The Official USA Thread

spartans5

So, after a less than stellar first couple games in the Confederations Cup, followed by the luckiest win and qualification into the semi-final, and arguably the greatest victory in men's US soccer history, and the disappointment of losing to Brazil in the final, despite being up 2-0 at half, what do we think will happen in the World Cup.

Honestly, I believe that we should qualify from the group stages. A tough match against England, but I feel as long as we keep it close, our morale should be good going into the other two matches, unlike like 2006 where we got clobbered by Czech Republic and the refs screwed us over against Italy, which led to a poor performance against Ghana. So, I am thinking second in the group and maybe a lucky win in the Round of 16 to get us to the quarters. Anything more than that and I would be ecstatic.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA should qualify from that group with ease. This is one of the last tournaments the USA can play the underdog role IMO. I predict I'll see them lift the WC in my lifetime (and I'm an old man :D).

Howard > *.

TRUTH.

Should be a good WC, I think. Depending on injuries and such, we have a shot against England, not to mention the whole underdog thing. I'll be very happy with qualification from the group, and then depending on draws from there, we'll see.

USA! USA!

I can definitely see him playing as he was in the squad for the Netherlands friendly, although how much he features is up for a debate as the midfield is fairly crowded for the US, although it is crowded with a lot of players of similar ability yet different qualities.

C'mon Davies and Onyewu being healthy and ready to go.

Down with the English. 1950 all over again bitches.

Actually the Slovenia and Algeria games might wind up being more important. It'd be nice if they drew their match together. I wish I knew more about those two teams going into this, I don't remember ever seeing either play before.

USA should qualify from that group with ease. This is one of the last tournaments the USA can play the underdog role IMO. I predict I'll see them lift the WC in my lifetime (and I'm an old man :D).

You'd hate that, wouldn't you? ;)

Should get out of the group, if only because we tend to do better in World Cups held outside Europe. But we also have an annoying tendency to play to the level of our opponent, so I could easily see a heroic win over Eng-er-land, followed by miserable defeats to Slovenia and Algeria.

What's the chance of Mo Edu getting called up? He has recently got back into the Rangers team after his injuries and put in some good performances. Would like to see him go.

Good chance, his main competition for the second starting central midfield spot is Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt); there's also some competition from Jose Torres (Pachuca) and Sacha Kljestan (Chivas) but I ultimately see a Bradley - Edu partnership

Unfortunately the way Bob will have his kid and Edu play will probably be double deep holding midfielders :\

I'm not particularly positive about the US's chances as while some players have clearly been in form over the last couple months, other key players have been injured.

Take away the extended injuries to Davies and Onyewu and we are a much more dangerous team

What's the usual starting eleven?

There's no 'usual' starting eleven but there are several individuals guaranteed or almost guaranteed to start if they are fit:

Tim Howard, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Jozy Altidore

Charlie Davies was getting close to that status before he got in that accident last year

C'mon Davies and Onyewu being healthy and ready to go.

We should be dangerous anyway, but both of them returning would be amazing. It would also be a miracle story about Davies. Davies looked so good with Jozy.

I'd rather not play you in our first game tbh, you'll have plenty of time to prepare, always approach these things very professionally and motivated and are a good physical side. In some respects it's better to play you than one of these nippy, runny-around type teams ;) in that we knew what we're up against but opening games are always tight, hence preferring to play a weaker seed so would not be surprised to see a draw at all.

If we're on our game we should nick it. Aside from us I hope you get out the group but I hope we win the group as that's the easier pathway

• 3 weeks later...
If Charlie Davies isn't going to be fit (and let's face it, it is a long shot), Edson Buddle should make the squad. He might actually be the best USA striker atm. He actually should start with Jozy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/recap;_ylt=Atjxn0M.givXa29FQpUM8pImw7YF?gid=2010050825

Davies has been training with his club, I believe. I don't know too much about Buddle, does he have the speed that Davies does?

USA's preliminary 30 man World Cup squad:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan, Tim Howard and Marcus Hahnemann;

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein, Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Chad Marshall, Oguchi Onyewu, Heath Pearce and Jonathan Spector;

MIDFIELDERS (12): DaMarcus Beasley, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Stuart Holden, Sasha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers and Jose Torres;

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching, Robbie Findley, Hercules Gomez and Eddie Johnson;

No Charlie Davies is a shame, hopefully he's ready to go for next season. I'm a little surprised that Conor Casey wasn't one of the six strikers chosen. I'm not a fan but he did play well in an important qualifier in Honduras.

so many holes...

forced to play boca on the left, which means you either pair a rusty gooch with barely adequate demerit or someone progressively worse.

bradley's partner in the middle still isn't set. I'm guessing it'll be edu, but who knows? both dempsey and donovan should be playing off altidore, which means one will be shunted off on the right and rob us of width. he could play anyone on the left wing, even pearce, and it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

don't get me wrong. there's talent in that squad. I just don't really see an XI yet.

re: Bedoya

I don't know much about him at all. He plays in the Swedish league which I've never watched and has two friendly appearances for the national team. I think he's a winger but even that limited info could be wrong.

Is Howard first choice? I think I'd take an older Freidal for experience if nothing else, has he retired or something?

Yeah, the depth chart will probably be:

1. Howard

2. Guzan

3. Hahnemann

Friedel and Keller have both retired from international play.

Ick. Clark's a guaranteed red card in international play.

Have it be Edu then. Was just trying to think of who actually has played/can play/would be decent enough at a defensive midfield role.

Kljestan has played that role, iirc, but I really don't trust him at this level.

Archived