The Official USA Thread

spartans5

The substitutions were fine (apart from Holden for Altidore, which would have made sense if he had switched to a 4-5-1 to hold the lead); it was the starting lineup that didn't make sense.

like I said, it's Bradley, he doesn't do anything unpredictable. Doesn't really matter whether it "makes sense", but it's predictable.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope US and A (Borat :cool:) make it through the qualification stage, although Algeria and Slovenia could both pull one it off as well. After the Confederations Cup though, there's no saying the US and A won't finish first!

Why would Bradley put out a perfect lineup to play 4-3-3 and then cram them into a flat 4-4-2 with two players out of position? It's ridiculous how much better the team looks with both Donovan and Dempsey out wide than with one of them up top.

probably because nine times out of ten when donovan and dempsey both play out wide, donovan goes missing for about 70-90% of the match and dempsey gets isolated

now if they played a 4-3-3 it might be a bit different depending on what players take initiative

part of it is down to having a creative player who can read the game and make the pass rather than our usual 'receive the balla nd make an immediate back pass' players

You're off!

Leaving a hot and humid American training camp for cool temperatures and high altitudes, the United States team departed Sunday for South Africa and a much-anticipated 2010 FIFA World Cup™ opener with England.A day after defeating Turkey 2-1 in their send-off match, the youngest American World Cup squad since 1994 with an average age just under 27 flew out from the US capital, 15 players bound for their inaugural World Cup.

"We're young, we're energetic, we're excited and we're going to surprise people in the World Cup," veteran US midfielder DaMarcus Beasley said.

US coach Bob Bradley stressed fitness in a physically demanding training camp and intense tuneups, a 4-2 loss to the Czech Republic and a rally-required win over Turkey, have hardened the Americans ahead of the demands to come.

"When you consider everything that's gone on the last few weeks, it puts us in a good position and now we're ready to move on to South Africa," Bradley said. "We planned it out in very careful fashion. Team building, that went well. We have seen a couple things when we haven't played well get sharper. You just push things along. We will be able to sharpen up some little details. We came out with everything we could have wanted."

One step at a time

The Americans include a record 19 players from clubs outside the United States, seven from English clubs including top goalkeeper Tim Howard of Everton, and only six men who have played a World Cup match before. "To win the World Cup we would be a long shot at best, but it doesn't stop us from going and trying," Howard said. "You really can't think about winning it. You have to think about playing England, Slovenia and Algeria."

Those are the Group C rivals for the US team, which will play a final tune-up match next Saturday against Australia at Roodepoort, South Africa, ahead of a 12 June opener against England at Rustenburg.

"We're still trying to get that sharpness," US playmaker Clint Dempsey said. "Hopefully we will get more confidence. Hopefully we don't need to run ourselves ragged and we can do a better job of keeping the ball. These guys know how to leave it all on the field. Hopefully they will have the confidence to do that. We like to think we have the confidence. We'll find out after that first game even though we know it's not the be-all and end-all."

US captain Carlos Bocanegra, fellow defender Jay DeMerit and backline star Oguchi Onyewu are all coming off injuries and how well they respond will be critical to American hopes for repeating a 2002 quarter-final run after a disappointing first-round flop four years ago. That failure led to Bradley taking over the program and reshaping the squad with a constant philosophy that has paid dividends.

"Bob has been hammering into us from day one on how we want to go about things, how we bring it to training every day, and that hasn't changed," said Bocanegra. "He has stuck to his path and the guys have bought into it. It's not just about the next two weeks. It has been building up since three years ago."

Excited? 19 players from outside the States, sounds good to me but not sure if the Yank population are thinking 'yay, we're good and play elsewhere' or are a bit put out not so many players from your own league? Only 6 players that have played in a World Cup before, a lot of teams go for experience in tournaments regardless of how they got there, be interesting.

Good luck but hope you don't beat us or our country will implode with rage! :p

i was in Miami last world cup, and in half time between Italy vs USA I went out to buy something to eat, and all the city was pretty normal, the problem is than in US nobody watch the games.... Of course since 2006 to 2010 the fan base have grow but still, If you are in brasil or other football countries when the nacional team plays there is nobody in the street, no work , no nothing

Soccer isn't exactly our national sport. At best it would be one of five (and it's nowhere near there yet), and that's just too much to think about halting work when big matches are being played -- especially when they're in a different time zone.

i was in Miami last world cup, and in half time between Italy vs USA I went out to buy something to eat, and all the city was pretty normal, the problem is than in US nobody watch the games

Last time, about as many people watched the world cup as watched the NBA finals or World Series that year

To begin with, many people in Miami don't identify as Americans or as individuals from countries in the world cup

.... Of course since 2006 to 2010 the fan base have grow but still, If you are in brasil or other football countries when the nacional team plays there is nobody in the street, no work , no nothing

that sort of work stoppage for sport is so exceptionally rare in the US that I'm quite certain it hasn't happened once in the last two decades for any sport.

