The Official USA Thread

spartans5

Any idea if Buddle's going to force his way into a start because of his form? Looking at him for USA's top goalscorer in betting.

I thought for a while that he should be starting next to Jozy. Today didn't hurt that one bit. He looked very confident on the first goal and aggressive on the second.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any idea if Buddle's going to force his way into a start because of his form? Looking at him for USA's top goalscorer in betting.

really no way of knowing

at the moment it's up in the air as Jozy could be basically the lone striker or you could have either findley or buddle paired with him up top

I don't know whether I would put all that much money on a second striker managing to be the top scorer

Since Bradley has taken over, the yearly scoring leaders and the scoring leaders in tournaments:

2010:

2009: jozy led the way with 6 goals, donovan with 5, bradley and deuce with 4, davies and kljestan with 3, and everyone else with 2 or fewer

- Confed Cup: Dempsey 3, Donovan 2, Bradley, Davies, and Altidore with 1

- Gold Cup: Holden and Cooper with 2, Adu, Rogers, Davies, Quaranta, Ching, Arnaud, Beckerman, and Goodson all with 1

2008: Ching and Dempsey topped the charts with 4, Donovan and Onyewu had 3, Altidore, DMB, Bocanegra, Bradley, and Lewis all had 2, and a bunch of others had 1

2007: Donovan led the way with 8 (4 penalties), DMB and Dempsey had 3, Bocanegra, Feilhaber, and Johnson had 2, and 9 others had 1

- Gold Cup: Donovan scored 4, 7 different players scored 1

- Copa America: Eddie Johnson and Ricardo Clark scored 1

I guess it's possible for Buddle to somehow score a number, but more likely Donovan, Dempsey, and Altidore are the three with the best chances and I'd say darkhorses would be Bradley, Bocanegra, and one of our central defenders (either Onyewu or Goodson depending on who is going to be fit)

Will Spector start? Doesn't look like he played many of the qualifiers.

He played first half v. Turkey. He gets forward well, but Cherundolo has been much better defensively. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cher start v. England and Spector see more time v. the other two in the group.

you know, I'd actually start buddle and gomez up top. they're the most fit, most in form and have spent the most time on the field recently for their club teams. use altidore as your super sub to run at defenses late since I don't think robbie has anything to offer against england. I think it would also take capello by surprise and maybe give us a slight tactical advantage.

That's not a bad shout, as I'm thinking more and more Bradley will go for a pretty rigidly defined 442. And I have this gut sense that Altidore and Buddle together aren't the way to go (despite the fact that both are sufficiently pacy and able to hold the ball to not cause any glaring weaknesses when paired). I also like Gomez playing in the first two games. He's a kind of player that is to be found pretty exclusively in Latin America these days, and his presence might cause a little consternation for European defenses.

Never happen, ofc.

I have this feeling he is seriously thinking of puttinig Jozy up top alone and stacking the midfield. That is why he tried it in the first half v. Turkey. It worked so poorly, that he is probably having second thoughts. But the fact remains that it is very likely we will need to survive a whole lot of early pressure. Not so sure any two strikers help that a whole lot.

I have this feeling he is seriously thinking of puttinig Jozy up top alone and stacking the midfield. That is why he tried it in the first half v. Turkey. It worked so poorly, that he is probably having second thoughts. But the fact remains that it is very likely we will need to survive a whole lot of early pressure. Not so sure any two strikers help that a whole lot.
:confused: He played a 4-4-2 against Turkey the entire match. In the first half, Dempsey played as an out-and-out striker.

That's awesome. Just watched "Rivalries" about the famous Scotland/England matches. Fantastic.

That was on here the other day, also did an England/Germany one the following day.

Don't get the Jocks supporting you, their bitterness rubs off on others ;)

I want USA to win but that's because your away top is fb. I have the top just not allowed it til my birthday at the end of June :( I'm trying to convince them to let me have it for this match :cool:

tell them you only want it for the match then they can have it until your birthday. After all, this is what to wear it for if anything

I want USA to win but that's because your away top is fb. I have the top just not allowed it til my birthday at the end of June :( I'm trying to convince them to let me have it for this match :cool:

I hope you convince them. Got mine and will have it on at the bar tomorrow. \o/

Now if only Ricardo Clark were out of the side.

that was the main negative I saw from the game. Along with our shaky defense. But it was England, who aren't exactly a bad team. They can make teams look shaky.

I am very happy with a point from that, although right after the match was done, I was disappointed with a draw. Probably a good sign.

Now let's keep up a high level of play and not drop off after a performance like that.

he certainly has pace. according to the stats that fifa post after games, his top speed today was 30.13 km/hr

yeah, I thought he did well annoying the England backline a bit, but people have said "all he has is pace and carragher ran him down" which I think is incredibly harsh.

Good result, but we have to be careful against better teams not to let them have so much of the ball. We hardly put any passes together in the 2nd half, and it seemed players were getting in each others way.

England were (as Lalas loved to say) ripe for the picking today. Will be interesting in later games should we score first....our threat on the counter looks immense!

Archived