FM15: Everton FC – The school of science is on its way back

Koki Balboa

It`s a grand old team to play for, its a grand old team to support, the toffee`s are singing while the blue Merseyside perform their hearts out on the Goodison. It’s a every Toffee dream come true, isn’t it. But long time ago former St Domingo's founded in 1878. was only for people from the parish of St Domingo's Methodist Church in city of Liverpool. The club was renamed Everton a year later after the local area, as people outside the parish wished to participate. The club was a founding member of The Football League in 1888–89, winning their first League Championship title in the 1890–91 season.

Since then Everton von 9 English premier division titles to day, with clubs most notable trophy won in 1985 European Cup Winners Cup (now replaced by UEFA Europa League).

2v9448z.jpg

a296c4.jpg

So Why the hell we want to choose Everton to manage?

There is at least 5 reasons for doing that !

- There`s a prison, The Prince Rupert`s Tower, which was for drunkards, and suspected criminals, on their shirt logo.

- Ancient Everton Toffee House was a sweet shop owned by Old Ma Bushell, who created the Everton Toffee. These delights were sold in large quantities to fans as they watched Everton play, hence the Nickname

- Did you know that perhaps the greatest English striker of all time played for Everton? Despite looking like the love child of Carlos Tevez and Frida Kahlo, William “Dixie” Dean was unquestionably the best player to ever don Everton blue. He scored 383 goals in 433 appearances for Everton

- Neville Southall, legendary loyal goalkeeper holds the record for the most Everton appearances - he played 751 first-team matches between 1981 and 1997

- Once "Deadly", now Coach of the first team, legendary Scotsman, Duncan Ferguson, "Big Dunc", was target for house robbery twice. Both times "Big Dunc's" fists stopped the thieves, first time he sat on a thief while police arrives, second time the thief ended in hospital recovering for two days.

How cool is that ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay Everton is very interesting team with plenty of youth potential. At the beginning of your career as a manager you should face following:

- Transfer Balance: £24.7m

- Current wages: £1.1m

- Wage budget: £1.2m

- Transfer budget: £6.75m

- Debt: £53m

- Philosophy to "Develop players using club's youth system"

2krbqb.jpg

2ijhxsi.jpg

Although there is not much room at the start to add someone special to the team since low wage budget gap. You could dedicate yourself for youth, or if you offload few fringe players on high wages, you could accumulate cash to renew the squad, since there is many ageing players. Lets take detailed look at the team. It looks pretty flexible and adaptable to any system or tactics, so here are my points of view and guidance.

Goalkeeping Area

We have 7 goalkeepers at the club. Only two of them are good enough. Tim Howard and Joel Robles.

15ofol0.jpg

Tim Howard is world class keeper with good Handling, Reflexes, One to One ability, experienced and decent tutor for some young potential. Joel Robles is decent cover, but nothing more.

There is no much potential at the club in this area, since other keepers are not good enough to be considered as such. Also you could face latter in the season Joel Robles desire for first team football, which could be led to an issue or disrupting harmony in the dressing room. I would recommend for some quality young goalkeeper, to be tutored and nurtured for two seasons and to take over for Howard.

Defence Area

Everton has very good all-round Defence.

2hdy2wm.jpg

When we take a good look at Central Defender Area we have Jagielka club captain, who is world class, versatile defender, then Distin who is aging but still good Stopper, and Strong tackler and finally Stones who is great potential, and if you use him as first choice, he will not disappoint.

On the flanks we have, two of 5 best fullbacks in the league. Best player at the club Leighton Baines, and equally good Seamus Coleman. Both of them are good Complete Wing backs, capable both offensively and defensively. Bryan Oviedo is good rotation option on the left, and John Stones can play on the right if he needs to. Besic is good prospect and decent cover in the centre or he could do excellent job on the right, Alcaraz is fringe player, but can be used for injury hit team in the cups or as a backup option, if not sold.

So practically we are fully covered in defence. My recommendation is to sell Alcaraz, and replace him with young central defender. Also Distin should be sold to stretch the payroll structure and because he is Aging and could be replaced with some young potential.

