Closed Thread
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,700 of 4173

Thread: A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

  1. #2601
    Tactics and Match Engine Moderator
    Join Date
    3rd December 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    Just a shame that the 'any colour so long as it's black' is a myth.
    The saying is attributed. The concept is not. Ford produced Model T's in black only from 1913-25 to reduce costs.


    The model T was available in several colours for the first few years of manufacture, but became available only in black from 1913 until 1927 when Ford stopped making it.
    Almost. He started producing it again in other colours from 1925-27 in an attempt to boost flagging sales.
    Last edited by wwfan; 20-09-2011 at 14:44.

  2. #2602
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    I highly doubt anyone is that impatient.
    You're having a laugh aren't you

    Have you not seen how impatient gamers get on release day! Most would sell their own grandmother to get to play the game an hour earlier.

  3. #2603
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Bladesman View Post
    I did a search about the effectiveness of switching to Steamworks on fighting this theft. No-one is going to give away hard numbers, obviously and unfortunately, amd there isn't much out there but I thought it might be interesting anyway.

    In a 2001 interview with PC Gamer, Valve's Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson said:

    That does point towards Steam being effective against software theft; Valve's idea is to offer the customer a service, to offer something more than one would get by simply stealing a game.
    I think the point is that releasing the game everywhere at the same time helps. If you dont do that people who want the game will just just download the pirate version and forget about buying the original when its actually released in their territory.

  4. #2604
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    I've always said there's nothing you can do to stop piracy. You can take steps to cut it down.

    But I've said all along that I don't think this route with Steam will help. But I'm willing to give Steam a go.

    Sega and SI seem to think it will help. In so much that they hope to double their sales by going this route.

    And this is something they have decided. If that's the decision based on doubling sales, I can't argue with them.

    They do refuse to release numbers, for various reasons. But I have no reason to doubt them.
    If steam doubles FM2012 sales I'll show my backside in dixons window.

    I have some magic beans, I'll post them to you, Just pay £30 quid into my bank will you. I assume, as you have no reason not to believe you will be rushing to your bank as we speak.

    The reason not believe both examples is common sense.

    Edit: and just for the record I have also stated I am willing to give steam ago. Although I'm peeved, I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

  5. #2605
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th March 2001
    Posts
    469

    Default

    I live in quite a remote area, and as I also use the most unreliable ISP (BT) my internet is down with frequency, once for 3 months. We also get people stealing copper phone cable quite regularly which takes a while to fix so it's been annoying for 2011. I didn't actually know you could use steam offline once a game is activated, that makes things much better.

  6. #2606
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Eugene. I agree...Give steam a go...yes...no problems...but please think of the portion of your customer who don't want or can't use steam....that is all I am asking anyway.
    Do you not think they thought about that already?

  7. #2607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    I have a general questions as I might have done something wrong.

    To test the waters with Steam I decided to activate FM2010 with them, I followed the install instructions after firing up the disk & was as expected re-directed to Steam to enter the activation code. I have now been pushed to a download manager which is installing the game via the Steam server rather than the disk.

    Is this how the system works? Have I missed an option that would allow the faster disk installation? I only ask because even with a 20 meg broadband connection & assuming I'm probably the only person downloading FM2010 the estimated time required is slightly over 10 minutes which makes me wonder how long the process would take a day or two after release.
    When I installed FM10 on Steam, it installed from disc, and then afterwards automatically went to the Steam download manager to download the latest patch. It could be doing that.

  8. #2608
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    If steam doubles FM2012 sales I'll show my backside in dixons window.

    I have some magic beans, I'll post them to you, Just pay £30 quid into my bank will you. I assume, as you have no reason not to believe you will be rushing to your bank as we speak.

    The reason not believe both examples is common sense.

    Edit: and just for the record I have also stated I am willing to give steam ago. Although I'm peeved, I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.
    It's said in the opening post. It's not me that's saying it I'm just reiterating what David from Sega said.

    I assume they did their market research and projections?

  9. #2609
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    A third party application that does not affect your Football Manager gaming experience.

    It's not a valid reason. Just because it's a 3rd party application and it has to be running.
    Do you just hate people who will not be able to play or be very inconvenienced. You really don't care do you. For some reason you just will not allow the idea that an OPTION might be nice for some people especially when the option will do no harm to the developers.

  10. #2610
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th October 2004
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Downloaded cracked versions of the game aren't the only form of Piracy?

    It's a bit harder to burn image copies of a CD and sell it at the local market when it's a Steam game.
    Why? Download the cracked game and put it on the cd. Voila. Steam games are no different than games protected with other systems. The only difference is that steam games are much easier to crack.

    Steam will do nothing to stop the piracy. The only thing its good for is that it mostly stops prereleases.

  11. #2611
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    It's said in the opening post. It's not me that's saying it I'm just reiterating what David from Sega said.

    I assume they did their market research and projections?
    I said on the last page why I believe the anti-piracy thing is not the main reason for this decision.

  12. #2612
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    Yeh, that's gang awry somewhere, should install from the disc.
    hmm, wonder where I went wrong, might have another go with FM2009 (if that's still an option), really don't want to have t resort trying it with FM2011.

    Will have to work it otherwise I won't be able to fix those little nation related issues.

    Edit: Sussed out where I went wrong, very easy mistake to make considering I went for the +add Games icon in the bottom right of the Steam Window. Lesson taken away is that Steam needs to be running & online before I fire up the disc.
    Last edited by Barside; 20-09-2011 at 15:14.

  13. #2613
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_no_7 View Post
    SI, just get rid of the need for us to keep Steam after activation. That's what most are annoyed about!
    I think that's not possible! technically i mean.

    If you get activation with steam, their system needs to be always loaded in order to do the job. So what you are asking... it's not possible.

  14. #2614
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Do you just hate people who will not be able to play or be very inconvenienced. You really don't care do you. For some reason you just will not allow the idea that an OPTION might be nice for some people especially when the option will do no harm to the developers.
    How do you know it won't harm the developers? They've taken this stance because their current model is harming their developers.

  15. #2615
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Do you just hate people who will not be able to play or be very inconvenienced. You really don't care do you. For some reason you just will not allow the idea that an OPTION might be nice for some people especially when the option will do no harm to the developers.
    I don't hate anyone. I just don't understand moaning about something that doesn't impact your ability to play the game.

  16. #2616
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I think it's acceptable that having a home internet connection is a minimum requirement.
    Of course you do, and I'm glad you're alright Jack.

  17. #2617
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    27,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakobx View Post
    The only thing its good for is that it mostly stops prereleases.
    Well done that man, Miles already said this but people can't see for looking sometimes

  18. #2618
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Nobody has said it will stop it, wish people would stop saying that.
    Because once you do not have the piracy argument there is no reason to not allow other options. People are still using the piracy argument so I keep refuting it

  19. #2619
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Of course you do, and I'm glad you're alright Jack.
    I bet you're mad that shops don't sell the latest charts on vinyl any more too?

