2D vs 3D competition poll lets have it

Whats it to be?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. Whats it to be?

After reading crouchaldinho`s thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=123118I am supprised to see how many people actually still like 2D mode its about as old as the dinosaurs and especially after the birth of 3D into the FM world which surely has to be the way forward by the way, it has me thinking how many of FM fans are still stuck in the past:D

So lets have a bit of fun with this poll all in good spirits 3D vs 2D lets have it:D:thup:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3D all the way

Why use an inferior, old-fashioned view?

22-16 to the 3D!!

Why use an inferior, old fashion 3D graphics that came out of 1990's?

2D for just now although in newer FM's to come 3D will take over IMO

Well that was the word when FM09 was out, yet the margin is still small.

Interesting to see that the voting is so close(ish).

Just out of interest, I wonder how many of the people that voted for 2D are using it out of choice and not just because their systems cannot handle the 3D view properly?

Thats true I have to say I didn`t think about that, there could be a lot of people using 2D just because of their laptop/pc not being good enough to enjoy 3D.

Interesting to see that the voting is so close(ish).

Just out of interest, I wonder how many of the people that voted for 2D are using it out of choice and not just because their systems cannot handle the 3D view properly?

every kid that can't get their parents to upgrade their 3 year old system :p

3D is the de creme of de creme, that's if you have a good spec computer where it runs smoother than a baby's bottom.

2D is old hat and ok for low spec computers and some seem happy with there amiga spec computers playing it.

For me watching a dot round the screen is like watching some guy with measles who needs bed rest and is no way connected with football in any way shape or form.

Supporters of 2D would love the 3D if only there low spec machine would allow it :D

3D is the de creme of de creme, that's if you have a good spec computer where it runs smoother than a baby's bottom.

2D is old hat and ok for low spec computers and some seem happy with there amiga spec computers playing it.

For me watching a dot round the screen is like watching some guy with measles who needs bed rest and is no way connected with football in any way shape or form.

Supporters of 2D would love the 3D if only there low spec machine would allow it :D

yeah i'm the same, i can't bear to watch them fatter than average footballers (dots) kicking a ball

3d!

How in gods name can anyone enjoying watching in 3D, it doesn't give you nearly the tactic edge that 2D does and isn't exactly far prettier...

I've never understood this complaint about 3D. I do mostly use 2D but using one of the zoomed out cameras in 3D gives you a more than good enough view of what's going on on the pitch. it's not like the game is that tactically advanced that you need to monitor movement of all your players at all times. Whether it's 2D or 3D makes zero difference to tactics IMO.

I defo use 2D, its great , its good to report your whole team and to see who played good, to see if your formation is doing good , to see if anyone is doing anything wrong ect , it really helps show the pro's and con's of your team and formation.

2D because my laptop is a little under-spec. Nothing major but I'd prefer it running smoothly on 2D than trying hard to watch 3D and coming on here to moan about it not happening.

Same for me. I also don't think the 3d is quite there yet, maybe in FM2011 or 2012 I will be a convert

I've posted this elsewhere, of course, but this would be my top 10 reasons that 2D is better than 3D:

1) 2D classic is the soul of the game in my opinion, giving enough information but crucially allowing for that imagination factor.

2) 3D scrolls like your watching television and I just hate ball watching. :mad:

3) You cannot see the whole pitch whilst using 3D.

4) Poor performance on 'lower' spec computers. 2D will always be quicker on your laptop.

5) 3D barely adds anything visually that you cannot work out from the 2d.

6) Even with the new animations, it's so far from looking realistic that it's not even funny.

7) The stadiums, pitches, goal nets and fans etc. all look so identikit, i just don't see the point at all.

8) 3D just makes the game look cartoonish. I want to play a management simulation, not a silly looking arcade football game.

9) FM is a simulation as much as it is a game and I just don't think it needs flashy graphics and shiny surface features. FM is about so much more than stadiums and animations.

10) 3D sets an impossible-to-realise goal in terms of realism. 2D is practical, looks good, allows the imagination to be used and has become an iconic of the FM series.

I don't buy into this whole '3D is new and the way forward' nonsense. That just makes the assumption that newer is better and anyone who reads literature, listens to music, drinks wine or whisky etc. knows that just isn't true. :D For what it's worth, my computer would run the 3D but I choose to use the 2D.

I've honestly given the 3D a chance as well. This will surprise some people but I actually think that the Sensible Soccer view is all right (I think it's called Vertical Scrolling). I could cope with using that view, I'll admit, although it still isn't perfect for me. But if I'm using the top down view, I might as well be using dots, right?