Midfield Area

Here is another good all-round area filled with ability and potential, maybe the best area of the team

3305l4g.jpg

Best thing is that you can choose how to play with them, all players are good with decent enough potential to develop further more. Stand out players are McCarthy who can play both deep or in the center of midfield, Barry is little experienced better defensively, stronger, but equally capable to perform holding midfielder duty. Kevin Mirallas, is quick agile winger, or deadly inside forward, good finisher, depends on your style of play.

There is also great potential in the club in this area. Ross Barkley, one of ten most promising players in the game, and Ryan Ledson also great central midfielder, or George Green potential Enganche or Advanced Playmaker.

My Recommendations are that you sell Darron Gibson, as he is decent, but can be replaced with younger player who will develop to be better than Gibson. Also you should try to consider selling Naismith if you are not planning to play Strikerless, if you are then he could be useful. Leon Osman is a club legend and vice captain. Although he could be sold for peanuts, since you got better players to perform, i prefer to use him as backup and tutor for youngsters to come.

Attacking Area

There are three players who can be used as Strikers.

2m7dwkx.jpg

Youngest and strongest among them is Romelu Lukaku. Belgian Prodigy is compared to Big Duncan Ferguson, because of his style and ability. He is strong, good in the air and good finisher with potential to be one of the best in the club. There is also former Chelsea player Samuel Etoo, who is remarkably weaker than last year, but still good enough to be the first choice, good finisher, but lacks pace, and aging. Kevin Mirallas, one of the best players in the club can be also used in this place, should we decide to use pace instead of presence in the attack.

My recommendations are to buy one more young striker with quality to rotate with Lukaku, since Etoo is not as good as he used to be, and is not age proof :)

There is not good enough potential in this area, and need strengthening.

Tactical and Strategy corner

Everton is very versatile team, and can play formation you like, but I think that 4-2-3-1 suits them best, regardless of that this is my favorite formation :cool:

2d743q.jpg

Idea behind this formation is that I like Wing backs to provide me with width on the flanks, Barry to drop deeper and protect the back line, McCarthy to be Box to box. Lukaku to be used for his strengths, aerial ability and strength, to support the play, and encourage Mirallas and Etoo to ter down opposition defence with intelligent runs and finishing. Also Pienaar to be the creative force which sits narrower to help the midfield in numbers and creation, and to let the Baines do the crossing and running down the flank.

e8pteq.jpg

This formation is pretty much the same positionally with two small alterations. DM`s are used in defence to pack the line in front of the goal, and to spear counter attacks. Usually I support this tactics, with direct quick passing, and drop deeper, use the flanks, and Whip crosses shouts. Use formation when pushed back and when opposition is trying to equalize the result or chasing the goal.

10gbp7o.jpg

I like to include one formation with two strikers for just in case, and flexibility. Idea behind diamond is to use it when your wingers are unavailable or suspended injured, or else.

I hope that you all have a good save with Everton and Enjoy the game as much as I do.

Awesome, an Everton thread finally!

I've been (slowly) playing through an Everton save and doing quite well. Joint top of the PL with a game in hand, final of the League Cup, topped the Europa Group without dropping a point etc. etc.

3M8jiwrl.png

Tried to play how we play IRL, which is fairly asymmetrically formation-wise. Short passing game, lots of triangles. Haven't quite got retention where I'd like it but I think that's more to do with the relative reputation of my team than my tactics. (I have a second, mirrored tactic with an AML, AMCR etc.)

SUHVaH4l.png

Team shouts:

* Shorter Passing

* Work Ball Into Box

* Play Out Of Defence

* Push Higher Up

My thinking came from the following squad analysis.

(In advance, it will become clear that I love centre-backs who can play football, and midfielders who can defend)

GK: Howard is fine, Robles is a waste of cash. Need a good young back-up with potential.

RB: Coleman is class, but Hibbert isn't good enough. If you're building Coleman's attributes into your tactics then Hibbert will stand out like a sore thumb.