  20. #2620
    Amateur
    Join Date
    16th June 2005
    Location
    lowerleaguemanager.com
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    With that in mind, then SI should never developed the 3D match engine, because their are users that dont have a PC with the requirements to play the game in 3D?
    Bad example...The 2D and Commentary Only options are still available for those who own PC that cannot handle 3D. There is no similar option for those who cannot/will not use Steam.

  21. #2621
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Because once you do not have the piracy argument there is no reason to not allow other options. People are still using the piracy argument so I keep refuting it
    You can't refute that it impacts piracy. You can refute that it won't stop it entirely (which nobody is saying), but you can't refute that it doesn't have an impact at all.

  22. #2622
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    There are so many hacking experts on these forums, i had no idea this was the case, damm SI are in trouble...............................

  23. #2623
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jptykes View Post
    Bad example...The 2D and Commentary Only options are still available for those who own PC that cannot handle 3D. There is no similar option for those who cannot/will not use Steam.
    The system minimum requirements have changed, should they never have changed thus excluding people who still have 10 year old PCs?

  24. #2624
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I don't hate anyone. I just don't understand moaning about something that doesn't impact your ability to play the game.
    Oh my god...you are causing me to bite my tongue...how can you say that...how do you know everyone's situation?????..it does affect SOME peoples ability to play the game.

  25. #2625
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I bet you're mad that shops don't sell the latest charts on vinyl any more too?
    my dad still cries over his betamax collection so i can sympathize..........

  26. #2626
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katarian View Post
    They aren't the best argument against the use of Steam as you posted, as they clearly use Steam and like it otherwise they wouldn't use it. Yes you aren't forced to use Steam, and I have never used Steam for any of their games because Steam prices are a ripoff outside of sales. If Steam is so amazing awful as DRM and doesn't offer advantages then surely Paradox would not use them at all. The very fact that they use it as well as providing DRM free versions shows that Steam is the best alternative to selling DRM free software.
    No, it is just another outlet.

  27. #2627
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    You can't refute that it impacts piracy. You can refute that it won't stop it entirely (which nobody is saying), but you can't refute that it doesn't have an impact at all.
    Yes, I can. I guess you have not searched for any game released in 2011 so far. It has been pirated.

  28. #2628
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Oh my god...you are causing me to bite my tongue...how can you say that...how do you know everyone's situation?????..it does affect SOME peoples ability to play the game.
    It affects people with no internet connection.

    Who else does it affect?

  29. #2629
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Yes, I can
    No you can't. Not without evidence.

  30. #2630
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    I think that's not possible! technically i mean.

    If you get activation with steam, their system needs to be always loaded in order to do the job. So what you are asking... it's not possible.
    This begs the question, Why choose steam?. I still don't understand the reason behind it.

    Are steam better at anti-piracy than anyone else? General consensus says no.

    Are you risking alienating long term customers with this decision? Yes.

    Are there other anti-piracy measures that are available where you don't have to keep an online store's software on your machine forever to play your game? Yes.

    So, Why steam? Am I missing something? I'm curious as much as anything because I've already openly said I'll still be buying it.

    All I've read from SI is, "steam is better than it used to be" & "We are using Steam's online registry to combat piracy".

    The only sensible conclusion is what I said on the last page.

  31. #2631
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jptykes View Post
    Bad example...The 2D and Commentary Only options are still available for those who own PC that cannot handle 3D. There is no similar option for those who cannot/will not use Steam.
    Ok, i'll give you another....

    With that in mind, then SI should never evolded the game. In fact FM2012 should be the same as CM03/04, apart from the data update. That way, we still could play the game with our old PC's!

    Things change, and people cannot criticize SI for manking mandatory an internet conextion to activate the game! In a couple of years you probably must have a internet conexion in order to PLAY the game.

    Thing changes, evolved... same with computer games! Ad if you want the continue playing them you (or your PC, MAC) mus evolved as well!

  32. #2632
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    This begs the question, Why choose steam?. I still don't understand the reason behind it.

    Are steam better at anti-piracy than anyone else? General consensus says no.

    Are you risking alienating long term customers with this decision? Yes.

    Are there other anti-piracy measures that are available where you don't have to keep an online store's software on your machine forever to play your game? Yes.

    So, Why steam? Am I missing something? I'm curious as much as anything because I've already openly said I'll still be buying it.

    All I've read from SI is, "steam is better than it used to be" & "We are using Steam's online registry to combat piracy".

    The only sensible conclusion is what I said on the last page.
    Where you here for FM09's release? The non-steam activation software caused threads 20 times longer than this one (and not with the same 5 people going round in circles)

  33. #2633
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    This begs the question, Why choose steam?. I still don't understand the reason behind it.

    Are steam better at anti-piracy than anyone else? General consensus says no.

    Are you risking alienating long term customers with this decision? Yes.

    Are there other anti-piracy measures that are available where you don't have to keep an online store's software on your machine forever to play your game? Yes.

    So, Why steam? Am I missing something? I'm curious as much as anything because I've already openly said I'll still be buying it.

    All I've read from SI is, "steam is better than it used to be" & "We are using Steam's online registry to combat piracy".

    The only sensible conclusion is what I said on the last page.
    it would appear so, i will re-post what Miles said.

    I was planning on responding to this thread yesterday afternoon, but whilst on the way to the studio I was involved in a car crash (no one hurt, which is good) and was a bit shaken up, so not the time for me to be replying in the calm manner that I wanted to to this thread.

    This was always going to be an emotive subject. Any form of copy protection is. There's no conspiracy theory about SEGA posting about it though - they normally do so, as it's a publishing thing, not a development thing. It is their job to come up with recommendations in this area, but we were consulted about the various options available. This is by far and away the best one that was presented to us, from a user perspective, a business perspective and a protection perspective.

    No one from SEGA or SI would say that using the system that we are means that the game will not be cracked at some point. It's bound to be. But with the exception of FM2009, every version of FM has been available to pirate before the retail release. During that few days, every year, retail see pre-orders being cancelled. Every year retail see pre-orders not being collected, even those with "free gifts" and where deposits have been paid. If it can be made that those people who legitimately buy our games this year get to play it before those that are pirating, that will be a good thing. If it can be that way for a few months, weeks, or even days, after that release, we do believe it will make a big difference.

    We are also not saying that we believe that if the game isn't cracked, all of those previous pirates will buy it. I do not believe that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale. The vast majority of people who pirate it won't pay the money for it, certainly not at launch. But I do believe that a proportion of them will do. And those extra sales, for however long the game can be protected, will lead to an increase in dev budgets, and therefore better, or more, games for all.

    Dave gave some stats out earlier which were slightly inaccurate. It's not the case that there are 3 people playing pirated copies of FM for every 1 legitimate customer - there are more than 4 people playing pirated copies of FM for every legitimate customer. And to the question on whether that takes into account people who have bought who play with CD cracks, it doesn't matter, as even if every single person who bought FM played with a CD crack, there would still be 3 people playing pirated versions for each 1 legitimate customer who has decided to install a 3rd party, illegal in the majority of countries, CD crack.

