Division winners by 21 points...,. without giving a single 'team talk'

Someone on my tactical thread has won his division by 21 points without giving a single pre-match team talk or half time team talk.

I'm not sure what to make of this?

Is this an example of an 'illusion of depth' where in fact there is none?

Where else in the game might this be going on?

I tend to only use a team talk at HT when I'm either drawing or losing.

Usually, this 'seems' to make my team score at least once in the 2nd half and usually I end up winning from it too.

The 'team talk' I give is one where I'm as angry as possible.

• Administrators
Someone on my tactical thread has won his division by 21 points without giving a single pre-match team talk or half time team talk.

They may have a much better team or tactic than everyone else. To be honest team talks only have a very slight effect on morale in-game, people put quite a lot of emphasis on them but simply put if your team has really bad morale, a few team talks won't make too much of a difference. Likewise is they're flying and confidence is high, the manager saying the wrong thing once in a while will make little difference.

Which begs the question why are they still in the game?

I know a lot of people find them boring and repetitive.

If you don't enjoy team talks you can get your assistant manager to do them.

I don't see the problem, it's entirely optional.

If you don't enjoy team talks you can get your assistant manager to do them.

I don't see the problem, it's entirely optional.

This. One of the best things about FM's additions every year is that they're largely optional. I virtually never gone through all that pre-game nonsense, team talks, press conferencess, etc.

I don't do that as he always makes a mess of them and I end up with a load of players unhappy with team talks.

not true. most of the time I just click to make assistant do them and usually he does it quite good. only time when I do them manualy is when i'm losing at HT.

Is he giving no team talks or is he letting the assistant manager do them?

There is a big difference.

Yeah it just shows how little an effect they actually have overall. Which is what people have been saying for years.

I would rather have it this way than have team talks/press conferences that have much too big an impact on performances, which is what I have found through the years.

I don't do that as he always makes a mess of them and I end up with a load of players unhappy with team talks.
not true. most of the time I just click to make assistant do them and usually he does it quite good. only time when I do them manualy is when i'm losing at HT.

Obviously your opinion would differ depending on the performance of your assistant

Look for an assistant with high "Motivation" and "Man Management". This returns quite good teamtalks.

On a side note: Why is the option "Pick up where you left off" only available in the assertive tone, but not in passionate?

They may have a much better team or tactic than everyone else. To be honest team talks only have a very slight effect on morale in-game, people put quite a lot of emphasis on them but simply put if your team has really bad morale, a few team talks won't make too much of a difference. Likewise is they're flying and confidence is high, the manager saying the wrong thing once in a while will make little difference.

Trust me, this isnt true. Ive said alright things to guys before and everyone kicks off like ive insulted their mums or something.

Trust me, this isnt true. Ive said alright things to guys before and everyone kicks off like ive insulted their mums or something.

Two things, one you haven't said alright things if that's the reaction, but more importantly (and the point Neil was making that you missed) - it doesn't matter if the players are unhappy if you still win. The team talks may affect 1-2% of your chances of winning compared to everything else involved, mostly player abilities and tactics, but also morale, weather, form, home advantage and a dozen other things.

Can't agree with team talks being unimportant. They can turn performances around quite dramatically, and on the occasions where I accidentally start matches without giving one, my team plays significantly worse. Of course, my "significantly worse" includes fairly normal things like "actually conceding a goal from open play", so ymmv...

Can't agree with team talks being unimportant. They can turn performances around quite dramatically, and on the occasions where I accidentally start matches without giving one, my team plays significantly worse. Of course, my "significantly worse" includes fairly normal things like "actually conceding a goal from open play", so ymmv...

I believe Mr.Brock's response wasn't an opinion that can be agreed or disagreed with, but more a statement of fact. I reckon he might just know a litttle bit more about this than you or me.........

didn't give a single team talk? Was it that or did he give them to his assistant? Not giving a team talk at all SHOULD simply cause havoc among st the players. Imagine a manager going into a dressing room and saying nothing or not even going into the dressing room. Can only imagine that there would be a big mix between angry, motivated and very little reaction depending on the players personality. A team talk should always happen in my opinion apart from the very rare occasion when things are going extremely bad and the manager wants to take a massive risk in showing the players how un-happy he is with the performance

In FM14, managing Greenock Morton, when my assman recommends a team talk and I select it, often NOTHING happens, no one reacts one way or another. The other times, I select the recommended option, and half the team get unmotivated. *sigh*.

Archived