Occasionally you'll see cities largely shut down to to local team sporting success, but I don't believe there's any example of national shut-downs for sport.

You're off!

Excited? 19 players from outside the States, sounds good to me but not sure if the Yank population are thinking 'yay, we're good and play elsewhere' or are a bit put out not so many players from your own league? Only 6 players that have played in a World Cup before, a lot of teams go for experience in tournaments regardless of how they got there, be interesting.

many american fans prefer our stars play abroad so they aren't apt to fall victim to the 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome

plus some feel the need for international validation of the best players

You're off!

Excited? 19 players from outside the States, sounds good to me but not sure if the Yank population are thinking 'yay, we're good and play elsewhere' or are a bit put out not so many players from your own league?

the only people complaining about this are people looking for something to complain about. a quick glance through wiki tells me

nigeria - 0 domestic players on their wc squad

cameroon - 1

slovakia - 2

uruguay - 2

slovenia - 2

ivory coast - 2

brazil - 3

australia - 3

ghana - 3

serbia - 3

paraguay - 4

argentina - 6

I take it as a compliment that we're now an exporter of footballers. generally speaking, there are, imo, 4 types of footballing nations: the first produces world class talent and has the resources and club strength to retain them.. that's basically spain, england, italy and germany. the second group produces good players, but generally either overvalues them domestically so only the best players go abroad. I'd put countries like japan and mexico in this group. the third group is an exporter of talent, players are developed in order to sell them overseas for a profit. this is where the bulk of countries are, including world powers like argentina, brazil and the netherlands, generally speaking. the 4th group have players that play better as a team than they do individually, and there's not a lot of market for them. this is greece, south korea, and south africa.

the us used to be in group 4, probably as recently as 2002. we've moved up to group 3. I see this as a net positive. if we can slowly strengthen the league, we have the talent to stock the teams. a successful wc2022 bid may affect this greatly.

i was in Miami last world cup, and in half time between Italy vs USA I went out to buy something to eat, and all the city was pretty normal, the problem is than in US nobody watch the games.... Of course since 2006 to 2010 the fan base have grow but still, If you are in brasil or other football countries when the nacional team plays there is nobody in the street, no work , no nothing

1) you were in the wrong town

2) just because you didn't see people on the streets doesn't mean they weren't watching. did you see any tvs on the streets?

I'd take it as a compliment with the overseas players as well but I realise Yanks are a little different, wondering if they're more detached as they don't see the players playing at home, you know how the Brazilians can get sometimes, that's moreso the casual fan than the proper footie fan, of course.

1) you were in the wrong town

2) just because you didn't see people on the streets doesn't mean they weren't watching. did you see any tvs on the streets?

hey im not trying to say bad staff about america, I used to live there, Yeah i know Miami dont watch sports, well maybe some Heat games but just that, What im saying with alll this is that the more people support the team and go to the world cup and the games in south africa, the USA team will feel like in home and they can do a better job... just a thought but i still going to Cheer for USA

BTW: Great pics Daaaave, Im going to watch all the world cup in Miami and ill post some pics if i see something like this ill look for it... to watch a game like that is really good...

Completely forgot we were playing Turkey, so I didn't get to watch any of the game. From what I've read, it sounded like Torres and Findley were the surprise standouts?

Torres looked great against the Czechs as well, he's the rare American player who can play like a traditional playmaker at times. Our other "playmaker" options usually fall into either the category of Donovan & Dempsey (in that they need to run at defenders to create) or Bradley (who plays short, simple, and predictable).

So what's the starting lineup we go with? Personally I might go with this (seeing as how we'll almost inevitably go with Bob's 4-4-2):

Altidore - Dempsey

Donovan - Torres - Bradley - Holden

Bocanegra - DeMerit - Oneywu - Cherundolo/Spector

If need be Dempsey can always drop back into midfield for Holden and bring on Gomez, Findley, or Buddle up top. In the middle we'll have Edu & Clark who can make the side a little more defensive. And hopefully at the back some combination of those 5 can get it done, because we're pretty shallow beyond that.

I like that lineup. I'd pick Cherundolo over Spector.

Squad numbers:

1 Tim Howard

2 Jonathan Spector

3 Carlos Bocanegra

4 Michael Bradley

5 Oguchi Onyewu

6 Steve Cherundolo

7 DaMarcus Beasley

8 Clint Dempsey

9 Herculez Gomez

10 Landon Donovan

11 Stuart Holden

12 Jonathan Bornstein

13 Ricardo Clark

14 Edson Buddle

15 Jay DeMerit

16 Jose Torres

17 Jozy Altidore

18 Brad Guzan

19 Maurice Edu

20 Robbie Findley

21 Clarence Goodson

22 Benny Feilhaber

23 Marcus Hahnemann

eh, Altidore and Dempsey didn't look good up front together against Turkey, but the problem there may have been our midfield.