    There are people claiming on here that the reason for doing this is just to kill the second hand market. That's simply not true - it didn't even come into the conversation when discussing protection for this year. According to the licensing agreement for the game, whether you've read it or not, it's against the license to re-sell the game. As it is for the vast majority of PC games. The vast majority of retailers who deal in second hand games do not trade in PC games, whatever the protection is. And the replayability factor of FM is huge, so second hand isn't something that has affected us in a major way at all.

    One big thing that was taken into account when looking at the various systems available was how many people, given the choice with FM11 of whether to install the game via Steam or without Steam, chose to install via Steam. The results surprised me, with the majority of people deciding to install through Steam.

    There've been questions about what I think of the reaction, given that it's 17 pages so far. Well, obviously I'm disappointed when anyone says they aren't going to buy our next release, and I doubt there's anything that I'll be saying here that will appease those people. But the reality is that those being negative in the 17 pages are mainly the same people - about 50 in total. The negative reaction from a few people is very similar to that when Total War announced that they were going down this route. And when Civ went down this route. I'm sure both Creative Assembly and Firaxis were just as disappointed to be losing some long term customers as I am - but that doesn't change the decision that has been made, nor change my belief that from the options we had, it's the best one for all.

    We will, continuously, look for other ways to provide our games to people as long as it doesn't compromise the security that is needed. I've been vocal about how I really like the OnLive system, for example, and this is something we'll continue to investigate. That does require you to register, though, and does require an internet connection permanently to play, so certainly won't suit all if we do go down that route.

    There've been many posts about the problem being the installation of third party software on your machine, but that's just a part of life when it comes to PC games. Whether that be Direct X, graphics drivers, Windows/MacOS, font rendering technology, web browsing tech or other middleware, anytime you install a game, or application on your computer, you require third party software.

    People have also asked "what about those who don't have an internet connection". When we had activation for FM2009 which was done both online and via telephone, less than 4% of people, globally, chose to use the telephone route. Some of these people had a net connection, but didn't want to authenticate that way (as per the huge threads at that time). So, again whilst it's disappointing that some people genuinely don't have a net connection and might miss out, this was taken into account with the overall decision, and there wasn't an option presented to me by SEGA this year that didn't involve purely online activation.

    There has also been talk about other PC titles on here that will get your money instead. I've seen the following being mentioned so far (apologies if I've missed any) - Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa Manager, FIFA, Batman & Rage. Battlefield, FIFA Manager & FIFA on PC will all require EA's online system, called Origin, and for you to register with them. Rage is Steamworks, as we are. Call of Duty uses Activision's new online system. I do not know about Batman's authentication method, or whether it has one.

    You've asked how we're letting people know about this. Well, apart from the forum thread, there was a mailshot on Friday to hundreds of thousands of our registered customers to let them know about it, as well as telling them about the blogs and the release date. Since then, pre-orders have gone up massively with our pre-order position at Amazon in the UK (for example) going up from the mid 20's into the top 10, peaking at 5 and currently at 7, which is way higher than we normally are at this time of year. There will also be, front of pack in between the SI logo and the age rating, in big letters, the words "requires internet connection to activate", which was insisted upon by me for us to be able to go ahead with this. I will be chasing SEGA first thing on Monday to ensure that all retailers who have packshots online switch to the final packshot, rather than the one they are currently using.

    I, like many of the people who aren't happy with the decision, am also a very principled person. There are certain chains that I don't eat at. There's even a local sandwich shop that I won't go to anymore as they wouldn't change the bun on a sandwich I wanted (the original had sesame seeds on them, and I have a nut allergy) when they'd done so dozens of times in the past. I am well aware that some people will not buy the game purely on principle because we have gone Steam only this year and, as I said above, I'm very disappointed by that. Despite my own principles though, I fully understand and support the decision that has been made, given the options presented.

    I also think that Steam itself is fantastic. I have more than 80 games on my account. They are massively helpful at every turn to help us get the game integrated with their features, like achievements, and allowing people with PC's & Mac's to be able to play games on both systems. SEGA's customer support team will be on hand if anyone does have an issue, as always, on top of Steam's support.

    So, that's my opinion on the 17 pages that I've read so far. As I said, it's not going to appease all those who are anti, as some of those who are anti will only be happy if the decision is reversed, and it isn't going to be. Hopefully, though, some of the points I've made will appease some of you.

    There are 2 questions that I haven't been able to answer that I do think need answering, which are how do people in countries where the game isn't sold play, and what about people in the forces who don't have net connections. Those are things for SEGA to look into, and I would hope that they would get back to you on those.

  34. #2634
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Because once you do not have the piracy argument there is no reason to not allow other options. People are still using the piracy argument so I keep refuting it
    Just because piracy probably won't be stopped doesn't mean that SI/Sega shouldn't be trying to find a resolution to minimize their loss of sales from piracy. They have to protect their product from being stolen in the best interests of the future of the company so they can continue to make games like FM for the public to enjoy.

    I'm not saying if this decision will be 'right'. The sales when it's released will speak for themselves.

  35. #2635
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    It affects people with no internet connection.

    Who else does it affect?
    There you go. You just said who it affects. And my situation where I used to hand out 20 copies a year to rural kids here in Asia rewards for outstanding school work so that they play something other than FIFA has been compromised.

  36. #2636
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th May 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex PSN: trumanator7
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the blue ferret View Post
    I live in quite a remote area, and as I also use the most unreliable ISP (BT) my internet is down with frequency, once for 3 months. We also get people stealing copper phone cable quite regularly which takes a while to fix so it's been annoying for 2011. I didn't actually know you could use steam offline once a game is activated, that makes things much better.
    Its interesting that a few people are seemingly converting to the pro-steam/not bothered side, while nobody seems convinced by any of the anti-steam arguments.

  37. #2637
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    The just of this thread seems to be saying that, pirating can never be stopped so why bother trying, if we are to go down the wonderful path of analogies, why dont they just do away with the police? Your never going to stop crime, so why bother, why not just educate people when they are young and put faith and trust that they wont break the law? People who are inclined towards crime are going to commit them whether we have police or not, so why waste money trying to stop them when they could spend money improving our nation and education and most importantly, poverty? Forcing people to follow laws are just pushing them to do something illegal, because hey, we should have an unlimited number of choices in the world.

    Also another thought, i would sincerely hope that every single one of these "loyal" customers are active in shopping any torrent of FM they come across on the net, as a "loyal" customer surely should be appalled to see FM being available for free. A lot of people on here who are against steam seem to have good knowledge on stealing the game, so it cant be that hard for them to track down a torrent on release day and email SI, SEGA or Miles directly with a link. I would hope these "loyal" customers would also shop anyone they knew using a pirate copy of FM, again they should be outraged at this happening, not condoning it.

    Its just a thought really.
    Brilliant. Couldn't read any more of your post because of the tears in my eyes.

  38. #2638
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th May 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex PSN: trumanator7
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    There you go. You just said who it affects. And my situation where I used to hand out 20 copies a year to rural kids here in Asia rewards for outstanding school work so that they play something other than FIFA has been compromised.
    Give them another game maybe?

  39. #2639
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Where you here for FM09's release? The non-steam activation software caused threads 20 times longer than this one (and not with the same 5 people going round in circles)
    If that is the reason then fair enough, IF steam is the best on the market then it's a good decision. IF it actually reduces piracy more than it alienates "valued" long time consumers.