CB: Jagielka is class, Stones is a future top-class ballplaying-CB. Distin and Alcaraz are worse than nobody because of their age. They will get injured at the worst possible points. Need to go now.

LB: Baines is your best player, Oviedo is v. good backup with some decent potential.

DM: Barry is perfect in the short-term. Besic and Gibson are good back-up. McCarthy can easily be great here if you need him.

ML/MR (depending): I actually quite like McGeady here, though he's better further up. Pienaar + Osman are solid short-term options. Barry, McCarthy, and Gibson can all step in as well.

MC: McCarthy every day of the week, powerhouse of an engine in midfield. Gibson and Osman are both back-ups, and I rate Gibson's defensive qualities as more important than his poor dribbling.

AML/AMR (depending): Mirallas is top-class. McGeady is a good option too. Eto'o can do a job at AML until his pace drops a little further. Don't discount Kone, though he's too injury prone to rely on.

AMC: Barkley is your potentially world-class option here, but he starts long-term injured. Naismith is much improved this year and is a solid option. Eto'o can do well here.

ST: Lukaku is great, and potentially the best all-round striker in the world. Kone + Eto'o as backups.

so tl;dr: strong first 11, depth is a bit iffy especially when you consider injuries.

Must-haves: 2 new, young+fit CBs. One should be ready for first-team action.

Nice-to-haves: Better GK backup, extra body up front.

Must-sells: Distin, Alcaraz.

Sell-for-good-offers: Robles (promote to must-sell if you sign a GK), Pienaar, Gibson, Kone, Eto'o (wages).

Of my signings. I spent big on getting quality youth in. I like to rotate a lot, so I want the players I'm rotating in to be players that gain a lot of benefit from the time. Rather than spending 40k p/w on an older player who will never make it at the higher level I'm aiming to get to.

Summer in (£):

Jesús Vallejo - 1.1m

Ante Coric - 975k

Éder Álvarez Balanta - 6.5m

Theo Bongonda - 6.25m

Gino Peruzzi - 3.5m

Summer out (£):

Alcaraz - 1.2m (Swansea)

Distin - 375k (Evian)

~ various loans

January In (£):

José Luis Gayá - 15m

Timo Horn - 3.8m

January Out (£):

Bryan Oviedo - 7m (Wolfsburg)

I was top of the league in January so I changed my expectations to a title challenge. Oviedo pushed for an exit for more first-team football, which led to me needing to sign Gayá. Horn came in, but I was unable to shift Robles.

Thus my squad is currently:

GK: Howard, Horn

RB: Coleman, Peruzzi, Hibbert,

CB: Stones, Balanta, Jagielka, Vallejo, Besic

LB: Baines, Gaya

DM: Besic, Barry, Galloway, Gibson, Ledson, McCarthy

ML/MR: McGeady, Coric, Pienaar, Osman, Barry

MC: McCarthy, Gibson, Galloway, Osman, Barry

AMC: Barkley, Naismith, Coric, Eto'o

AML/R: Mirallas, Bongonda, McGeady, Kone

ST: Lukaku, Eto'o, Kone, Naismith

Mirallas and Barkley have been on fire:

6CxR1hbl.png

I've been very happily surprised with the development of both Besic and Galloway. Stones, Barkley, Lukaku all developing well as expected. Of the new signings Coric and Vallejo are pushing to be first-11 next season.

This summer will be a big deadwood sale. Pienaar, Gibson, Kone, and Robles will all go. Will possibly need 1-2 new young players in for numbers.

I've been (slowly) playing through an Everton save and doing quite well. Joint top of the PL with a game in hand, final of the League Cup, topped the Europa Group without dropping a point etc. etc.

3M8jiwrl.png

Tried to play how we play IRL, which is fairly asymmetrically formation-wise. Short passing game, lots of triangles. Haven't quite got retention where I'd like it but I think that's more to do with the relative reputation of my team than my tactics. (I have a second, mirrored tactic with an AML, AMCR etc.)

SUHVaH4l.png

Team shouts:

* Shorter Passing

* Work Ball Into Box

* Play Out Of Defence

* Push Higher Up

(In advance, it will become clear that I love centre-backs who can play football, and midfielders who can defend)

GK: Howard is fine, Robles is a waste of cash. Need a good young back-up with potential.