I think I might even try to use 3D if there was a top down 3D view from the side of the pitch (which allowed me to see most of, or all of, the pitch). I always like to watch football from near the half way line in real life. From my point of view, if you could get a 3D view which looked more like 2D classic, I would probably end up using it. :D

To be honest, one of the main reasons I prefer the dots is that they allow your imagination to flow whilst watching the match. The more realistic the graphics and animations try to look, the more I cringe because they fill in the gaps I would fill with my imagination with something that is far inferior.

Right now, I don't like the way the camera jerks about following the ball wherever it goes. I get annoyed that players are sometimes off the screen. Another irritation is that I don't know who is who a lot of the time as well. I know their names come up when they are on the ball, but off the ball there is nothing. On 2D, I have a number to refer to all of the time. On 3d, all of the players look the same and have no identifying number or name most of the time. It's especially annoying when you're starting off with a new team and you don't know the names of the players very well yet.

The animations are looking much better in general in FM10 but I still don't like certain things, like watching two players contest the ball and sort of toe poking it in lieu of a proper tackle. Sometimes 3D just looks so fake and unreal. Things like the goal celebrations, where the 3D characters lamely run about with their hands in the air, wind me up. In 2D the dots run around and I can imagine how they are celebrating. All I need as a manager dot to make me totally content. :cool:

I have tried 3D and I'm not being difficult for the sake of it. Those are my main feelings about 3D really. Hope that explains it.

Regards,

C.

Great Post, fully agree

I've posted this elsewhere, of course, but this would be my top 10 reasons that 2D is better than 3D:

1) 2D classic is the soul of the game in my opinion, giving enough information but crucially allowing for that imagination factor.

2) 3D scrolls like your watching television and I just hate ball watching. :mad:

3) You cannot see the whole pitch whilst using 3D.

4) Poor performance on 'lower' spec computers. 2D will always be quicker on your laptop.

5) 3D barely adds anything visually that you cannot work out from the 2d.

6) Even with the new animations, it's so far from looking realistic that it's not even funny.

7) The stadiums, pitches, goal nets and fans etc. all look so identikit, i just don't see the point at all.

8) 3D just makes the game look cartoonish. I want to play a management simulation, not a silly looking arcade football game.

9) FM is a simulation as much as it is a game and I just don't think it needs flashy graphics and shiny surface features. FM is about so much more than stadiums and animations.

10) 3D sets an impossible-to-realise goal in terms of realism. 2D is practical, looks good, allows the imagination to be used and has become an iconic of the FM series.

I don't buy into this whole '3D is new and the way forward' nonsense. That just makes the assumption that newer is better and anyone who reads literature, listens to music, drinks wine or whisky etc. knows that just isn't true. :D For what it's worth, my computer would run the 3D but I choose to use the 2D.

I've honestly given the 3D a chance as well. This will surprise some people but I actually think that the Sensible Soccer view is all right (I think it's called Vertical Scrolling). I could cope with using that view, I'll admit, although it still isn't perfect for me. But if I'm using the top down view, I might as well be using dots, right?

I think I might even try to use 3D if there was a top down 3D view from the side of the pitch (which allowed me to see most of, or all of, the pitch). I always like to watch football from near the half way line in real life. From my point of view, if you could get a 3D view which looked more like 2D classic, I would probably end up using it. :D

To be honest, one of the main reasons I prefer the dots is that they allow your imagination to flow whilst watching the match. The more realistic the graphics and animations try to look, the more I cringe because they fill in the gaps I would fill with my imagination with something that is far inferior.

Right now, I don't like the way the camera jerks about following the ball wherever it goes. I get annoyed that players are sometimes off the screen. Another irritation is that I don't know who is who a lot of the time as well. I know their names come up when they are on the ball, but off the ball there is nothing. On 2D, I have a number to refer to all of the time. On 3d, all of the players look the same and have no identifying number or name most of the time. It's especially annoying when you're starting off with a new team and you don't know the names of the players very well yet.

The animations are looking much better in general in FM10 but I still don't like certain things, like watching two players contest the ball and sort of toe poking it in lieu of a proper tackle. Sometimes 3D just looks so fake and unreal. Things like the goal celebrations, where the 3D characters lamely run about with their hands in the air, wind me up. In 2D the dots run around and I can imagine how they are celebrating. All I need as a manager dot to make me totally content. :cool:

I have tried 3D and I'm not being difficult for the sake of it. Those are my main feelings about 3D really. Hope that explains it.

Regards,

C.

Archived