  40. #2640
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    No you can't. Not without evidence.
    I notice you ignored the part about all games being pirated in 2011. Of course I can give you evidence. I will not post links to pirate forums here. I think you can use a search engine.

  41. #2641
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Brilliant. Couldn't read any more of your post because of the tears in my eyes.
    I'm glad your still paying attention

  42. #2642
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    This begs the question, Why choose steam?. I still don't understand the reason behind it.

    Are steam better at anti-piracy than anyone else? General consensus says no.

    Are you risking alienating long term customers with this decision? Yes.

    Are there other anti-piracy measures that are available where you don't have to keep an online store's software on your machine forever to play your game? Yes.

    So, Why steam? Am I missing something? I'm curious as much as anything because I've already openly said I'll still be buying it.

    All I've read from SI is, "steam is better than it used to be" & "We are using Steam's online registry to combat piracy".

    The only sensible conclusion is what I said on the last page.
    Why steam? I dont know! perhaps they offer the best deal to SI/SEGA. Thats their decision...

    Do you question them when the say you need 1Gb ram to play the game? Or that you need directx 9.0?

    In this version they..."hey, you need steam to play the game"! Perhaps in FM2013 they will say something else!

  43. #2643
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th October 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    Paradox are trying the route, only time will tell if they have been successful or not, as you lot have painstakingly pointed out, it would be very difficult to prove the sales were gained because of no DRM or because of increased interest, much like it would be very hard to tell sales have increased because of DRM directly. People are not going to rush to buy games, especially not the games Paradox make because they dont have DRM, Paradox are a growing games company, if theird sales were not going up they would be rightly very worried. I have spent the best part of the last hour reading a lot on what they have to say for it all, and nothing says they have directly linked an increase in sales because of no DRM, now if a company like EA or someone similar posted info that backs that up i would be on your guys side right away. It strikes me as funny that the only company really giving this a go is one that makes games EVEN more specialized than FM that your average joe game player will not go near, the last thing they need is to limit anything.
    paradox have been around since 1998 so I'd suggest their stratergy has been fairly successful. They also launched gamersgate which is where i buy games online as its cheap and best of all CLIENT FREE. Yes their games are specialised but their success is down to giving their customers want they want.
    Last edited by greenone; 20-09-2011 at 15:08.

  44. #2644
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afced7 View Post
    Give them another game maybe?
    Acfed...yes I will mate....But there was something cool about giving them a football game that allowed them to get an understanding of football rather than just booting a ball around the park....anyone...I really didn't want to use the personal example because I still not seen any reason not to offer an alternative.

    Other companies offer alternatives.
    The game will still be cracked and shared
    Some people cant use Steam for whatever reason.

    It just seems unjustifiable to me...but not to others I can see. Why they would care if there was an option, I have no idea!!
    Last edited by aaron70; 20-09-2011 at 15:09.

  45. #2645
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    I notice you ignored the part about all games being pirated in 2011. Of course I can give you evidence. I will not post links to pirate forums here. I think you can use a search engine.
    A game that has been released being cracked at some point isn't evidence that anti-piracy methods don't have any impact on the number of copies pirated or the number of sales made.

  46. #2646
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Having to validate a game through Steam is hardly a big expense is it. It's not like we've missed out on a developed feature as a result.
    Was it coded by magic?

  47. #2647
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    Why steam? I dont know! perhaps they offer the best deal to SI/SEGA. Thats their decision...

    Do you question them when the say you need 1Gb ram to play the game? Or that you need directx 9.0?

    In this version they..."hey, you need steam to play the game"! Perhaps in FM2013 they will say something else!
    My apologies, let me add an extra word, Why exclusively steam?

  48. #2648
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenone View Post
    paradox have been around since 1998 so I'd suggest their stratergy has been fairly successful. They also launched gamersgate which is where i buy games online as its cheap and best of all CLIENT FREE. Yes their games are specialised but their success is down to giving their customers want they want.
    Have paradox released a game that sells on the scale of FM?

  49. #2649
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Was it coded by magic?
    Probably a days work for a temp on minimum wage.

  50. #2650
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    My apologies, let me add an extra word, Why exclusively steam?
    Because id it wasnt exclusively... the deal was not as good!

    serious... i think it would be more confusing if we had more than one method to activate the game!

  51. #2651
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Have paradox released a game that sells on the scale of FM?
    They have about 10 big selling games which would come up to FM or beyond, Victoria, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc... They are not a one game company.

  52. #2652
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    I think people that aren't convinced by what going through Steam meant for SI and Sega should reread Miles post quoted here

    http://community.sigames.com/showthr...=1#post7092616

    After they announced the game was announced via Steam only, it went up in pre-order sales.

    Where he says previously that pre-order sales for previous FM games were cancelled.


    Going through Steam seems to have reversed the effect and boosted sales so far.

  53. #2653
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Have paradox released a game that sells on the scale of FM?
    No Paradox release very very specialized games that require a ton of throught an effort, they are not games your average gamer picks up because there is no DRM, they will have made their choice based on the fact they have a much smaller pool of fans. Hats off to them like, but its a different situation.

  54. #2654
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    People have been whinging about "what happens to steam if it goes down and I have to wait 3 days".

    (very broad analogy)
    Payed £30 - wait three days.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    Seemingly they are willing to wait 3 days for a pirated version, rather than 3 days to get a legitimate copy of FM up and running through Steam?

    (very broad analogy)
    Payed £0 - wait three days.

    Simple.

  55. #2655
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    They have about 10 big selling games which would come up to FM or beyond, Victoria, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc... They are not a one game company.
    So their challenges and methods aren't comparable to SI's?

  56. #2656
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Just found out...

    FM2012 in Spain: 29,99€

    FM2012 in Portugal: 49,99€

    ****!:mad:

  57. #2657
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    Because id it wasnt exclusively... the deal was not as good!

    serious... i think it would be more confusing if we had more than one method to activate the game!
    The top bit should be the serious bit. Which is what I was getting at on the last page when I posted:

    *My opinion only disclaimer here*
    1. SEGA/SI want some kind of registry in an attempt to combat piracy, but they want it to be financially relatively low risk.
    2. Steam offer it for free on the condition that all users have to download & be logged into steam at all times while playing (increasing traffic and therefore sales).
    3. SEGA/SI realise this is the best option for them and they have a LOYAL (can't think of a better word) and die hard fan base, and a near monopoly on the genre of PC management sims, therefore can afford to force steam on their customers. Leaving their customers only 2 choices, do what your told or don't play FM. This is why I'm peeved.

    Which is why I'm a bit peeved with the decision.

  58. #2658
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    Just found out...

    FM2012 in Spain: 29,99€

    FM2012 in Portugal: 49,99€

    ****!:mad:
    Hop over the border?

  59. #2659
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    Brilliant. Couldn't read any more of your post because of the tears in my eyes.
    So I reckon Sega using Steam as a method to deter people from pirating FM has absolutely nothing in common with the government using the presence of police to deter people from committing crime?

