Éléphants"

2048464990a0ab1bdf96.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are good enough to qualify for the Round of 16 at the expense of Brazil or Portugal, but I think it's more likely they end up eliminated in the group stage. Either way, it's going to be interesting seeing what they can do.

Yeah, agree with you both. It's a tough group. If they finish as runners-up it's very likely they'll have to play Spain and winning the group won't be easy either with Portugal and Brazil in there. Going to be tough, but mon mon mon :cool: Will be supporting them as much as England.

Pouncer your OP's are immense, wp :thup:

Ivory Coast for me will be a shock team, expecting them to qualify from the group and then maybe get through one more round, got some cracking players.

Certainly a dark horse for me, will be my 3rd team

Great OP :thup:

Can see the same scenario happening as 4 years ago : Drawn in a tough group, high expectations, good team, but failing to qualify for the knock out stages.

Would be nice if they could eliminate Brazil or Portugal (or even better, both).

People overstate their chances, anybody who saw how shockingly average they were at the African Cup of Nations would be worried. They could qualify, but if Portugal and Brazil are at even 75% of what they can be the I really doubt Côte d'Ivoire's potential to progress from the group.

That said, they have the single greatest human being to ever have existed. Emanuel Eboué. Eboué for golden boot and golden gloves to be honest. He'll score the most and keep the most clean sheets.

Oh, and official request to change it to "Côte d'Ivoire's journey to World Cup glory", as that's what the country is called, plus that way you can be like me and laud it over people who call it The Ivory Coast.

OK, if you wish. I understand that's their official name, yet, after much deliberation, I decided to go with Wiki and stick with the official name in English (seen as this is an English-speaking board primarily). Plus most of the English speaking media will probably use 'Ivory Coast'. Although 'Côte d'Ivoire' would have that certain ring to it so if any mod sees this a name change would be appreciated :D

Thank you for the post compliments too :)

People overstate their chances, anybody who saw how shockingly average they were at the African Cup of Nations would be worried. They could qualify, but if Portugal and Brazil are at even 75% of what they can be the I really doubt Côte d'Ivoire's potential to progress from the group.

I agree with you about Brazil but not so much with Portugal. At times Portugal were awful in qualifying, I think they had an early run of three 0-0 draws in a row. I think it will be close between Portugal and Ivory Coast as to who the "other" team to qualify is, I think Ivory Coast will take it though.

I agree with you about Brazil but not so much with Portugal. At times Portugal were awful in qualifying, I think they had an early run of three 0-0 draws in a row. I think it will be close between Portugal and Ivory Coast as to who the "other" team to qualify is, I think Ivory Coast will take it though.

Portugal turned it around a bit though since then? They ended the qualification in fairly decent form.

• 3 weeks later...

Brazil had 0-0 home draws against Bolivia, Colombia and Venezuela (that one was the last game of the Quals), besides a 0-0 home draw against Argentina.

I agree though that Brazil a bit better than the Ivorians and Portuguese. But I hope all games are close.

33-player list for the World Cup:

Goleiros: Copa Barry (Lokeren/Belgica), Aristide Zogbo (Maccabi Netanya/Israel), Gnanhouan Gérard (Vannes/França) e Vincent de Paul Angban (ASEC Abidjan).

Defensores: Arthur Boka (Stuttgart/Alemanha), Steve Gohouri (Wigan Athletic/Inglaterra), Guy Demel (Hambourg SV/Alemanha), Eboué Emmanuel (Arsenal/Inglaterra), Kolo Touré (Manchester City/Inglaterra), Souleymane Bamba (Hibernian/Escócia), Abdoulaye Meité (West Bromwich Albion/Inglaterra), Benjamin Brou Angoua (Valenciennes/França), Igor Lolo (Mônaco/França), Marc Zoro (Valenciennes/França) e Siaka Tiéné (Valenciennes/França).