RB: Coleman is class, but Hibbert isn't good enough. If you're building Coleman's attributes into your tactics then Hibbert will stand out like a sore thumb.

CB: Jagielka is class, Stones is a future top-class ballplaying-CB. Distin and Alcaraz are worse than nobody because of their age. They will get injured at the worst possible points. Need to go now.

LB: Baines is your best player, Oviedo is v. good backup with some decent potential.

DM: Barry is perfect in the short-term. Besic and Gibson are good back-up. McCarthy can easily be great here if you need him.

ML/MR (depending): I actually quite like McGeady here, though he's better further up. Pienaar + Osman are solid short-term options. Barry, McCarthy, and Gibson can all step in as well.

MC: McCarthy every day of the week, powerhouse of an engine in midfield. Gibson and Osman are both back-ups, and I rate Gibson's defensive qualities as more important than his poor dribbling.

AML/AMR (depending): Mirallas is top-class. McGeady is a good option too. Eto'o can do a job at AML until his pace drops a little further. Don't discount Kone, though he's too injury prone to rely on.

AMC: Barkley is your potentially world-class option here, but he starts long-term injured. Naismith is much improved this year and is a solid option. Eto'o can do well here.

ST: Lukaku is great, and potentially the best all-round striker in the world. Kone + Eto'o as backups.

so tl;dr: strong first 11, depth is a bit iffy especially when you consider injuries.

Sell-for-good-offers: Robles (promote to must-sell if you sign a GK), Pienaar, Gibson, Kone, Eto'o (wages).

Of my signings. I spent big on getting quality youth in. I like to rotate a lot, so I want the players I'm rotating in to be players that gain a lot of benefit from the time. Rather than spending 40k p/w on an older player who will never make it at the higher level I'm aiming to get to.

Summer in (£):

Jesús Vallejo - 1.1m

Ante Coric - 975k

Theo Bongonda - 6.25m

Gino Peruzzi - 3.5m

Summer out (£):

Alcaraz - 1.2m (Swansea)

Distin - 375k (Evian)

~ various loans

January In (£):

José Luis Gayá - 15m

Timo Horn - 3.8m

January Out (£):

I was top of the league in January so I changed my expectations to a title challenge. Oviedo pushed for an exit for more first-team football, which led to me needing to sign Gayá. Horn came in, but I was unable to shift Robles.

6CxR1hbl.png

I've been very happily surprised with the development of both Besic and Galloway. Stones, Barkley, Lukaku all developing well as expected. Of the new signings Coric and Vallejo are pushing to be first-11 next season.

This summer will be a big deadwood sale. Pienaar, Gibson, Kone, and Robles will all go. Will possibly need 1-2 new young players in for numbers.

What mentality/team shape you playing with that? Tinkered with the player instructions at all?

What mentality/team shape you playing with that? Tinkered with the player instructions at all?

Playing Fluid, adjusting mentality as necessary.

No tinkering to PI's except for Howard who's set to distribute to centre-backs.

Vallejo, Stones, and Besic are BPD's when playing CB. Naismith, Mirallas are DLF/s when up front.

Any news on our prospects and how far they could go?

John Stones is potentially World Class, i play him as a first choice with Jagielka, since I would like to see him develop as soon as he can. He scored in five games 3 goals, from corners, and was solid defensively.

Ross Barkley is also excellent prospect, but injured at the start, havent played him yet.

My favorite is Jonjoe Kenny, I will try to develop him alongside Coleman, to see if he has it in the tank to be first choice. I am having "gut feeling" about this lad.

Nicely done Koki, was thinking of starting this as Swisso seems to be busy, but seeing i don't get the game till end of the month it was a bit pointless

Thank you very much. I plan to develop the thread even further with few interesting details, but waiting to complete first two seasons.

John Stones is potentially World Class, i play him as a first choice with Jagielka, since I would like to see him develop as soon as he can. He scored in five games 3 goals, from corners, and was solid defensively.