  60. #2660
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th May 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex PSN: trumanator7
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    Just found out...

    FM2012 in Spain: 29,99€

    FM2012 in Portugal: 49,99€

    ****!:mad:
    Yeah this is one thing I don't agree with when it comes to Steam, the massively different prices across the world. It does't affect me living in England but I can't see how its fair that people who live in another country have to pay more than me for the same product.

  61. #2661
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    The top bit should be the serious bit. Which is what I was getting at on the last page when I posted:

    *My opinion only disclaimer here*
    1. SEGA/SI want some kind of registry in an attempt to combat piracy, but they want it to be financially relatively low risk.
    2. Steam offer it for free on the condition that all users have to download & be logged into steam at all times while playing (increasing traffic and therefore sales).
    3. SEGA/SI realise this is the best option for them and they have a LOYAL (can't think of a better word) and die hard fan base, and a near monopoly on the genre of PC management sims, therefore can afford to force steam on their customers. Leaving their customers only 2 choices, do what your told or don't play FM. This is why I'm peeved.

    Which is why I'm a bit peeved with the decision.
    But why you get mad at this? Ultimate it's a decision that bennefit SI, witch means... SI will continue to have the resources to make the game!

  62. #2662
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th October 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Have paradox released a game that sells on the scale of FM?
    Probably not, but they are not a one game company like SI and they also publish others developers games.

  63. #2663
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    A game that has been released being cracked at some point isn't evidence that anti-piracy methods don't have any impact on the number of copies pirated or the number of sales made.
    One cracked game is all that is needed...boy oh boy.. Repeat: One cracked game gets sent all over the web...it gets burnt to CDs....How has the anti-piracy method stopped this. There are forums you can search right now for any game you want...why are you stubborn about this??? I mean seriously are you thinking about your argument. One cracked game = 10000's of games!!!

  64. #2664
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afced7 View Post
    Yeah this is one thing I don't agree with when it comes to Steam, the massively different prices across the world. It does't affect me living in England but I can't see how its fair that people who live in another country have to pay more than me for the same product.
    This is not steam prices! This is retail prices for the pre-order!

  65. #2665
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    3. SEGA/SI realise this is the best option for them and they have a LOYAL (can't think of a better word) and die hard fan base, and a near monopoly on the genre of PC management sims, therefore can afford to force steam on their customers. Leaving their customers only 2 choices, do what your told or don't play FM. This is why I'm peeved.
    if they are "loyal" and "die Hard", then surely they just buy the game anyway?

  66. #2666
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th May 2009
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex PSN: trumanator7
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    This is not steam prices! This is retail prices for the pre-order!
    Oh... well yeah that's obviously unfair too, although I can think of a few reasons why SEGA/SI may have done this.

  67. #2667
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    if they are "loyal" and "die Hard", then surely they just buy the game anyway?
    Not much point if they can't play it and it seems that so many here think "tough luck". So while we have one side saying Okay..Steam...fine...and an alternative please...we have the other side saying....nope..Steam only and hahaha to the rest......sums it up I think....Have a good night

  68. #2668
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    Just found out...

    FM2012 in Spain: 29,99€

    FM2012 in Portugal: 49,99€

    ****!:mad:
    The North American region of Steam sell FM12 for USD$39.99. And since the Canadian dollar is slightly better than US dollar, I pay 20 cents less than that..

  69. #2669
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afced7 View Post
    Oh... well yeah that's obviously unfair too, although I can think of a few reasons why SEGA/SI may have done this.
    I think its not SI/SEGA that decide the selling prices.

  70. #2670
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    Not much point if they can't play it and it seems that so many here think "tough luck". So while we have one side saying Okay..Steam...fine...and an alternative please...we have the other side saying....nope..Steam only and hahaha to the rest......sums it up I think....Have a good night
    Hmm well lets look at the stats that the only person in the position to provide gave us, in 2009 FM had a non internet based activation. Globally less than 4% of people used this, now 2 years forward the net is even more widely and freely available, its safe to say some of those 4% now have access. They are hardly cutting off a large portion of their fan base.

  71. #2671
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afced7 View Post
    Oh... well yeah that's obviously unfair too, although I can think of a few reasons why SEGA/SI may have done this.
    SEGA/SI don't have final say on retail prices (as well as the price on Steam).

  72. #2672
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    2nd October 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    I do think there must be some way SI or Sega can help those loyal fans of god knows how many years by providing some way of activation if you have no net. My mate won't be able to play the only game he loves due to having no net and he isn't gonna get internet at his house just for a one off activation for a game, There must be a way or something they can do, Either by giving me some code to give to him, I'm sure in this day of technology something can be done, I always support SI and Sega has FM is my main game I play and I buy it every year but it does feel like my mates getting a kick in.

  73. #2673
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    So I reckon Sega using Steam as a method to deter people from pirating FM has absolutely nothing in common with the government using the presence of police to deter people from committing crime?
    Its a far out analogy ill give him that, but it does hold some water, DRM is basically game police, easy to avoid if you want too, but its the law. People who commit crimes will never be put off by police, just like hackers wont be put off by DRM.

  74. #2674
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    2nd August 2009
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    One cracked game is all that is needed...boy oh boy.. Repeat: One cracked game gets sent all over the web...it gets burnt to CDs....How has the anti-piracy method stopped this. There are forums you can search right now for any game you want...why are you stubborn about this??? I mean seriously are you thinking about your argument. One cracked game = 10000's of games!!!
    Who cares if there's 1000's of games? Don't steal them.

    If anti-piracy wasn't working then they wouldn't bother with it. But they seem to be bothered with doing it because they know it works.

  75. #2675
    Amateur
    Join Date
    4th January 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    With that in mind, then SI should never developed the 3D match engine, because their are users that dont have a PC with the requirements to play the game in 3D?
    Games companys made games that need certain requirements. It's up to the potential users to see if they have the right hardware to play those games. That not of any concern of the game company if you dont have internet.

    When FM2009 was released my PC could match the requirements to play the game in 3D. Should i blame SI for that? If i what to play the game... buy a new PC (or upgrade).

    But in yout case, you dont even need to do that. Go to your sisters house and activate the game there. they play it with steam in offline mode!
    But I would then need to take my pc there, would I not?
    In recent history I had Steam on my computer but deleted it as I could not play games as it wouldn't allow me into offline mode. The system does not allow you to change settings to offline mode once you are already offline. You have to change it to offline before leaving online mode.
    At least when they implemented 3D engine, you still have the ability to play in 2D. I have a computer capable of 3D but I dont use it all the time. I actually only use it when playing what I call major games (ie cup finals, title deciders etc).
    Yes, every so often I look to upgrade my tower to newer components, but that doesn't dampen my chances of playing games. Having to access the internet, it does.
    I can not install the game at my sisters using her computer then suddenly able to play on my computer. Otherwise if that was the case, I'd buy the game and then distribute to everyone I know and make money myself (something I would not do, but using as an argument).. It is not that simple.
    I can not use my sisters internet to register.