Meias: Didier Zokora (Séville/Espanha), Yaya Touré (Barcelone/Espanha), Gilles Yapi Yapo (Young Boys Berne/Suiça), Didier Ya Konan (Hanovre 96/Alemanha), Romaric N’dri Koffi (Séville/Espanha), Emerse Faé (Nice/França), Cheick Tioté (Twente/Holanda), Kouamatien Koné (Cluj/Romênia).

Atacantes: Didier Drogba (Chelsea/Inglaterra), Salomon Kalou (Chelsea/Inglaterra), Aruna Dindane (Portsmouth/Inglaterra), Gervinho (Lille/França), Arouna Koné (Hanovre 96/Alemanha), Baky Koné (Olympique de Marseille/França), Kader Keita (Galatasaray/Turquia), Seydou Doumbia (Young Boys Berne), Sékou Cissé (Feyenoord Rotterdam/Holanda).

At least they've got 1 African based player :)

4th choice keeper, didn't get a plushy contract yet :D Oh and he's 171cm only :cool:

And it's not like Brazil where the top clubs are flush with money, Eboue has to have his fancy hat collection

• SI Staff

I wonder how many times Sven watched Aristides Zogbo of Maccabi Netanya in action, or how often he popped up to Easter Road to watch Hibs' Souleymane Bamba? Or did he simply spend the last four weeks watching Chelsea games on a nice little freebie to look at the players he does know?

Eboué is far more relevant to this thread than you'll ever be.

Anyway, I've come up with a possible starting XI providing Sven plays a nice simply 4-4-2:

Copa BARRY

Emmanuel EBOUÉ

Kolo TOURE

Igor LOLO

Arthur BOKA

Gilles YAPI YAPO <3

Yaya TOURE

Didier ZOKORA

Solomon KALOU

Didier DROGBA

Aruna KONE

:)

OK so that's not a 4-4-2 but there we go!

I wonder how many times Sven watched Aristides Zogbo of Maccabi Netanya in action, or how often he popped up to Easter Road to watch Hibs' Souleymane Bamba? Or did he simply spend the last four weeks watching Chelsea games on a nice little freebie to look at the players he does know?

He was at Portsmouth to watch Dindane :cool:

• Administrators
Eboué is far more relevant to this thread than you'll ever be.

Anyway, I've come up with a possible starting XI providing Sven plays a nice simply 4-4-2:

Copa BARRY

Emmanuel EBOUÉ

Kolo TOURE

Igor LOLO

Arthur BOKA

Gilles YAPI YAPO <3

Yaya TOURE

Didier ZOKORA

Solomon KALOU

Didier DROGBA

Aruna KONE

:)

OK so that's not a 4-4-2 but there we go!

Lolo and Yapi-Yapo won't play. I don't think you'll see major changes from their ACoN line-up of

Barry, Eboué, Bamba, Touré, Tiéné, Zokora, Demel, Yaya, Kalou, Gervinho, Drogba

Remember they have to get a result against either Portugal or Brazil to have a chance of progressing so packing the midfield with 3 defensive players and looking for width from Eboué and Tiéné (two midfielders at full-back) with the front three on the break. That core of five in the middle (CBs + DMs) will be hard to break down as they're all huge and disciplined.

Sven's a pragmatic manager, not one prone to going the unpredictable route. Can't see Lolo playing at all and Yapi-Yapo has barely featured for his country of late, it would be very odd to have him back in. As for Koné, he's scoreless this season in nine league games and hasn't scored for his country in two and a half years. Can't even see him making the cut, every other forward named is better.

I was dreaming more than anything when putting Lolo and Yapi Yapo in really. How is Gervinho getting on this season? Last I heard he was playing well in France and scored against Ghana in the CoN.

Bamba was suspended for the last 3 games for us until the last game of the season when we played Utd. Bamba said he was coming but he didn't. Played well though. x

Just reading that at current in the training camp Sven has 4 keepers and 9 defenders to work with. The rest only arrive next Monday.

Not quite sure how that works tbqh

Archived