Ross Barkley is also excellent prospect, but injured at the start, havent played him yet.

My favorite is Jonjoe Kenny, I will try to develop him alongside Coleman, to see if he has it in the tank to be first choice. I am having "gut feeling" about this lad.

Indeed, hopefully some of the youth at the start will make the grade.

What was surprised me the most with Everton this year is how co-operative the board is! Kenwright has granted all of my requests (increase youth and training facilities, increase number of coaches allowed). The best thing, however, was that they agreed to sign Depay for me! Cost £12.25m and had a good debut in the first PL match of the season, a 3-0 home win vs Liverpool.

Really looking forward to this years save with Everton - I'm hoping to introduce the likes of Green, Kenny, Ledson and Galloway (probably the best behind Ledson, as he has 3.5* potential and 4.5* potential in black - currently tutored by Barry to get resolute characteristics) over the coming season or two. I'll make a longer soon when I finish the transfer window and play through a bit more.

I fancy a premiership career... think i'm going to start with you lot after watching last night's game and I like the look of the side right now..

Be warned.. I'll probably be getting rid of Barkley's injury... Can't be doing without him for so long .. sorry!

I fancy a premiership career... think i'm going to start with you lot after watching last night's game and I like the look of the side right now..

Be warned.. I'll probably be getting rid of Barkley's injury... Can't be doing without him for so long .. sorry!

He's only out for 2 months isn't he? you have Naisy :D

I don't have two months! I want him NOWWW ...

You are right of course, I may leave him then...

Yeah, you have Nessy, the Scottish Messi!!! He's had a well deserved boost this year.

Also sounds like Barkleys had a PA decrease (maybe because of said injury)

As a blue myself I had to make Everton my first save... plagued with injuries at the start of the season I've recovered splendidly and sit 1st after 19 games. My best player may come as a surprise but Arouna Kone has been superb and has kept Lukaku and Eto'o out of the team. dca0211f8cd557503e053fcdc5157f39.png

Only first team signing I've made has been Lucas Romero who has been superb as a roaming playmaker.

My preferred starting XI:

a84822f3c8690a1d3aad47203ebc76da.png

As a blue myself I had to make Everton my first save... plagued with injuries at the start of the season I've recovered splendidly and sit 1st after 19 games. My best player may come as a surprise but Arouna Kone has been superb and has kept Lukaku and Eto'o out of the team. dca0211f8cd557503e053fcdc5157f39.png

Only first team signing I've made has been Lucas Romero who has been superb as a roaming playmaker.

My preferred starting XI:

a84822f3c8690a1d3aad47203ebc76da.png

What other team instructions/player instructions you using mate?

Finished my first season, finished 7th, Utd was 8th and i was going to play against them at FA cup final, meaning if i lose it, i would not be qualifying for the euro cup!

FA cup final started with a 0-2 for united, however the game turned out to be 4-3 for everton, meaning a euro cup qualification through FA cup win!

Stones is immense this year, does not make a single mistake both at DR and ofcourse DC, excellent ball playing center back!

Green, Galloway, Ledson are all part of my plans for the upcoming season, so far i have brought Patrick Roberts for the next season + all the old deadwood are leaving.

My squad's average age was 27 last season, i plan to make it 22 for the upcoming season!

Lets hope for a CL spot this time!

btw, anybody had success with a new stadium? +how likely is this?

Finished first year, was 2nd for a long time but lost 4 on the bounce at the end and ended up 7th. Lost in Europa League semi 4-3 on agg (Deulofeu scored the decisive goal for Sevilla </3). Signed Vallejo, Balanta, Woodrow, Peruzzi, Tariq and Ajer and sold Osman, Mirallas(19m), Pienaar, McGeady.

Just sold Howard and signed Keylor Navas in summer 2015.