    And response to someones suggestion about using BTOpenworld. I have tried to use it in the past, but to have access to it, you must be within range of someone that has BT wireless and is capable of sending out a signal or within a beacon to receive directly from BT. I don't have either. I live in a block of flats where SKY is the dominant provider for the occupants. Sky do not have that option.

  76. #2676
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    One cracked game is all that is needed...boy oh boy.. Repeat: One cracked game gets sent all over the web...it gets burnt to CDs....How has the anti-piracy method stopped this. There are forums you can search right now for any game you want...why are you stubborn about this??? I mean seriously are you thinking about your argument. One cracked game = 10000's of games!!!
    Every game in the PC top 10 has either a website you have to register on, 3rd party software running or both. All as anti-piracy methods.

    Is every single big developer wrong? And you're the one to point out to them that they're wrong?


  77. #2677
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    Its a far out analogy ill give him that, but it does hold some water, DRM is basically game police, easy to avoid if you want too, but its the law. People who commit crimes will never be put off by police, just like hackers wont be put off by DRM.
    I understand your extreme analogy milnerpoint. I was just hoping that others would. I was attempting to write my post in a manner that would make it easier for others to understand and draw parallels between the two.

  78. #2678
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladbroke View Post
    But I would then need to take my pc there, would I not?
    In recent history I had Steam on my computer but deleted it as I could not play games as it wouldn't allow me into offline mode. The system does not allow you to change settings to offline mode once you are already offline. You have to change it to offline before leaving online mode.
    At least when they implemented 3D engine, you still have the ability to play in 2D. I have a computer capable of 3D but I dont use it all the time. I actually only use it when playing what I call major games (ie cup finals, title deciders etc).
    Yes, every so often I look to upgrade my tower to newer components, but that doesn't dampen my chances of playing games. Having to access the internet, it does.
    I can not install the game at my sisters using her computer then suddenly able to play on my computer. Otherwise if that was the case, I'd buy the game and then distribute to everyone I know and make money myself (something I would not do, but using as an argument).. It is not that simple.
    I can not use my sisters internet to register.

    And response to someones suggestion about using BTOpenworld. I have tried to use it in the past, but to have access to it, you must be within range of someone that has BT wireless and is capable of sending out a signal or within a beacon to receive directly from BT. I don't have either. I live in a block of flats where SKY is the dominant provider for the occupants. Sky do not have that option.
    Sorry, i was thinking in terms of a laptop.

  79. #2679
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladbroke View Post
    And response to someones suggestion about using BTOpenworld. I have tried to use it in the past, but to have access to it, you must be within range of someone that has BT wireless and is capable of sending out a signal or within a beacon to receive directly from BT. I don't have either. I live in a block of flats where SKY is the dominant provider for the occupants. Sky do not have that option.
    If you have a phone line you can buy a modem and dial up a free ISP which will give you limited 56k access.

    Or consider a pay as you go wireless USB dongle?

  80. #2680
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    I understand your extreme analogy milnerpoint. I was just hoping that others would. I was attempting to write my post in a manner that would make it easier for others to understand and draw parallels between the two.
    It would appear the general thought is theft is ok, under certain circumstances because SI have given people no choice but to steal. I think it stands tho, why bother policing anything at all, people have broken practically every law there is to break, do these people stop doing what they do if you take away the laws? With the same thought do people stop stealing games if there is no DRM?

  81. #2681
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Every game in the PC top 10 has either a website you have to register on, 3rd party software running or both. All as anti-piracy methods.

    Is every single big developer wrong? And you're the one to point out to them that they're wrong?

    A Brick Wall......good on them for trying...sigh.... doesn't mean the games are not already pirated....the only reason I say that piracy is not a valid reason to offer other alternatives is because all of these games can be downloaded now for free....Have I ever said it is not worth trying? ......why do you seem to think that if there is an alternative offered it can't have DRM or some purchase method...how about a phone in system........if as you say the numbers a re so small.......then a phone in system or similar would be easy ....severely stubborn selfish people. One day when you have a problem with being able to play a game, let's see ten.

    You seem so determined that Sega not offer anything for the people who need something. Why? Heavens knows...It would ruin your day I guess . I really feel sad knowing about the attitude of people here...selfish.

  82. #2682
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Every game in the PC top 10 has either a website you have to register on, 3rd party software running or both. All as anti-piracy methods.

    Is every single big developer wrong? And you're the one to point out to them that they're wrong?

    no but remember Paradox, who i bet most people had no heard of until this thread, are the only way forward, topping the selling charts and beating everyone else...............

  83. #2683
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    A Brick Wall......good on them for trying...sigh.... doesn't mean the games are not already pirated....the only reason I say that piracy is not a valid reason to offer other alternatives is because all of these games can be downloaded now for free....Have I ever said it is not worth trying? ......why do you seem to think that if there is an alternative offered it can't have DRM or some purchase method...how about a phone in system........if as you say the numbers a re so small.......then a phone in system or similar would be easy ....severely stubborn selfish people. One day when you have a problem with being able to play a game, let's see ten.

    You seem so determined that Sega not offer anything for the people who need something. Why? Heavens knows...It would ruin your day I guess . I really feel sad knowing about the attitude of people here...selfish.
    They did the phone system, no one used it. You must have missed Miles post, ill re-post it for a second time

    I was planning on responding to this thread yesterday afternoon, but whilst on the way to the studio I was involved in a car crash (no one hurt, which is good) and was a bit shaken up, so not the time for me to be replying in the calm manner that I wanted to to this thread.

    This was always going to be an emotive subject. Any form of copy protection is. There's no conspiracy theory about SEGA posting about it though - they normally do so, as it's a publishing thing, not a development thing. It is their job to come up with recommendations in this area, but we were consulted about the various options available. This is by far and away the best one that was presented to us, from a user perspective, a business perspective and a protection perspective.

    No one from SEGA or SI would say that using the system that we are means that the game will not be cracked at some point. It's bound to be. But with the exception of FM2009, every version of FM has been available to pirate before the retail release. During that few days, every year, retail see pre-orders being cancelled. Every year retail see pre-orders not being collected, even those with "free gifts" and where deposits have been paid. If it can be made that those people who legitimately buy our games this year get to play it before those that are pirating, that will be a good thing. If it can be that way for a few months, weeks, or even days, after that release, we do believe it will make a big difference.

    We are also not saying that we believe that if the game isn't cracked, all of those previous pirates will buy it. I do not believe that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale. The vast majority of people who pirate it won't pay the money for it, certainly not at launch. But I do believe that a proportion of them will do. And those extra sales, for however long the game can be protected, will lead to an increase in dev budgets, and therefore better, or more, games for all.

    Dave gave some stats out earlier which were slightly inaccurate. It's not the case that there are 3 people playing pirated copies of FM for every 1 legitimate customer - there are more than 4 people playing pirated copies of FM for every legitimate customer. And to the question on whether that takes into account people who have bought who play with CD cracks, it doesn't matter, as even if every single person who bought FM played with a CD crack, there would still be 3 people playing pirated versions for each 1 legitimate customer who has decided to install a 3rd party, illegal in the majority of countries, CD crack.