I would probably pick Cherundolo over Spector as well, never been overly impressed with Spector.

I like that lineup. I'd pick Cherundolo over Spector.

spector against england for a stronger defensive shell and knowledge of the english players, cherundolo against slovenia and algeria since he's better at coming forward and creating width.

Torres looked great against the Czechs as well, he's the rare American player who can play like a traditional playmaker at times. Our other "playmaker" options usually fall into either the category of Donovan & Dempsey (in that they need to run at defenders to create) or Bradley (who plays short, simple, and predictable).

I just like that Torres is a steady-handed complement to Bradley's occasional bout of freneticism.

Spector was terrible against Turkey -- worst player on the pitch, I thought. I really don't like Dempsey as a conventional striker, either. If Bradley is wed to a flat 4-4-2 like he seems to be, than I'd rather see Findley or Buddle alongside Altidore and Dempsey out left.

He still has a better chance of lifting the cup with Italy than he does with America. It's not like his international career is over because he was left off the squad at age 23 -- especially since he plays for a nation notorious for passing over younger players.

onyewu could deal with crouch much better than defoe.

Well, that too. Rooney and Defoe v. Demerit and Gooch is also a little scary. I just keep seeing Rooney alone up top. I kinda hope that happens.

He still has a better chance of lifting the cup with Italy than he does with America. It's not like his international career is over because he was left off the squad at age 23 -- especially since he plays for a nation notorious for passing over younger players.

he'll have a tough time lifting the cup if he's not on the squad. it isn't like he'll have an easier time in 2014 with pazzini, balotelli, acquafresca, palladino and gilardino will all be 31 or younger with guys like okaka coming up through the ranks. it isn't like italy's ever hurting for attacking players.

he'll have a tough time lifting the cup if he's not on the squad. it isn't like he'll have an easier time in 2014 with pazzini, balotelli, acquafresca, palladino and gilardino will all be 31 or younger with guys like okaka coming up through the ranks. it isn't like italy's ever hurting for attacking players.

And, if Lippi is not the manager and Cassano is not getting married again, he is also ahead of Rossi.

Well, that too. Rooney and Defoe v. Demerit and Gooch is also a little scary. I just keep seeing Rooney alone up top. I kinda hope that happens.

I think we'll probably start with Heskey or Crouch against you, definitely not Defoe.

Hanmehann was speaking on BBC Podcast the other day, was relaxed, they asked him if you did altitude training and he said no but you're there (wherever you are) and it's x above sea level so adapting, quite relaxed, said rooming with some young lad Robbie Findlay, joked about leading him astray, saying a bit boring, training and eating, didn't have internet for a bit.

Talked about publicity back home, announcing the team on ESPN, had some count down clock or something? He's pretty well 'in' with the English media so I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot from him during the tournament

I think we'll probably start with Heskey or Crouch against you, definitely not Defoe.

Hanmehann was speaking on BBC Podcast the other day, was relaxed, they asked him if you did altitude training and he said no but you're there (wherever you are) and it's x above sea level so adapting, quite relaxed, said rooming with some young lad Robbie Findlay, joked about leading him astray, saying a bit boring, training and eating, didn't have internet for a bit.

Talked about publicity back home, announcing the team on ESPN, had some count down clock or something? He's pretty well 'in' with the English media so I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot from him during the tournament

Ha! He has been in a few articles here complaining about the ball. Yes, ESPN has been really pushing the WC which is great. All of my friends who have no interest in football are probably going to a local bar with me to watch on June 12th. Should be a great day.

As for Crouch/Heskey, I agree. I just think Crouch offers so much more at this point and I think Gooch and DeMerit will have to be unreal to deal with him and Rooney. Of course, if the ball can't be crossed for headers the way Hahnemann is complaining about...

Altidore - Dempsey

Donovan - Torres - Bradley - Holden

Bocanegra - DeMerit - Oneywu - Cherundolo/Spector

I would agree with this except that we might play Dempsey wide left and Donovan/Torres/Bradley in teh middle to start the match. This is a game that is just crying out for us to weather the storm and not be so aggressive to start the match. Hate to say it but Beasley is not a terrible starter on the left if we are playing defensively (Did I really just say that?) b/c he can and will track all the way back to help Bocanegra who is going to likely be caught in a giant **** storm from minute one.

Oh, and definitely Cherundolo from what I have seen. Spector will be much better verse Algeria/Slovenia.

If I had choice of which second English striker to play against, I would take Heskey in a heartbeat followed by Crouch. I think we're more vulnerable to speed through the middle than strength.

Rooney plays much better with a target man or alone than with the likes of Defoe. Gooch is better suited for defending Crouch than Heskey, so I think Rooney-Heskey is to be feared the most.

if jozy is also out against England we are certainly boned

I don't think(maybe it's just hope?) that it's too serious, so I'd expect him to be fine for that, but anything can happen with injuries.

Archived