I've played four games

Newcastle 1-1

Man City L 3-0

Stoke City W 2-1

Swansea D 2-2

I didn't deserve a single point in any of those games, performance-wise I have been terrible and disappointed with team afterwards. I just don't know what to do to get us playing well. I use the 4-2-3-1 formation and depending on opponent and if home/away, I use different tactics. In play tactics are usually work ball into box and exploit flanks. If I'm honest I don't know which ones to use, I sometimes see my players doing things I don't want them to but I don't know how to change it. I've played the game since 1998 but never played the last few years, now it's really complexed and I just don't know where to begin

I tried to sign Romero but his agent wanted 9.8m and I only had 5m. I looked for an option to ask the board but I couldn't find one.

OK season 1 down... Finished 4th - was right in there with 3 games to go then lost 2 out of the last 3 and that was that... December and January cost me looking back 1 win in 6 with 5

defeats thrown in for good measure!

Highlights included a 5-1 away win at Chelsea, the double over the RS and United torn apart 3-0 at Goodison.

Never mind all that though... I won the Europa League - beating Atletico 2-0

I am using 4-4-3 Schemeserve Ins tactic (you'll find it in the tactic download forum) - High percentage of possession and lots of shots on goal - Lukaku was top scorer with 27, 19 in

the league... Very pleasing.

I brought in

Coric

Delle Ali

Jan

Balanta

Romero

All were very good

Out went all the dead wood

I fear for the second season - Jagielka, Baines, Mirallas, Stones & Lukaku all wanted by City, United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona... Stones told me he wants City move. We will

see.

In terms of recruitment - I have gone for some kids but I have had to pay big for them 4* scouted potential

Sold Mirallas for £47.5m (£40m upfront - £7.5m over 12 months) in the first season. Who should I sign with the money? Got over £200k p/w free in wages too.

Holy **** thats a lot of money!

I'm about to finish my second season(i'll write about my progress when the season is over) and Mirallas is now worth 35M euro's, nowhere near your value!

Holy **** thats a lot of money!

I'm about to finish my second season(i'll write about my progress when the season is over) and Mirallas is now worth 35M euro's, nowhere near your value!

worth €35mil thats a sell of €70mil I reckon

Ive now got Arsenal sniffing about McCarthy - Grrrr

3M8jiwrl.png

SUHVaH4l.png

Team shouts:

* Shorter Passing

* Work Ball Into Box

* Play Out Of Defence

* Push Higher Up

Summer in (£):

Jesús Vallejo - 1.1m

Ante Coric - 975k

Theo Bongonda - 6.25m

Gino Peruzzi - 3.5m

Summer out (£):

Alcaraz - 1.2m (Swansea)

Distin - 375k (Evian)

~ various loans

January In (£):

José Luis Gayá - 15m

Timo Horn - 3.8m

January Out (£):

6CxR1hbl.png

Mate, well done. I've struggled to get them working. I tried two tactics, including one similar to this one but the guys just wouldn't click.

Well done

Hi all,

Started a long-term game with Everton. I usually only have one save per version of FM and start with whatever club takes my fancy then go from there. Decided on Everton this year mainly due to the players and the way Martinez had them playing last year. There are a fair few good youngsters in Green, Ledson, Barkley etc to give a good platform for the next few years.

My main aim before the season started was to clear out some of the older players who I decided wouldn't have a long term future at Everton and replace them with some good young players, who with those already at the club, will form the backbone of Everton for the next 8-10 years.

transfers.jpg

Wasn't bothered really about losing Gibson (I am a Manchester Utd fan IRL, so don't really rate him as a player anyway) or Naismith. The money from their sale's have enabled me to bring in Balanta, Vallejo, Peruzzi etc. Could not afford to buy Neves outright so got him on loan with the hope that if I gave him enough game time and praise I could become a favoured personnel and therefore he might be easier to get in the next summer window. I have no idea how Moi Gomez is likely to turn out. I remember buying him a few versions ago and him being outstanding and just wondered if he might be the same this time round.

We have far exceeded my expectations to date.

table.jpg

I have no doubt it will all fall apart after Christmas, but it is good at the moment.

fixtures.jpg

Just the one defeat to West Brom in the league cup.

squad.jpg

Gradually easing Ross back into first team action, and with Valdes to be registered in the January transfer window the squad looks very capable of securing Champions League football.

Archived