    There are people claiming on here that the reason for doing this is just to kill the second hand market. That's simply not true - it didn't even come into the conversation when discussing protection for this year. According to the licensing agreement for the game, whether you've read it or not, it's against the license to re-sell the game. As it is for the vast majority of PC games. The vast majority of retailers who deal in second hand games do not trade in PC games, whatever the protection is. And the replayability factor of FM is huge, so second hand isn't something that has affected us in a major way at all.

    One big thing that was taken into account when looking at the various systems available was how many people, given the choice with FM11 of whether to install the game via Steam or without Steam, chose to install via Steam. The results surprised me, with the majority of people deciding to install through Steam.

    There've been questions about what I think of the reaction, given that it's 17 pages so far. Well, obviously I'm disappointed when anyone says they aren't going to buy our next release, and I doubt there's anything that I'll be saying here that will appease those people. But the reality is that those being negative in the 17 pages are mainly the same people - about 50 in total. The negative reaction from a few people is very similar to that when Total War announced that they were going down this route. And when Civ went down this route. I'm sure both Creative Assembly and Firaxis were just as disappointed to be losing some long term customers as I am - but that doesn't change the decision that has been made, nor change my belief that from the options we had, it's the best one for all.

    We will, continuously, look for other ways to provide our games to people as long as it doesn't compromise the security that is needed. I've been vocal about how I really like the OnLive system, for example, and this is something we'll continue to investigate. That does require you to register, though, and does require an internet connection permanently to play, so certainly won't suit all if we do go down that route.

    There've been many posts about the problem being the installation of third party software on your machine, but that's just a part of life when it comes to PC games. Whether that be Direct X, graphics drivers, Windows/MacOS, font rendering technology, web browsing tech or other middleware, anytime you install a game, or application on your computer, you require third party software.

    People have also asked "what about those who don't have an internet connection". When we had activation for FM2009 which was done both online and via telephone, less than 4% of people, globally, chose to use the telephone route. Some of these people had a net connection, but didn't want to authenticate that way (as per the huge threads at that time). So, again whilst it's disappointing that some people genuinely don't have a net connection and might miss out, this was taken into account with the overall decision, and there wasn't an option presented to me by SEGA this year that didn't involve purely online activation.

    There has also been talk about other PC titles on here that will get your money instead. I've seen the following being mentioned so far (apologies if I've missed any) - Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa Manager, FIFA, Batman & Rage. Battlefield, FIFA Manager & FIFA on PC will all require EA's online system, called Origin, and for you to register with them. Rage is Steamworks, as we are. Call of Duty uses Activision's new online system. I do not know about Batman's authentication method, or whether it has one.

    You've asked how we're letting people know about this. Well, apart from the forum thread, there was a mailshot on Friday to hundreds of thousands of our registered customers to let them know about it, as well as telling them about the blogs and the release date. Since then, pre-orders have gone up massively with our pre-order position at Amazon in the UK (for example) going up from the mid 20's into the top 10, peaking at 5 and currently at 7, which is way higher than we normally are at this time of year. There will also be, front of pack in between the SI logo and the age rating, in big letters, the words "requires internet connection to activate", which was insisted upon by me for us to be able to go ahead with this. I will be chasing SEGA first thing on Monday to ensure that all retailers who have packshots online switch to the final packshot, rather than the one they are currently using.

    I, like many of the people who aren't happy with the decision, am also a very principled person. There are certain chains that I don't eat at. There's even a local sandwich shop that I won't go to anymore as they wouldn't change the bun on a sandwich I wanted (the original had sesame seeds on them, and I have a nut allergy) when they'd done so dozens of times in the past. I am well aware that some people will not buy the game purely on principle because we have gone Steam only this year and, as I said above, I'm very disappointed by that. Despite my own principles though, I fully understand and support the decision that has been made, given the options presented.

    I also think that Steam itself is fantastic. I have more than 80 games on my account. They are massively helpful at every turn to help us get the game integrated with their features, like achievements, and allowing people with PC's & Mac's to be able to play games on both systems. SEGA's customer support team will be on hand if anyone does have an issue, as always, on top of Steam's support.

    So, that's my opinion on the 17 pages that I've read so far. As I said, it's not going to appease all those who are anti, as some of those who are anti will only be happy if the decision is reversed, and it isn't going to be. Hopefully, though, some of the points I've made will appease some of you.

    There are 2 questions that I haven't been able to answer that I do think need answering, which are how do people in countries where the game isn't sold play, and what about people in the forces who don't have net connections. Those are things for SEGA to look into, and I would hope that they would get back to you on those.

  84. #2684
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I bet you're mad that shops don't sell the latest charts on vinyl any more too?
    What are 'latest charts'? I just happen to think your statement;
    I think it's acceptable that having a home internet connection is a minimum requirement.
    is unnecessary. What was its purpose? Other than dismissing huge sections of the world's population that is.
    A minimum requirement for what? Being able to make these kind of statements I suppose!

  85. #2685
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    A Brick Wall......good on them for trying...sigh.... doesn't mean the games are not already pirated....the only reason I say that piracy is not a valid reason to offer other alternatives is because all of these games can be downloaded now for free....Have I ever said it is not worth trying? ......why do you seem to think that if there is an alternative offered it can't have DRM or some purchase method...how about a phone in system........if as you say the numbers a re so small.......then a phone in system or similar would be easy ....severely stubborn selfish people. One day when you have a problem with being able to play a game, let's see ten.

    You seem so determined that Sega not offer anything for the people who need something. Why? Heavens knows...It would ruin your day I guess . I really feel sad knowing about the attitude of people here...selfish.
    I'm not even buying FM12, I'm not a Sega or SI or FM fanboy, I just see the justification in their choice. You seem just as stubborn to prove that I'm wrong, does that mean you're a saddo too?

  86. #2686
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    What are 'latest charts'? I just happen to think your statement; is unnecessary. What was its purpose? Other than dismissing huge sections of the world's population that is.
    A minimum requirement for what? Being able to make these kind of statements I suppose!


    A minimum requirement for being able to play a modern PC computer game. In the same way that I think a band only selling songs digitally and having a device to play their songs is a valid minimum requirement. Or a film release only being on Bluray is a valid minimum requirement.

  87. #2687
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th August 2007
    Posts
    8,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    What are 'latest charts'? I just happen to think your statement; is unnecessary. What was its purpose? Other than dismissing huge sections of the world's population that is.
    A minimum requirement for what? Being able to make these kind of statements I suppose!
    I'm sorry but that huge section of the global population who do not have access the internet are also unlikely to be part of the PC gaming consumer base.

    Based on Miles' post I accept that as a commercial decision on the numbers available from previous releases the choice was/is correct.

  88. #2688
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
    But why you get mad at this? Ultimate it's a decision that bennefit SI, witch means... SI will continue to have the resources to make the game!
    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    if they are "loyal" and "die Hard", then surely they just buy the game anyway?
    @ Milnerpoint - SI & SEGA seem to agree with you, taking their existing customers for granted.

    @ Keyzer Soze - I originally was questioning the agenda of SI & SEGA. To try to see why they are making customers keep steam installed even though many don't want it. I don't believe that going through steam will have any significant benefit to them. I believe that people who get copied versions of the game or cracked versions etc won't decide to buy it because it is now linked to steam. It will still be inevitably be available FOC from somewhere. So why risk alienating your existing customers?

    I think the answer is that SI/SEGA decided that they wanted to try and get more customers by reducing piracy because it costs them (SI/SEGA) less than making the legitimate version of the game more appealing than pirated copies because they're not paying steam for this activation service. But this involves irritating many of their existing customers, which I think damages the good relationship SI has built with it's customers.

    If you already have steam you have no problems. But I don't want it, I also am not keen on SI/SEGA taking its existing customer base (without steam) for granted.

  89. #2689
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    If you already have steam you have no problems. But I don't want it, I also am not keen on SI/SEGA taking its existing customer base (without steam) for granted.
    I dont have steam! Never install it on any computer i've own, and never had the intented to do it.
    But, FM is my favourite game, so in order to play it, i dont mind making "sacrifices".

    Two years ago, the sacrifice was buying a new laptop!
    This years... is installing steam!

    Would i rather continue to play FM without installing steam? Of course! But would i prefer stop playing FM for not install steam? Of course ... not!

  90. #2690
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    No one is being taken for granted or screwed over or anything, you are a customer of a game, unless you release downloadable content you are nothing more, even if in your head you think your the savior of SI. You are not affiliated with SI or SEGA and you do not owe them or them owe you anything. You either buy the game or not, simple as, stop thinking your anything more than just a number on a database. But you seem to suggest that the average FMer is a thief who would rather steal the game than use a 3rd party tool, i'm sure that fills SI with so much good feeling about their "loyal, die hard" fanbase, anyone who steals the game rather than use steam this year is not a fan of the game, they are a criminal only interested in themselves, if you think any other way your completely deluded.
    SI have not irritated many of their customers, they have irritated a few vocal forum members, they already sell a very large number of copies through Steam, and i can imagine the vast majority of FMer's either use steam, or dont really care either way. A very tiny minority wont buy the game this year, again dont kid yourself otherwise.

  91. #2691
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    25th October 2006
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    Paradox will use steam because it is a retail venue with access to many customers, not for there anti-piracy abilities.
    It would be rather hypocritical to ditch their DRM policy to sell their games on a portal that didn't fit with that policy. They must think Steam adds value to customers of their games that is worth more then the inconviences of the DRM.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron70 View Post
    And??.....the argument is that Sega should offer options like Paradox do. You seem to think we are saying NO STEAM...no we are saying how about options for those who do not want to use steam.
    Because they are not going to release a game without DRM like Paradox does. So any other DRM option is going cost extra resources to implement and maintain.

  92. #2692
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    So I reckon Sega using Steam as a method to deter people from pirating FM has absolutely nothing in common with the government using the presence of police to deter people from committing crime?
    I think you be reckoning right. It isn't the presence of the police that deters people from committing crime.

  93. #2693
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th June 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Common sense still hasn't prevailed I see................so disappointing

  94. #2694
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd June 2009
    Location
    Barreiro, Portugal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iantevans View Post
    Common sense still hasn't prevailed I see................so disappointing
    common sense?!?!? NEVER!!!

  95. #2695
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigfacemonkeyman View Post
    I think you be reckoning right. It isn't the presence of the police that deters people from committing crime.
    so what is it then?

  96. #2696
    Amateur
    Join Date
    30th October 2009
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    No one is being taken for granted or screwed over or anything, you are a customer of a game, unless you release downloadable content you are nothing more, even if in your head you think your the savior of SI. You are not affiliated with SI or SEGA and you do not owe them or them owe you anything. You either buy the game or not, simple as, stop thinking your anything more than just a number on a database. But you seem to suggest that the average FMer is a thief who would rather steal the game than use a 3rd party tool, i'm sure that fills SI with so much good feeling about their "loyal, die hard" fanbase, anyone who steals the game rather than use steam this year is not a fan of the game, they are a criminal only interested in themselves, if you think any other way your completely deluded.
    SI have not irritated many of their customers, they have irritated a few vocal forum members, they already sell a very large number of copies through Steam, and i can imagine the vast majority of FMer's either use steam, or dont really care either way. A very tiny minority wont buy the game this year, again dont kid yourself otherwise.
    I take it that was aimed at my post above. The saviour of SI? I don't see your point? I have at no point suggested the average FMer is a thief, in fact SI/SEGA seem more of that opinion than anyone (4 thieves to 1 buyer were sega's stats). Do you think I'm trying to agree with piracy or something?

    Have you read any of my other posts on this thread?

    I have repeatedly said that SI have left you 2 choices, download steam OR don't play FM. Not download steam or get a pirate copy. I totally disagree with piracy it's stealing after all.

  97. #2697
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    I'm not even buying FM12, I'm not a Sega or SI or FM fanboy, I just see the justification in their choice. You seem just as stubborn to prove that I'm wrong, does that mean you're a saddo too?
    No...just somebody who would rather look out for the welfare of gamer who will have a game withheld from them. I really don't care if that was just 1000 people. But as I said...people would rather poor old Sega were not caused any inconvenience. Sign of the times I guess. Even though it means nothing to people here whether Sega give an option, it does mean something to those people who are not...Instead we get sarcastic remarks (vinyl records, Paradox the powerhouse of gaming).......any decent points are just brick walled.....sad. Gamers community???? Nope.

  98. #2698
    Reserves
    Join Date
    9th November 2010
    Location
    Standing free, wherever i may be
    Posts
    14,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddymunster View Post
    I take it that was aimed at my post above. The saviour of SI? I don't see your point? I have at no point suggested the average FMer is a thief, in fact SI/SEGA seem more of that opinion than anyone (4 thieves to 1 buyer were sega's stats). Do you think I'm trying to agree with piracy or something?

    Have you read any of my other posts on this thread?

    I have repeatedly said that SI have left you 2 choices, download steam OR don't play FM. Not download steam or get a pirate copy. I totally disagree with piracy it's stealing after all.
    Sorry that was an exaggerated point that added nothing to the post!
    The rest wasnt directed at you exactly, just the general feel i get from this thread. Stealing is seen as ok and not really worth fighting.

  99. #2699
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    7th July 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milnerpoint View Post
    It would appear the general thought is theft is ok, under certain circumstances because SI have given people no choice but to steal. I think it stands tho, why bother policing anything at all, people have broken practically every law there is to break, do these people stop doing what they do if you take away the laws? With the same thought do people stop stealing games if there is no DRM?
    How the hell did you come to that conclusion? Show the evidence. Name the people and their posts that have this 'General Thought'. :mad:

  100. #2700
    aaron70
    Guest

    Default

    t would appear the general thought is theft is ok, under certain circumstances because SI have given people no choice but to steal. I think it stands tho, why bother policing anything at all, people have broken practically every law there is to break, do these people stop doing what they do if you take away the laws? With the same thought do people stop stealing games if there is no DRM?

    Wow...this suggest what I said was true...not even reading posts being made. I certainly have never suggested tht anybody SHOULD steal the game.

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts